FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

- A random thought of the day.....

A shipmate who just returned from a Selection board shared with me a cryptic/philosophy as it pertains to the board process......

"It is not surpising to see a rose in a bed of other roses and it is easy to compare a good one to the others - it IS SURPRISING tho to see a rose growing in a sidewalk crack and no matter how small or unimpressive it seems - it always causes one to stop and admire!"

• Like 1

For those wondering about the whole "Early Candidate" concept for E7-E9. This is from Chapter 12 of BUPERSINST 1430.16F. Hope this helps.

1202. EARLY SELECTEE QUOTA. Department of Defense (DOD) has

established the Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS)

requirement which is to be met prior to a member’s advancement

to a given paygrade. TAFMS requirements are as follows:

E7 – 11 years

E8 – 16 years

E9 – 19 years

DOD has made provisions for early advancements. An “early”

candidate is one who does not meet the TAFMS minimum service

requirements. No more than 10 percent of the total number of

Sailors in the E7/8/9 paygrades may have less than the

prescribed TAFMS. The number of “early” selectee quotas

available to the selection board is limited to a percentage of

the total selectee quota. CNO (N13) monitors this and informs

the board of what percentage can be early selectees. The

percentage is an overall board figure, not a quota by rate.

Some panels may recommend fewer early selectees and others more

because the average time in service of candidates varies from

rating to rating. This percentage changes yearly.

This is actually more common than not, some people say Master Chiefs are being groomed from an early stage in their career.  I had a shipmate, he was a 1yr early CPO, 1st board SCPO & MCPO. Makes you think that old adage "I won't make MCPO or SCPO until someone dies or retires" is obsolete but then again I will wait to say that until the SCPO results are posted......

Guest AWFChief

The section the EPME/JPME are in is third in the priority list on the precept.  Leadership is king.  If you don't have leadership you can do all the EPME courses you want, you won't get selected.  EPME is important but it is a supplement to leadership and in particular leadership with sustained superior performance.

I agree.  over half the people in my rate who got selected last year didn't even have it. 

I need help and advice.  I recently discovered that I was a break in my eval period.  It was long ago.  Some people say it does not matter, others tell me it is very important to get it fix.  The break in my eval from Mar 01, 2003 to May 31, 2004.  I know it was more than five years ago, but I had a senior chief tell me that is greatly frown upon by the board.  What can I do to get it fixed? Also I have two depulicate evals that are more than 5 years old.  HELP PLEASE

I found the same thing in my Continuity Report. I contacted NPC customer service and explained and they sent me the example letter from BUPERSINST 1610.10C. It is basically a short story explaining that you never got, don't have, and can't get this eval from your previous command. Then, the bottom portion labels each block (1-27 at least) and you fill in your personal info and the info of the command you were at. I submitted  this as an enclosure AND emailed it to the PERS rep. who sent me the example, as during our convo. she said she would get it in my record for me. Hope this helps.

It's right on the line.  From what I have been told by Admirals and MCs is that anything over 30 days is an automatic disqualifier if it's not addressed in someway.  I posted about this a couple months ago so I won't repeat myself.  But you need to fix it unless you want to save money on uniforms...

Guest kaput

First time posting on here. I have followed this forum for a few years now, my buddy joined last year and quickly became hooked. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I will share what info I have been able to procure from the four Master Chief's I have spoken with based on my personal LTB this year.

What I wanted to send:

1. SS Certificate (I am a conversion and SS doesn't follow you to the surface fleet)

2. MTS Certificate

3. Military Training Instructor Cert

4. NC

5. PPME

6. JPME

7. CPO 365 completion cards

8. Awards Record (NAVPERS 1070/880) Sitting at pers-313 but may not make it in time

9. Missing Eval Extension from 2011.

After talking with Master Chief #4

1. Career Summary Page

2. SS Certificate

3. CPO 365 cards

4. NAVPERS 1070/880

5. Missing LOE

I don't know the trend on this forum as far as approval of Career Summary Pages go, but for me it is a personal decision based on the fact that it is almost custom tailored to assist someone like me. The biggest take-home I got was this: Does it make sense to send one in? And if so, how does it help? It took my LTB from 9 enclosures and 11 pages down to 5 and 8. If anyone is interested, just let me know and I will share my Summary Page format.

