FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

It can sometimes be a disparaging tool too! I've got a NCC buddy who is looking at dismal numbers to SCPO but advancement to MCPO is awesome lol.

Guest seabee42

So I recognize some familiar names here. What are some of the things you did this past year to better your chances?

Also, what are some of the best closing lines you've seen on an eval?

Personally I've taken on another big command collateral, completed my BA degree, submitted my movsm in March and was told I should have it back to send it in, and vp of the association. At the same time my shop has stepped up their game and a lot of the guys have earned awards and jsoq's, jsoy and soq's.

Best closing- I've seen ones talking about wearing stars but most of them are like promote to chief now.

Guest AOCMAC

Numbers dropped for AOCM and AOCS this year whats your thoughts.  You think that means AOC numbers will be lower as well?  What have you seen in the past when this happens?

Numbers dropped for AOCM and AOCS this year whats your thoughts. You think that means AOC numbers will be lower as well? What have you seen in the past when this happens?

You have to also take in to consideration the Senior Enlisted Retention board, CMDCM/CSC program selects that apply for your rating. Take a look at the expected advancement to AOC on your Community Manager page on the NPC page. That should give you an educated guess!

So I recognize some familiar names here. What are some of the things you did this past year to better your chances?

Also, what are some of the best closing lines you've seen on an eval?

Personally I've taken on another big command collateral, completed my BA degree, submitted my movsm in March and was told I should have it back to send it in, and vp of the association. At the same time my shop has stepped up their game and a lot of the guys have earned awards and jsoq's, jsoy and soq's.

Best closing- I've seen ones talking about wearing stars but most of them are like promote to chief now.

The best closings or recommendations I have seen have some variation of:

-My highest recomendation for advancement

-The Best (insert rank) I have ever served with

The best closings or recommendations I have seen have some variation of:

-My highest recomendation for advancement

-The Best (insert rank) I have ever served with

"Should be wearing khaki's, a welcome addition to my CPO Mess"

"A trusted leader within my command and is most deserving of advancement to Chief Petty Officer. Do not delay, PROMOTE NOW!"

Guest hayes

Probably the best one I've seen so far:

"A Khaki wearing chevrons on his collar, carrying the weight of the anchors that should be there! SELECT NOW!"

Guest itdominance

Here are some from my evals:

Opening:My #1 first class PO and FY 14 Sailor of the year.

Closing: Enjoys my complete trust and confidence. Promote to Chief now!

Another: IT1 would be an asset to any Chief's mess. Promote now!

IT1 is a team player that puts his sailors and mission accomplishment first. Already performing at the Chief level as an E-6. He has my highest recommendation for advancement.

PO1 XXXXXXXXX is performing at the level of a seasoned Chief Petty Officer.

Guest itdominance

I never have much room outside of job accomplishment or sailorization for that much fluff.

you don't have an opening/closing statement on your evals? no rank among your peers?

Yes I do but opening and closing remarks shouldn't take up more than 1 line each.

There are two common thought processes IRT what you are saying.... (In this quote and your previous statement)

1.  There should never be any blank space on an evaluation, I cannot personally think of any reason or justification for writing an evaluation like this as I learned over the years to use method #2 (and that is simply my personal preference).

2.  The other would be the exact opposite, bullets that are concise and straight to the point that are 1 to 1.5 lines. This allows a board member to easily grade your evaluation.  Additionally, certain/pertinent bullets will easily be identified by using flag words, programs, and leadership tenants.

The reason behind my logic in using method #2 is, evaluations should not be a wall of text, It numbs the mind of the person reading it (which is a person sitting the board looking at thousands of evaluations in 17-18 hour days). In a majority of cases, there are three potential outcomes of a EVAL that reads/looks like this;

- It is either full of fluff

- A punctuated list of accomplishments in paragraph format (OR incomplete thoughts)

- Or a large run on sentence.

The common and consistent philosophy is “What did you do?”, “How did you do it?”, and “What was the result?”.

I am not saying either is correct but if I was a MCPO sitting in those boards, I would want option 2.  This would allow me to zero in on, and immediately identify your key selling points that you want me to see, and not have to sift through your EVAL to find what im looking for, so you could see that coveted “S”…..

…..Just my humble Two Cents, it worked for me, and three of my IT1's.

Guest itdominance

There are two common thought processes IRT what you are saying.... (In this quote and your previous statement)

1.  There should never be any blank space on an evaluation, I cannot personally think of any reason or justification for writing an evaluation like this as I learned over the years to use method #2 (and that is simply my personal preference).

2.  The other would be the exact opposite, bullets that are concise and straight to the point that are 1 to 1.5 lines. This allows a board member to easily grade your evaluation.  Additionally, certain/pertinent bullets will easily be identified by using flag words, programs, and leadership tenants.

The reason behind my logic in using method #2 is, evaluations should not be a wall of text, It numbs the mind of the person reading it (which is a person sitting the board looking at thousands of evaluations in 17-18 hour days). In a majority of cases, there are three potential outcomes of a EVAL that reads/looks like this;

- It is either full of fluff

- A punctuated list of accomplishments in paragraph format (OR incomplete thoughts)

- Or a large run on sentence.

