FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest CMC in waiting

How's everyone else's quotas look? Single digits here...

visiting from the SELRES thread....been single digits the last couple years, was starting to think it was a binary code 0 1 0...finally was blessed with 8 this year, still only a 7% chance

Guest NavyCorpsman85

Neither are correct. One you cant shoot yourself down before you even try. This being your first time up has nothing to do with it as I personally know 2 people who were up for Chief first time up last year and got selected. So if your record speaks for itself and you're already acting like a Chief, I don't see any reason as to why you cant make it first time up. Second, you're probably referring to the TAFMS (total active federal military service) which is no longer a requirement per say for the board. So the fact that you have x amount of years or you're early isn't going to hurt you.

How is the TAFMS not correct? The instruction states "early candidates" as 10 years or less. First time up has nothing to do with TAFMS nor does the TIR waiver. its about time in service which is set at 11 years for E7. No where in the precepts does it state they are no longer considering TAFMS. Where did you get your information.

Guest Blondie

How is the TAFMS not correct? The instruction states "early candidates" as 10 years or less. First time up has nothing to do with TAFMS nor does the TIR waiver. its about time in service which is set at 11 years for E7. No where in the precepts does it state they are no longer considering TAFMS. Where did you get your information.

DoD Directive 1304.20 was revised in 2005 and removed all verbiage limiting services to advancing 10% of "early eligibles" as determined by the Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS).

Guest DeepseaSeabee

The quota for CMC(Construction Mechanic) is 11 out of 129 I believe. 8% not bad. Last year was 22. It was the perfect year for me to miss board by 1.3 points. Never again. Got my ticket this year and I will continue to do my part and get that ticket from here on out.

Guest kaput

If the guesses are still on, I put my money on TRIAD 4th or 5th and hard release 5th or 6th. Let us hope it isn't a repeat of 2010's release date (my first time up aside from 09 LDO year), I think that one went all the way to the second Wednesday in August. Quotas and convening order are always exciting to see, means it's all real. Good luck everyone, this forum is gonna get crazy soon huh?

Guest NavyCorpsman85

DoD Directive 1304.20 was revised in 2005 and removed all verbiage limiting services to advancing 10% of "early eligibles" as determined by the Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS).

the interaction I read was from 2007 and its still in there?

BUPERSINST 1430.16F

Guest NavyCorpsman85

One, I was replying to the member stating that they probably wouldn't get picked up first time up as being incorrect, you clearly took my statement out of context.  Second, I stated the TAFMS wasn't a requirement per say, as you would have seen the TAFMS lists the MINIMUM time in service a member needs to compete as regular, example 11 years for Chief.  Can you please show me where I stated anything about the precepts not considering TAFMS?

ok, maybe I read it wrong, but what I read is what I got from it, if it was a clear statement there would be no confusion thanks for replying. was just trying to see where you got your info

Guest Blondie

the interaction I read was from 2007 and its still in there?

BUPERSINST 1430.16F

I can't account for the Navy regs still including it even though DoD put it to bed. Admin oversight perhaps? The precept doesn't say anything about TAFMS either, and that's where the board gets their matching orders from.

Guest Dusten

How's everyone else's quotas look? Single digits here...

About 31% this year.  When I saw the SCPO quote jumped from 11 to 31(total not percent) I knew ours would too.  31 CPO's last year, about 55 this year.  

Fingers crossed, SOY in 14, #1 EP 2 years in a row on a DDG, recruiting duty prior to that.  This is my last solid chance as I transferred and am starting over from the bottom.

My buddy picked up CPO last year, 6.5 years total service, first look as an E6 and he was a TIR waiver.  

Guest kaput

Taking leave this time, gonna try and get away from it all and hopefully distract myself. Somehow I think that I will instead have this forum shortcut on my cell phone browser. I hope you are all right about a late July release... but your optimism is just so darn optimistic.

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

Taking leave this time, gonna try and get away from it all and hopefully distract myself. Somehow I think that I will instead have this forum shortcut on my cell phone browser. I hope you are all right about a late July release... but your optimism is just so darn optimistic.

I'm with you there too, gonna take leave at the end of July going into first days of August. I normally don't like to answer the phone from work (who does on leave right?) but I will be keeping the phone on :) :)...Good luck all!!

Guest Headw07

I pick up a division on the 1st, so I will be on push when results come out. If it happens, I will probably try to take leave after pinning. Enjoy your leave, just in case...

