Navy COM from recent deployment

LPO during successful mobilization in 5th fleet

SJPME I

2 warfare pins from deployment

3M LCPO/DIVO

775 NEC

Guest navyordie123
5 hours ago, León said:

So, now that FTS/SELRES results are over with is the 27 still a firm date for the active duty quotas?

That sounds like a good day. 

12 hours ago, Kit718 said:

Not selected for MAC, WTH

Masters degree

ATTWO & TACSUP weapons release designation letters

Navy COM from recent deployment

LPO during successful mobilization in 5th fleet

SJPME I

2 warfare pins from deployment

3M LCPO/DIVO

775 NEC

In your words, what do you think you were missing or should have potentially done or had better stated inside your record?

Guest GuesserOfWeather
On 10/19/2020 at 4:50 PM, AG1 Clark said:

Unfortunately, I was not selected.  What a bummer.  I suppose that means that I will just have to work harder next cycle.

Keep striving it will Happen in Due Time! 

21 hours ago, León said:

So, now that FTS/SELRES results are over with is the 27 still a firm date for the active duty quotas?

Haven’t seen anything official. This is my guess since E8/9 quotas came out 3 days after panel 3 convened

I just recently heard that your year group matter as well. Has anyone else? If so let me know, because I went on NPC career overview for my rate and others and seem to fall in line with what my source is telling me.

Guest Helo_AO
14 hours ago, NC1 EL said:

I just recently heard that your year group matter as well. Has anyone else? If so let me know, because I went on NPC career overview for my rate and others and seem to fall in line with what my source is telling me.

I wonder how it factors in if that’s true. 

Guest AO_Beast
17 hours ago, NC1 EL said:

What was your source telling you? If you don't mind sharing, I would be interested in hearing this. Its like you learn or hear something new about the selection board process every year. 

14 minutes ago, AO_Beast said:

What was your source telling you? If you don't mind sharing, I would be interested in hearing this. Its like you learn or hear something new about the selection board process every year. 

This was actually the third time I heard this, but I ignored it because I always was told its all based on your records and LTB. I know plenty on NC's who have every single check in the box. They have everything that PO1(IW/FMF) posted about, but still haven't made and they been up for Chief before me. 

My sources told me that if you’re up for E-7 advancement and your year group falls under the quota line, they don't even look at your record long. He explained it further by giving a example:

So if you join the Navy in 2005 and that year group has 10 available billets for advancement and lets say there's 10 E6s who made board from that year group then all will get advanced. He gave me the same scenario, but there's 20 E6s up for advancement then those 20 people will be briefed to compete for advancement.

Honestly I don't know how true this is, because nobody knows except the people who sit the board. I believe it has something to do with it, because a few E6s who got selected this cycle did not even come close to having every check in the box but they still made it first time up. I'm truly happy for them, but wish somebody can give us a real answer on how this board works from "A to Z" and don't leave anything out! 

Guest Helo_AO

That’s pretty interesting! So hypothetically, because of my YG, my record may not even get briefed if it doesn’t align with available quotas for that year. Hmmm. For my rate, I’ve seen PO1’s on there last look for CPO with 18+ years in make it, and first timers with like 6-8 years in. Guess it depends on the rate too.

5 hours ago, NC1 EL said:

This was actually the third time I heard this, but I ignored it because I always was told its all based on your records and LTB. I know plenty on NC's who have every single check in the box. They have everything that PO1(IW/FMF) posted about, but still haven't made and they been up for Chief before me. 

My sources told me that if you’re up for E-7 advancement and your year group falls under the quota line, they don't even look at your record long. He explained it further by giving a example:

So if you join the Navy in 2005 and that year group has 10 available billets for advancement and lets say there's 10 E6s who made board from that year group then all will get advanced. He gave me the same scenario, but there's 20 E6s up for advancement then those 20 people will be briefed to compete for advancement.

Honestly I don't know how true this is, because nobody knows except the people who sit the board. I believe it has something to do with it, because a few E6s who got selected this cycle did not even come close to having every check in the box but they still made it first time up. I'm truly happy for them, but wish somebody can give us a real answer on how this board works from "A to Z" and don't leave anything out! 

Agree on "wish somebody can give us a real answer on how this board works from "A to Z" and don't leave anything out!"

21 minutes ago, kneppercr said:

How high above RSCA does the individual average need to be to stand out? What's competitive?

Take with a grain of salt, but what I have heard is: 

anything above the RSCA is possibly I’ve because you are above the reporting seniors average. 

but my question is when are reporting seniors RSCAs going to get under control control? Under the new guidance, in order to max out your pma+RSCA you have to be 1.25 above RSCA. So if a reporting senior’s RSCA is above 3.75, it is mathematically impossible to max out. And even then you’d have to 5.0 an eval which I don’t personally think is a legitimate rating of ANY Sailor in the Navy. 

6 hours ago, kneppercr said:

How high above RSCA does the individual average need to be to stand out? What's competitive?

Thats the thing, your CO or OIC could have high RCSA and your ITA doesn't have an opportunity to decouple much from that. The further you are from it, the more it effects your average you get for exam.

Last evaluation being #1 EP netted me 4.57 and RSCA was 4.05.. that gave me an average of 4.8 for that evaluation with the extra points.

Mine avg going into test is 4.55 .. I was told that was OK. Spoke to others in my rate.. consensus was majority had around 4.1 to 4.3. If that seems high, it may just be good sailors I was asking. 

Not sure if any of that made sense or if I was all over the place. Hoped I could help some..

8 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

Take with a grain of salt, but what I have heard is: 

anything above the RSCA is possibly I’ve because you are above the reporting seniors average. 

but my question is when are reporting seniors RSCAs going to get under control control? Under the new guidance, in order to max out your pma+RSCA you have to be 1.25 above RSCA. So if a reporting senior’s RSCA is above 3.75, it is mathematically impossible to max out. And even then you’d have to 5.0 an eval which I don’t personally think is a legitimate rating of ANY Sailor in the Navy. 

I resent that. 

Respectfully,

5.0 EP Sailor. :)

So, in talking to my last CMC who sat the board, (and this is also briefed on the NPC board brief power point) they look at how high you are above RSCA and your group average. The higher the better. Also, your average has to have substance behind it. In my defense, I have NEVER ever seen one, let alone on my name, so I was shocked to say the least.  From what I've been told from a Senior Chief who once was the 5.0 EP before he got selected to Chief, it was to send the board a message that they want YOU. I did ask my current MC about the 5.0, and he said they are unicorn rare on the board, so you don't have to think you're competing against a slew of them.