FY-22 Chief Selection Board

Guest RedTape808

While the board is being convened. Do you believe board members are using social media platforms to further “peek” at candidates? Or might fight for someone because they know or heard of him/her. Im sure they’re not supposed to but just saying. 

7 minutes ago, RedTape808 said:

While the board is being convened. Do you believe board members are using social media platforms to further “peek” at candidates? Or might fight for someone because they know or heard of him/her. Im sure they’re not supposed to but just saying. 

Interesting question. I never thought about that. My though is no. One thing I'm sure is that it would not happen during the board meetings because it is high paced as I am told. They have a dead set agenda. that would mean they have to look up the names outside of the board.

Guest mmn1ss
9 hours ago, RedTape808 said:

It would not make sense, because the question would be why would their social media impact their selection? And I would assume they are under some form of communications blackout, they would have to be to ensure the board does accidently release results.

2 hours ago, mmn1ss said:

It would not make sense, because the question would be why would their social media impact their selection? And I would assume they are under some form of communications blackout, they would have to be to ensure the board does accidently release results.

I agree and hope it is not considered but there are civilian companies that do look through social media before they hire.

Guest mmn1ss
13 minutes ago, Tony said:

I agree and hope it is not considered but there are civilian companies that do look through social media before they hire.

I know, and I am aware of this new pentagon push to exam our social media. I do not think it is something you look into for advancement boards. Honestly, if you looked at my social media you would have no way of knowing I was in the navy unless you asked why I moved every few years it seemed like. Did not mean to get in a uproar/debate about it, but watching how the navy/DoD has begun monitoring some things we do and worry it will become a requirement in the future.

9 minutes ago, mmn1ss said:

I know, and I am aware of this new pentagon push to exam our social media. I do not think it is something you look into for advancement boards. Honestly, if you looked at my social media you would have no way of knowing I was in the navy unless you asked why I moved every few years it seemed like. Did not mean to get in a uproar/debate about it, but watching how the navy/DoD has begun monitoring some things we do and worry it will become a requirement in the future.

That's cool, this would be the place to debate/ discuss it anyway. I absolutely did not know that the Pentagon looked at member's SM so that is news to me. 

19 minutes ago, mmn1ss said:

Tony, I put the link here but the story came out months ago about the pentagon pushing for a "social media monitoring for extremism and extremism ideologies". Hope it helps!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu/2021/05/21/the-pentagon-could-soon-monitor-military-personnels-social-media/?sh=fd7667d67bd5

Ah! So I read the whole thing. I see what the purpose is, to root out extremism but then could it be used by the board members for advancement eventually? Again my guess is no because board members already have an agenda that is set pretty tight but it makes you wonder if there would ever be a connection, possibly in the future.

Guest mmn1ss
1 minute ago, Tony said:

Ah! So I read the whole thing. I see what the purpose is, to root out extremism but then could it be used by the board members for advancement eventually? Again my guess is no because board members already have an agenda that is set pretty tight but it makes you wonder if there would ever be a connection, possibly in the future.

Yeah I had read it too, but I mentioned it as a slippery slope kind of deal. Like you said, could they possibly make the leap in the future to "screen" people via social media. I understand it doesn't apply to those things now, but the concept is there for future generations.

Real question: the debate at my command came up, is it good form to reach out to a board member (after the list comes out) and ask for advice on your record? I said that I do not see how it could hurt, but don't go asking "Why not me?" and instead ask them for honest advice on what you are lacking as an competitive member.

2 minutes ago, mmn1ss said:

Yeah I had read it too, but I mentioned it as a slippery slope kind of deal. Like you said, could they possibly make the leap in the future to "screen" people via social media. I understand it doesn't apply to those things now, but the concept is there for future generations.

Real question: the debate at my command came up, is it good form to reach out to a board member (after the list comes out) and ask for advice on your record? I said that I do not see how it could hurt, but don't go asking "Why not me?" and instead ask them for honest advice on what you are lacking as an competitive member.

I honestly don't see where it would hurt either. You are asking a board member to look for discrepancies 1.) from a different perspective and 2.) from a knowledge set that the Sailor does not have. I'll be following the SM military perspective now, thanks for that article.

19 hours ago, Tony said:

Interesting question. I never thought about that. My though is no. One thing I'm sure is that it would not happen during the board meetings because it is high paced as I am told. They have a dead set agenda. that would mean they have to look up the names outside of the board.

The board members MUST follow what is put out in the convening order and precepts. Going outside of that compromises the board. And you are correct, the days are long and the pace is swift - its is by far easier to select the best fully qualified if you don't try to introduce subjective extraneous data.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, LPOLCPOCWO said:

The board members MUST follow what is put out in the convening order and precepts. Going outside of that compromises the board. And you are correct, the days are long and the pace is swift - its is by far easier to select the best fully qualified if you don't try to introduce subjective extraneous data.

There you have it @LPOLCPOCWO is correct:
"You may not introduce anything about a candidate that is not documented in the candidate's record or letter to the board."

I looked at the latest copy and it pretty much covers it. I think every aspiring Chief should view a copy of the latest precept to gain some knowledge.

Good discussion 👍

Guest NavyDude

As I look at the membership, I question the fact that not a single person on my panel was my rate.  How does someone know what is "required" PQS for my rate?  You don't know what you don't know...

That being said, seeing people selected without the qual that has been told to me is needed to advance is disheartening.  You can't be "fully qualified" if you're not fully qualified.  Period.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, LPOLCPOCWO said:

The board members MUST follow what is put out in the convening order and precepts.

While updating my Military Service Records for Navy Enlisted Personnel, in particular the "scrub your records" section, I happened to randomly read some pieces that said words to the affect that aspirants for Chief should read the latest convening order and precepts. It reminded me of what @LPOLCPOCWO had posted about those very two docs. 😎

Guest NavyDude
On 8/26/2021 at 10:23 AM, Tony said:

I have zero social media presence.

Guest Guns to CTRCS

2 answers to the questions above:

If someone went through the trouble to track me down to ask me some questions about their record or general questions because they saw that I was a part of a previous board, I would NOT be upset in the least. If you go through the trouble and have the courage to hit me up, I'm here to help you out. Some folks here have sent me PMs and I gave them feedback on what they asked.

My money is on Sep 10-15 for AD E7 quotas!

Guest SpeedySeabee2018

Good Luck to all the AD Board eligibles that are still waiting on the results. I noticed that the forum has been a little inactive lately. Lets get this thing going….anyone have any topics to discuss? Anyone think the quotas will release sometime tomorrow? 

16 hours ago, SpeedySeabee2018 said:

Good Luck to all the AD Board eligibles that are still waiting on the results. I noticed that the forum has been a little inactive lately. Lets get this thing going….anyone have any topics to discuss? Anyone think the quotas will release sometime tomorrow? 

Hopefully they come out early this week would like to see them..starting to get a little antsy now that the board is convened and now we just play the waiting game until oct 4th.. plus all of our departmental moves won’t happen until they are released..so I’m ready to find out either way lol 

Guest CrookedJack

Good luck to everyone whos is up for CPO.  Regardless life moves on and enjoy the ride.  Besides the BCA and PRT are this week lol !  "May the odds be ever in your favor." -THG