FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest itdominance

it was who was the Naval Officer that was the first person in space to orbit the earth or something like that. It was allen shepherd

Guest NYC Rigger

Did everyone see that the FY-16 Precepts hit the streets today? They look very different from last year. Anyone have inputs on this?

Guest itdominance

I really like seeing Special Programs and Collateral duties on there. "Nailed it!!" LoL

me too. As a CFL I run my program and three other tenant commands on base. I also do a lot of reserve PFA's on the weekends and at a moments notice.

I noticed that there is a lot of emphasis on those who've served in joint commands, and may not have received great evals due to having reporting seniors unfamiliar with the Navy eval system. This is really good for a couple of my ITs, so I'm pretty happy with this precept.

Guest CTR1NiceGuy

This exam may as well have been in German...because this is my 4th and toughest test. Since the change in the promotion system is geared more toward evals, I'm hoping that the grading scale is pretty generous.

Does anyone know how the boards sift through the piles of SBE sailors to narrow down the results? I understand the precepts, but more so, how it is applied to the board process.

There are a few stages to it.  But mainly it is a record by record comparrison.  Is Sailor A better qualified than Sailor B?  Than is Sailor C better qualified than A or B, etc...

In regards to this, I asked CNP while he was in town today, and he said in a round about way, that no impact would be to the final multiple, at least that's what I got from his answer.  What I was interested to hear was that PNA points would soon go away.  He stated that they're in the second of five cycles and on the completion of the of the fifth cycle, I'm taking it to start on the next exam after that, PNA points would no longer count.  Interesting tidbits. 

Is the 60/40 split a done deal?  It's the first I have heard of it.

I like it the way it is.  In the Reserves we get a lot of test failures with the new test because people were able to pass off of the BMR sections in the old version.  So we had a bunch of people that would get advanced and had no idea how to work in-rate.  The new system forces people to learn their rate, not advance or cross-rate to a rate that is more in-line with their civilian job. 

For Active Duty I don't really have an opinion except that there were a lot of INSURV failures back when they made the switch to the new system.  I think it was an effort to promote in-rate knowledge as opposed to general sailorization.  It might have been a knee-jerk reaction, but from my time on Active Duty I thought there was too much of a focus on general sailorization such of OOD watch or having 35 command collateral duties and there was no reward for being a skilled in-rate technician.

Of course it would help if the test was less trivia and more relevant to test your job knowledge...

Guest itdominance

Yes it is in effect now.  Are you saying that people have been able to pass off the BMR section alone?

I think what they meant was off of BMR and eval points. getting bare minimum on rate knowledge.

Is the 60/40 split a done deal?  It's the first I have heard of it.

I like it the way it is.  In the Reserves we get a lot of test failures with the new test because people were able to pass off of the BMR sections in the old version.  So we had a bunch of people that would get advanced and had no idea how to work in-rate.  The new system forces people to learn their rate, not advance or cross-rate to a rate that is more in-line with their civilian job. 

For Active Duty I don't really have an opinion except that there were a lot of INSURV failures back when they made the switch to the new system.  I think it was an effort to promote in-rate knowledge as opposed to general sailorization.  It might have been a knee-jerk reaction, but from my time on Active Duty I thought there was too much of a focus on general sailorization such of OOD watch or having 35 command collateral duties and there was no reward for being a skilled in-rate technician.

Of course it would help if the test was less trivia and more relevant to test your job knowledge...

The 60/40 split is in reference to the FMS, 60% from PMA and 40% from SS, changed from an even 50/50 in years past. I don't really see how this drastically affects our scores. The difference between an EP, MP and a P is still the same, even with the new algorithm. The only difference is that you get more points - but so does everyone else.

If I read it right, your post I believe pertains to the actual exam. That one is not changing, still 150/25 rating/PMK, which I also think is better than the old 100/100 split.

Yes it is in effect now.  Are you saying that people have been able to pass off the BMR section alone?

The 60/40 split is in reference to the FMS, 60% from PMA and 40% from SS, changed from an even 50/50 in years past. I don't really see how this drastically affects our scores. The difference between an EP, MP and a P is still the same, even with the new algorithm. The only difference is that you get more points - but so does everyone else.

If I read it right, your post I believe pertains to the actual exam. That one is not changing, still 150/25 rating/PMK, which I also think is better than the old 100/100 split.

Thanks for clearing that up.

What I was referring to was the exam.  The old way had it where E-4,5,6 and 7 all had different breakdowns of rate vs professional military knowledge questions.  Now it is 150 rate and 25 PMK.  Which may be too heavily weighted to rate knowledge, but it is far better than the 100/100 that it was for the E-7 exam once upon a time.

The 60/40 split of eval vs exam score is ok for E-7, but trying to memorize which rank has what breakdown is annoying because it shifts with each rank.

To answer Back's question.  Yes people were able to skate by off of their eval and score decently on the PMK section of their test and not have any in-rate knowledge and get advanced.  This was and is (because these people are still around) a major problem in the Reserves.  One you are countring on a Chief to know their rate and if they were able to advance off of 4 tests due to PMK knowledge than that won't be the case.  Two if there were a general recall and the Reserves were placed on ships you would have high ranking people who would need to be completely retrained on their rates.  If the new exam accomplishes nothing else it will make Reservists learn and maintain in-rate knowledge.  If they don't they will stay a low rank and get higher tenured out.  The holdovers from the old system will have to get grandfathered out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blondie

slowly working on my two master degree classes and coming back in here for updates! How is everyone?

I'm hangin' in there.  I can't wait for the SBE list to come out and all the discussion on package prep to begin again!

Guest seabee42

So I'm getting ready to do some cpo365 training and was wondering what was some common mistakes on evals that require action and a letter to the board? Also, what are some things you send to the board?

Thank you

Guest AWFChief

I'm hangin' in there.  I can't wait for the SBE list to come out and all the discussion on package prep to begin again!

So we meet again.  Good luck, I hope everyone makes board

So I'm getting ready to do some cpo365 training and was wondering what was some common mistakes on evals that require action and a letter to the board? Also, what are some things you send to the board?

Thank you

Missing evals or gaps/overlaps in dates are the biggest single mistake that require LTBs.  Really you don't want to send an LTB because that means the mistake still exists.  But if the mistake is identified and you are taking corrective action you want to say that in the LTB so they see that.

Guest itdominance

Thank you

Anything qual you have gotten since last eval, missing awards that haven't been taken care of, LOD's that were given after eval, college courses/degree not listed in OMPF, joint training/PPME certs!

Guest itdominance

just started on the SNCO JPME via NKO. Couldn't get it to work last year. On module 7 of 215. WooHoo! Did the BPME and PPME last year already!

Guest itdominance

That's good stuff right there, PPME is full of information, some I knew some I didn't.  The JPME gives you information from the Joint perspective with some stuff you'll know and some stuff will be brand new to you if you've never done a joint tour.

Yes I have done joint tours before.  Even stationed at an Air Force Base for 3 years. I think I may have one of the more unique careers as an IT. Norfolk, VA (got out for a year), San Diego, CA, Oklahoma City, OK, Bahrain, Brunswick, ME, Jacksonville, FL, and now Crane, IN. Haven't been on a ship since December 2002. Just completed module 75 of 215. WooHoo~!

Guest itdominance

yay. just completed 155 of 215, calling it day. Thank goodness for snow so that work slows down and training can be accomplished. Everyone that hasn't completed the training, get on it!