FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

It will be right after the convening date. Reserve quotas came out today, board convened yesterday. So I guess June 23rd for active.

Makes sense....

Gonna float this out there. Had an old Master Chief when I joined the Navy say "if you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin". Of course it's also noteworthy he drank whiskey during cleaning stations but that's neither here or there. Having said that if you haven't checked out the Selection Board Member/Recorder Training on NPC you should give it a look. It pretty much lays out the board process with pictures of what the board sees and everything.

Agreed, even after making Chief i went back and looked at the training....also take a look at the board members list. Don't be shy, if you know someone on that list, hit em up. Ask them, explain as much as you can with me about the process, have them look over your package. For example, I have a collection of CMC contacts that I maintain, 2 of 3 have sat CPO boards and the other has sat SCPO and MCPO boards. I use them as a sounding board for my evals, for my package ect. A lot of good insight with even the little bit of information they can "legally" share!

Guest NavySquid79

Package sent, now time to sit back and relax. I decided to send the summary again this year after a conversation with my CMC. Just curious, who else is sending in a summary page?

Guest kaput

I did. It was either that or send in about fifteen letters of des and certs that are only on evals. If it makes you feel any better, of the last five people to make it out of my office these past two years, three of them sent in Career Summary pages.

Health Factoid  :) 

Studies indicate that members without a profile pic are 82% more likely to get scurvy on their next long cruise. For others who do not make long cruises, studies indicate they will catch it when they hit the head on their next visit. This true fact was based on a study of 832 1/2 sailors over a period of six years and has a margin for error of 99%.

:5583:

This Factoid has been brought to you by NavyAdvancement.com 

Guest AOCMAC

Can someone give me a copy of their summary letter.  I have never seen one and would like to possible send one in.  I would really appreciate it.   

Health Factoid  :) 

Studies indicate that members without a profile pic are 82% more likely to get scurvy on their next long cruise. For others who do not make long cruises, studies indicate they will catch it when they hit the head on their next visit. This true fact was based on a study of 832 1/2 sailors over a period of six years and has a margin for error of 99%.

:5583:

This Factoid has been brought to you by NavyAdvancement.com

I'd like to know who was the 1/2 Sailor?

Guest ASMO ME

Can someone give me a copy of their summary letter.  I have never seen one and would like to possible send one in.  I would really appreciate it.   

Earlier (3 months ago) when i was looking at the lessons learned slides it addressed the summary letter. It basically re-stated the navadmin and "only include things missing from your records". it went on to say that your positions and titles should be part of your records already.

I was told to submit one last year, so I paniced over it and put one in. This year i am not including one as everything i have done is documented already. My package only included the actual documents of awards, college, PPME and the SEJPME...

Side not, for those un-able to find the JPME it is still availible however it has been re-configured and is now availible under JKO (joint knowledge online) under the title "Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education (SEJPME) E6-E9 Course - (40 hrs)"

Guest kaput

Earlier (3 months ago) when i was looking at the lessons learned slides it addressed the summary letter. It basically re-stated the navadmin and "only include things missing from your records". it went on to say that your positions and titles should be part of your records already.

I was told to submit one last year, so I paniced over it and put one in. This year i am not including one as everything i have done is documented already. My package only included the actual documents of awards, college, PPME and the SEJPME...

Side not, for those un-able to find the JPME it is still availible however it has been re-configured and is now availible under JKO (joint knowledge online) under the title "Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education (SEJPME) E6-E9 Course - (40 hrs)"

Do you remember where those slides are located? I was trying to find those a week ago and just couldn't for the life of me remember.

Guest kaput

Easiest way to findd them is through google. It's was made in 2012 I believe. It did say "only the things missing..." however, people are getting selected with them, they certainly aren't being penalized.

Oh I'm definitely on the side of Summary Pages. I already sent one in, first time in 6 attempts. I was just curious because my searches are turning up zilch.

Guest NavySquid79

There is much controversy over the summary page. The reason I went with one is due to my cmc speaking highly of them after the last selection board. Also, I have to think about when I am doing rankings or jsoq boards, I like bullet style packages that is easy to read and cuts through all the bs so to speak. I view the summary letter like that. One bullet style page that lists commands and break out evals, necs, service school and off duty edu, personal awards, warfare quals, dept and command col duties, and any other service quals (af, mc, army). I even put the location of each item listed within my record (eval, LTB, 1070/881 604 or 880, field code 33,etc). All that is left really is reading the eval write up. I debated it for a long time and actually made the decision to scrap it until I sat down with my cmc. Well summary or no, may luck be with all of us this cycle!!!!

