LS1, 

you maybe the chosen one.

reason I may not get selected.

-I have 2 P’s in a row

-First time up

-I May have had a altercation with the MC that sat the board but not sure lol

Reasons they would select me

-After 2 p’s jumped to a rank 13 of 134 EP

-Command SOQ, LPO at sea 3 years, associates degree, Bpme,Jpme, IA tour, USMAPs complete, army com, MOVSM, CPo involved, first class treasurer 

- My sailors have been advancing in a tough SH rate, when averaged last 5 evals above RCA, I precomed a ship. Oh and I am awesome lol 

Bro, thanks for the kind words, but this is also my first time up. Still not sure if they will select me or not.

You had altercations with an MC on the board? Sheesh, I hope that doesn't affect your chances

Guest Frye_Daddy
7 minutes ago, SK2006 said:

Bro, thanks for the kind words, but this is also my first time up. Still not sure if they will select me or not.

You had altercations with an MC on the board? Sheesh, I hope that doesn't affect your chances

For all you first time up folks, last year was my first time up, LPO at sea as a E5. 1st ranked eval as E6 bottom of the barrel P, no leadership (independant duty) 11 FCPOs. Second ranked eval as E6 was number 1 MP. I only had 2 E6 evals and was selected.  I will say nothing I did on shore duty or while I was an E6 got me selected last year. It was everything I did as an E5.  I too thought the entire time I would not be selected... Tell your Sailors to start writing their evals to the board early.

4 hours ago, TheKardiacKid said:

Alright.... I got an idea for a game to pass the time since I've heard this mentioned several times in this thread. All of us hopefuls are sitting here tapping our feet and telling ourselves "How could they not pick me? I'm fantastic!" followed almost immediately by "Ah forget it, i'm screwed. Better start studying for January". So post your top 3 reasons why you think you WON'T make CPO followed by your top 3 reasons why you think you WILL make it.

I think it could widen some perspective on the wide-variety of candidates the board looks at since I assume we have a high diversity of rates/career paths on here.

Sure why not...

Reasons not selected:

1) first time up and only completing 1 tour after conversion (went from HM to CTN IN 2015)

2) No MOVSM, USMAP, or Degree

3) only two evals as aFCPO

Reasons maybe selected:

1) first eval as FCPO was MP followed by a #18 of 219 EP

2) LPO/DLPO, leading in rating, leading in mission, filled billet normally for an E7, FCPOA involves, led 365

2) all the PMEs, NRTCs, volunteering, positive result from collaterals

Guest TheKardiacKid
19 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

From my understanding there is no more “grading”. That’s what used to get you to he tank. Now every record goes

Very interesting if that’s the case. Seems like the board would take a lot longer w/o grading packages first.

Guest Clampdown Master

Reason won't get selected.

First time up after rating conversion (MR to DC)

No MOVSM, USMAP, JPME, or completed degree.

Reason I may get selected.

2 periodic EPs

EOOW Letter

Recruiting Duty

LPO at Sea

Took part in Sailor 2025 JDTA.

Some collaterals in the past.

But who knows, if it's in the cards then it will happen. 

Guest ScrubNation
4 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

I would agree, but both active and SELRES/FTS boards finished early this year

They should just go ahead and end our suffering. All the names are sitting on someones desk right now.

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009

Ooo me next!

Reasons why I "should" make it

1. Fully qualified in rate for both ADP and Radio, CSTT, IW/SW/AW pins. Got my ATS, MTS, PPME, SEJPME, SSOQ FY 17, MOVSM.  Outside of rate quals such as ATTWO, COG, ATTT. 7 NAMS (not sure if awards matter now and days)

2. Highly involved in FCPOA and was FCPOA treasurer.  Highly involved in CPO 365 and let CPO 365 PT sessions. ACFL, FEP Coordinator, SAPR VA, INDOC Instructor, Sponsorship Coordinator.

