Guest TheKardiacKid
23 minutes ago, TheKardiacKid said:

Alright.... I got an idea for a game to pass the time since I've heard this mentioned several times in this thread. All of us hopefuls are sitting here tapping our feet and telling ourselves "How could they not pick me? I'm fantastic!" followed almost immediately by "Ah forget it, i'm screwed. Better start studying for January". So post your top 3 reasons why you think you WON'T make CPO followed by your top 3 reasons why you think you WILL make it.

I think it could widen some perspective on the wide-variety of candidates the board looks at since I assume we have a high diversity of rates/career paths on here.

Why my package was immediately thrown into the trash can:
1) Only two evals above RSCA in the last 5 years. Was never a SOY or anything of the like.
2) Alternate career path where I didn't really hit major qualifications (in rate or underway) a normal Sailor in my rate would have. I did my "sea duty" in the desert. Longest underway I have done in my career was 6 weeks.
3) Never held one of the big-time collaterals (CFL, CCC, SAPR, etc)

Why I could get the S:
1) Been an LPO for 3 of the last 4 years at two separate commands. Well-documented success of my Sailors (quals, pins, awards, SOQs, high retention, PFA pass rate, etc)
2) Last eval was #3 of 52 EP, progression is on point (albeit lower than some in here) dating back to previous command (4-5 years ago)
3) JPME, PPME, FCPOA Prez, CPO 365 Lead, USMAP, MOVSM, AA Degree -- if there was a box to check, I went and got it done.

Crazy to see some folks posting "My last evals were MP, EP, EP, EP, EP, EP, EP..." 

😀Just playing around of course. just felt like there were some back-breaking P/MPs I really had to compete for. Good on y'all though, seems like there's some real sharp guys/gals in this forum from what I read. Cool to see where everyone's thought process is regarding their own record.

Guest Riverine Rat
3 hours ago, PO Theo said:

I can do everything they can do, and I have. Other than my evals, I have ever box checked except for holding a position in the FCPOA. But I'm afraid that this HMR position is too new. It's not on the LaDR, and there was not a single NC (Recruiter) on the board, so I'm not sure they'll even know about it. 

Where are you out of? I’m at NRD Raleigh and got some good guidance from my CR and YNCM. NCR fall under the admin rates and my YNCM (never say a Chiefs board but did sit the senior broad this year) had some good info about what they look for as far as Senior and Master Chiefs boards. Told me not to worry to much about it as they will brief the ladder as well as “If” you have someone within your rate giving the brief will add what they look for as must have career milestones. Said evals really come down to your write up and they don’t look to much at the P, MP, EP unless your talking time break but that there are more important things you can have to help with tie braking that who had an EP, MP, P because they understand sometimes those who deserve don’t get and other get handed because positions. My old AOCM who sat many boards told me that as well because in weapons all your LPO, they’d to get the EP’s because of the position or else they would not have them as the LPO. Take it for what’s its worth but just the info I have received

Guest CursedSwabbie
16 minutes ago, TheKardiacKid said:

Why my package was immediately thrown into the trash can:
1) Only two evals above RSCA in the last 5 years. Was never a SOY or anything of the like.
2) Alternate career path where I didn't really hit major qualifications (in rate or underway) a normal Sailor in my rate would have. I did my "sea duty" in the desert. Longest underway I have done in my career was 6 weeks.
3) Never held one of the big-time collaterals (CFL, CCC, SAPR, etc)

Why I could get the S:
1) Been an LPO for 3 of the last 4 years at two separate commands. Well-documented success of my Sailors (quals, pins, awards, SOQs, high retention, PFA pass rate, etc)
2) Last eval was #3 of 52 EP, progression is on point (albeit lower than some in here) dating back to previous command (4-5 years ago)
3) JPME, PPME, FCPOA Prez, CPO 365 Lead, USMAP, MOVSM, AA Degree -- if there was a box to check, I went and got it done.

Crazy to see some folks posting "My last evals were MP, EP, EP, EP, EP, EP, EP..." 

