FY-22 Chief Selection Board

Guest mmn1ss
1 hour ago, hermanao said:

Hi all, first time up (YN1), I have a EP record all the way back to when I was an E4. MY evals always show progress and I'm an LPO. Deployed 4 times as a reservist and I did fairly good on my exams. In all honesty, where would I stand? Since it's my first time up am I looked at differently or because I have great leadership traits is that a good thing? I don't have much command involvement due to being my units LPO, is that bad? Thanks all and best of luck!

So this is hard to tell, a lot of us in here are first classes ourselves asking the same question. What I can tell you from hearing other people, you have the documented SSP and it seems like the check in the box for leadership and such. The one thing I have been working on is the engagement with the FCPOA, do not know how much you have but I have been told it is important and your extras, like PPME, SEJPME, and such. It comes down to a lot of what YOUR community looks at as the important factors.

Side note: the bake sales comment was a joke because some communities look at stupid stuff like that. Had a HM at my las t command who swore he would never make it because he didn't believe in bake sales to earn his anchor. Smile a bit buddy, a little humor helps to break the anxiety we all are feeling right now awaiting results, and try to look at it as what it was, a harmless joke.

Guest YN Uno
2 hours ago, mmn1ss said:

So this is hard to tell, a lot of us in here are first classes ourselves asking the same question. What I can tell you from hearing other people, you have the documented SSP and it seems like the check in the box for leadership and such. The one thing I have been working on is the engagement with the FCPOA, do not know how much you have but I have been told it is important and your extras, like PPME, SEJPME, and such. It comes down to a lot of what YOUR community looks at as the important factors.

Side note: the bake sales comment was a joke because some communities look at stupid stuff like that. Had a HM at my las t command who swore he would never make it because he didn't believe in bake sales to earn his anchor. Smile a bit buddy, a little humor helps to break the anxiety we all are feeling right now awaiting results, and try to look at it as what it was, a harmless joke.

Good sound advice. I thought the joke was pretty good myself..(just another YN1(active, 15yrs total, 5 as YN1).

@hermanaoMe personally, if you haven't already I would seek out guidance from a board member from the community for good hard truth about your record and how you stack up against the ECP as @CargoGuns mentioned, and what you need to improve, develop, obtain, or complete then knock those out. Screen your record (OMPF, CCA, PSR) thoroughly for any issues. Board Member guidance two years ago to me was basically..Your doing the right things except wasn't competitive long enough against peers with hard breakouts. Stay motivated and stay where you're assigned if possible(my first ship company tour as a YN1 - Div LPO on TR in 2016 but left after a year and half and volunteered to fill vacant billet as ShipSec on an LPD)(not knowing this move potentially hurt my chances) but questioned not necessarily bc I went another ship but "why" I left the carrier even though I received a good current EP eval/award from LPD. (if I don't pickup, I will address this in my next LTB, which I never knew how to professionally explain it until recently without pointing blame). I had four other YN1s under me with no YNC. Long story short that was my shot but the YN1 under me who I trained made chief. Been on a path to greatness ever since and with good mentors but i'll be back on "uss redemption" in six months. Continue to take care of your ppl and remain humble..I believe everything happens for a reason! Stay the course.

5 hours ago, Confucius said:

Word on the street is the Triad will have results on Monday, 23 August 2021 for FTS/SELRES.

Yeah, NavyDude got the intel on that several days back, thanks though.

Guest mmn1ss

With the coming release date, let us have to annual question "Why would you get picked up? Why not?" And being a gentleman, and in some circles a scholar, I am willing to start!

Why get picked: I have documented SSP going back ~4 years, LPO at sea, FCPOA involvement, command collaterals with documented impact, mentoring of junior sailors (not as well documented), SOY and SOQ just recently at a new command, college degree.

Why NOT: go back a few years and I have a ranked 'P', went recruiting as a nuke (this is a black eye in my community), have not documented my mentoring well enough on evals, and >10 yrs TIR as a MMN1 (I have to assume this hurts me).

Guest CrookedJack
2 hours ago, mmn1ss said:

With the coming release date, let us have to annual question "Why would you get picked up? Why not?" And being a gentleman, and in some circles a scholar, I am willing to start!

Why get picked: I have documented SSP going back ~4 years, LPO at sea, FCPOA involvement, command collaterals with documented impact, mentoring of junior sailors (not as well documented), SOY and SOQ just recently at a new command, college degree.

Why NOT: go back a few years and I have a ranked 'P', went recruiting as a nuke (this is a black eye in my community), have not documented my mentoring well enough on evals, and >10 yrs TIR as a MMN1 (I have to assume this hurts me).

Why get picked up: two tours as LPO, numerous deployments, qualified MTS, serving as an Instructor, PPME, SEJPME 1 completed. Mentorship and collateral duties (GMT Coordinator and CWSF program manager). 

Why I won't: four back to back P evals, missing eval in record, no FCPOA (sorry it's just a waste of time to me), no qualified senior in rate at sea. 

Am I worried. Nope. I remember this saying "The men, the mission, and me". Written by a former Delta Force commander. I go in that order of getting things done. One last sea tour and retirement. 