3. LPO at Sea 12 months (including deployment), while in the yards I volunteered to go PMA QA and was PMA QA LPO for 12 months and then came back to my department (C5I) to finish up my tour as Dept LPO for 12 months. Evals from August 2014 to November 2017 were stellar and all above RSCA (except for my Welcome aboard P when I reported in August 2014 - November 2014, but then I showed a lot of progression and finished very strong)

Reasons why I did not get Selected...again

1. No associates degree

2. No USMAPs

3. IF they go way back more than 5 years and see my back to back P’s when I made first class (2010 and 2011), then transfer EP 1 of 1. Then during my Instructor Duty tour (June 2011 to August 2014) I received welcome aboard P, then back to back MP’s (both 3.86 below RSCA, no progression) and then a transfer EP 1 of 1 (slightly above RSCA).

Guest STG1SW

Hey everyone been watching this since my first time up for chief in 2013. Looking forward to chatting with you all about this this year as we await the results. Only one more week at most until we can either start the CPO indic or get ready to do this whole thing over again next year. Good luck.

Guest Charlie 802

Reasons against:

First time up.

Not qualified Combat Systems Coordinator or LPO at sea (I left the boat as a 2nd.)

My LTB included a picture of my SOQ plaque because all I had was the FLOC's 1650 Signed by the CO (as originator) and pending approval from the Admiral. I sent that as well.

Reasons for:

My only two E-6 Evals are #1 MP/ 44 and EP 6/66 Reporting Senior/ 17/220 Command.

Decent collaterals: I am the 3MC and a department CC.

I was selected for SOQ this past quarter.

13 minutes ago, STG1SW said:

Hey everyone been watching this since my first time up for chief in 2013. Looking forward to chatting with you all about this this year as we await the results. Only one more week at most until we can either start the CPO indic or get ready to do this whole thing over again next year. Good luck.

A fellow STG1. Where you stationed out of?

Guest Stazz

You know it's getting serious when you look at the flight schedule and see CPO INITIATION scheduled for the XO, CMC, and all Required.

As for evals as a FCPO, MP, EP, EP, P, P. Not a good trend but the first P is a check-in eval (11 months but at school for 4 months) and the second P was driven by only 1 FCPO transferring in the whole year. I've done what I can and have taken advantage of every opportunity.

What I'm missing: documented use of CDI qual as a FCPO (instructor tour and long wait for NEC pre-req). I got qualified on last eval. No documented time as QAR (current billet) but I sent my Full-Systems /12 to the board. LPO (stuck in traffic, average AT1 in current command had 4-6 years on me) but will take over day after Triad notification if not on list. and Safe For Flight (only qual left)

What I have: AW/SW (documented qualifying seniors and subordinates) MTS, Master's Degree, FCC License, all PME (yes, every single one available), Duty Section Leader, Command Sailor 360 Coordinator, Phase Maint. Coordinator, MOVSM, Full systems QAR, Bystander Intervention Facilitator, Divisional Career Counselor, FCPOA Secretary/VP (previous command)

Funny how quickly you can talk yourself up and beat yourself down in your head as you think about your package. Can't wait to be done with next week.

17 hours ago, PO Theo said:

But since we're talking about evals.. check this out. I have nothing but Promotables. All of my trait averages are less than the summary group averages. The nature of my rate, NC (Hometown), is that we were never able to make Chief until last year. As a result, it was common practice to give all hometown recruiters P's and to save the higher grades for NCs that were eligible to promote. 

I was unaware that you weren't eligible until your last year I thought the trade off of the steady duty station was you were never eligible for Chief learn something new everyday.

17 hours ago, MR1(SW/SCW/AW said:

P Evals is not a bad thing. If your nothing but an ep sailor, then you better have a lot of supporting documents along with it, ie sailor of the years and stuff. Or they will see through the bs an for some sailors, realize they are just a polictal sailor. Start with a P end with an EP, shows progression of continual improvement. But hey I’m still a first. So who knows. Just what I’ve been preached too by a lot of CMC’s an such.

I took the non scenic route to Chief. I’m a LS no ranked EPs ever in my 10yr career, no SOQ/SOY ever, no degrees and no MOVSM. Being involved and evals above RSCA are more important than the EP, MP, P IMO. Some Sailors have nothing but EPs but the write up is not in line with said EP.  I can not stress to you how much you are doing for junior Sailors and the command will out weigh everything else.

Guest PO Theo
13 hours ago, TheKardiacKid said:

Alright.... I got an idea for a game to pass the time since I've heard this mentioned several times in this thread. All of us hopefuls are sitting here tapping our feet and telling ourselves "How could they not pick me? I'm fantastic!" followed almost immediately by "Ah forget it, i'm screwed. Better start studying for January". So post your top 3 reasons why you think you WON'T make CPO followed by your top 3 reasons why you think you WILL make it.

