FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest HAZEGREY1775

So question…. How is everyone labeling their multiple enclosures? For example, if you have PPME, BPME, and Officer PME… three enclosures? Or one enclosure, but, labeling them as "Enclosure (1)" and placing a '2' and '3' and the center of the subsequent pages? I have the same issue with four USMAP  certs. Thanks…..

Guest hayes

So question…. How is everyone labeling their multiple enclosures? For example, if you have PPME, BPME, and Officer PME… three enclosures? Or one enclosure, but, labeling them as "Enclosure (1)" and placing a '2' and '3' and the center of the subsequent pages? I have the same issue with four USMAP certs. Thanks…..

I say both methods are acceptable, as long as the enclosures in the letter itself are properly identified. All pages are getting looked at either way. Personally, I split up my PME certs, i.e. enclosure (1) for BPME, enclosure (2) for PPME. But I only have 4 total enclosures in my LTB. If you have a lot, probably best to group them then do page numbers to avoid clutter on the LTB.

Guest Devildoc0114

Hi,

This is my first time up for board and I have a few questions that hopefully someone can provide insight. I know that I need to submitt a letter to the board but for some the items that I want to include I am a bit confused as to how to go about it. Here are my questions

1. I am missing an eval for a time period and now that I am in the reserves I know that there is no way for me to be able to get this back. What would be an acceptable method to fixing this and how do I explain it?
  2. I am two weeks away from getting my Master's. Is it acceptable to highlight this in my LTB and if so what type of documentation would I need to submitt as proof? I know LTB is due by 15APR27 but my degree is being conferred 15MAY02.
  3. My current eval is not in OMPF or NSIPS. I think this would be an easy fix by just referencing it and enclosing it in the letter.

I've been told when submitting to try to keep it light with all the papers. I just wanted to get others insight and direction on the matter as I would love to make it the first time up.

Thanks!

Hi,

This is my first time up for board and I have a few questions that hopefully someone can provide insight. I know that I need to submitt a letter to the board but for some the items that I want to include I am a bit confused as to how to go about it. Here are my questions

1. I am missing an eval for a time period and now that I am in the reserves I know that there is no way for me to be able to get this back. What would be an acceptable method to fixing this and how do I explain it?
  2. I am two weeks away from getting my Master's. Is it acceptable to highlight this in my LTB and if so what type of documentation would I need to submitt as proof? I know LTB is due by 15APR27 but my degree is being conferred 15MAY02.
  3. My current eval is not in OMPF or NSIPS. I think this would be an easy fix by just referencing it and enclosing it in the letter.

I've been told when submitting to try to keep it light with all the papers. I just wanted to get others insight and direction on the matter as I would love to make it the first time up.

Thanks!

The missing evals are the biggest deals here.  You won't get picked up if you don't address them.

1.  Not true you can get the eval if you contact your old CoC.  That will take time so there is almost no way it could happen before the LTB is due.  So you have a couple of options.  Long-term best solution is to track down your old reporting senior and get the eval entered into your OMPF.  Since that won't happen in two weeks you can either draft up Letter (the template is in the 1610.10C) documenting that you have a missing eval and include that in your LTB or you can simply mention that you are missing the eval on your LTB and are taking steps to fix it.

If you can't find the old reporting senior you can have that letter placed in your OMPF to document that time you served.  Not a great option because the board can't see what you did, but it's better than having a gap.  It won't appear in your OMPF in time for the board to see it so you would need to include a copy of the letter with your LTB.

2.  You can send a copy of your unofficial transcripts, but you should have been documenting your education in Block 44 of your eval.

3.  You want to send the eval with your LTB.  They won't see it otherwise.  You also want to mention what steps you are taking to have it entered into your OMPF to fix the problem.

Simply including things that are missing is not enough.  You should tell the board how you are fixing your record but that the updates have not appeared in time for the board to convene.

Worst- Do nothing

Bad- Mention what's wrong with your record on your LTB but do nothing to fix it.

OK Short Term Fix- Submit the mssing documents with your LTB but do nothing to fix it.

Good- Submit missing items with your LTB and to be entered into your record.

Better- Submit missing items with your LTB and to be entered into your record AND address your corrective action on your LTB.

Best- Get everything fixed so you don't have to submit an LTB.

Guest Devildoc0114

The missing evals are the biggest deals here.  You won't get picked up if you don't address them.

1.  Not true you can get the eval if you contact your old CoC.  That will take time so there is almost no way it could happen before the LTB is due.  So you have a couple of options.  Long-term best solution is to track down your old reporting senior and get the eval entered into your OMPF.  Since that won't happen in two weeks you can either draft up Letter (the template is in the 1610.10C) documenting that you have a missing eval and include that in your LTB or you can simply mention that you are missing the eval on your LTB and are taking steps to fix it.