Guest kaput

I apologize for the double post, but also remember that just sending in a missing LOE or eval isn't the same as fixing the problem. Your LTB should address this in some way (i.e. you found it missing and said documentation has been sent to PERS-32/PERS-313 for entry into OMPF.) Not my words, straight from the board sitters.

Guest osiris0107

Just wondering if anyone knows what I shold write in the email for my Chiefs package? Who do you address, and what needs to be said specfically in the email. Is it ...

ALCON,

Attached is my letter to the board, thank you for you consideration.

V/r

Just wondering if anyone knows what I shold write in the email for my Chiefs package? Who do you address, and what needs to be said specfically in the email. Is it ...

ALCON,

Attached is my letter to the board, thank you for you consideration.

V/r

I would include what board by number you are submitting your package, both in the subject and body of the E-Mail. Other than that. It looks good!

First time posting on here. I have followed this forum for a few years now, my buddy joined last year and quickly became hooked. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I will share what info I have been able to procure from the four Master Chief's I have spoken with based on my personal LTB this year.

What I wanted to send:

1. SS Certificate (I am a conversion and SS doesn't follow you to the surface fleet)

2. MTS Certificate

3. Military Training Instructor Cert

4. NC

5. PPME

6. JPME

7. CPO 365 completion cards

8. Awards Record (NAVPERS 1070/880) Sitting at pers-313 but may not make it in time

9. Missing Eval Extension from 2011.

After talking with Master Chief #4

1. Career Summary Page

2. SS Certificate

3. CPO 365 cards

4. NAVPERS 1070/880

5. Missing LOE

I don't know the trend on this forum as far as approval of Career Summary Pages go, but for me it is a personal decision based on the fact that it is almost custom tailored to assist someone like me. The biggest take-home I got was this: Does it make sense to send one in? And if so, how does it help? It took my LTB from 9 enclosures and 11 pages down to 5 and 8. If anyone is interested, just let me know and I will share my Summary Page format.

How does the SS cert not follow you?  it should be in your OMPF.  I'm not saying you are wrong, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you are right.  But it's not like it would be the first time something doesn't make sense, but it is still the way we do business.

How does the SS cert not follow you?  it should be in your OMPF.  I'm not saying you are wrong, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you are right.  But it's not like it would be the first time something doesn't make sense, but it is still the way we do business.

That, or listed under designator's in your MDS in your NSIPS?  I have had many MC's tell me to submit a current copy of your MDS with your LTB as well as to your local PSD/ADMIN in advance of the board.

Guest hayes

I was on the main page but cant logon to the board information that tells me what to put in the subject line so on and so forth.

Here it is, straight from the NPC selection board page:

"Encrypted e-mail is the preferred method of submitting a LTB.  The address for e-mailing encrypted letters to the board is cscselboard@navy.mil.  E-mailed LTBs must be encrypted to protect Personally Identifiable Information.  Trouble with file encryption or certificate issues does not justify a late LTB.  To ensure more efficient processing and for internal tracking purposes we ask that you place "FOUO: Board Package; Board # XXX" (XXX represents the actual board number) in the subject line of your e-mail.  The board number of each selection board is listed on the NAVADMIN."

No specific guidance is provided about the body of the email. For what it's worth, on my emailed LTB I just wrote a very generic "Good morning, please see attached letter to the board for FY-16 E7 Selection Board #336" with the PDF file. My package was verified as received two days later.

Guest kaput

Just reenlisted for the first time since we went to ESR/NAVPERS OMPF upload. It will be on my MDS when they accept it... but SS is a weird animal, it doesn't necessarily go away, but it only shows that you were in the qual at one time. It has its own BUPERSINST, and if you convert out you can't even put SS on an eval (at least you aren't supposed to.) Either way, I send it in.

Guest kaput

That, or listed under designator's in your MDS in your NSIPS? I have had many MC's tell me to submit a current copy of your MDS with your LTB as well as to your local PSD/ADMIN in advance of the board.