😀Just playing around of course. just felt like there were some back-breaking P/MPs I really had to compete for. Good on y'all though, seems like there's some real sharp guys/gals in this forum from what I read. Cool to see where everyone's thought process is regarding their own record.

I never had anything that crazy... For me it was more like the heartbeat. By that I mean last 5 EP(xfer), P, MP, EP, EP(xfer) all over senior Cumulative.

Guest TheKardiacKid
12 minutes ago, CursedSwabbie said:

I never had anything that crazy... For me it was more like the heartbeat. By that I mean last 5 EP(xfer), P, MP, EP, EP(xfer) all over senior Cumulative.

I was just being cheeky. Just making a point that there’s some impressive eval streaks in here.

Guest TheKardiacKid
1 hour ago, CursedSwabbie said:

Ok i will play:

Reasons for:

1. Sailor of the year cy16

2. 5.0 transfer eval where my CO stated in my eval " I do not write 5.0 Evans check my record. This is the one"

3. CPO 365 lead (made the schedule and training plan)

Reasons against:

1. Did not go to sea after shore duty because I got needs of the navy orders to a "sea billet"

2. My CICWO was done while TAD because of said orders.

3. No FCPOA at last command so no involvement there.

I noticed FCPOA was taken out of the convening order this year. Not sure what to make from that info.

Guest TheKardiacKid
4 minutes ago, STG1 said:

Have any of y’all completed both JPME I and II on JKO?

You have to be an E7 to do Course II, but I did Course I.

Guest CursedSwabbie
1 minute ago, TheKardiacKid said:

I noticed FCPOA was taken out of the convening order this year. Not sure what to make from that info.

Yeah I noticed that as well... I have no clue anymore. I would be okay with a hat draw at this point😂

4 minutes ago, STG1 said:

Have any of y’all completed both JPME I and II on JKO?

JPME I yes but i thought II was rank locked.

13 minutes ago, CursedSwabbie said:

Yeah I noticed that as well... I have no clue anymore. I would be okay with a hat draw at this point😂

JPME I yes but i thought II was rank locked.

There are ways around 👌🏻

Guest STS1(SS)752754

Why I think I will make it this year

My transfer eval of #1 EP was in there with all my other command stuff such as leading CPO 365 PT and training. Transferred right after the board convened last year so that wasn't in my ompf. Also have a transfer award. 

#2 I finished by bachelors degree in October.

#3 Qualified DOOW as a SONAR tech and was the LPO of a forward deployed submarine for 4 months who deployed. Was TAD there to help out the division. Got a killer EP break out eval and COM when I left.

Why I won't make it?

#1 never really been an LPO at sea for a long period of time (what every has said as long as it is there on the eval somewhere it counts).

#2 My eval this past November was a student write up was a NOB but unable to really do much for me since my final adjudication of my TS clearance wasn't finished so I couldn't really start the program I am in. I have a clearance and all just not the super ultra who really  killed JFK type.

#3 I am an ACINT trainee depends how they look at that in the perspective. Also just passed ten years in. 

Personally though I think I'm going to make it with a doubt. Being a sub guy and STS1 I am qualified everything which is what counts and done the extra curricular stuff. Plus they are making 65 of us. 

Guest CursedSwabbie
9 minutes ago, STS1(SS)752754 said:

Why I think I will make it this year

My transfer eval of #1 EP was in there with all my other command stuff such as leading CPO 365 PT and training. Transferred right after the board convened last year so that wasn't in my ompf. Also have a transfer award. 

#2 I finished by bachelors degree in October.

#3 Qualified DOOW as a SONAR tech and was the LPO of a forward deployed submarine for 4 months who deployed. Was TAD there to help out the division. Got a killer EP break out eval and COM when I left.

Why I won't make it?

#1 never really been an LPO at sea for a long period of time (what every has said as long as it is there on the eval somewhere it counts).

#2 My eval this past November was a student write up was a NOB but unable to really do much for me since my final adjudication of my TS clearance wasn't finished so I couldn't really start the program I am in. I have a clearance and all just not the super ultra who really  killed JFK type.

#3 I am an ACINT trainee depends how they look at that in the perspective. Also just passed ten years in. 