I'm with you there too, gonna take leave at the end of July going into first days of August. I normally don't like to answer the phone from work (who does on leave right?) but I will be keeping the phone on :) :)...Good luck all!!

The only time you would ever be pleased to hear "your leave is cancelled"

Guest itdominance

Good morning all. Just got in after command PT. Am bored. So quick question for everyone. This is my last command and it is shore duty(36 month tour). My last command was shore duty also (36 month tour) at an NCTS. When up for orders there was no sea duty available for me, except 2 MOCC's in Jacksonville(which I am trained for and worked with for 3 years at Special Projects before transferring to NCTS Jaxs. Will back to back shore duty hurt me? I know the precept says to make sure your sea/shore rotation stays within regs. I put in for those 2 MOCC's and put in for E5 orders at Mayport(both ships) and the detailer would not let me take E5 billets. My rotation is off BTW. I did a DDG from June-96 to November 99(got out of Navy for a year), Came back in November 2000. On the Coronado from January 2001-December 2002, NCTSSii School till March 2003, TACAMO from March 2003-March 2006, Bahrain April 2006-April 2007,ANA School April -June 2007, VPU-1 July 2007-July 2010, NCTS Jaxs July -August 2013, and my current duty station from August 2013-November 2016(retire in terminal August 2016). 

Sorry for the book. I am being told that its not my fault for back to back shore and will not hurt me. Especially since I did back to back sea duty twice. My sea counter only shows the time for both ships even though Bahrain/VPU-1 was sea duty.

Good morning all. Just got in after command PT. Am bored. So quick question for everyone. This is my last command and it is shore duty(36 month tour). My last command was shore duty also (36 month tour) at an NCTS. When up for orders there was no sea duty available for me, except 2 MOCC's in Jacksonville(which I am trained for and worked with for 3 years at Special Projects before transferring to NCTS Jaxs. Will back to back shore duty hurt me? I know the precept says to make sure your sea/shore rotation stays within regs. I put in for those 2 MOCC's and put in for E5 orders at Mayport(both ships) and the detailer would not let me take E5 billets. My rotation is off BTW. I did a DDG from June-96 to November 99(got out of Navy for a year), Came back in November 2000. On the Coronado from January 2001-December 2002, NCTSSii School till March 2003, TACAMO from March 2003-March 2006, Bahrain April 2006-April 2007,ANA School April -June 2007, VPU-1 July 2007-July 2010, NCTS Jaxs July -August 2013, and my current duty station from August 2013-November 2016(retire in terminal August 2016). 

Sorry for the book. I am being told that its not my fault for back to back shore and will not hurt me. Especially since I did back to back sea duty twice. My sea counter only shows the time for both ships even though Bahrain/VPU-1 was sea duty.

Back to back shore duty will hurt you pretty much every time (RDC is an exception).  It's not going to be seen as "challenging".

(1) Leadership

(a) Proven, sustained superior performance in

difficult and challenging joint

and in-service leadership

positions is the number one

factor for selection .

Guest itdominance

Back to back shore duty will hurt you pretty much every time (RDC is an exception).  It's not going to be seen as "challenging".

(1) Leadership

factor for selection .

rgr, we shall see.

Guest itdominance

(1) Leadership

factor for selection .

Also I didn't say what or whom I support at my current duty station!

Guest hayes

From the precept:

"6. History of Assignments. In evaluating a candidate's history of assignments, consideration should be given to the fact that (1) candidates are not always in control of duty assignments; (2) closed-loop communities can restrict assignment diversity and; (3) the size of command and number within peer ranking are not controlled by the candidate."

My take is that your eval should speak of your capabilities as a leader and not your duty station.

Guest itdominance

From the precept:

"6. History of Assignments. In evaluating a candidate's history of assignments, consideration should be given to the fact that (1) candidates are not always in control of duty assignments; (2) closed-loop communities can restrict assignment diversity and; (3) the size of command and number within peer ranking are not controlled by the candidate."

My take is that your eval should speak of your capabilities as a leader and not your duty station.

Hayes,

thanks I read that also. I didn't even apply for orders the first cycle and rolled the dice. I tried to volunteer for RDC or Recruiter Duty and got told no. I put in a 1306 to remain in the Jaxs/Mayport area for any sea duty. Denied. I did all that I could. I wouldn't to put my situation out there for everyone to see due to boredom/the long wait. I have had a very different career.