Guest NavySquid79

I submitted a brief summary of just my dates of enlistment. As I transferred from a different branch if service my active duty time looks screwy. As for a career summary I didn't submit one because it's in my evals. My CMC said it was up to me but he also stated 2 things. The first one being the most important. If you chose to do a summary page, be absolutely 100% positive that everything you put into your summary is reflected in your evals. Secondly, he argued against it because he said "I'm not allowed to grade you off of your summary as its not an official document. I can use it for a reference but it's 1 more piece of paper for me to look at after looking at thousands already." Thing to remember is evals all look the same so it's a comfortable format for them to look at. No 2 people write summaries the same so it would take them out of the grove I would think. Then again I'm ADD so that doesn't help. When it's all said in done, in my humble opinion, the summary page isn't going to make or break you and will ultimately be each ones decision.

Isint it funny how two mc that have sat the board recently will give us completly conflicting information regarding them? I've been told the same regarding making sure it's all validated, but the mc's I have talked to have said it helps them out with the grading process, and then again some have told me its a stupid idea. I actually sat down with one and he had me print out my last five Evals and psr along with the eval history page. As I sat there I watched him go through my evals writing down notes of things that he was reading. After he was all done, I saw that he actually missed some stuff, mainly out of blk 44. This led into the summary page discussion. Human error was a factor here, however on the board there will be two mc's looking at our records, which may reduce the human error factor significantly, however it will always be present imo. i also know a lot of Chiefs that have been selected with them in their LTB, which leads me to think that a good summary page is not a detractor. The way I see it, we won't get any negative points including it, it's there if the mc grading my package likes it and if he/she dosent they don't can laugh and grade it out anyway.

Guest NavySquid79

Regardless, I think we can all agree a good summary page is not going to get us that "s" this year. But it may help getting to the last look, but After that it's all about the blk 43 imo. Our evals have to speak to the board that we are ready for that next step! This is the easy part now, just wait and watch the show! Good luck to all my brothers and sisters here! Personnaly I feel this will be my best look yet

Guest kaput

I guess it all comes down to the comfort level of the individual concerned. If you feel your best foot forward includes that page, send it in. At the end of EVERY conversation I have had with my MCs, regardless of their opinion on anything from certs to letters, the over-ruling guidance still stands: If it is important to you that the board see something, send it in. So long as it is substantial and verifiable go for it. I would much rather all of us here, brothers and sisters in the fight, feel like they couldn't have presented themselves better. I would help any one of you for the simple reason that you are the same as me, and with that I hope all of you feel as confident as I (and my Career Summary Page ;-). Good luck all of you, just one more week and we can stop talking about LTB's and get to the best part: w..a..i...t..i..n...g.....

As I have said before (in another thread?), I believe there is a lot of opinion involved in the board process. Don't get me wrong, no deviating from the precepts, or in an ill mannered thought process but "what I like to see". As others have said, it is a personal decision:

1. Let your EVALS speak for themselves.

2. Submit a summary letter in attempt to aid the board in easily identifying your best selling points as to why you should be selected for CPO.

The decision to send or not to send is purely your own, no one can force your hand. Best of luck to each of you!

Guest CBdive

Do what you think is right in regards to the summary page. I submitted one, for I think it will be easier to read for example; having an MTS qualification on an eval more than 5 years ago. That is a particular circumstance where a summary page would be beneficial. Trust your instincts.

Guest Blondie

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.   Happy Memorial day to all. 

Happy Memorial Day to you as well!

Guest ABH-RUE

I noticed in a recent post that someone is sending the Phase sheets for 365 is anyone else sending those? 

Also should I put how many pages are with each enclosure in my LTB   or should I not worry about that?

thank you!

Rue

Guest kaput

I noticed in a recent post that someone is sending the Phase sheets for 365 is anyone else sending those? 

Also should I put how many pages are with each enclosure in my LTB   or should I not worry about that?

thank you!

Rue

I sent in my 365 phase 1 qual cards. Just put them as one enclosure 'CPO Development Phase 1 Completion Cards'. As far as the enclosures go, if you look at the correspondence manual and read the BUPERSINST (not just what you find on the NPC basic info page) it shows examples of how to do enclosures. I did not put the number of pages for each enclosure on my cover page. Just number any pages after the first page of the enclosure as 2, 3...etc. 

You can find all sorts of these little discrepancies and either/or things. For instance, if you look at the NPC basic info link, it shows a LTB cover page with nothing but he date in the top right corner. However, if you read the BUPERSINST 1430.16F it clearly show in Figure 12-1 that you should have 1430 above the date for your SSID. It also shows examples of how to denote enclosures (without page numbers.)

I hope this wasn't confusing, I have been on duty for seven hours with just five to go :wacko:  Best of luck to you. Also, I am a strong proponent of sharing what you have, so if you need an example of what I use or anything else just PM me. I obviously haven't been selected, but I have played this LTB game a few times already trying.

Guest kaput

It is also worth mentioning that when I first sent in an LTB, they were looking for you to simply put Encl:  (1) Package of Items, or something like that. If you make it look like the examples provided and it is formatted like the correspondence manual dictates there is nothing to stress about. I have had buddies pick it up hand writing the enclosure numbers on the bottom of each page. Don't be just completely lax about it, but remember it is the content of what you are sending that they care about. Or, at least, that is what I am inclined to believe.