FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Long time lurker here.  I was rooting through my PSR and noticed I have a 2 month gap between March and May of 2003.  I know it's a long time ago, but I'm taking actions to correct it..  My question is:  When I submit my LTB, should I include the "statement in lieu of missing report" I am submitting to PERS-32?  Or should I just submit a memo stating I know there is a gap, and I'm taking corrective actions?

Submit it to PERS and submit a copy, with a memo stating that you submitted it to pers. You can submit an admin correction letter (you sign) and it will be added as eval correspondence to your OMPF.

Guest itdominance

Submit it to PERS and submit a copy, with a memo stating that you submitted it to pers. You can submit an admin correction letter (you sign) and it will be added as eval correspondence to your OMPF.

good advice. Doesn't matter when the gap occurred. Fill it.

Guest AZ_08

Hello everyone,

Congrats to those who are SBE. I made board for the second time, but I am not expecting a good outcome. I have been in for 7 years and I just transferred to my 3rd command (Sea Duty). My first command was a ship and I left as a Second Class. While I was there, I volunteered to go IA and as soon as I came back, I deployed with my ship; I didn't have to, but I chose to go. Then I transferred to a shore duty command in Japan made 1st shortly after. 

I completed a USMAP certification, JPME, and PPME. I became the SAPR VA and finished my Associates and Bachelors degrees before leaving. I have sailorization and volunteer service documented in my Evals. Professionally, I have done well. I have been an EP sailor since 2011 with an individual Trait Average above the SGA. Got SSOQ in 2014 and became a CDI/LPO of an ordnance work center even though I am an AZ.

I ended up sending 13 enclosures last year, which was terrible so I fixed my record. This year, I was thinking about not sending anything since everything is my OMPF, and those documents that cannot be uploaded (USMAP, JPME, PPME), are documented in my Evals.

My cons are not being part of a FCPOA because there were only 3 of us at our command. I did not get a surface pin while I was at my first command, but I am aviation warfare qualified. Also, I do not have sea duty time as a First Class, which is the one that worries me the most because someone told me that it is going to be difficult to make Chief without any sea time as a First Class with Sea Duty Evals to back it up. I would love to hear your thoughts since I am relatively new to this. TIA!

Guest AZ_08

One, never ever sell yourself short on any occasion.  You've done the hardest part which was making board.  If you get a chance, look at the total personnel that took it for your rate and then look at who's SBE.  I'm sure any of them would love to be in your shoes right about now, especially those who are at 18-19 yrs in and didn't make it.  Congrats on being SBE!  13 enclosures is a lot and now that you've corrected the issues from last year, if you don't have to send anything don't.  If it's documented in your EVAL no need to send repeats.  While the USMAP and PMEs are great, the number one thing that the board is looking for as per the precepts is SSP.  You will see SSP a lot on here.  Look at last year's forum as well to see what I mean.  Not being a part of a FCPOA may not hurt you as much as not achieving your Surface Warfare pin if you had the opportunity to achieve that.  I wouldn't necessarily buy into the 'difficult to make Chief without any sea time as a First Class with Sea Duty EVALS to back it up' scenario.

Thanks for the prompt response. I would say that I have maintained SSP throughout my career and that can be seen in my Evals, although they will have to look at my E-5 Evals since they go back 5 years. I hope that the fact that I have volunteered for tough assignments and I have excelled in out of rate positions compensates for my lack of sea duty as a First Class.

Guest amcreed

I know I'm late to the party, but I did make board again...for the fourth time. Been a little busy here at RTC being a RDC.

I know I'm late to the party, but I did make board again...for the fourth time. Been a little busy here at RTC being a RDC.

well it's bout' time... welcome back

:5229:

Found it. This is very helpful. Tony feel free to take it down if it has been previously posted, won't hurt my feelings :) I tried a link but when you click on it, it goes straight to a download. Hope this help some of you that may be confused as to what is looked at by the board.

Actually I appreciate it. It's always great to re-introduce material for those who may have missed it and will benefit , thanks much johnboywalton 

:5260:

One, never ever sell yourself short on any occasion.  You've done the hardest part which was making board.  If you get a chance, look at the total personnel that took it for your rate and then look at who's SBE.  I'm sure any of them would love to be in your shoes right about now, especially those who are at 18-19 yrs in and didn't make it.  Congrats on being SBE!  13 enclosures is a lot and now that you've corrected the issues from last year, if you don't have to send anything don't.  If it's documented in your EVAL no need to send repeats.  While the USMAP and PMEs are great, the number one thing that the board is looking for as per the precepts is SSP.  You will see SSP a lot on here.  Look at last year's forum as well to see what I mean.  Not being a part of a FCPOA may not hurt you as much as not achieving your Surface Warfare pin if you had the opportunity to achieve that.  I wouldn't necessarily buy into the 'difficult to make Chief without any sea time as a First Class with Sea Duty EVALS to back it up' scenario.

