FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest Dusten

Back to back shore duty will hurt you pretty much every time (RDC is an exception). It's not going to be seen as "challenging".

(1) Leadership

(a) Proven, sustained superior performance in

difficult and challenging joint

and in-service leadership

positions is the number one

factor for selection .

I sure like seeing that

Back to back shore duty will hurt you pretty much every time (RDC is an exception).  It's not going to be seen as "challenging".

(1) Leadership

(a) Proven, sustained superior performance in

difficult and challenging joint

and in-service leadership

positions is the number one

factor for selection .

I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement as I am living proof of that scinario. Yes I made E8 off back to back shore but the same 9's sat the board that commonly sit the CPO selection board. I would have to say though, how your EVAL is worded is what will make or break you e.g. "Hand selected to serve in a challenging billet as...." and obviously the rest of your EVAL. I was told by at least two of my mentors that I will never make 8 unless I am at sea doing the job of an ITC at sea.....
  • Like 1

I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement as I am living proof of that scinario. Yes I made E8 off back to back shore but the same 9's sat the board that commonly sit the CPO selection board. I would have to say though, how your EVAL is worded is what will make or break you e.g. "Hand selected to serve in a challenging billet as...." and obviously the rest of your EVAL. I was told by at least two of my mentors that I will never make 8 unless I am at sea doing the job of an ITC at sea.....

I would have to add the clause though, if you are consistently dodging sea then stand by to stand by.....
  • Like 1

Transferring after you've take the exam, who will get the results? New command or the old command?

Last year I transferred and results were sent to new command...have to remember the test results are already posted the board will have access to your record and your current command

Guest AWFChief

Transferring after you've take the exam, who will get the results? New command or the old command?

Have your ESO check your commands DODID list on NEAS.  If you are on the list for your new commands UIC, that command should get your results.

Guest Dusten

The Chiefs at my command are ramping up how about yours ?

I only see my own cpo and he doesn't seem to care much. I'm the only sbe e6 in my watch section and I'm new. So not much excitement

I would have to add the clause though, if you are consistently dodging sea then stand by to stand by.....

There are going to be exceptions and obviously it isn't a death sentence as you are an example of.  But I stand by the statement that almost every time back to back shore duties are not going to help you.  In my experience the guys I know that went back to back to back sea duty are wearing khakis of some variety.  The ones that went to shore duty and pre-coms are not.  Rate makes a big difference, some rates are more shore intensive, like HM or PS.  But if you are a sea going rate and aren't going to sea you aren't doing yourself any favors career wise, but your family probably loves you.

Guest Dusten

Don't take this as judgement, but it sounds like you probably need some command involvement. I don't know what platform/duty you are on but it doesn't sound healthy towards advancement. Good luck.

It's a facility that's manned 24 hours a day with the rotating shifts manned by six sections. We also have a day staff. That said, command involvement is next to impossible, and not expected of the watch standers. When at work, we are on watch.

That said, I've only been here two months. I'm more concerned with getting qualified at this point.

Guest seabee42

It varies. I've seen PGs results post to my command results for the last exam when I checked on NEAS. The UIC that's listed on the exam when you took it should be the UIC that your results are released too, however that's not always the case.

I haven't checked into my new command yet. Still have about two weeks. So I'm guessing the results will go to my old command.

Guest FCC_Thawk

Yes I believe it's two more weeks until they're completed.

One of he FCC's that works in my office is a recorder on the board. She's scheduled to be back in July 6th, but obviously that's subject to change.

There are going to be exceptions and obviously it isn't a death sentence as you are an example of.  But I stand by the statement that almost every time back to back shore duties are not going to help you.  In my experience the guys I know that went back to back to back sea duty are wearing khakis of some variety.  The ones that went to shore duty and pre-coms are not.  Rate makes a big difference, some rates are more shore intensive, like HM or PS.  But if you are a sea going rate and aren't going to sea you aren't doing yourself any favors career wise, but your family probably loves you.

