FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Might be a dumb question but does anyone look at your package, or someone in your rate looks at yours?

You are graded by somebody in your rating "group". As a GM, I could have had a GM/FC/ET look at my package, and maybe even a STG or MN. So yes, you can have somebody who is not 100% familiar with your rate and career path, but that is why they have two person integrity check to make sure the scores are somewhat close.

Guest Blondie

Does anyone know anyone that got selected that failed 1 BCA in the past 5 years that was board elgible.

From the precept:

"In selecting those you consider best and fully qualified, do not discount any eligible that except for a single incident , would otherwise be recommended for selection."

So based on that it would appear one failure is fine, providing that was their only adverse incident.

Guest CTT1 H

Does anyone know anyone that got selected that failed 1 BCA in the past 5 years that was board elgible.

From what I've been told by people that have sat boards a BCA failure is not an instant do not select, however it is a big detractor. So if your package is great and you have overcome that failure by taking on the CFL duties you can still be selected.

Guest Dusten

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but ensure your CPO 365 PQS is completely filled out with notes and signatures (except Phase 2 of course) before the results come out.

That would be well and fine, if all commands did cpo365

Guest BearsCubsBullsBlackhawks

That would be well and fine, if all commands did cpo365

True, and plus that PQS is a few years old now.  It can be used as a guide but not all commands that do CPO365 even require that PQS to be complete.  It is stated in the MCPONS latest CPO365 guidance (last couple guidance's)

Bottom of page 7 in the following link says:  "You may utilize (but not required) the CPO 365 Development Guide"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.navy.mil%2Fah_online%2Fdocuments%2Fmcpon_cpo_fy14_guidance.pdf&ei=J5-KVZLbE4ObNqLPgfAN&usg=AFQjCNG9vx0nANh0igEjJXwMSnVcfdSzBg&bvm=bv.96339352,d.eXY

A lot of Senior Chiefs on the board. Do they do package reviews and grading also?

Traditionally SCPOs do not sit primary as a board member however, I know one who did, it was a CTTCS two years ago. Voting members are those outlined on the members listing of said document.

Guest Dusten

It's tough to do in the fleet, especially during Basic Phase. I think CPO 365 involvement (PRT coordinator, training coordinator, events coordinator, etc) would carry more weight, at least at our level.

I'm on shore duty, but we are a commands with a 24 hour manning requirement and six sections that rotate shifts. Impossible to get everyone together

Guest Iam32

From the precept:

"In selecting those you consider best and fully qualified, do not discount any eligible that except for a single incident , would otherwise be recommended for selection."

So based on that it would appear one failure is fine, providing that was their only adverse incident.

This is vague doesn't really clarify will see when the results come out I have one hick up in my record and that's a BCA failure I got LPO out to Sea MTS at instructor duty and AW/SW JPME PME done. Talk to some Chiefs and said that BCA failure will get me passed up even with all the checks in the block I got.

This should not be on the forum

It's on the Goatlocker in public view and other websites. Why can't it be on this forum? If you see an issue on this forum please contact admin, don't post what you think should or should not be said on this forum.

Guest FUTURE MAC ZACC

Good morning Ladies & Gents, 

One day closer! I know it's early for this but my $ is on the results being posted on July 31st (Friday) or August 3rd (Monday).

Guest FCC_Thawk

Good morning Ladies & Gents, 

One day closer! I know it's early for this but my $ is on the results being posted on July 31st (Friday) or August 3rd (Monday).

I'm leaning August 3rd for command release, August 4th for public release.  In my experience, the Navy doesn't like to release results on Fridays for some reason.

Guest AWFChief

In my experience, the Navy doesn't like to release results on Fridays for some reason.

That's why I picked July 30 for Triad.  I believe the no Friday release is based off our shipmates who are overseas and a day ahead of us.  If they released on Friday, it would be their Saturday.

That's why I picked July 30 for Triad.  I believe the no Friday release is based off our shipmates who are overseas and a day ahead of us.  If they released on Friday, it would be their Saturday.

I'm pretty sure the no Friday release was originally created because of incidents of DUI over the weekend for celebrants

Guest Iam32

. I am in the same boat got one on my Spr 11 cycle as a 2nd class that is the only blemish, rank #1 out of 61 po1s, vice prez of fcpoa , movsm, masters degree, jpme, ppme, qualified as high as I can get right now and that one failure is like a darn scarlet letter

Will have to wait and see for that S if not I will say 1 BCA failure puts you down at the bottom even having all the checks in the block good luck to you.

Don't forget about us non-selects! Some of us find a little comfort in an adult beverage after they come out, too.

lol

There was a debate for the longest on this forum on why have a "no Friday" release when in fact these are adults going up for Chief.   I believe most did not like the Friday No Release. Then there was/are a few who thought it was not even proper to mention drinks in a celebratory setting - especially on this forum.  :huh: One even PMed me his disapproval when I told a someone who got an S that I'd buy him a beer. 

:5272:

Guest FUTURE MAC ZACC

I'm pretty sure the no Friday release was originally created because of incidents of DUI over the weekend for celebrants

I personally don't like this as a reason (not saying it's not the reason) because if you celebrate too hard and do something stupid then you shouldn't have been selected in the 1st place. Just the way I look at it.

Guest FUTURE MAC ZACC

"Drink to the foam", I remember hearing this somewhere. If we can't discuss alcohol in a forum amongst peers, like adults, I'll kindly see myself to the exit.

I agree as long as we aren't advocated getting completely obliterated we should be able to speak responsibly about drinking. People really need to stop taking themselves so seriously.

I personally don't like this as a reason (not saying it's not the reason) because if you celebrate too hard and do something stupid then you shouldn't have been selected in the 1st place. Just the way I look at it.

That was the main sentiment

"Drink to the foam", I remember hearing this somewhere. If we can't discuss alcohol in a forum amongst peers, like adults, I'll kindly see myself to the exit.

Well, that person who PMed me kindly exited but not by his choice.  :o

BBb)

Stay focused on your Sailors. The wait for me was worse than getting the N. Now I realize that I stressed myself, for no reason. If you put in the work (filled in the magical formula) then you shouldn't stress, after all this part of the process is beyond your control.