FY-22 Chief Selection Board

6 minutes ago, Guns to CTRCS said:

Now that the E8/E9 membership list is out.

To provide a little feedback; I was one of the recorders for this years E8/E9 active duty board and was one of the folks that reviewed a couple thousand LTBs.

We were really looking for 1 thing in electronic LTBs:

1. Was the letter submitted by the cut off time in the NAVADMIN

In the electronic version, you have to digitally sign them so that was always a non-issue. If you are submitting via email/snail mail, you must ensure they are signed.

I know you can’t tell too much about the process but any common things u noticed on LTBs either good or bad? And what about career summary letters any preference? Just looking for insight and keep the discussion going appreciate it 

Guest Guns to CTRCS
1 hour ago, CargoGuns said:

1. Yes.    2. So I just mean the signature at the bottom of the cover page. I just signed it with a V/r, and my rate/ rank. But in the Official Correspondence manual and in the examples in the Navy adancement manual  it's supposed to be centered at the bottom  and just Last name, Middle Initial, First Name. But with EESBD it probably doesn't even matter since honestly I don't think it's required.

It doesn't matter for EESBD. For mailed in/email packages; just make sure it's signed. There were plenty of letters that were formatted differently this year. Formatting of your signature isn't your make or break for selection, promise.

Guest Guns to CTRCS
5 minutes ago, OrdieLife said:

I know you can’t tell too much about the process but any common things u noticed on LTBs either good or bad? And what about career summary letters any preference? Just looking for insight and keep the discussion going appreciate it 

Lots!

Bad:

1. Sending in certificates that don't have names on them.

2. Sending in LTBs past the due date.

3. Not signing your LTB.

4. Terrible quality products. Don't use your nokia cell phone camera to "scan" a document into your LTB. The images are poor and it's just a sloppy/lazy product to submit for YOUR PROMOTION BOARD.

5. Sending in unnecessary documents. Look at your PDS/PSR. If "MTS" is listed in your PDS, there is really no need to send in the certificate from 2013...........

6. Not addressing odd things in your record... If you broke sea/shore rotation, tell the board member WHY! If there is something that is funky, ELABORATE for the person reviewing your record. "I didn't follow sea/shore rotation because of availability of billets and I included an email from my detailer stating he/she is sending me back to back shore against my desires". Don't leave it up to the board members to guess why something looks weird.

7. MTS. If you were at a training command that did not have/offer an MTS program, address that in your LTB!!!

8.  EVAL GAPS!! FIX THESE TODAY. If your November 2020 eval isn't in your record, kiss your chances goodbye. This also includes smaller gaps throughout your PSR.

9. A 35 page LTB. Members only have so much time to review your record, the more time they are reviewing your LTB is less time they have to review your evals. My PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION is less than 10 enclosures, but of course, it's YOUR LTB.

Other items:

1. Do your PPME/SEJPME. ESPECIALLY if you do not have a college degree.

2. The Selection Board brief on MyNavy HR is accurate. If your interested on the actual process, review that powerpoint.

3. Make sure your PSR/PDS/OMPF are accurate. Some people, believe it or not, have other peoples evals/awards/NJPs in their record. Don't let that happen to you. Review your stuff, especially if you are eligible for advancement.

Career Summary:

So if you ask 100 board members, 50 of them will like them, 50 of them won't. My PERSONAL recommendation..let your record speak for itself and don't submit one. If you are going to submit one, only include data from your current paygrade or the past 5 years (which ever is greater). If we are making Chief Petty Officers, I could care less if you were the honor grad in A-school.

Hope that helps a little!

Guest HMC(FMF/SW/AW/IW)
1 hour ago, Guns to CTRCS said:

Lots!

Bad:

3. Not signing your LTB.

4. Terrible quality products. Don't use your nokia cell phone camera to "scan" a document into your LTB. The images are poor and it's just a sloppy/lazy product to submit for YOUR PROMOTION BOARD.

5. Sending in unnecessary documents. Look at your PDS/PSR. If "MTS" is listed in your PDS, there is really no need to send in the certificate from 2013...........

6. Not addressing odd things in your record... If you broke sea/shore rotation, tell the board member WHY! If there is something that is funky, ELABORATE for the person reviewing your record. "I didn't follow sea/shore rotation because of availability of billets and I included an email from my detailer stating he/she is sending me back to back shore against my desires". Don't leave it up to the board members to guess why something looks weird.

7. MTS. If you were at a training command that did not have/offer an MTS program, address that in your LTB!!!

8.  EVAL GAPS!! FIX THESE TODAY. If your November 2020 eval isn't in your record, kiss your chances goodbye. This also includes smaller gaps throughout your PSR.

9. A 35 page LTB. Members only have so much time to review your record, the more time they are reviewing your LTB is less time they have to review your evals. My PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION is less than 10 enclosures, but of course, it's YOUR LTB.

Other items:

2. The Selection Board brief on MyNavy HR is accurate. If your interested on the actual process, review that powerpoint.

3. Make sure your PSR/PDS/OMPF are accurate. Some people, believe it or not, have other peoples evals/awards/NJPs in their record. Don't let that happen to you. Review your stuff, especially if you are eligible for advancement.

Career Summary:

So if you ask 100 board members, 50 of them will like them, 50 of them won't. My PERSONAL recommendation..let your record speak for itself and don't submit one. If you are going to submit one, only include data from your current paygrade or the past 5 years (which ever is greater). If we are making Chief Petty Officers, I could care less if you were the honor grad in A-school.

