FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Has anyone else had any issues viewing their OMPF recently?  Some of my documents were not available for view and some were.

yes, someone in the SELRES thread said the same thing. I don't think BOL is done fixing the issue.

Guest CBdive

Has anyone else had any issues viewing their OMPF recently?  Some of my documents were not available for view and some were.

I was having the same issue. I hope this does not delay the board results to much however, I think it will.

Guest FCC_Thawk

I was having the same issue. I hope this does not delay the board results to much however, I think it will.

I don't think it will. As far as I understand all of the records have been downloaded prior to convening.

Guest Squidly

In regards to the question about basically being forced into back-to-back shore tours, I am in the same boat. I asked, begged and pleaded to get haze grey orders only to be put back on shore again, for a third time. The only concession I got was a letter from the detailer at the time, stating that my rotation was broken due to manning...yada yada.

I've submitted this letter as an enclosure to my LTB. How much weight will something like this actually carry? Your guess is as good as mine. I would say that it would hopefully count for something, but hope isn't an effective plan.

Just an experience that I wanted to share if any of you find yourselves being forced out of rotation.

In regards to the question about basically being forced into back-to-back shore tours, I am in the same boat. I asked, begged and pleaded to get haze grey orders only to be put back on shore again, for a third time. The only concession I got was a letter from the detailer at the time, stating that my rotation was broken due to manning...yada yada.

I've submitted this letter as an enclosure to my LTB. How much weight will something like this actually carry? Your guess is as good as mine. I would say that it would hopefully count for something, but hope isn't an effective plan.

Just an experience that I wanted to share if any of you find yourselves being forced out of rotation.

That is as best of an explanation you could ask for, basically straight from the horses mouth.

Guest hopeful

Hello All,

Newbie here :-)

Hope all is well during this trying time while we wait for results! I was talking with one of the chiefs at my command to seen about a special program I am interested in and he asked me did I check if it has a good promotion opportunity and I asked how do you check that he said every year they release a brief that say how many NECs within a specific rating were selected like for myself as a HM they would say like 20 IDC and 15 Surgical techs (just an example) if this is true where does this information exist? I tried NPC I did see the board briefing but its nothing specific up there for each rating and which NECs they selected

TIA

Guest NavySquid79

Hello All,

Newbie here :-)

Hope all is well during this trying time while we wait for results! I was talking with one of the chiefs at my command to seen about a special program I am interested in and he asked me did I check if it has a good promotion opportunity and I asked how do you check that he said every year they release a brief that say how many NECs within a specific rating were selected like for myself as a HM they would say like 20 IDC and 15 Surgical techs (just an example) if this is true where does this information exist? I tried NPC I did see the board briefing but its nothing specific up there for each rating and which NECs they selected

TIA

I have also heard this but have no idea where this information is populated.

Short of donning your Sherlock Holmes spectacle and scouring FLTMPS for hours (using previous years results) I cant think of one either.

Guest AOCMAC

So honest opinion here guys and gals. How many people out of 470 do you think will be sat aside immediately due to pfa failures, dwi other legal issues and just plain ole first time up not having the record built up and sustained superior performance ?  Just curious !

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

So honest opinion here guys and gals. How many people out of 470 do you think will be sat aside immediately due to pfa failures, dwi other legal issues and just plain ole first time up not having the record built up and sustained superior performance ?  Just curious !

Just a guess of course but I think that the pfa failures will definitely take a back seat as well as DWI. First time up I don't feel should be discounted. If you have been running hot even as a second class it should be taken into consideration. In some rates it takes some time to get to first class, so if a Sailor is working hard and sustaining that superior performance going up for chief, I think it should be considered.

Guest Squidly

Just a guess of course but I think that the pfa failures will definitely take a back seat as well as DWI. First time up I don't feel should be discounted. If you have been running hot even as a second class it should be taken into consideration. In some rates it takes some time to get to first class, so if a Sailor is working hard and sustaining that superior performance going up for chief, I think it should be considered.

