FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest itdominance

lol, we've 2 more boards to convene and results to be released before the CPO quotas are out, can't remember when they were out last year...I want to say June

I know. Just bored.

That's exactly where I feel I'm at a disadvantage, the technical expertise.

Since I know next to nothing about the CTA rate I can't offer specific advice.  But anyone that lacks technical abilities in their rate should go out of their way to get C Schools or rate related technical training.  Navy schools aren't perfect, but they do allow you to focus on increasing your technical and system specific knowledge in an environment where you aren't distracted by watches, drills, collateral duties and various other random things that get in the way of doing your actual job on a ship.

Guest Blondie

Long time watching from the outside...  Just signed up and first time posting...

Can somebody be too diverse?  Though I have been a few different ratings (undesignated SN(SS)/CTA/PN/PS/AS (FTS), my multiple rate changes have not been my choice (due to disestablishment of CTA rating and PTS).  I'm also a CCC, and I have advanced a paygrade in each rate.  I've been in four of the major "communities" during my career (submarine, intelligence, surface, now aviation).  So would this be looked at adversely as a sort of "Jack of all trades, master of none"?  I understand the whole sustained superior performance and leading/taking care of fellow Sailors part.  So, is there such a thing as being too diverse?

Under the leadership portion of the precept it says "you must consider that the future Navy and joint force leadership will comprise a mix of service members that have excelled in both traditional and alternate career paths."  I think being forced to convert so much would definitely qualify as an "alternate" career path!

Guest CTAPNPSAS(SS)

Under the leadership portion of the precept it says "you must consider that the future Navy and joint force leadership will comprise a mix of service members that have excelled in both traditional and alternate career paths." I think being forced to convert so much would definitely qualify as an "alternate" career path!

One would like to think so right? I've always tried to be right in the thick of things especially with leadership and set the example - CFL and now CCC. It's just too bad we never get any direct specific individual feedback from boards. That's where the learning would come in handy.

I've wondered why there's no feedback from the board, my only logical thought was that they don't want the interpretation that if they say you need to work on this or this that you'll be selected; and then you work on those areas and you're not selected, then you're left really wondering why you're not selected...only thing that was logical to me, anyone else have any ideas?

I always assumed it was to prevent grievances and appeals.  If people knew why they didnt get selected they could point at someone that did and say it's not fair because of x, y, z.  Look at how much drama comes from who gets the last EP eval...

Though it would be nice if there were real issues in the record like continuity gaps that they reported that.  The administrative burden that would be created by lawsuits, appeals boards and grievance investigations and the time whoever has to type up the report saying why you were passed over isn't worth the benefits to the individual.

Now I do think that the order that someone is selected should be in line with their seniority and date of pay for E-7.  So if you were the top candidate you should get paid first and if you were last you should be last.  At the moment the most senior first to be selected gets paid first.  That way it would give at least some idea about what the board was looking for in a practical sense.

Now I do think that the order that someone is selected should be in line with their seniority and date of pay for E-7.  So if you were the top candidate you should get paid first and if you were last you should be last.  At the moment the most senior first to be selected gets paid first.  That way it would give at least some idea about what the board was looking for in a practical sense.

I get what you mean, but took me a minute to re-read it.  If they changed it to the system you described for chief, then it would only  be fair if they also changed it for senior and master chief.  To me it seems though that would make more work for the board to have to rank who was top pick, and who was bottom pick.  If you have insight into that they already do this on the board then it would be a seamless transition.  My limited understanding of the board process is that they don't really rank who was the #1 pick and who was the last pick.

I get what you mean, but took me a minute to re-read it.  If they changed it to the system you described for chief, then it would only  be fair if they also changed it for senior and master chief.  To me it seems though that would make more work for the board to have to rank who was top pick, and who was bottom pick.  If you have insight into that they already do this on the board then it would be a seamless transition.  My limited understanding of the board process is that they don't really rank who was the #1 pick and who was the last pick.

If you haven't already go to bol and select the Selection Board Member/Recorder Training you can do just the last module it gives great insight into the selection process with records...The board knows how everyone falls out

Guest Blondie

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet:  When the resources say the board looks back "five years", what does that actually mean?  If I have a PO2 periodic eval which ended in March 2010 (within fives years after I took the test, but over five years before the board convenes), will the board see it?  What if I have a PO2 concurrent eval which ended in July 2010 (less than five years after the board convenes), will they see it?  I understand the board can technically see all of my evals back to the beginning if they want or need to, but the rule of thumb is that they look back "five years."

Guest CBdive

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet:  When the resources say the board looks back "five years", what does that actually mean?  If I have a PO2 periodic eval which ended in March 2010 (within fives years after I took the test, but over five years before the board convenes), will the board see it?  What if I have a PO2 concurrent eval which ended in July 2010 (less than five years after the board convenes), will they see it?  I understand the board can technically see all of my evals back to the beginning if they want or need to, but the rule of thumb is that they look back "five years."