Personally though I think I'm going to make it with a doubt. Being a sub guy and STS1 I am qualified everything which is what counts and done the extra curricular stuff. Plus they are making 65 of us. 

That is awesome... I also whish i had your confidence in making it!  I felt like it is a great package but I guess I am pessimistic!

Guest PO14Life

So I will play...

possibly get the S

1. Seven years of LPO/ALPO

2. Fully qualified/Education I.e Bachlors and MOVSM

3. Great command impact i.e FCPOA VP/P, HPC, UPC, SAPR, CFS, and Outstanding inspection results.

Not get the S

1. Choppy eval history

2. Not enough breakouts

3. Not enough collateral diversification 

So my eyes have been opened and now I’m making sure from this moment on my eval are where they need to be. I don’t see why if the board looks for these breakouts they ever rewrite our evaluations  without them. I have shared what I learned with my junior sailors as well. In hopes that one day they will not miss out on an opportunity due to a few misplaced words.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass

im out of the Bremerton/ Bangor area and a Senior Chief I know, said the meet and greet is already scheduled for the 4th.. so definitely before then they should be out

Guest Frye_Daddy

I apologize for leaving you all hanging, just going off the first week in Aug, and what happened last year, Triad was notified on on the 1st Thursday in August. Just my thoughts folks. Good luck to all that are eligible.

Guest ScrubNation

I'm  an AE1, and here are my reasons why I should be selected.

1) I had what they were looking for

2) I definitely had what they were looking for.

3) I had what they were looking for?

Reasons why I won't.

1) I didn't have what they were looking for.

2) I definitely didn't have what they were looking for.

3) Someone spilled coffee on my record...... and slid it in the trash.

1 minute ago, ScrubNation said:

I'm  an AE1, and here are my reasons why I should be selected.

1) I had what they were looking for

2) I definitely had what they were looking for.

3) I had what they were looking for?

Reasons why I won't.

1) I didn't have what they were looking for.

2) I definitely didn't have what they were looking for.

3) Someone spilled coffee on my record...... and slid it in the trash.

LOL well played. As someone in Aviation I hate always hearing the "Safe for flight" I personally feel like yes it should be looked at positively but not negatively because I know at my squadron we are lucky if they let one first class in a year to get qualified.

Guest ScrubNation
4 minutes ago, AT1 said:

LOL well played. As someone in Aviation I hate always hearing the "Safe for flight" I personally feel like yes it should be looked at positively but not negatively because I know at my squadron we are lucky if they let one first class in a year to get qualified.

I have had my Safe for Flight for almost a year now. There are only three of us at the squadron that have it. Having it definitely doesn't make you a shoe in. My buddy had it before the last board, and he and I are patiently waiting to see if BOTH of us get selected this year......

3 minutes ago, ScrubNation said:

I have had my Safe for Flight for almost a year now. There are only three of us at the squadron that have it. Having it definitely doesn't make you a shoe in. My buddy had it before the last board, and he and I are patiently waiting to see if BOTH of us get selected this year......

Well good luck to you, that's what I hear often when CPO's look at my record.

LS1 here. Reasons I would get selected.

1. Out of rate qualifications to include ATTWO, Chief of the Guard, GLO, SW/AW/IW and fully qualified in rate. MOVSM, All PPMEs, 2 SOQs and various check in the box from LADr. Received a spot and transfer NAM everytime from last three commands.

2. FCPOA Prez at previous sea command and current shore command, Diveristy Committee Prez, Command collaterals to include CFL, CCC, SAPR, VITA, PO indoc coord, and command indoc coord (all documented in block 41)

3. Stellar evals above COs RSCA. Supply Dept Lpo at sea with write up in block 41) stating filling in as acting chief due to gapped billet on two evals. And last eval at shore command has MATL LCPO documented as my primary job in block 29 with stellar results in block 41.

Reasons not to get selected.

1. Haven't finished up associates degree

2. No USMaps

3. Wrong detachment date documented in career duty history (but no eval gaps)

34 minutes ago, SK2006 said:

LS1 here. Reasons I would get selected.