The common and consistent philosophy is “What did you do?”, “How did you do it?”, and “What was the result?”.

I am not saying either is correct but if I was a MCPO sitting in those boards, I would want option 2.  This would allow me to zero in on, and immediately identify your key selling points that you want me to see, and not have to sift through your EVAL to find what im looking for, so you could see that coveted “S”…..

…..Just my humble Two Cents, it worked for me, and three of my IT1's.

I will use a metaphor for the goal of your eval. As an entertainer you should be able to complete your act on stage, drop the mic and walk off leaving your audience in amazement. Your eval should do the same thing to the board. The MC('s) should be able to identify your leadership via block 43 without ever meeting you and having no doubt your are what the Navy needs as a leader. It has taken me a few years to realize that. I am a wonderful technician but I have learned to delegate troubleshooting instead of fixing it myself. I have learned to take on the command collaterals instead of watching from the sidelines or making excuses about working overtime or coming in early.

I will use a metaphor for the goal of your eval. As an entertainer you should be able to complete your act on stage, drop the mic and walk off leaving your audience in amazement. Your eval should do the same thing to the board. The MC('s) should be able to identify your leadership via block 43 without ever meeting you and having no doubt your are what the Navy needs as a leader. It has taken me a few years to realize that. I am a wonderful technician but I have learned to delegate troubleshooting instead of fixing it myself. I have learned to take on the command collaterals instead of watching from the sidelines or making excuses about working overtime or coming in early.

It's pretty simple your evals are your application for the next highest paygrade.  They have to be written so that someone from any rate in the Navy, not just your rate, understands what you did and why it's important.  You are telling them based on what you did or what the people you lead accomplished whyyou deserve to be promoted.  Don't overcomplicate it.

Writing styles vary from person to person.  I try to stick to Who, What, Why, When, Where and How.  Who did it, what they did, why it's important, When if it's time critical, where they did it and how they did it.  Basically what did you do, how did you do it and what was the impact.  The impact is the part that people leave out and that means the reader has to make the leap.  That is hard if they don't know your job.

White space.  I don't leave blank lines, but you have to leave space in the lines or the eval looks like a printer puked letters onto the page.  It make it hard for your eyes to focus if there is no white space on the page.  BUT leaving an empty line means you wasted space so there is a balance.

Guest itdominance

Its a boring Friday so

here is block 43 from my last eval:

Leadership-  As XXXX LPO he leads and mentors six junior sailors in various rates. As lead network administrator he supervises 35 civilians in the Information Operations DEPT.  that supports over 5000 users and completed over 7200 trouble calls on four differing networks.

Sailorization - PO 1's passion for physical fitness has benefitted XXXXX and beyond. As CFL he oversaw the Spring/Fall PFA 2014 Cycle PFA's for 32 command personnel, reservists, and sailors from two XXX XXXXX tenant commands resulting in zero failures.  He personally volunteered over 50 off duty work hours to motivate sailors who needed assistance to stay within BCA standards.

Community Involved - Volunteered over 20 classroom hours for the XXX XXXXX Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) College Prep Program for local area high school students.

Initiative- Completed 6 semester hour credits towards his Masters Degree in XXXXXXXXX at the University of XXXXXXXX

Block 44: SOY NCM, NWC PMEC. Education: Bachelor of Science; 6 hours Graduate Level.

I left out the opening/closing statements.

As you can see from the last couple of posts there are many methods to the maddness that is writing evaluations. I do not believe we will ever truly know what the "right" way is but this is a great dialogue to help others better their writing styles. I said it in another thread, many times you will hear "As a Chief no one will help you write your EVAL" but that is balogna. Using mentors and peers as a sounding board transverses all ranks!

I agree with what you are saying RMC, wholeheartedly. I'm simply stating that I wouldn't dedicate 2 lines to a statement which (at face value) just shows your upper chain of commands ability to raise you up. I do agree with ranking though. It's what will show my breakout.

I agree as well, the maint point to be conveyed in either the opening or closing:

"The best and fully qualified"

You need to hit them on both, PROMOTE NOW.

Guest Blondie

Has everyone sent in their packages to the board?  What is everyone still waiting on?  I've got a few last pieces of correspondence I am waiting to come through before I send mine off...

Guest FCC_Thawk

Has everyone sent in their packages to the board?  What is everyone still waiting on?  I've got a few last pieces of correspondence I am waiting to come through before I send mine off...

I'm waiting on my MTS letter...  Hopefully I get it in time to submit.  In addition to that, I'm sending in the PPME certificate, JPME certificate, Engagement Control Officer letter (Tomahawk qualification), Combat Systems Coordinator letter, and MOVSM citation....  Seventh time up, let's see what happens.

Guest AOCMAC

I was told that it would be 5 years back from the day that the board starts. example if it convenes june 6th  they will look back to june 6th 5 years back.

Whats the cutoff for evals that the board will be looking at this year 2009 or 2010 ?

It should be 2010, but they can look back to the dawn of time if they want to.

That's what I thought, it'd be from 10-15.  I've heard the same as they can look back more years if need be.  Anyone heard anything on how they would break a tie or if a tie actually happens?

The word is that's when they dig further back to break the tie.