FY-22 Chief Selection Board

On 8/18/2021 at 6:13 AM, mmn1ss said:

With the coming release date, let us have to annual question "Why would you get picked up? Why not?" And being a gentleman, and in some circles a scholar, I am willing to start!

Why get picked: I have documented SSP going back ~4 years, LPO at sea, FCPOA involvement, command collaterals with documented impact, mentoring of junior sailors (not as well documented), SOY and SOQ just recently at a new command, college degree.

Why NOT: go back a few years and I have a ranked 'P', went recruiting as a nuke (this is a black eye in my community), have not documented my mentoring well enough on evals, and >10 yrs TIR as a MMN1 (I have to assume this hurts me).

Why S: SOY, Dept LPO tour, command impact, 360 involvement, FCPOA involvement, Full EP record except for made rank P and welcome aboard P, degree, IT Watch Quals/Certs, SEJPME, #1 evals X2.

Why N: 8 years in the Navy, Don't have LPO at Sea as a first class (have Supervisor though), No documented Command Training Team. 

• Like 1

Guest CrookedJack
16 hours ago, NavyDude said:

Another year, another not selected.

Terminal pay grade reached and tired of the games.

First time up for active CPO and I've pretty much resigned myself to retiring as a FCPO.  I've still had a good run and am enjoying my time regardless.  God has been good to me with regards to my naval career.  Can I ask what you did to try and stand out?  What do you think prevented your selection?

Hey All Just wanted to say I've been around this forum lurking for a long time. 

at 21.5 yrs in the Navy (6 months from Reserve HYT) 14.5 of those as a FCPO and 12 yrs board eligible. I was finally selected on my last try. Here is the advice i will give you.

10 things to help you get selected. 

1. Never give up! Even after hearing non-select 11 times I still kept striving not just for myself, but for my sailors. Its not always about us individually its about our people!

2. Document everything - Community involvement ( put in for MOVSM if you are eligible, I just got my 3rd recently), Work efforts (take notes all year of accomplishments for eval bullets, have too much rather than not enough)

3. Mentoring - have that in your eval, especially if mentoring fellow FCPO's.

4. Education - any kind, in rate, formal etc. Get it and document it. 

5. Lead 360 trainings, EXW/IW/SW/AW etc trainings. Get involved in the command as well as your mess. Don't just show up, participate and document. 

6. LPO / CCC type positions. Shoot for them strive to do well in those positions. Any command level impacting collateral is huge! But dont just have the title show improvements in the programs and efforts to your job, its one thing to be an LPO or CCC its another to really do the job. 

7. Recognize your sailors - write and submit SOQ/JSOQ/SOY/JSOY packages and get your people recognized. Them doing well means your doing well!

8. FIX YOUR RECORD - Fine tooth comb, check OMPF and PSR  - nothing else matters. If its missing fix it, if not, include in your package. I had 12 enclosures this year. I was busy, but also just couldn't get my record right in certain instances. Too many isn't a thing if its important to show your accomplishments. 

9.Evals - PSR review and check for gaps. I went back and fixed gaps from 2005 every little bit matters even if its a day gap, fix it. Its as simple as a letter to PERs you can do you self. If you dont know how ask around. Also RSCA is the key - you can be a MP sailor border line EP as long as your above RSCA that is what matters, fight for your eval. Pay attention to it. Its the most important thing in your record. 

10. Board packages - I had 2 master chief's, 2 senior chief's, 4 chief's and a YN1 who was a board recorder all review my record and package. More eyes are better than less! everyone will have opinions but find a balance get the important things noted and triple check everything!

That's my advice take it for what its worth. I help many sailors before me get selected.

Cheers and congrats to my fellow selectees. And keep pushing hard to the FCPO's out there who got the N or are just getting to this point in their career. 

Cheers,
ITC(Sel) Rice

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Awesome post, great story and congratulations! 

Thank you so much! Its been a honor and a pleasure thus far, and i look forward to my next challenge and adventure. Cheers to all!

Guest thirdrate
On 8/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, IT_Fun said:

3rd time up for me

Why S: Documented SSP, above RSCA  for the past 6 years on all but 1 welcome aboard P, fixed my OMPF from duplicates, finally received my EoT NAM and missing eval. #1 out of 6 at new command. Sec+ and PenTest+, couple of NECs on my LaDR. SEJPME 1, JPME, B.S. 

Why N: Eval only shows 2 months of LPO duty (I'm LPO and CCC now, but board won't see any documentation). No FCPOA involvement. No IW pin. Was with Seabees for a bulk of my career, not sure if that looks bad in terms of billet variation. Didn't receive an EoT from a command (not sure where paperwork went, everyone rotated out so probably a lost cause).

Congrats on the selection, good to hear you picked up while missing an EoT from a command. I'm missing one as well, so this gives me hope lol

2 hours ago, thirdrate said:

Congrats on the selection, good to hear you picked up while missing an EoT from a command. I'm missing one as well, so this gives me hope lol

Thanks, and best of luck to you! There really was no way to talk about it in the LTB, so I was just hoping the transfer eval showed there wasn't any sort of fallout or anything like that lol.

Thought I had a solid shot at YNC (Reserve) this cycle, but the competition must have been extremely fierce. Congrats to those who made it! It's definitely earned. This was my fourth time up and I really worked hard for it this time; I'd love some input from anybody who's made YNC about what I may be able to improve for next time(s).

