FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest AOCMAC

I read somewhere on this forum that some of you have submitted letters for President and VP of FCPOA. Does anyone have one that can be emailed to me so I can use it as an example?

thank you

I actually just had to do this.  Our evals were already in the chop chain I got elected in September.  Nothing made it on my eval about being elected as prez. I got with my CMC asked if we could backdate des letters for all my board members.  I got all the info typed up the letters he made it happen.  Done deal submitting it withy package.  

Guest AWFChief

I have always only seen my evals since I have been an E5 in the continuity report. As I said if there is a discrepancy do the proper fix, if it isn't going to be done before the board than put the explanation in your LTB. I honestly feel like me second year they were like oh look gap in evals, toss, even though my DD214 would have shown why it was there, which if you look you will see that DD214 is a form from OMPF that they look at. I am trying to find my board slide show that is very informative, I will put it up with Tony's permission when I find it.

Here's what I put in my letter to the board last year:

2.Please be aware that upon review of my service record, I discovered a gap in my evaluation continuity report from XX to XX.  During this period, I was considered In-Active Reserve which can be verified by reviewing enclosure (X).

I am a NAVET as well, so I enclosed my DD-214

Here's what I put in my letter to the board last year:

2.Please be aware that upon review of my service record, I discovered a gap in my evaluation continuity report from XX to XX.  During this period, I was considered In-Active Reserve which can be verified by reviewing enclosure (X).

I am a NAVET as well, so I enclosed my DD-214

There is a form that covers gaps in your record due to being separated from the military. 

If anyone is interested I can look up what it is.

• Like 1

Guest AWFChief

There is a form that covers gaps in your record due to being separated from the military. 

If anyone is interested I can look up what it is.

If you could, that would be great

If you could, that would be great

PM me for anyone that wants the form (or you can copy and paste it to word because it's just a doc file) it looks like this:

INFORMATION NEEDED TO PROCESS MEMORANDUMS FOR:

PERIODS OF DUTY UNDER INSTRUCTION (MEDICAL SCHOOL, OCS), INACTIVE READY RESERVE AND/OR NON-AFFILIATION

All of the information below is required in order for PERS-32 to provide a continuity memorandum to cover gaps in service due to a member’s IRR and/or Non-Affiliated duty status.

1. Member’s full Name ____________________________________________

1. Member’s last four of Social Security Number  _________________________________________________________________

1. Type of memorandum needed:   Duty Under Instruction (Medical School, OCS), IRR   or   Non-Affiliated   (choose only one)

1. “From” and “To dates” of missing period. (YYYYMMMDD)

1. Rate/Rank during missing period (YN1, YN2, PNC, LT, ENS, CAPT etc).

This form MUST be mailed (no exceptions) to:

COMNAVPERSCOM

PERS 32

5720 INTEGRITY DRIVE

MILLINGTON TN 38055-3200

Faxed or scanned request will not be accepted.

Should you require additional assistance, contact a Policy Assistance Representative at commercial: (901) 874-3313/4881/4882 or DSN:  882-3313/4881/4882.

"For Official Use Only - Privacy Act Sensitive:  Any misuse or unauthorized disclosure may result in both civil and criminal penalties."

• Like 1

Are there any Chiefs, Senior Chiefs, Master Chiefs available to look at EVALS?

yes, send PM, your eval is your bread and butter, breaks you out from the rest of the candidates, if you aren't already working on your next one, you're wrong, write them to the precepts
  • Like 1

Guest sk32004toLSC

ETFC

I am also a NAVvet and was curious if this form also would cover this situation.  I was an active reserve CE2 before I came back to active duty which shows in my continuity report.  When I came back on active duty, I came back as an E3 but advanced to E4 upon completion of A school, which is why there is a gap in my continuity.  Once I made E5 again, my continuity report picks back up?  Also since only a couple of months of that missing time were Duty Under Instruction, which type of memorandum would I select?

Thanks for the help!

ETFC

I am also a NAVvet and was curious if this form also would cover this situation.  I was an active reserve CE2 before I came back to active duty which shows in my continuity report.  When I came back on active duty, I came back as an E3 but advanced to E4 upon completion of A school, which is why there is a gap in my continuity.  Once I made E5 again, my continuity report picks back up?  Also since only a couple of months of that missing time were Duty Under Instruction, which type of memorandum would I select?

Thanks for the help!

SK, I think so because there is an option for Duty Under Instruction.  I would call Pers 32, you can get them with the 1-866-U-ASK-NPC (827-5672) number.  They will be able to help you.  They see this stuff all the time so if this isn't the form they can get you the correct one to document the gap in your continuity report.