I think it could widen some perspective on the wide-variety of candidates the board looks at since I assume we have a high diversity of rates/career paths on here.

Love this idea. 

Why I'll be wearing anchors:

1. I possess every possible qualification at my paygrade including a Chief level qual.

2. Collateral duties of UPC, CAT team member, CPO365 trainer, divisional career counselor

3. Extra crap - Associate's degree earned in 2013 with 16 credits taken every year since then. All three USMAPs that I can earn have been earned. PPME and JPME completed. MOVSM with over 100 community service hours documented on every eval. 

Why my package was shredded immediately:

1. Hometown Medical Recruiter - instruction says we're eligible for selection, but we have the same NEC as regular Hometown Recruiters. No HMR has been selected since program started two years ago.

2. All evals as E-6 are P, with averages lower than the group summary average.

3. Currently in a position with no leadership.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass

Looking st the convening order from last year to this year, they don’t say anything about FCPOA or CPO365 involvement other the talking about the CPO guide for how to act this year. Last year it was a big emphasis. Seems like the board was more primary job, qualifications, leadership driven over anything this year.

Guest TheKardiacKid
21 minutes ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

Looking st the convening order from last year to this year, they don’t say anything about FCPOA or CPO365 involvement other the talking about the CPO guide for how to act this year. Last year it was a big emphasis. Seems like the board was more primary job, qualifications, leadership driven over anything this year.

Hard to say if it’s completely dropped from consideration since 365/FCPOA are still listed in many rating LaDRs.

Reasons I think I’ll make it this time (my second time up)

1. I have LPO this time.

2. I have 2 MOVSM, 1st NCM, SW/IW 

3. Ranked number 1/52 on last ship at a FDNF command

4. Ranked number 6/70 at last command at a FDNF command

5.  all SEJEMPE, JPME are done

6. All USMAP are done

7. Have Associates Degree

8.  Lead the FCPOA as an officer multiple times

9.  Currently boat Team lead for the whole Base for Sailor 360 and is documented for the board 

Reason I won’t make it

1. Quotas limitations 

Guest PO Theo
3 hours ago, LSHARP said:

I was unaware that you weren't eligible until your last year I thought the trade off of the steady duty station was you were never eligible for Chief learn something new everyday.

You are correct, for regular hometown recruiters. Two years ago, the Navy came out with a program called Hometown Medical Recruiter (HMR). This program is for recruiting medical Officers, which is by far the hardest market for recruiting.  There is only one per district, so at max there are 26 in the country. The incentive was that people would be able to make Chief in this program. At least, that's what we were told. 

Guest PO Theo
16 hours ago, Riverine Rat said:

Where are you out of? I’m at NRD Raleigh and got some good guidance from my CR and YNCM. NCR fall under the admin rates and my YNCM (never say a Chiefs board but did sit the senior broad this year) had some good info about what they look for as far as Senior and Master Chiefs boards. Told me not to worry to much about it as they will brief the ladder as well as “If” you have someone within your rate giving the brief will add what they look for as must have career milestones. Said evals really come down to your write up and they don’t look to much at the P, MP, EP unless your talking time break but that there are more important things you can have to help with tie braking that who had an EP, MP, P because they understand sometimes those who deserve don’t get and other get handed because positions. My old AOCM who sat many boards told me that as well because in weapons all your LPO, they’d to get the EP’s because of the position or else they would not have them as the LPO. Take it for what’s its worth but just the info I have received

I'm out of NRD Atlanta. Thanks for the info!

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
20 hours ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

With the results coming out next week (still betting on the 31st for triad), am I the only one looking back at my recent evals and LTB and with confidence telling myself "I have a great feeling I'm getting that "S"!   But then the negativity comes out of you when you look back more than 5 years (entire career) saying, "I'm definitely not getting that "S". Oh the tragedy!

I am the exact opposite, my entire career has been breakoout MPs and EPs, until I made first, then it was P, 3MPs, then two breakout EPs. The 3 Mps were split between two commands, it looks like I slowed down for two years then picked it back up. Dont like my chances again this year, if I get the N. I wont be studying much for the test next year