FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest Ordy

I sent in my 365 phase 1 qual cards. Just put them as one enclosure 'CPO Development Phase 1 Completion Cards'. As far as the enclosures go, if you look at the correspondence manual and read the BUPERSINST (not just what you find on the NPC basic info page) it shows examples of how to do enclosures. I did not put the number of pages for each enclosure on my cover page. Just number any pages after the first page of the enclosure as 2, 3...etc. 

You can find all sorts of these little discrepancies and either/or things. For instance, if you look at the NPC basic info link, it shows a LTB cover page with nothing but he date in the top right corner. However, if you read the BUPERSINST 1430.16F it clearly show in Figure 12-1 that you should have 1430 above the date for your SSID. It also shows examples of how to denote enclosures (without page numbers.)

I hope this wasn't confusing, I have been on duty for seven hours with just five to go :wacko:  Best of luck to you. Also, I am a strong proponent of sharing what you have, so if you need an example of what I use or anything else just PM me. I obviously haven't been selected, but I have played this LTB game a few times already trying.

When I was first submitting my packages I would put the 1430 code at the top just like you said, but when I gave my LTB to the chiefs in my command to review about 90% of said, "What is that?"  So ... because the LTB example doesn't require it, I went ahead and left it out.  Although, everything else is IAW the Correspondence manual.  I thought it may be brownie points for getting it perfect, but a MC told me that the more stuff you put in your LTB will require greater scrutinizing.  So I take a minimalist approach to it.  If I get the code wrong and someone catches it, it's a detractor or a talking point at best.  For example, I asked a MC that say the board whether I should write a short statement explaining why I did not hold a FCPOA position in my last command due to an administrative rule in the bylaws.  His response was to ask whether I wanted to draw attention to the fact that I did not hold a position.  If I were to include the statement then I would be telling them that I was not active in the mess.  

Had a discussion with someone senior to me, who said I should submit my profile sheet, because I scored well. I heard another say that it's not necessary because they'll see my score anyway, and when I said that wasn't true, they disagreed.

I have no intention of submitting my profile sheet, since I've already "made the dance", but have any of you been advised of this?

IAW with the board brief, only items that are missing from your OMPF should be submitted.  Your profile sheet is not entered anywhere in your service record, so some people on the board might be upset at seeing the profile sheet because they only have minutes to review each record and that is just one more thing for them to look at.  This falls in with the summary page that every one is talking about.  It seems like half of the people are recommending it and the other half are saying don't include it.  What if the board members that are reviewing your record don't appreciate it?  What if they are the 50% that are not fond of it?  I personally never include one because I don't want to gamble with my career.  If my evals are not speaking for themselves, then I need to take a hard look at how they are written and fix it..  The other reason I don't include them is that the board members have to "verify" everything submitted to the board and it MUST match what the evals say.  If I get it wrong or inflate numbers or add something I did do, but did not add evidence... well again, I don't think it is worth the risk.  If you are a stellar Sailor, then you will get selected or you won't because there is someone more stellar than you.  Find out what they did and do it.  Know your peers and what they are doing and do more than them.  The number one thing that is looked at by the board is your sustained superior performance in a multitude of challenging assignments.  The key word is superior and that is what the selection board is looking at.  Are you superior to the others they are looking at?  That is what I ask myself every cycle and when I am not selected, I know that there are other outstanding first classes that were selected because they were superior to me.  When my time comes, I will know it is because my performance will be superior to others that were looked at.  This helps me while I wait and when my name is not on the list, so I just keep chugging along, while taking the most challenging assignments at my disposal.  

Guest NukeET1FCFL

Hey all, good to see too much madness hasn't happened yet. I probably haven't seen it yet due to the fact I've been helping take care of my wife who recently got diagnosed with CHL (cancer). Have the quotas for E7 come out yet?

Guest FCC_Thawk

How long did it take for you to see that your package has been received by NPC?  I sent mine in on May 29th and it's still not showing up...  I'm beginning to get a little concerned, but I do understand that they are processed first in, first out.