I have MDS sitting at PERS-313 now, and an electronic submission from my reenlistment. Even with that sheet, it only shows "SS - in qual". No dates no cert number, and that is pretty common from what I understand. I have met some people who just kept putting it on evals and certs anyways, I wish I had ag this point.

Guest osiris0107

Here it is, straight from the NPC selection board page:

"Encrypted e-mail is the preferred method of submitting a LTB.  The address for e-mailing encrypted letters to the board is cscselboard@navy.mil.  E-mailed LTBs must be encrypted to protect Personally Identifiable Information.  Trouble with file encryption or certificate issues does not justify a late LTB.  To ensure more efficient processing and for internal tracking purposes we ask that you place "FOUO: Board Package; Board # XXX" (XXX represents the actual board number) in the subject line of your e-mail.  The board number of each selection board is listed on the NAVADMIN."

No specific guidance is provided about the body of the email. For what it's worth, on my emailed LTB I just wrote a very generic "Good morning, please see attached letter to the board for FY-16 E7 Selection Board #336" with the PDF file. My package was verified as received two days later.

Thank you I put that part in the subject line, but I did not put it in the body, I felt like it would be too redundant. It is already in the cover letter. I found the link on NPC to check the status of the package, but it asks for a password. I put my social in the login like it states, but the next screen does not ask me to create a password, it just asks for the login and a password again. Any thoughts.

Thank you I put that part in the subject line, but I did not put it in the body, I felt like it would be too redundant. It is already in the cover letter. I found the link on NPC to check the status of the package, but it asks for a password. I put my social in the login like it states, but the next screen does not ask me to create a password, it just asks for the login and a password again. Any thoughts.

Either way, the keypoint of the E-Mail as well as the cover letter of your package is just like an internal routing sheet.  No one on the board will ever see it.  As long as you follow the guidance and you get a confirmation from NPC that they have received it you are golden!

Guest kaput

I decided to go back and read this forum from beginning to end today to see what is on here easily overlooked. I am in one of those "to send it or not to send it" predicaments. I usually default to send it if you even wonder, but this one is a little different. PPME and JPME. I have both of them on evals, and on my Training, Education and Qualification form in my OMPF. One Master Chief here has told me to send the certs anyway because they are on the precepts. Another Master Chief told me not to send them, that I had enough coverage with those other two documents. The other two Master Chiefs basically told me that I am nuking the crap out of it. So...... Send it or don't send it?

I decided to go back and read this forum from beginning to end today to see what is on here easily overlooked. I am in one of those "to send it or not to send it" predicaments. I usually default to send it if you even wonder, but this one is a little different. PPME and JPME. I have both of them on evals, and on my Training, Education and Qualification form in my OMPF. One Master Chief here has told me to send the certs anyway because they are on the precepts. Another Master Chief told me not to send them, that I had enough coverage with those other two documents. The other two Master Chiefs basically told me that I am nuking the crap out of it. So...... Send it or don't send it?

They are only two pages I'd send it if you are on the fence.  It's not like your SMART transcript where it's 15 pages long and you are going to annoy them by making them read a book.  I see why you might want to send them because they aren't in your record even if they are mentioned on your evals.  That way you can guarentee they won't be overlooked.  On the other hand they are mentioned in your evals so I could see why you wouldn't.  But as long as you don't have 10 other enclosures I would include them if you want to make sure that the board sees them.

Are quotas out already?

I want to say yes? I was looking at PO quotas with one of my Sailors yesterday and I could haves sworn I saw jan exam quotas.

Guest Blondie

I agree with your Master Chief.  It could be easy for your panel to miss the PPME/JPME entries on your block 44, and sending in two certificates won't take them more than a few seconds to glance over.  They are courses which are referenced by name in the precepts and I would do everything in my power to ensure they are noted by the selection board.  I am sending mine in as part of my LTB.

I want to say yes? I was looking at PO quotas with one of my Sailors yesterday and I could haves sworn I saw jan exam quotas.

I may have been mistaken.... Thinking about the timeline, but it should be soon (the closer we get to the convening date).

Guest hayes

I may have been mistaken.... Thinking about the timeline, but it should be soon (the closer we get to the convening date).

It will be right after the convening date. Reserve quotas came out today, board convened yesterday. So I guess June 23rd for active.