FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest hayes

Anyone seen the SBE list? .. or is there not going to be one this year?

Been looking too.. looks like it's a no go. I wanted to see names. Cycle 226 stats are now up on NAC portal though.

Guest Bugchaser

Hello everyone..it's n

ice to find a forum of peers and alike. I was told about this site from another peer.. Lots of good info so far.. Congrats to all that made board. I am blessed to have made board as well. I wanted to chime in on the SBE list, b/c I was told to be patient if those who want to see the list. There was still command submitting late exams and once all is done then there should be a list either by NPC or ALLHANDS website..

Got my ticket to the dance! I am in OKC and looking forward to reading all of the great data put out on this forum. I've already seen some great ideas and things to think about. I've resubmitted changes to my OMPF multiple times and have just got my Bachelors degree in there twice. Even after my Masters degree transcript was submitted, they just duplicated my Bachelors degree. Any advice?

Call the Navy College office.  When I submitted one of my transcripts the guy I talked to had me put his attention on the letter.  It went right in. 

PS1, you have to let the DK side go lol, glad to have another admin type on here.  In reference to the designation letter for Pres and Vice Pres, I wouldn't necessarily get one done just to send it to the board.  If the command was doing it prior then ok, however, the EVAL should lay out that the member is Pres or Vice Pres of the association and how it impacted the first classes and the command. 

I think this is bad advice.  If he were elected after the November eval it won't be on his last eval.  FCPOA P or VP can be a big deal, especially at a large command.  It won't show an impact since it is just a designation letter, but it does show that your peers trusted you enough to put you in a leadership position over them.  I would send it in with the LTB every time.

Guest ADUBMECH1

Call the Navy College office.  When I submitted one of my transcripts the guy I talked to had me put his attention on the letter.  It went right in. 

Thanks Chief!  I will do.

I see where you're coming from Chief, however, even if elected after November, a member is just sending a designation letter saying they're the P or VP of the FCPOA which is good and all, but anyone can hold a position and not do anything with it.  I see the trust angle, however, it's what a person does with what they inherit that holds value.  Just my opinion.

You are certainly right that showing impact is preferable to just showing a collateral duty.  It's similar to getting qual'd for a watch station vs actually standing the watch.  But getting qual'd does have value in its own right as does holding the position.  It's not going to make or break the package, but there are times (which anyone who has ranked evals knows) that there can be the littlest difference that separates two people.

The other thing is that FCPOA counts in community service/peer group activities.  That is an area that most are weak in and simply having the designation letter will score more points than most of the competition.

The bottom line is it won't hurt to send it.

• Like 1

Guest hayes

It could be due to late exams still being administered. We just had two of our personnel take their late exam, so if no list, that could be a reason.

Just found this out too. I talked to one of my buddies and said their entire command didn't get results on Friday because the answer sheets didn't get mailed in on time as they were deployed. Hopefully a list surfaces eventually.

Found a copy of my cover letter not sure if I can upload the file here so if any of you guys want an example just let me know and I can send it to you

The other thing is that FCPOA counts in community service/peer group activities.  That is an area that most are weak in and simply having the designation letter will score more points than most of the competition.

Nice thread with you and Backwithavengeance. That piece in the quote caught my eye as interesting. 

Guest PS1DK

PS1, you have to let the DK side go lol, glad to have another admin type on here. In reference to the designation letter for Pres and Vice Pres, I wouldn't necessarily get one done just to send it to the board. If the command was doing it prior then ok, however, the EVAL should lay out that the member is Pres or Vice Pres of the association and how it impacted the first classes and the command.

Guest PS1DK

Can't let it go until my retirement lol. My evals is documented with it so I won't send. It was just new to me that a CO would designate someone P or VP of an association. Always learning

Guest itdominance

My wife told me at lunch today that I am the senior E-6 in the Navy. I was like that's not funny. This is my 10th up for Chief. Made E-6 on the September 2003 Exam. Ugg!  Long story on why I have not made it yet. 2007 Should have been my year but did not make board(up all night troubleshooting and could not focus on test). Oh well, if it doesn't happen this year then it was not meant to be.

Evals are lined up, working on Masters, got command collaterals, sailorization, SSP, community involvement. 

Sorry for the rant. Just bored, my e-5's got debriefed and evals signed this am,  and about to go run 3 miles. Good night everyone! Just waiting on my final grades to post on my JST to send in my package but that isn't until early May. 16 week classes are boring!

My wife told me at lunch today that I am the senior E-6 in the Navy. I was like that's not funny. This is my 10th up for Chief. Made E-6 on the September 2003 Exam. Ugg!  Long story on why I have not made it yet. 2007 Should have been my year but did not make board(up all night troubleshooting and could not focus on test). Oh well, if it doesn't happen this year then it was not meant to be.

Evals are lined up, working on Masters, got command collaterals, sailorization, SSP, community involvement. 

Sorry for the rant. Just bored, my e-5's got debriefed and evals signed this am,  and about to go run 3 miles. Good night everyone! Just waiting on my final grades to post on my JST to send in my package but that isn't until early May. 16 week classes are boring!

Maybe in Active Duty, in the Reserves we have E-6's that have been E-6's for 20 years in the Voluntary Training Unit (VTU).  Once they hit HYT they get moved to he VTU.  One IT1 I knew had service stripes that almost hit his rating badge.

Guest tokeisch

They were both for LPO duties at sea/shore, not transfer NAM's.

Im no PS or YN, but i do believe you can have #2 in your record within a week or so, depending on who you know in Admin/PSD. As for #4, im not sure how you fix that one.

Maybe someone else can offer some advice on that issue.....

Guest NYC Rigger

Not sure why they wouldn't be as they've done it years past.  Seeing how fast they got the SBE word out, I wonder if this is any indication that the Chief's list will be out earlier than last year?  6 August last year, I'm going out on a limb and saying 29 July.

Already trying to predict selection list? Lol I will wait for the board to convene before I take a stab at that!

Guest ABH-RUE

PS1, you have to let the DK side go lol, glad to have another admin type on here.  In reference to the designation letter for Pres and Vice Pres, I wouldn't necessarily get one done just to send it to the board.  If the command was doing it prior then ok, however, the EVAL should lay out that the member is Pres or Vice Pres of the association and how it impacted the first classes and the command. 

I understand what you are saying but our elections were held later in the year . Our evaluations were already in the final chop when I first took over so it would show in my last eval.

Does anyone have a sample letter I can use? IF not ill type one up next week.

thanks for all the help!

I don't think it would make a difference, but would the board be able to see that I was sent TAD to help another command?  I'm on shore duty, but currently TAD to a squadron on deployment.  I get back state side around the same time the board is getting ready to convene.  I’m not LPO or anything just helping out a command that needs some help finishing out deploymet.