For me:

4 EPs and an MP in the last 5 years, with documented mentorship, training lead, Admin LPO, etc. Corrections to record made, with every day now accounted for. 

DMSM from JSOC (mob) and JSCM from STRATCOM (IDT unit), MOVSM for work at a navy yard museum.

Two bachelors degrees (transcripts in OMPF) and a merchant marine deck officer license (mentioned in LTB).

Two warfare qualifications (IW/EXW).

PPME and JPME 1, documented on evals. 

No NJP or PFA fails.

Against me:

Only one AT in the last five years (mobilized one year, two ran out of funding, then COVID, explained in LTB. PIM from this year's AT submitted with LTB)

A P eval from regular drill unit in 2018 after returning from mobilization (New CO, only present at unit for half the year, couldn't compete with IDC FCPOs performing mission month after month. Eval explained that it was a factor of unavailability, but who knows how that was interpreted).

NAM EOT from a unit I was with for more than five years (award went through NOSC CO who didn't like the lack of recent ATs, even though it was because of their own budget restrictions).

Confusing regular MP from commissioned UMUIC (Seabee) with concurrent EP from TRUIC (STRATCOM). UMUIC eval is good but not outstanding, and based exclusively on achievements reported at TRUIC - I never drilled with the Seabees so that eval, which talks about me as a Seabee, is kinda weird. Explained in LTB, maybe not well enough. 

Three of my four EPs are detach 1 of 1 evals. Only the one regular EP lists a breakout (#2 of 8).

My best guess is that despite demonstrated superior performance, with that P and only one breakout, it's not as sustained superior as the YN1s who were chosen. I'd love to hear any other thoughts. My biggest concern is that, with my civilian job now keeping me offshore six months a year, I'll have a hard time performing in leadership roles versus people who can be there every drill weekend. I'll need to get creative to continue demonstrating the leadership qualities a board is looking for without being an absentee LPO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YN Merchant Mariner said:

Thought I had a solid shot at YNC (Reserve) this cycle, but the competition must have been extremely fierce. Congrats to those who made it! It's definitely earned. This was my fourth time up and I really worked hard for it this time; I'd love some input from anybody who's made YNC about what I may be able to improve for next time(s).

For me:

4 EPs and an MP in the last 5 years, with documented mentorship, training lead, Admin LPO, etc. Corrections to record made, with every day now accounted for. 

DMSM from JSOC (mob) and JSCM from STRATCOM (IDT unit), MOVSM for work at a navy yard museum.

Two bachelors degrees (transcripts in OMPF) and a merchant marine deck officer license (mentioned in LTB).

Two warfare qualifications (IW/EXW).

PPME and JPME 1, documented on evals. 

No NJP or PFA fails.

Against me:

Only one AT in the last five years (mobilized one year, two ran out of funding, then COVID, explained in LTB. PIM from this year's AT submitted with LTB)

A P eval from regular drill unit in 2018 after returning from mobilization (New CO, only present at unit for half the year, couldn't compete with IDC FCPOs performing mission month after month. Eval explained that it was a factor of unavailability, but who knows how that was interpreted).

NAM EOT from a unit I was with for more than five years (award went through NOSC CO who didn't like the lack of recent ATs, even though it was because of their own budget restrictions).

Confusing regular MP from commissioned UMUIC (Seabee) with concurrent EP from TRUIC (STRATCOM). UMUIC eval is good but not outstanding, and based exclusively on achievements reported at TRUIC - I never drilled with the Seabees so that eval, which talks about me as a Seabee, is kinda weird. Explained in LTB, maybe not well enough. 

Three of my four EPs are detach 1 of 1 evals. Only the one regular EP lists a breakout (#2 of 8).

My best guess is that despite demonstrated superior performance, with that P and only one breakout, it's not as sustained superior as the YN1s who were chosen. I'd love to hear any other thoughts. My biggest concern is that, with my civilian job now keeping me offshore six months a year, I'll have a hard time performing in leadership roles versus people who can be there every drill weekend. I'll need to get creative to continue demonstrating the leadership qualities a board is looking for without being an absentee LPO.

To me and I'm no expert... sounds like they ignored your 1 of 1 EP's because those are not competitive evals. They will look at your evals ranked against others. So you mentioned 1... they will go back past 5 years if they have to find those evals. what did they look like? as a mobing reservist evals become even more important and tricky. You need to make sure they are good to go. and the change with Truic's doing evals for cross assigned members should help make this all easier as well. If you would like to reach out id be happy to take a look and see what you got going on. 

V/R,

ITC(SEL)

Guest mmn1ss
2 hours ago, SpeedySeabee2018 said:

GM All,

Does anyone have a guess, as to when the active duty quotas will be released?

So they have been releasing quotas when the board adjourns. The NAVADMIN said the board is supposed to adjourn around 9/9/2021. I would expect it probably the next day, but we will see!

Guest Guns to CTRCS
8 hours ago, tomtcs said:

Does anyone have access to the membership data from this cycle so I can possibly get some emails out for some additional feedback?

The AD quotas won't be released until after the board finishes. The membership lists are always posted on MyNavy HR after the board finishes as well.

https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Career-Management/Boards/Reserve-Enlisted/CPO-Selection-Boards/

Congratulations to those selected. 

Now I saw the question with AD quotas but how about the results for AD. I know there is a letter saying Oct. But trend is a month after reserve results so normal trend or letter. What does everyone think