Well said! I was a recorder at the E8/9 selection boards last year as well.

Guest NavyDude
2 hours ago, DocMix said:

A whole lot of CMC’s and SEL’s are going missing throughout the fleet 🤔

Mine is still here, but I've received zero information about the SELRES/FTS board even convening, let alone adjourning.

Guest mmn1ss

So going through BOL today under the 'CCA' subsection, I noticed the board convene date changed from 210809 to 210810 for Active E-7 board. Anyone hear anything about boards shifting/possible delays?

57 minutes ago, mmn1ss said:

So going through BOL today under the 'CCA' subsection, I noticed the board convene date changed from 210809 to 210810 for Active E-7 board. Anyone hear anything about boards shifting/possible delays?

Mine has also changed to 210810.

Guest NavyDude
17 hours ago, CargoGuns said:

Well must be officially adjourned. Good to see the quotas at least. I wish they included a percentage/ the total number of candidates for each rating. 

I guess that a person could go onto My Navy HR (NPC) and look at the community overview total and multiple by 60% to get a rough estimate.

Guest CrookedJack

I had checked my CCA last week and saw that I was missing an eval from 15MAr to 16MAR, when i transferred from shore duty.  FML can't believe I missed that!

Guest NavyDude
5 hours ago, CrookedJack said:

I had checked my CCA last week and saw that I was missing an eval from 15MAr to 16MAR, when i transferred from shore duty.  FML can't believe I missed that!

Well, that's on the edge of 5 years back, so you *might* be good.  The chief board shouldn't be a zero-deficiency Navy, but alas, without true transparency, we'll never know.

Guest Guns to CTRCS
6 hours ago, NavyDude said:

Well, that's on the edge of 5 years back, so you *might* be good.  The chief board shouldn't be a zero-deficiency Navy, but alas, without true transparency, we'll never know.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "5 year rule", that's an old myth. Your ENTIRE record is always available for review during these boards.

@CrookedJack I assume it's also missing from your PSR?

There is a difference when speaking about "zero-defect Navy" and periods of undocumented performance.

If you failed a PFA or went to Mast in your career, you can recover from that. (see PRECEPT paragraph 8.a and 8.b)

If you have undocumented performance, that's a whole different game (see PRECEPT paragraph 7.a).

And finally, please remember that the Membership is published after each board. There are certain things a board member cannot discuss, but there are always plenty of MCPOs/SCPOs and even CPO recorders that are ready and willing to help look at your record and teach you what you should be doing, or what you need to fix, or what you may want to include in your LTB.

Guest Guns to CTRCS
On 8/5/2021 at 4:41 AM, CT Arr said:

@Guns to CTRCS

Senior,

Thanks for the info, what about dodid on each enclosure? Was that an auto pass?

Auto-pass? Can you ask a different way? I want to ensure I'm giving an accurate answer but I'm not sure what the question is.

1 hour ago, Guns to CTRCS said:

Auto-pass? Can you ask a different way? I want to ensure I'm giving an accurate answer but I'm not sure what the question is.

Senior to keep the conversation going, in case OP doesn't respond. I think they are asking if whether their enclosures would be thrown out if they didn't put their DOD-ID on each submitted as directed in the NAVADMIN.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 6:43 PM, Guns to CTRCS said:

Lots!

Bad:

3. Not signing your LTB.

Other items:

Career Summary:

Good Evening Guns to CTRCS,

I was wondering if there was guidance as to the weight / consideration that having a JSCOM with "C" device or a Combat Action Ribbon would have to the board?

• Like 1

Guest Guns to CTRCS
1 hour ago, communicator said:

Good Evening Guns to CTRCS,

I was wondering if there was guidance as to the weight / consideration that having a JSCOM with "C" device or a Combat Action Ribbon would have to the board?

Difficult question to answer for a few different reasons.

1. Let's say you were a solid 3.0 "P" Sailor amongst your PO1 peer group for the past 3-5 evals but you have a JCOM/CAR. I would argue that you don't meet the SSP criteria as specified in the Convening Order and not likely a good candidate for selection. One event that results in a spot award or one deployment that results in a end of deployment award is awesome, but you really need that SSP aspect to be on the list.

2. Let's say you were a 5.0 "EP" Sailor amongst your PO1 peer group for the past 3-5 evals with a JCOM for a specific event. I would argue that your selection is warranted due to your SSP in your evaluations coupled with your "X" award(s).

Some commands have a strict "E6 and junior get a EOT NAM and E7+ above get a COM". Everyone understands that awards, and the level of awards at different paygrades, vary from command to command. So don't sweat it if you're a PO1 and you "only" get a NAM for an EOT. You should be concerned if you DON'T get an EOT.

On the whole concept of "awards", the minimum expectation is that you have received an EOT award from each command you've been at and it's reflected accurately in your PDS/OMPF.

I know that probably doesn't answer the question how you wanted, but there are 1,000 different variables that would go into that situation! If you're asking about yourself specifically, feel free to shoot me a PM and we can get more in depth.

Guest Guns to CTRCS
1 hour ago, I_IT said:

Senior to keep the conversation going, in case OP doesn't respond. I think they are asking if whether their enclosures would be thrown out if they didn't put their DOD-ID on each submitted as directed in the NAVADMIN.

I will always recommend following the NAVADMIN for your specific board and doing what it tells you to do.

I do not know of any LTB that was thrown away for missing a DOD ID on an enclosure.