Guest itdominance

just got back from TGPS (TAPS) in Millington, TN with lotsa pers Master Chief's in the class. I wanted to ask so much. Kept my mouth shut for the most part.

Guest AWFChief

Took about four or five days and it was listed in the package status page !!!

Mine was accepted today and I e-mail mine in on the 29 of May.

Guest FCC_Thawk

Board package has been verified received by NPC on the status page...  Now the waiting game has really begun to start ramping up.  My fingers are definitely crossed to end what has become known as "The Streak".  Hopefully my seventh look is my last.

Guest Blondie

I think most people send their LTBs in close to the deadline and that results in a longer time before it is processed and "received."  I sent mine in near the end this year and it took several days to show up on NPC's website, but in previous years where I sent my package in earlier in May it was verified as received the same day.

Guest AOCMAC

So my MMCPO said to me this morning " Did you see the results they are out "  Im looking at him like what are you talking about board hasn't even went down yet and i said that he was like I know just wondering if you knew and seeing if you had those butterflies in your stomach when I asked.  So ready for this to be over one way or the other.  

Guest EM1Norfolk

I've been lurking here since March. A close friend made the eligible list and he killed the exam so I know he'll look great in Khaki come September. Good luck, everyone

Two master chiefs who were in the board and one senior chief who were recorder of the board said FMS doesn't show up during the board, so "he killed the exam" is not different with anyone else making the board.

Guest laurar06

Two master chiefs who were in the board and one senior chief who were recorder of the board said FMS doesn't show up during the board, so "he killed the exam" is not different with anyone else making the board.

I'm sure that is correct. Just saying Yay. Good luck. Going back to lurking.

Guest Blondie

I'm sure that is correct. Just saying Yay. Good luck. Going back to lurking.

Every MCPO or SCPO I've spoken with who has sat a board has said the only things they can see are:

1) OMPF (and only field codes 30-38)

2) PSR

3) LTB

Guest laurar06

Every MCPO or SCPO I've spoken with who has sat a board has said the only things they can see are:

1) OMPF (and only field codes 30-38)

2) PSR

3) LTB

Thanks, Blondie. I don't have any info about what he submitted to to board. I am reading all of these messages to see what you all are submitting but mostly I am just waiting to see how it turns out. I not going to be seeing him til July so I can only wait and see.

Guest FCC_Thawk

Trying to figure out when this Convening Order will hit the streets and I am guessing since in 2013 it fell on the 2nd Tuesday of the month and last year it was the 3rd Tuesday, hopefully we will see it on this upcoming Tuesday (June 16).

I'm thinking the same thing with the convening order.  It usually comes out the week prior to convening.  I'm very interested to see the quotas, especially since FCCS (non-Aegis) quotas doubled this year from last year.

Guest itdominance

Fellow First Classes: need some help. I have been tasked with creating a first class mess at my itty bitty remote base. Could anyone please be kind enough to email me FCPO bylaws, designation letter templates, and any CPO 365 training presentations that you currently possess? I know I am asking for a lot but have a short turn around time to get this done.

Thanks,

Guest FCC_Thawk

Fellow First Classes: need some help. I have been tasked with creating a first class mess at my itty bitty remote base. Could anyone please be kind enough to email me FCPO bylaws, designation letter templates, and any CPO 365 training presentations that you currently possess? I know I am asking for a lot but have a short turn around time to get this done.

Thanks,

Sent you a PM

Guest seabee42

I'm thinking the same thing with the convening order. It usually comes out the week prior to convening. I'm very interested to see the quotas, especially since FCCS (non-Aegis) quotas doubled this year from last year.

Past two years in a row the convening order came out the Tuesday prior to the convening date. I second 16jun date! Another step closer.

Guest itdominance

itdominance, regardless of the size you can use that to your advantage. In regards to an eval write-up you are essentially starting from scratch a FCPO mess for an entire base. It doesn't need to be referenced anywhere that there were only a handful of first classes. Good luck to you when you do it!

never thought of it that way. Thanks. Hopefully I get this going and can hand it off to another in August