FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest EO1 (SCW)

Don't worry brother, JPME won't get you promoted… Your performance will.

Of course, but the 'bees are tight right now and I'm trying to do anything and everything to set myself apart. Will hopefully get my MOVSM in a couple of weeks. The performance on the evals is strong.

Looking for some feedback from any CPO's/SCPO's/MCPO's:

Here is what my LTB shall consist of..your thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

ENCL: 

(1) MTS cert

(2) ATS cert

(3) ATTWO Des. letter

(4) Masters Degree transcripts (shows my major and that I am currently taking the last two courses)

(5) Officer, Primary, and Basic PME certs

(6) Senior Enlisted JPME cert (JFSC… got lucky to knock this out as a PO2)

(7) USMAP certs (4 of them)

(8) USMC Staff NCO Academy diploma (was fortunate to attend their Staff NCO Academy as a Sailor)

(9) Senior Noncommissioned Officers JPME(NKO one)

I really don't wanna send all this… too much? Is it understandable given the caliber of the docs.?

If any of that is in your record I wouldn't send it.  You'll hear two different opinions about the enclosures.  1 is send everything you want them to see and 2 is don't send anything that is in your record.  If all of that isn't in your record you need to fix your record.

In your place I would send the transcripts, if you evals don't say anything about you working on your Masters.  Your MTS and ATS cert and ATTWO letter, these should be in your record unless you just completed them after November.  The EPME and JPME certs I would include because they aren't in your OMPF, unless you stated that you completed them on your eval.

If you want to highlight a couple of things that you think are very impressive than include it.  But you need to cut it down... a lot... in my opinion.  Right now it looks like you are just dumping everything on the board.  Especially stuff you did as a Second Class if it's not performance related I wouldn't be too worried about.

Guest HAZEGREY1775

If any of that is in your record I wouldn't send it.  You'll hear two different opinions about the enclosures.  1 is send everything you want them to see and 2 is don't send anything that is in your record.  If all of that isn't in your record you need to fix your record.

In your place I would send the transcripts, if you evals don't say anything about you working on your Masters.  Your MTS and ATS cert and ATTWO letter, these should be in your record unless you just completed them after November.  The EPME and JPME certs I would include because they aren't in your OMPF, unless you stated that you completed them on your eval.

If you want to highlight a couple of things that you think are very impressive than include it.  But you need to cut it down... a lot... in my opinion.  Right now it looks like you are just dumping everything on the board.  Especially stuff you did as a Second Class if it's not performance related I wouldn't be too worried about.

Thanks a bunch for the insight. Most of this is merely annotated in block 44. I guess I am getting too hung up on whether or not they will miss it. I wish PME's, MTS/ATS certs WOULD be added in OMPF. Ideally, I don't want to send anything. 

Guest HAZEGREY1775

It would be one thing if I sent in NAMs, pg4s, evals. That stuff is correctable and can be put in your OMPF. PMEs, MTS/ATS, USMAPs cannot. So, from a personal standpoint I don't see it being a bad move. Again, just wished it WOULD be entered, one would think.

It would be one thing if I sent in NAMs, pg4s, evals. That stuff is correctable and can be put in your OMPF. PMEs, MTS/ATS, USMAPs cannot. So, from a personal standpoint I don't see it being a bad move. Again, just wished it WOULD be entered, one would think.

It is odd that they specifically mention the PPME and JPME in the precept, but you can't enter the certs into your OMPF.  It forces you to send them in to the board.

Guest HAZEGREY1775

It is odd that they specifically mention the PPME and JPME in the precept, but you can't enter the certs into your OMPF.  It forces you to send them in to the board.

Right? Believe me, I would NOT send in those extra enclosures…. It's making me send them in, as you mentioned. LOL. Oh the joys of this 'dilemma' 

Guest Blondie

Excellent discussion so far guys.  This is the most important part... the part when we are all sending in our packages :)

Guest HAZEGREY1775

Do designation letters go in your OMPF? If so, I guess I gotta send a packet to PERS.

No they don't.

Guest HeresHoping

Hello everyone, first post!  I have a question on the MOVSM and OMPF.  I already searched the forums and instructions but couldn't really find an answer.  Hopefully some of you already have some experience with this. 

Why does MOVSM not reflect in OMPF?  I was able to find where personal awards NAM and above will be submitted through NDAWS to your OMPF.  Couldn't find mention of the MOVSM other than it is a "DoD CE&S (Campaign, Expeditionary, and Service) Category III: Personal Service Medal".  Is that why it's not in OMPF?  Will it ever be in OMPF?  It *IS* in my NDAWS and ESR (Old page 4).