If you can't find the old reporting senior you can have that letter placed in your OMPF to document that time you served.  Not a great option because the board can't see what you did, but it's better than having a gap.  It won't appear in your OMPF in time for the board to see it so you would need to include a copy of the letter with your LTB.

2.  You can send a copy of your unofficial transcripts, but you should have been documenting your education in Block 44 of your eval.

3.  You want to send the eval with your LTB.  They won't see it otherwise.  You also want to mention what steps you are taking to have it entered into your OMPF to fix the problem.

Simply including things that are missing is not enough.  You should tell the board how you are fixing your record but that the updates have not appeared in time for the board to convene.

Worst- Do nothing

Bad- Mention what's wrong with your record on your LTB but do nothing to fix it.

OK Short Term Fix- Submit the mssing documents with your LTB but do nothing to fix it.

Good- Submit missing items with your LTB and to be entered into your record.

Better- Submit missing items with your LTB and to be entered into your record AND address your corrective action on your LTB.

Best- Get everything fixed so you don't have to submit an LTB.

Thanks! I will pull up that insruction. I appreciate your response it definitely helps!

Guest AWFChief

Depends on what you sent in.  Evals around this time of year usually take 2-3 months.  I wouldn't count on it reflecting in your record before the board.

My memo shows in my OMPF now.  Again, thank you etfc1121!

Guest itdominance

AWF how long did it take your eval to show? (in terms of weeks/months)

it took mine about 2 weeks to show up. That was for a missing evaluation and memo for my IRR time that I was out for.

Guest itdominance

Does anyone know if the SAFE website can still be used for uploading the LTB?

according to navadmin 222/14 you can. I went to the SAFE site and it appears to be working properly but IDK if it actually works myself. It isn't hard to send it encrypted via nmci or onenet.  You could call NPC and ask.

Good Luck Hawaii GM.

Guest AWFChief

it took mine about 2 weeks to show up. That was for a missing evaluation and memo for my IRR time that I was out for.

Same here

Guest seabee42

Another step closer!  Senior Chief quotas look pretty good for Seabees!  Lets just hope that translates to the Chief results.

Thanks for all the help. First time up, pretty sure I won't get picked up, but trying to give them a reason to pick me with the highest test score on top of all my accolades. I heard they only reserve a certain number of quotas for people under a 10 years or first time up?

That would be correct, there is in fact a limited number of early candidates for selection each year! Best of luck to you!

Guest Blondie

That would be correct, there is in fact a limited number of early candidates for selection each year! Best of luck to you!

This is a common misconception. DoD Directive 1304.20 was revised in 2005 and removed all verbiage limiting services to advancing 10% of "early eligibles" as determined by the Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS).

Guest seabee42

This is a common misconception. DoD Directive 1304.20 was revised in 2005 and removed all verbiage limiting services to advancing 10% of "early eligibles" as determined by the Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS).

I thought this was done away with too but the directive was revised in 2005 and the bupersinst 1430.16f was written in 2007. Go to page 147/160 and it covers it. Is there anything that came out after or am I missing something?

Guest Devildoc0114

For the reserve board I never received a confirmation when I submitted my LTB. If it is due 27APR15 would it be too late for me to resend it again tomorrow? 

For the reserve board I never received a confirmation when I submitted my LTB. If it is due 27APR15 would it be too late for me to resend it again tomorrow?

Did you submit via E-Mail? Either way I woul resubmit.

Guest Devildoc0114

Did you submit via E-Mail? Either way I woul resubmit.

I did I was going to resubmit it today and again tomorrow but I didn't know if that would be over doing it? 

Guest hayes

I did I was going to resubmit it today and again tomorrow but I didn't know if that would be over doing it?

When I called NPC CSC, they said that there are lots of people who don't get the autoreply. I didn't get one either. I think there's another one here who reported not getting one. But NPC said as long as you didn't get an error email, then the email went through.

Guest hayes

I did not receive the automatic email reply but my package was received. You just have to verify via

https://ahdsedstws16.ahf.nmci.navy.mil/OA_HTML/npc.html

Thanks, I knew there was someone else. How long did it take for it to update the received status on the CSC website? I know they say wait 10 days during crunch time but today is the deadline and I don't wanna resend it. Lesson learned: I should send it earlier next time. (Hopefully, there wouldn't be a next time!)

Guest hayes

Call PERS before resubmitting.  They will verify that your LTB was received or not.  I would only resubmit it if they say it hasn't been received other wise you might be submitting duplicate copies.  Godd luck to all the Reserve and FTS shipmates submitting their package today!  Ya'll are exactly three weeks away before the board convenes.  If ya'll aren't antsy now, just wait until 18 April lol

Thanks. I checked this morning online and it wasn't there. Just before I called them I checked again and it just got updated. Board packet received. I'll be TAD the week the board convenes, so I'm counting on yall to post the quotas here. Lol