FY-22 Chief Selection Board

Update that a member shared: 😎 (thank you.)

Leadership Mess,

We are close to finalizing this year’s CPO Initiation letter from MCPON and the Fleets, but I wanted to pass a few bits of information to help you and your CMCs in the in planning process.

-This year we expect the Active E-7 Board results to be released on 04 October 2021.  CPO Initiation will commence once these results are released, and culminate with Final Night on 18 November, and Pinning Ceremonies on 19 November (with the typical operational wavier allowed for those two days).

7 hours ago, CargoGuns said:

I wonder if the SELRES board convened today as scheduled in the NAVADMIN???   

🤔 Oh yeah that's right:

d.  12 July 2021:  RC E-7 selection board convenes.  All eligibility 
requirements, to include any waivers, must have final approval and be posted 
to the records of the candidates prior to this date.

Guest NavyDude

If AD releases October 4th, FTS/SELRES might release around mid-August.  Does that seem reasonable with the board adjourning on 7/30?

2 minutes ago, CargoGuns said:

If you use the EESBD system it will populate your DoD ID in the letter after you click submit. You will still have to give final approval to the letter before it goes to the board so you will get to see a fully created copy in your tasks, and your DoD ID will automatically populated in the letter. I had the same question, but had to go and remove the DoD ID I manually typed in.

That is what I thought would happen.  When I view the LTB on the Verify step, there is no DoD ID populated anywhere...perhaps a different browser is the answer...

edit: I see now you mean after signing the letter and reviewing for final approval in tasks, it will be there.  Thanks.

Guest RedTape808

It’s almost that time! Couple days left for submission. How’s everyone feeling about their packages or chances at being selected this year? Feel like this is your year? 

just trying to engage in some good dialogue… 

Guest PropM

Any ideas on how to submit a LTB while PCSING. I have my keyboard, I can log into bol however document services or eesbd don’t load. I tried for a few hours yesterday and today, no luck. I’m in Sacramento on my way to the east coast. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

1 hour ago, PropM said:

Any ideas on how to submit a LTB while PCSING. I have my keyboard, I can log into bol however document services or eesbd don’t load. I tried for a few hours yesterday and today, no luck. I’m in Sacramento on my way to the east coast. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

I submitted mine from home using a Windows laptop and Google Chrome.  Not sure if that helps at all.

Hindsight, and for next year if this year doesn't work out, you don't need to wait until the deadline to submit...

Guest CrookedJack

Submitted 3 missing NAMS, my PME, SEJPME 1, and MTS certification as LTB.  Finished on my end.  For second shore duty according to my LaDR, I have completed everything, but my at sea quals and past evals will hinder me as I did not finish the major qualifications at sea.

3 hours ago, mmn1ss said:

Hello all, this year the thread seems to be low numbers! So I submitted my LTB and wanted to wish everyone eligible good luck. 

It's actually the discussion that is low, not the visit count, which is up. The visit count has increased enough that I've slowly started the process of adding memory and CPU power to the server. Don't know why people are talking less though.

Guest NavyDude

Just a FYI:

When you submit your LTB via ESSBD, your DODID is included in the letter.  You don't have to put your DODID on every attachment like some seemed to infer.

Edit: I jumped the gun and replied without reading the rest of the responses.  Ahh, such is life.  2 days until SELRES adjourns.

46 minutes ago, NavyDude said:

Just a FYI:

When you submit your LTB via ESSBD, your DODID is included in the letter.  You don't have to put your DODID on every attachment like some seemed to infer.

Edit: I jumped the gun and replied without reading the rest of the responses.  Ahh, such is life.  2 days until SELRES adjourns.

You don't need to include it on the letter, since as you stated it will be automatically included.

However, this doesn't preclude the requirement to have the DoDID on every enclosure (attachment).  Per NAVADMIN 050/21:

All LTBs and each enclosure must contain the candidates full name and 10-digit DoD identification number. Candidates must verify that the correct board number is on their signed cover letter.

Guest NavyDude
1 hour ago, uncaged said:

You don't need to include it on the letter, since as you stated it will be automatically included.

However, this doesn't preclude the requirement to have the DoDID on every enclosure (attachment).  Per NAVADMIN 050/21:

I guess I'm not getting picked up since my LTB has only the cover with my DODID.  What a waste.

5 hours ago, NavyDude said:

I guess I'm not getting picked up since my LTB has only the cover with my DODID.  What a waste.

Honestly there's so little transparency/feedback from these boards its hard to say if anyone will even care or notice.  I wouldn't count yourself out until the results come out.  For all I know, nobody sitting the board cares about this.  On the other hand, I'd think the NAVADMIN has it for a reason.

5 hours ago, CargoGuns said:

So after I submitted my LTB I realized I didn't sign the letter correctly in the standard Navy correspondence format (do'h!). My first time submitting and didn't think it about it. However, I'm thinking that the board is looking for SSP, and your eval write ups are the most important factor to selection, so who knows if it will impact my selection or not, or if anyone cares.   😐

Did you submit via ESSBD?  Or which signature are you referring to?

18 minutes ago, CargoGuns said:

1. Yes.    2. So I just mean the signature at the bottom of the cover page. I just signed it with a V/r, and my rate/ rank. But in the Official Correspondence manual and in the examples in the Navy adancement manual  it's supposed to be centered at the bottom  and just Last name, Middle Initial, First Name. But with EESBD it probably doesn't even matter since honestly I don't think it's required.

Hmm...maybe a symptom of my browser issues, but I wasn't able to tab over and add a signature in that part of the letter (above where it digitally stamps your DoDID/name).  It looked awful left-justified so I just let the digital signature stand on its own.  Just glad I was able to get it submitted.  All of this discussion on ESSBD leads me to believe that if it mattered that much, there would be better direction or a better example provided.

17 minutes ago, CargoGuns said:

Well glad to hear I'm not the only one who had issues. I agree with you. There should be better instructions. I would think the board now interprets it that this letter was generated with EESBD so it may not be formatted perfectly due to issues with the browser of your choice. As they say, don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough. 

Yeah, and the fact that the "final product" output squashes all of the enclosures into black-and-white disfigured images suggests (to me) that its purely the content they're looking at.

Guest Guns to CTRCS
18 hours ago, uncaged said:

Honestly there's so little transparency/feedback from these boards its hard to say if anyone will even care or notice.  I wouldn't count yourself out until the results come out.  For all I know, nobody sitting the board cares about this.  On the other hand, I'd think the NAVADMIN has it for a reason.

Now that the E8/E9 membership list is out.

To provide a little feedback; I was one of the recorders for this years E8/E9 active duty board and was one of the folks that reviewed a couple thousand LTBs.

We were really looking for 1 thing in electronic LTBs:

1. Was the letter submitted by the cut off time in the NAVADMIN

In the electronic version, you have to digitally sign them so that was always a non-issue. If you are submitting via email/snail mail, you must ensure they are signed.

5 minutes ago, Guns to CTRCS said:

Now that the E8/E9 membership list is out.

To provide a little feedback; I was one of the recorders for this years E8/E9 active duty board and was one of the folks that reviewed a couple thousand LTBs.

We were really looking for 1 thing in electronic LTBs:

1. Was the letter submitted by the cut off time in the NAVADMIN

In the electronic version, you have to digitally sign them so that was always a non-issue. If you are submitting via email/snail mail, you must ensure they are signed.

Thanks, Senior.  This is valuable insight to those of us a) new to the process, b) without a mess to lean on, and c) as inside baseball.