Good point and spot on.  I was lucky because I was sure an IUSS command was not the place for an IT to advance but I guess I was wrong (in a good way).

Guest Dusten

Wow that's crazy fast as that puts her back at your command at the start of the third week and next week if that holds up. None the less, it's 4th of July weekend, I have a 96 and new land to explore. Hopefully most of us have a 96 as well or at least a 72

I get off Thursday at 0730(night shift) and don't have to be back till Tuesday.

Guest NavyMech

So after reading this forum for the past couple months I finally made an account.  I think I have read this thread multiple times and share the same feelings as most of you.  This is my first time up for Chief, I have taken the test 3 times, missed board twice in a row by less than 5 points and finally got a ticket this time around.  Good luck to all of you and hope the wait will be over sooner than later.  Here is my snapshot for the board:

Normal eval progression

Normal(ish) Sea/Shore rotation

RDC tour

Afghan Detainee Ops tour

Recruiting Duty (currently)

Army Comm x 2

DLA (Distinguished Leadership Award)

MTS

Gold Wreath x 6 (Recruiting)

PPME/JPME

Only thing wrong with my record was my history of assignments did not jive on my OMPF compared to my NSIPS so I submitted that in my LTB with an explanation.  Once again, Good luck to all of you and hope everyone here gets the call.  AD1 out...

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

So after reading this forum for the past couple months I finally made an account.  I think I have read this thread multiple times and share the same feelings as most of you.  This is my first time up for Chief, I have taken the test 3 times, missed board twice in a row by less than 5 points and finally got a ticket this time around.  Good luck to all of you and hope the wait will be over sooner than later.  Here is my snapshot for the board:

Normal eval progression

Normal(ish) Sea/Shore rotation

RDC tour

Afghan Detainee Ops tour

Recruiting Duty (currently)

Army Comm x 2

DLA (Distinguished Leadership Award)

MTS

Gold Wreath x 6 (Recruiting)

PPME/JPME

Only thing wrong with my record was my history of assignments did not jive on my OMPF compared to my NSIPS so I submitted that in my LTB with an explanation.  Once again, Good luck to all of you and hope everyone here gets the call.  AD1 out...

Good luck and welcome brother!

Guest FC1(SW/MTS)

Has anyone heard of problems of transfering during Phase 2?  I am supposed to start school in San Diego on the 8th of September.  My CMC says they will contact the FCC detailer if my name is on the list.  Only other problem I have is that my ship will be underway for most of Phase 2.

Guest itdominance

Has anyone heard of problems of transfering during Phase 2?  I am supposed to start school in San Diego on the 8th of September.  My CMC says they will contact the FCC detailer if my name is on the list.  Only other problem I have is that my ship will be underway for most of Phase 2.

boards generally only 2 weeks? I thought they lasted at least 3.

Guest itdominance

I can say that all the Chiefs at my command and few from tenant commands (about 15 total) went out to lunch to discuss phase 2 planning. Yes, the old adage of to many chiefs and not enough Indians apply here. HAHA.There are 3(EOD,HM, and me an IT) of us eligible on base and a reservist (IT).

Guest WVMTNMAN82

No movement as far as Phase II discussions at my command, but we have been very busy focusing on other stuff. I'd say we will see real movement after we return from the weekend.

Guest NavyMech

From the NPC site:

"Navy Personnel Command was affected by an electrical storm Monday night that impacted the SPAWAR-operated data center. All servers were impacted including those that serve Bupers On Line (BOL). No data has been impacted or compromised and restoration of the data center is ongoing. The selection board servers have been restored and selection boards are in operation. Updates will be posted on the homepage as they become available and your patience is appreciated."

Guest AOCMAC

My MMCPO and some of the Chiefs been giving me the business !  AO1 are you wearing Khaki socks? AO1 you should put on an anchor and take a selfie with it ! AO1 you got your Khaki's having in your closet ? lol 

Guest 757AC1

Has anyone else had any issues viewing their OMPF recently?  Some of my documents were not available for view and some were.