"Proven, sustained superior performance in difficult and challenging joint and in-service leadership positions is the number one factor for selection."  That's straight from the Active and Reserve FY16 CPO Board Precept.

Sustained Superior Performance (SSP) is a tag word that gets thrown around a lot that means 10 different things to 10 different people.  But in terms of the CPO Board I would say it means that the Board does not see a noticable fluctation in eval scores, responibilities and accomplishments over the evaluations they review.  This is usually 5 years, but can be more if the board wants to go deeper.  They want someone who has been consistently good at their job, not someone who decided they wanted to start trying two years ago and were average prior.

But to say SSP is the number 1 factor is an oversimplification.  It's SSP in difficult leadership positions.  It's easy to get SSP at an easy job where you aren't supervising anyone.  That means you have to look far down the road when planning your career.  Don't chose the cake shore duty billet in-between challenging sea duty billets.

What I read in that sentence is that they are looking for someone who has documented leadership experience at difficult commands (read sea/overseas duty or RDC/instructor shore duty) and were top performers during the last 5+ years.

• Like 1

Guest itdominance

RDC/Instructor/Recruiting those are all different beasts which weigh heavier due to the nature of the command.  I'd say ISIC commands wouldn't be "normal" shore duty as well.  I wouldn't say that it's easy to get SSP where you aren't supervising anyone for the fact that nobody is being supervised.  Sure the job is being done and may being done to the highest of standards, but if that's just it, it's hard to say this person can lead the future generations.  Sure they may be technically sound, however, we all know that the job is a piece of the puzzle.  Are they getting their subordinates recognized, etc.

Backwithavengeance,

that's the problem with my current command. I am command LPO but there are only 6 sailors I am in charge of. There are 12 of us total on base. I am over civilians and serve as a division manager. IDK how the board will take that on my eval. We do support Joint/Special Warfare so who knows?

Guest Blondie

I have a question for our resident expert Chiefs:  were any of you selected without any EP evals?  This will be my first year with only NOB, P, and MP evals for the last five years.

I have a question for our resident expert Chiefs:  were any of you selected without any EP evals?  This will be my first year with only NOB, P, and MP evals for the last five years.

My last three evals were EP's when I was selected, but none of them had soft breakouts.  They were all small summary groups.

Guest amcreed

An MMC that I went through RDC "C" school with didn't have any EPs and got selected.  He was selected off of a "P" eval.  Good luck again this year Blondie!

Guest Blondie

An MMC that I went through RDC "C" school with didn't have any EPs and got selected.  He was selected off of a "P" eval.  Good luck again this year Blondie!

Thanks amcreed!  I'm not worried about no EP evals since all of my P and MP evals are written strongly and match the precepts closely.  I'm mostly worried about our low quotas.

Guest amcreed

Thanks amcreed! I'm not worried about no EP evals since all of my P and MP evals are written strongly and match the precepts closely. I'm mostly worried about our low quotas.

Hopefully you have high quotas this year!!!

I'm glad you put this. I'm on a BMD DDG, which is considered "Arduous Sea Duty", so one would THINK that would be a positive factor for consideration.

My question is, how does the board have a CLUE that I'm on this type of DDG? My current duty station is listed as Type 2 duty. I've never gotten a straight answer on this.

That really depends on who sits the board, there is no way to know for sure.  But the short answer is probably not, unless your eval tells them.  If you happen to have someone on the board who did a similar tour they can explain it to the rest of the board, but there is no guarentee.  If you eval says type 2 sea duty that's a quick look up to sea what it means.  Like USAF2USN says your eval should say something about BMD.

That all being said I tell my guys that their eval should be written so my wife (who actively doesn't know anything about the Navy) can understand exactly what they did.  If she can't someone on the board won't either.  A Seabee probably won't know what BMD stands for or what that means in practical terms compared to someone who served on a DDG that wasn't assigned to BMD.  When you require someone to know something going into it so they know what you are talking about you are probably doing yourself a diservice.

What is BMD?  (sorry, flyer here)

That's why it's best to stay away from acronyms on evals and awards.  Unless it is something navy wide like the PFA.  You are going to lose somebody and if they don't understand the bullet it's going to be wasted space.

• Like 1

Guest NavySquid79

Does anyone know if you are suppose to scan in your ltb and enclosures in one attachment or should I make each enclosure a separate attachment in the email

Scan it all into one pdf file.