Eval years (5 evals back). It's just a "rule of thumb," however they can look back as far as they want or need to. A co-worker of mine had a very disappointing eval, when that eval finally fell off the table, (more than five evals back) he got his S. 

Guest itdominance

Eval years (5 evals back). It's just a "rule of thumb," however they can look back as far as they want or need to. A co-worker of mine had a very disappointing eval, when that eval finally fell off the table, (more than five evals back) he got his S. 

I hope that is the case. I got an adverse transfer eval in July of 2010 that I have been fighting to get removed. Pers even attached a memo that it was invalid and sent to my CO for correction. He never corrected it and refused to submit my statement. I just recently had my statement attached to the eval.

Guest AWFChief

lol, we've 2 more boards to convene and results to be released before the CPO quotas are out, can't remember when they were out last year...I want to say June

They usually come out a day or two after the board convenes, so expect the 23 or 24 of June.

Guest itdominance

Hey, no problem at all.  It could be the one extra thing that we need to put us in there. Let's pray for the best.

every point counts at the selection board.

Guest AWFChief

just faxed in my missing period. muchos gracias senor~

I faxed mine in yesterday.  Anyone know how long it takes for the change to take affect?  I called and e-mailed NPC, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

I faxed mine in yesterday.  Anyone know how long it takes for the change to take affect?  I called and e-mailed NPC, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

Depends on what you sent in.  Evals around this time of year usually take 2-3 months.  I wouldn't count on it reflecting in your record before the board.

Guest AWFChief

Depends on what you sent in.  Evals around this time of year usually take 2-3 months.  I wouldn't count on it reflecting in your record before the board.

It was just the gap in eval memo you uploaded for being a NAVET

I am toast then!

It depends on what the statement said and then what the commands rebuttal was, because I am sure they had one, and even then if everything else is strong you shouldn't count yourself out. One eval might not kill you if everything else in your record says you should be selected and its is at the tail end of the 5 years.

Guest ETV(SS)

Which PMEs should I complete to submit for selection board? I am at my 8 year point and this is my first time up, so I need any and all the help I can get for selection board.

Guest itdominance

It depends on what the statement said and then what the commands rebuttal was, because I am sure they had one, and even then if everything else is strong you shouldn't count yourself out. One eval might not kill you if everything else in your record says you should be selected and its is at the tail end of the 5 years.

There was never a rebuttal. I got a 2.71 P with nothing documented in my record. Went to mast, got busted down to E-5 and sent to another command while my appeal was routed. My appeal came back & I won, got my e-6 back. Went to command to check out and transfer, was told my Navy legal to sign the eval and leave. Do not be disrespectfully and go to next command. I did that and submitted several statements that never made it to my record. The PMA average prevented me from making board in 2011, 2012, and 2013. It finally fell off and I made board last year.

My current CO here even looked up the CO that give me that mark and called him out on it.

Pers-32 attached a Memo stating the 2.71 could be no lower than a 3. My appeal to remove the eval twice didn't work. The committee stated that the CO did not put anything about my mast in the eval so block 43 is valid and the PMA was wrong but the eval would stay.

My statement that was finally accepted says that my CO refused to amend/correct the eval, and to submit a statement.

I know this is long. Sorry. Hopefully the board sees this as a bounce back

Which PMEs should I complete to submit for selection board? I am at my 8 year point and this is my first time up, so I need any and all the help I can get for selection board.

All the enlisted ones, Intro, Basic and Primary.  Primary (PPME) is the most important, that's E-7 and above.  Basic (BPME) is for E-5 and E-6.  Intro (IPME)is for E-4 and below.  They cover the same material to a certain point, but go more indepth for the higher ranking ones.  Also Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) is just as or close to as important as PPME.  The PPME and JPME are long so if you are going to do them before the LTB you need to get busy.  BPME and IPME aren't that bad you can probably knock either of them out in a day if you wanted to.

Guest CTAPNPSAS(SS)

Heck I just knocked out all five to be on the safe side. Another thing people overlook are the suggested courses in your LaDR from NKO. I've been using that as a checklist.

Guest AWFChief

All the enlisted ones, Intro, Basic and Primary.  Primary (PPME) is the most important, that's E-7 and above.  Basic (BPME) is for E-5 and E-6.  Intro (IPME)is for E-4 and below.  They cover the same material to a certain point, but go more indepth for the higher ranking ones.  Also Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) is just as or close to as important as PPME.  The PPME and JPME are long so if you are going to do them before the LTB you need to get busy.  BPME and IPME aren't that bad you can probably knock either of them out in a day if you wanted to.

I did them all to cover my basis.  If you're working on PPME, it is time consuming so I'd dedicate some time to finishing that before the board, since it's on the precept.