52 minutes ago, Confucius said:

Tony, NavyDude sent the memo saying the 24th, I’m saying the 23rd August Triad - FTS/SELRES.

Okay, cool. 😎

So we have 

• 23 Aug - TRIAD
  • 24 Aug - Public release

I'll assume 11 Eastern but if anyone can confirm, that would be good.

Guest mmn1ss
1 hour ago, CrookedJack said:

Why get picked up: two tours as LPO, numerous deployments, qualified MTS, serving as an Instructor, PPME, SEJPME 1 completed. Mentorship and collateral duties (GMT Coordinator and CWSF program manager). 

Why I won't: four back to back P evals, missing eval in record, no FCPOA (sorry it's just a waste of time to me), no qualified senior in rate at sea. 

Am I worried. Nope. I remember this saying "The men, the mission, and me". Written by a former Delta Force commander. I go in that order of getting things done. One last sea tour and retirement. 

I feel you, I have one last sea tour till that great DD214 in the sky takes me back. Your comment about the FCPOA was interesting, I found my first two commands as a PO1 they had really bad FCPOA, but the last one I was at we had to rebuild from scratch and I decided to have fun with it and build something that I could turnover with the help of the other involved PO1s. I hope you get picked up, but hey if neither of us do then I guess we just win the game by retiring anyways!

4 years till retirement!

7 hours ago, mmn1ss said:

3rd time up for me

Why S: Documented SSP, above RSCA  for the past 6 years on all but 1 welcome aboard P, fixed my OMPF from duplicates, finally received my EoT NAM and missing eval. #1 out of 6 at new command. Sec+ and PenTest+, couple of NECs on my LaDR. SEJPME 1, JPME, B.S. 

Why N: Eval only shows 2 months of LPO duty (I'm LPO and CCC now, but board won't see any documentation). No FCPOA involvement. No IW pin. Was with Seabees for a bulk of my career, not sure if that looks bad in terms of billet variation. Didn't receive an EoT from a command (not sure where paperwork went, everyone rotated out so probably a lost cause).

• Like 2

Guest Flipdash
On 8/18/2021 at 10:50 AM, IT_Fun said:

3rd time up for me

Why S: Documented SSP, above RSCA  for the past 6 years on all but 1 welcome aboard P, fixed my OMPF from duplicates, finally received my EoT NAM and missing eval. #1 out of 6 at new command. Sec+ and PenTest+, couple of NECs on my LaDR. SEJPME 1, JPME, B.S. 

Why N: Eval only shows 2 months of LPO duty (I'm LPO and CCC now, but board won't see any documentation). No FCPOA involvement. No IW pin. Was with Seabees for a bulk of my career, not sure if that looks bad in terms of billet variation. Didn't receive an EoT from a command (not sure where paperwork went, everyone rotated out so probably a lost cause).

Have you heard of PIM? Get with your COC to see if they approve a PIM for you but you have to do your reseach

On 8/19/2021 at 6:43 PM, Flipdash said:

Have you heard of PIM? Get with your COC to see if they approve a PIM for you but you have to do your reseach

Thanks for that, that would've been the smart thing to do! 

Good luck everyone

• Like 1

Guest RedTape808

If someone receives a “Hold” status during CPO results do they start the season with the rest of the selects or have to wait till that Hold is officially changed to selected?

Guest Secret Squirrel

Its 5 AM out here in Hawaii, no one is at work yet from my NOSC or CoC.  Was hoping the inside baseball was posted up.  Ohh well, still more waiting I guess.

Guest YN Uno
On 8/21/2021 at 6:40 PM, RedTape808 said:

If someone receives a “Hold” status during CPO results do they start the season with the rest of the selects or have to wait till that Hold is officially changed to selected?

So I can't seem to find any black and white on this but from my witness and understanding of previous "holds", a selectee in a "hold" status will still participate through the season, but just will not pin on until that member's case has been resolved with NPC. Been a couple years since I've experienced Holds, so not sure if that aspect of it has changed or not.

So for those new to the game, TRIAD (CO, XO, CMC,) got their copies (or have available to them a copy) of the results. Tomorrow at 11 ET you should be able to see the results and a public version of the the NAVADMIN will be made available to the public. This is usually 24hrs after TRIAD has received their copy. The purpose is that it gives TRIAD an opportunity to congratulate their troops first. 

On 8/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, RedTape808 said:

They will correct what needs correcting and then proceed.

Guest Secret Squirrel
1 hour ago, Tremain said:

TRUIC changed due to current mobilization so my NOSC doesnt see me nor does the command im MOBd with. stuck in limbo

Where are you mobilized?  I am on MOB as well and my CoC is having troubles getting a list.  Fingers still crossed that they get something.

Guest Tremain
1 hour ago, Secret Squirrel said:

Where are you mobilized?  I am on MOB as well and my CoC is having troubles getting a list.  Fingers still crossed that they get something.

Im in Sgionella, Italy, you? Frustrating to say the least. Im going to call ECRC tomorrow and see if Im still attached to them. Ill let you know what I find out