FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest TridentSeaWarrior0625

I would still get it fixed. Just don't put the Admin Change in your letter to the board. Hopefully this is your year but if not that little guy could bite you in the future. Also Senior and MC boards could find that.

I submitted it this morning via email.  Funny thing is that the MC does not like me.  Your comment was the driving point, which lead me to submit the missing reports to the board.  Thanks for the advice

Guest HawaiiGM

A sailor at my command made E6 off the March 2013 cycle, received an EP in November 2013, then transferred in September 2013 with a transfer EP and checked into the new command and recieved an NOB. Is this sailor eligible for the January 2015 CPO exam?

My November 2013 EP eval had "promotion/frocking" checked off in box 12 when it should have stated "periodic".

Guest FCC_Thawk

Well, sent off my package Friday morning...  Hopefully this is it, seventh time up.  Best of luck to everyone!

Guest seabee42

If you haven't sent off your LTB then you are wrong...as well as behind the power curve...Good Luck brothers and sisters

Due today correct?

Guest AWFChief

I sent in my 365 phase 1 qual cards. Just put them as one enclosure 'CPO Development Phase 1 Completion Cards'.

I'm just asking here, but what would be the purpose of sending those in?  Since ALL first classes are required to attend Phase 1, how would this be a breakout item?  I've been eligible for many years and have been under the impression that the cards are there so you don't have to repeat those certain trainings once they are "signed off" and you do not get selected.

Thoughts?

Guest VooDooDoc

I'm just asking here, but what would be the purpose of sending those in?  Since ALL first classes are required to attend Phase 1, how would this be a breakout item?  I've been eligible for many years and have been under the impression that the cards are there so you don't have to repeat those certain trainings once they are "signed off" and you do not get selected.

Thoughts?

I completely agree. CPO 365 is a MCPON mandated program, so to me, sending a 365 completion card is like sending in your NKO GMT certificates. That's just my .02 cents.

Guest FCC_Thawk

Now that the CPO LTB fiasco is done and over with, I'm really interested to see what the quotas are going to look like in a few weeks.  FC non-Aegis, based on the FCCS quotas, should be pretty good, but we'll see....  About two months to go till results!

Guest kaput

Thoughts?

I completely agree. CPO 365 is a MCPON mandated program, so to me, sending a 365 completion card is like sending in your NKO GMT certificates. That's just my .02 cents.

Just one of those things. I had many SC's and MC's push me to put it in there, and know quite a few who did last year with success. It comes down to the precepts (which guides every single decision I make with these kinds of things.) The precepts state, more in reference to SCPO and MCPO boards of course, that participation in CPO 365 is a factor. While you may say that 365 is mandatory, the simple truth of the matter is that it is not at all mandatory. You can make people go, and get their stuff signed off all you want, but at the end of the day who is the type of person who gets their cards done before the beginning of the calendar year and wants to send them in with their LTB? probably the person who wanted to participate. I know it is a long shot, and I know many disagree, but it's just how I read the coin on that one.

If that sounds defensive or postured I apologize, don't want to argue with any one. Just been a long few days and I have already been told the grump is on my shoulder. Good luck every one.

Guest HawaiiGM

A sailor at my command made E6 off the March 2013 cycle, received an EP in November 2013, then transferred in September 2013 with a transfer EP and checked into the new command and recieved an NOB. Is this sailor eligible for the January 2015 CPO exam?

My November 2013 EP eval had "promotion/frocking" checked off in box 12 when it should have stated "periodic".

Guest kaput

Are the first and second portions of this two distinct questions? Is it you or a friend? Did you/them take the exam? TIR is 1Jul13, so normal exam cycle would be Jan16... so we are asking past tense should they be eligible? Sorry, just trying to make sure I got it.

Guest hayes

If the periodic November 2014 is an EP, then yes, the sailor is eligible for January 2015 exam with an approved TIR waiver (according to how I interpret the instruction).

Guest kaput

If the periodic November 2014 is an EP, then yes, the sailor is eligible for January 2015 exam with an approved TIR waiver (according to how I interpret the instruction).

I agree, according to pages 2-20 and 2-21 of BUPERSINST 1430.16F. My main concern was your input about the frocking part of the eval, which is what the eval should have been probably in 2013. I don't see anywhere in the text that precludes eligibility though. Either way, it isn't automatic and just as hayes said, you need CO/OIC waiver in order to take the exam.

Guest kaput

(1) TIR Waiver for Early Promote Sailors. COs/OICs may waive up to 1 year of the required TIR for Sailors in paygrades E5 and E6 who received a promotion recommendation of ”Early Promote” on their most recent observed periodic evaluation in their current paygrade. Personnel authorized a TIR waiver under this paragraph shall be identified as such when ordering examinations per paragraphs 400a and 400b. Failure to identify candidates who have been granted TIR waiver will result in invalidation of the examination due to insufficient TIR. Letter extensions and not observed (NOB) evaluations do not effect this waiver. This waiver only applies for participation in Navy-wide examinations.

This is all you need to get started for future reference though. It even discusses the NOB question.

Guest CTT1 H

Just wanted to say good luck to everybody and see if anybody is venturing guesses on the quota and results release dates.

Guest FCC_Thawk

Just wanted to say good luck to everybody and see if anybody is venturing guesses on the quota and results release dates.

I'm going with the quotas to be released on either the 23rd or 24th of June.  Triad release of results on July 30th, with general release on July 31st.

Guest kaput

I myself think 23rd for quotas and the same as last year with results. So, the 3rd or 4th triad with NAVADMIN on the 4th or 5th of August.

Guest AWFChief

Just one of those things. I had many SC's and MC's push me to put it in there, and know quite a few who did last year with success. It comes down to the precepts (which guides every single decision I make with these kinds of things.) The precepts state, more in reference to SCPO and MCPO boards of course, that participation in CPO 365 is a factor. While you may say that 365 is mandatory, the simple truth of the matter is that it is not at all mandatory. You can make people go, and get their stuff signed off all you want, but at the end of the day who is the type of person who gets their cards done before the beginning of the calendar year and wants to send them in with their LTB? probably the person who wanted to participate. I know it is a long shot, and I know many disagree, but it's just how I read the coin on that one.

If that sounds defensive or postured I apologize, don't want to argue with any one. Just been a long few days and I have already been told the grump is on my shoulder. Good luck every one.

It's ok.  You didn't sound argumentative.  I was more curious as to the thought process since I've heard others being told to send them in.  The only justification i've heard it to show participation in the program.  My evals talk to my participation since our group does community service events with CPO365.

Guest laurar06

I've been lurking here since March. A close friend made the eligible list and he killed the exam so I know he'll look great in Khaki come September. Good luck, everyone. 

Guest HawaiiGM

His November 2013 EP eval had "promotion/frocking" checked off in box 12 when it should have stated "periodic".

Guest HawaiiGM

(1) TIR Waiver for Early Promote Sailors. COs/OICs may waive up to 1 year of the required TIR for Sailors in paygrades E5 and E6 who received a promotion recommendation of ”Early Promote” on their most recent observed periodic evaluation in their current paygrade. Personnel authorized a TIR waiver under this paragraph shall be identified as such when ordering examinations per paragraphs 400a and 400b. Failure to identify candidates who have been granted TIR waiver will result in invalidation of the examination due to insufficient TIR. Letter extensions and not observed (NOB) evaluations do not effect this waiver. This waiver only applies for participation in Navy-wide examinations.

This is all you need to get started for future reference though. It even discusses the NOB question.

Thanks for the reference