I would disagree with some of your comment. What you are basically saying is that a hot PO2 is ready to be a CPO. Hot is very subjective by the way, considering that only recently have we been limiting the number of ep/mp E5 evals. If there is a rating that needs to be judged on a 50/50 E5/E6 performance scale - I'm in the dark. Besides, not really sure how you compare leadership as an E5 to a seasoned PO1. Apples to oranges, some are good for constipation and others for scurvy.

As far as PRT failures go, I personally knew at least 3 selectees from each of the last 5 cycles who were chosen. That's a pretty generic zero defect mentality. Is it a detractor? Absolutely.

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

I would disagree with some of your comment. What you are basically saying is that a hot PO2 is ready to be a CPO. Hot is very subjective by the way, considering that only recently have we been limiting the number of ep/mp E5 evals. If there is a rating that needs to be judged on a 50/50 E5/E6 performance scale - I'm in the dark. Besides, not really sure how you compare leadership as an E5 to a seasoned PO1. Apples to oranges, some are good for constipation and others for scurvy.

As far as PRT failures go, I personally knew at least 3 selectees from each of the last 5 cycles who were chosen. That's a pretty generic zero defect mentality. Is it a detractor? Absolutely.

Every case would be different of course, but the point I was trying to make it is shouldn't be discounted or at least not looked at. I feel this is a huge difference between a spot on second class who is a master technician and does his job well versus the second class who has been leading and mentoring sailors. In some instances the second class is the LPO of the shop and has proven leadership skills. Not always the case but it does happen. I agree the seasoned PO1 is going to have much different exposure than the second class like sitting in soq and Eval rankings. That was a huge change and learning experience for me when I made first.

Everything depends on the write up also. I feel the a pfa failure will more likely than not take a back seat to others but there are cases (some people I personally know) that have failed but have gone on to overcome that and become CFLs which is leadership.

These are just my opinions of course and totally respect your stand on the subject!

BTW Congrats to the U.S. Women's National Soccer team. WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!!

Guest Squidly

I agree with nearly everything you said. I wasn't poking you in the eye before. I just wanted to offer a different perspective - right or wrong.

The point I was trying to convey was that if you (generally speaking) have to rely on an E5 evaluation to show sustained performance, you're probably not ready for the next step. Keep in mind that the ranking and block 43 were based off a completely different summary group.

The best way I can break it down is, if you're superman as a PO2 that's the same as superman on Krypton compared to the next summary group to the right.

Keep in mind that the bulk of a ranking/43 for the PO2 is technical knowledge with a touch of leadership. Whereas an E6 is leadership heavy.

I think we're saying the same thing.

PRT failures will never help, but a single detractor from years ago does not automatically put you in the pile on the deck. Going from an F to a P (and CFL collateral) can only be a good thing.

Guest Blondie

What "sustained" actually means when discussing "sustained superior performance" can potentially vary from board to board.  I think this is one of the reasons they demand secrecy; "sustained" for one year's board may be different than "sustained" on the next year's board.  I also firmly believe (but have no evidence, of course) that each year's board determines their own criteria, within the bounds of the precepts, for who the shoe-in selectees are.  It is reasonable that they would want to identify those who clearly make the grade early so they have more time to spend splitting hairs with the Sailors who are borderline.  Again, I can't prove any of this.

So honest opinion here guys and gals. How many people out of 470 do you think will be sat aside immediately due to pfa failures, dwi other legal issues and just plain ole first time up not having the record built up and sustained superior performance ? Just curious !

As an AO? Advancement for your rate is hard enough as it is, there are a lot of senior PO1's in your community. I can only imagine a lot of those records (PFA/DUI) will immediately be tossed. 1st time up will go to a will be screened with all records by Might be slotted to a reserve pile if they weed out enough of the senior records. Keep In mind I don't mean senior only in the definition of 18/19 years but also In the sense of "Sustained superior performance" and "Best and fully qualified". Senior by tenure is just the nature of your rate.