1. Out of rate qualifications to include ATTWO, Chief of the Guard, GLO, SW/AW/IW and fully qualified in rate. MOVSM, All PPMEs, 2 SOQs and various check in the box from LADr. Received a spot and transfer NAM everytime from last three commands.

2. FCPOA Prez at previous sea command and current shore command, Diveristy Committee Prez, Command collaterals to include CFL, CCC, SAPR, VITA, PO indoc coord, and command indoc coord (all documented in block 41)

3. Stellar evals above COs RSCA. Supply Dept Lpo at sea with write up in block 41) stating filling in as acting chief due to gapped billet on two evals. And last eval at shore command has MATL LCPO documented as my primary job in block 29 with stellar results in block 41.

Reasons not to get selected.

1. Haven't finished up associates degree

2. No USMaps

3. Wrong detachment date documented in career duty history (but no eval gaps)

LS1, 

you maybe the chosen one.

reason I may not get selected.

-I have 2 P’s in a row

-First time up

-I May have had a altercation with the MC that sat the board but not sure lol

Reasons they would select me

-After 2 p’s jumped to a rank 13 of 134 EP

-Command SOQ, LPO at sea 3 years, associates degree, Bpme,Jpme, IA tour, USMAPs complete, army com, MOVSM, CPo involved, first class treasurer 

- My sailors have been advancing in a tough SH rate, when averaged last 5 evals above RCA, I precomed a ship. Oh and I am awesome lol 

Guest MR1(SW/SCW/AW
3 hours ago, TheKardiacKid said:

Alright.... I got an idea for a game to pass the time since I've heard this mentioned several times in this thread. All of us hopefuls are sitting here tapping our feet and telling ourselves "How could they not pick me? I'm fantastic!" followed almost immediately by "Ah forget it, i'm screwed. Better start studying for January". So post your top 3 reasons why you think you WON'T make CPO followed by your top 3 reasons why you think you WILL make it.

I think it could widen some perspective on the wide-variety of candidates the board looks at since I assume we have a high diversity of rates/career paths on here.

Why I will.

1) my diversity.

2) leadership

3) arguous duties

why I won’t.

1) Evals have strong write ups, but no breakouts.

2) my diversity

3) my third warfare is not present. Just annotated on my Evals. 

Reason I may make it:

1. #2 of 23 EP at command( subs so it’s small) command CFL, show allot of progress, qualified and stood COW

2. PPME, SJPME, SS/SW/AW, qualified senior in rate and above(COW). Acting division  Chief for underway.

3. Before crossrate. Was #1 EP of 32 second class, qualified 301-312 DC, qualified up to work center supervisor in 3M. master CDI for QA. Multiple divisional collaterals, IA tour

reasons not to select:

1. Only been in rate since 2013. No degree

2. Failed PRT in 2011, minimal volunteer.

2. Not a lot of FCPOA or CPO365, involvement written in evals. 

1 minute ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

Reason I may make it:

1. #2 of 23 EP at command( subs so it’s small) command CFL, show allot of progress, qualified and stood COW

2. PPME, SJPME, SS/SW/AW, qualified senior in rate and above(COW). Acting division  Chief for underway.

3. Before crossrate. Was #1 EP of 32 second class, qualified 301-312 DC, qualified up to work center supervisor in 3M. master CDI for QA. Multiple divisional collaterals, IA tour

reasons not to select:

1. Only been in rate since 2013. No degree

2. Failed PRT in 2011, minimal volunteer.

2. Not a lot of FCPOA or CPO365, involvement written in evals. 

I forgot LPO at sea for 3 years 

On 7/24/2018 at 8:20 PM, SK2006 said:

Why would the board change from a two man grading system to just one man grading and briefing a package? I thought that was a great system to ensure that the packages are graded fairly so if one grade differs from another grade drastically, they would reset and grade again to ensure accurate grading across the board. The only changes I heard of was that your entire career performance is reviewed and all packages (not just crunch zone) are briefed to the board and voted on.

From my understanding there is no more “grading”. That’s what used to get you to he tank. Now every record goes