Thanks!

Guest EO1 (SCW)

I guess that means submit it every year until you reenlist and close out your record with your updated page 4 from nsips. Or, is there a way to update your OMPF in between reenlistments?

Guest HAZEGREY1775

You can have your PSD mail out a 'Honors and Award' page from NSIPS and send it to PERS-313… I just had that, my member data summary, history of assignments, and training summary sent it and it reflects in my OMPF.  And all those documents I mentioned WILL be viewable by the board (since they fall within field codes 30-38).

Guest CBdive

Maybe they look at your FLTMPS.

Guest EO1 (SCW)

You can have your PSD mail out a 'Honors and Award' page from NSIPS and send it to PERS-313… I just had that, my member data summary, history of assignments, and training summary sent it and it reflects in my OMPF. And all those documents I mentioned WILL be viewable by the board (since they fall within field codes 30-38).

but I thought they could only do that when you reenlist. Are you implying they can send the awards page from nsips at any time and PERS will file it in your ompf?

Guest DeathMoJo

First post and sorry if this is a re-post.

According to the January "Plain Talk" series, ASM and RADM training data not pushing to your ESR and won't reflect on the NAVPERS training summary.  I am one that this is happening too, none of my NKO, ESAMS or TWMS training is making it in their since November 2014. 

I submitted my FLTMPS page to my local PSD for manual entry but we shall see how long this takes.  Might just end up sending the FLTMPS printout for the past 6 months to cover those trainings.  I have a few PME's, Bystander Intervention to the Fleet training, Suicide Awareness Coordinator and a few others I want captured.

Here is the link, the note is at the very end of section 3.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/toolbox/Documents/PlainTalk_Accurate_Pay-Pers_Records_JAN2015.pdf

Also, not to add fuel to the fire, talked to two CMC's that have stood boards in the past, one as recent as last year.  They said enclosures should be what is missing and what you want the board to see.  If you feel a designation letter is huge for you (EOOW, CSOOW, CDO, etc) then send it even if its covered in your evaluation. Pretty much said anything you feel that you want to standout send in.  Advice was to bank on the Master Chief reviewing your record at 1830 on one of the last grading days being human and make it easy for them.  Also was recommended to do a career summary sheet for ease of reference for them when going to brief you.

Just my .02 cents to all this, remember your package and everyone has their opinions!

Guest Blondie

To dispel any rumours:  I met with a Master Chief who has sat the board before.  He told me the only things they have access to are your OMPF (documents with field codes 30 through 38) and your PSR.  That's it.

Guest EO1 (SCW)

How areally you writing your name in the from line of your LTB? I see three versions:

NPC website example:

FI. MI. Last

Navy Correspondence Manual

First MI. Last

NAVADMIN (says to have whole name)

First Middle Last

any thoughts? I am tempted to use the example on the webite but the Navadmin makes it clear to have the whole name.

Guest itdominance

just emailed my LTB in. 8 enclosures:

PSA, JST (has my 4 USMAP certs), SNCO JPME, PPME, BPME, Bachelors Degree(Diploma), Microsoft Certified Professional, and ComptiA Security Plus CE Certificate that was renewed December 2014. Updated my missing eval from April 2007-November 2007 and my missing period from November 1999-June 2001 (IRR). Good Luck everyone. I am out until July but will browse by every now and then!

Interesting. I am working on deleting a duplicate eval, but my PSD said it's outside of the last 5 years, so it's not as urgent as getting a few accomplishments updated/into my OMPF. I do want a spotless record, as we all should, but I've heard that if it's outside of your last 5 years, not to highlight it. Thoughts?

I would try and get it fixed, but it isn't an emergency.  A duplicate isn't as bad as a missing eval and if it's only one I wouldn't stress it.  The 5 year thing is true kind of.  They can go back to the dawn of time if they want to.  But usually my undestanding is that they stick to the 5 years of past evals.

Guest itdominance

I didn't get an email from CSC saying that my package was received like last year. Anyone else have the same issue?

Guest AWFChief

I didn't get an email from CSC saying that my package was received like last year. Anyone else have the same issue?

It can take a few days to show up.  They could be back logged with Master and Senior Chief boards approaching.

Guest EO1 (SCW)

I sent my package today and didn't get a reply yet. I seem to remember last year getting a reply almost immediately. Let's keep each other posted on when we receive the reply. I bcc'd myself to ensure the email was sent, so I know there were no issues with email.