Guest osiris0107

I agree with nearly everything you said. I wasn't poking you in the eye before. I just wanted to offer a different perspective - right or wrong.

The point I was trying to convey was that if you (generally speaking) have to rely on an E5 evaluation to show sustained performance, you're probably not ready for the next step. Keep in mind that the ranking and block 43 were based off a completely different summary group.

The best way I can break it down is, if you're superman as a PO2 that's the same as superman on Krypton compared to the next summary group to the right.

Keep in mind that the bulk of a ranking/43 for the PO2 is technical knowledge with a touch of leadership. Whereas an E6 is leadership heavy.

I think we're saying the same thing.

PRT failures will never help, but a single detractor from years ago does not automatically put you in the pile on the deck. Going from an F to a P (and CFL collateral) can only be a good thing.

I am not sure what you mean by "if you have to rely on an E5 evaluation to show ssp, you probably not ready for the next step." But I am ready for the next step and up for Chief and I will rely on my E5 evaluations going up for Chief because I am junior in time and they count towards the 5 year look back. Leadership is not an E5 or E6 thing because I work with E6's that have no business leading Sailors and I have E5's that are phenomenal leaders. Seniority is just a way to say that you have been doing something for along time, not a way to say you're a better leader. My rational thought is if you have 19 years in and they make you a Chief, then the member gives the Navy three more years who benefits from that?  I would rather the Navy decide who is great early on and make them the leaders of tomorrow sooner than later. I have always hated the "well you need to wait your time because you're new in this paygrade", I have out performed my competition since the beginning and have watched "senior" personnel receive higher PMA due to their possibility of HYT and not making First in time. I am deeply sorry, but if you cannot take the time to study for a test and put effort into something 8 to 14 times and still not pass, you need to move on. All I am saying is that as a Navy we need to drop the culture of SENIORITY because all I think of when I hear that is, old timers that lost potential or the drive and can't move forward so they gum up the track for leaders that are worthwhile and still are "Full Steam Ahead"

Guest FCC_Thawk

I am not sure what you mean by "if you have to rely on an E5 evaluation to show ssp, you probably not ready for the next step." But I am ready for the next step and up for Chief and I will rely on my E5 evaluations going up for Chief because I am junior in time and they count towards the 5 year look back. Leadership is not an E5 or E6 thing because I work with E6's that have no business leading Sailors and I have E5's that are phenomenal leaders. Seniority is just a way to say that you have been doing something for along time, not a way to say you're a better leader. My rational thought is if you have 19 years in and they make you a Chief, then the member gives the Navy three more years who benefits from that? I would rather the Navy decide who is great early on and make them the leaders of tomorrow sooner than later. I have always hated the "well you need to wait your time because you're new in this paygrade", I have out performed my competition since the beginning and have watched "senior" personnel receive higher PMA due to their possibility of HYT and not making First in time. I am deeply sorry, but if you cannot take the time to study for a test and put effort into something 8 to 14 times and still not pass, you need to move on. All I am saying is that as a Navy we need to drop the culture of SENIORITY because all I think of when I hear that is, old timers that lost potential or the drive and can't move forward so they gum up the track for leaders that are worthwhile and still are "Full Steam Ahead"

I have to disagree with you on some points.... I, for one, am one of those "senior" personnel. I've been in for 16 years, seventh time up for Chief. I have demonstrated SSP throughout my career but have not picked up. Do Sailors like us have to be put out to pasture, so to speak? I'm all for a hot running "junior" FCPO to make Chief, if they're ready for it. A good friend of mine picked up FCC in under seven years a few years back, and he was ready. But he is the exception, not the rule. I have ran into more than my fair share of Chiefs that picked up early that have no business wearing khaki, mostly because you can't teach experience. Now I'm not saying that you're not ready, because honestly I don't know you, and hell, I haven't picked it up yet either. But to bash a fellow first simply because he can't pick up due to whatever reason or is "gumming up the tracks" is not business.