Guest HOPE2BLSC

I have a question:  Has anyone seen the Non-select "N" given on different dates.   Last year I received on the day the results came out, then I received another one on Sep. 10.  It seemed weird to me, but I was wondering what that meant. Did I not get selected, and then my packaged reviewed again because maybe someone they selected opted out or maybe failed, I don't know, just a lot of questions running through this little mind of mines.  Any one else experience this?

Guest tokeisch

I have a question:  Has anyone seen the Non-select "N" given on different dates.   Last year I received on the day the results came out, then I received another one on Sep. 10.  It seemed weird to me, but I was wondering what that meant. Did I not get selected, and then my packaged reviewed again because maybe someone they selected opted out or maybe failed, I don't know, just a lot of questions running through this little mind of mines.  Any one else experience this?

Good question and thanks for reminding me.   Yes, this has happened to me the last two cycles.  I wonder the same thing.  Can anyone explain this?

So where are they suppose to be affixed, top right, bottom right, top left or bottom left.  Nobody at my command seems to know the exact answer, I have spoken to 9 different CPO's, SCPO and MCPO's and they all have told me differently.

From NPC CPO board General Info page:

All LTBs that are mailed to NPC CSC should be on plain white paper, paper clipped (no CDs, thumb drives, staples, binders, folders, or tabs), and submitted under cover letter to the president of the board. Candidates must verify the correct board number is on their cover letter to ensure their LTB appears before the proper board. Full name and full SSN must be affixed and legible on all documents submitted.

From NDAWS personal awards submission guidelines:

A) If an award is missing from a search conducted via NDAWS:

1. 1) Make a copy of your missing award certificate (the one with the embossed, color picture of the award).
  1. 2) Write your SSN and the awarding authority UIC under the SSN and the awarding authority UIC under the SSN at the top right-hand corner of the copy.

It looks like the board doesn't care as long as you have it on the page.  But pers wants it in the top right hand corner.  So if you want to be consistent put it there.

Guest AWFChief

It looks like the board doesn't care as long as you have it on the page.  But pers wants it in the top right hand corner.  So if you want to be consistent put it there.

I've always been told it does not matter as long as its uniform throughout your enclosures. 

Guest hayes

So where are they suppose to be affixed, top right, bottom right, top left or bottom left. Nobody at my command seems to know the exact answer, I have spoken to 9 different CPO's, SCPO and MCPO's and they all have told me differently.

I think anywhere is fine, as long as it's legible. I always put mine on top right, and the enclosure labels bottom right. I didn't even write it on the 881 that I submitted last year since it gets printed on the bottom.

So where are they suppose to be affixed, top right, bottom right, top left or bottom left.  Nobody at my command seems to know the exact answer, I have spoken to 9 different CPO's, SCPO and MCPO's and they all have told me differently.

Reference the Navy Correspondence Manual there is section in there that talks about correspondence to a board and how to label enclosures. 

Guest CTAPNPSAS(SS)

Long time watching from the outside...  Just signed up and first time posting...

Can somebody be too diverse?  Though I have been a few different ratings (undesignated SN(SS)/CTA/PN/PS/AS (FTS), my multiple rate changes have not been my choice (due to disestablishment of CTA rating and PTS).  I'm also a CCC, and I have advanced a paygrade in each rate.  I've been in four of the major "communities" during my career (submarine, intelligence, surface, now aviation).  So would this be looked at adversely as a sort of "Jack of all trades, master of none"?  I understand the whole sustained superior performance and leading/taking care of fellow Sailors part.  So, is there such a thing as being too diverse?

Long time watching from the outside...  Just signed up and first time posting...

Can somebody be too diverse?  Though I have been a few different ratings (undesignated SN(SS)/CTA/PN/PS/AS (FTS), my multiple rate changes have not been my choice (due to disestablishment of CTA rating and PTS).  I'm also a CCC, and I have advanced a paygrade in each rate.  I've been in four of the major "communities" during my career (submarine, intelligence, surface, now aviation).  So would this be looked at adversely as a sort of "Jack of all trades, master of none"?  I understand the whole sustained superior performance and leading/taking care of fellow Sailors part.  So, is there such a thing as being too diverse?

Interesting question, it probably depends on who you ask.  My opinion is that the more technical the rate is diversity can be a bad thing.  But Big Navy likes diversity whether it is within the Navy or Joint Service Operations.  As a Chief we are expected to be technical experts and leaders.  Being a leader is more important.  I think how you performed in the different arenas is more important than where you were.  But all things being equal I would rather have someone that is an expert in their job than the jack of all trades type, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that would disagree with me.