Guest Dusten

Not all of us old guys ate gumming up the tracks. Like TLAM I'm also at 16 years and this is my seventh look. I was at the point I should have been selected at about 11 years, but made a misstep, saw the old man and received an eval that killed my chances at the time. Since then I've had 4 ep's, ssoy, lpo/acting lcpo at sea and 2 #1 ep's say that I'm not just gumming up the tracks. Every person's story is different, and every person's path different.

Guest osiris0107

I have to disagree with you on some points.... I, for one, am one of those "senior" personnel. I've been in for 16 years, seventh time up for Chief. I have demonstrated SSP throughout my career but have not picked up. Do Sailors like us have to be put out to pasture, so to speak? I'm all for a hot running "junior" FCPO to make Chief, if they're ready for it. A good friend of mine picked up FCC in under seven years a few years back, and he was ready. But he is the exception, not the rule. I have ran into more than my fair share of Chiefs that picked up early that have no business wearing khaki, mostly because you can't teach experience. Now I'm not saying that you're not ready, because honestly I don't know you, and hell, I haven't picked it up yet either. But to bash a fellow first simply because he can't pick up due to whatever reason or is "gumming up the tracks" is not business.

Well, if you are telling me that you have been up seven times for Chief my first question would be, at what point in your career did you start "acting" like a Chief. By this I mean, when did you start to look at the Precepts to accomplish all that you possibly could and then ask your COC for more get to the next level? When did you start looking at Chief Evals and try to accomplish what are in their performance trait blocks (i.e. deckplate leadership, professionalism, loyalty)? Have you been donating your time since the beginning of your career to your community, seeking higher educations (personal/professional)? The greatest part about the Navy is that they tell us exactly what we need to do and how they will look at us for performance, they take out all the guess work. I totally understand if a rate is over manned and you must wait your turn for two quotas to open up every decade.  

I guess my lengthy rant is boiled down to this, making officer or chief is not something that you decide to start doing at 12 years in the Navy because at that point your behind the curve. The decision should be made before the end of your first enlistment, so you can utilize the possible last 16 years of your career focused on making this Navy better.  In my previous statement I talked about people who were at about their 19 year mark, which I still stand by is not the time to make someone a Chief, nor invest more money into. 16 years is not the end of the road, but if I had that many years in I would be ensuring I was thinking about what lied beyond the Navy. No matter when you make Chief this job is not forever. Just know that all the people coming in the Navy are better educated then when I even came in 8 years ago. So we shouldn't be surprised that now more than ever the Navy is looking within to make enlisted Sailors officers and Chiefs earlier. This is why they shortened the time for LDO candidates. They were tired of Chiefs taking it on at 16 years then riding it out for 10 and retiring as a LT. They want people to make it around 8-12 where they have the opportunity to make O-6 before their 60! 

Believe me that I do not believe that I am the best Sailor in the world, but I do know that my job is the greatest in the world because of the young Sailors I am around inspire me when I push them and their in turn push me to exceed my own imagination. God Bless this Navy!

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

Not all of us old guys ate gumming up the tracks. Like TLAM I'm also at 16 years and this is my seventh look. I was at the point I should have been selected at about 11 years, but made a misstep, saw the old man and received an eval that killed my chances at the time. Since then I've had 4 ep's, ssoy, lpo/acting lcpo at sea and 2 #1 ep's say that I'm not just gumming up the tracks. Every person's story is different, and every person's path different.

That's a good come back, and I think that is something that the board should look favorably upon: Perseverance and overcoming that obstacle. I hope that you get it this time around, as well as everyone that is on this forum. As for the other post about my eyes getting poked, I was not offended in any way. I enjoy a good constructive conversation, I just try my best not to step on toes or put out the wrong message :) :) :)