Guest PO14Life

So I had a soul crushing talk with my CMC. He doesn’t see me picking up this cycle. I’m trying not to get down about it, but it’s not easy. Anyone else have something similar?

Guest CursedSwabbie
16 minutes ago, PO14Life said:

So I had a soul crushing talk with my CMC. He doesn’t see me picking up this cycle. I’m trying not to get down about it, but it’s not easy. Anyone else have something similar?

Serious? Why tell you that now and not months ago?

Guest PO14Life
1 hour ago, CursedSwabbie said:

Serious? Why tell you that now and not months ago?

He’s new... I guess he’s just trying to prepare me. 

Guest BoatsJ
1 hour ago, PO14Life said:

The current cmc at my command told a first class that last year. That same first class  ended up picking up once the results released lol. So only then will you know. Keep your head up🙌

Guest TM4life
2 hours ago, PO14Life said:

Unless he sat the board and knows the results that is just his opinion. Stay positive and know that you still have a chance. 

Guest BoatsJ
13 minutes ago, VegasMA said:

The lead MA Master Chief told my friend that there was no way in hell he was going to make Chief anytime soon.

He was selected for Chief and then LDO during the same application period.

Haha well looks like he found a way. That’s pretty impressive happening during the same period.

7 hours ago, STG1 said:

How many first classes do you all know who have a Navy Commendation Medal?

No Navy Com, but my top 3 are ACM, NAM, AAM.  The two Army medals were EOT awards from my IA's.

Guest PO Theo
7 hours ago, STG1 said:

Just curious what everyone else has experienced at their commands.  The commands I’ve been to it was extremely rare for an E6 or below to receive anything higher than the NAM. 

I'm an NC (Recruiter) and we get COMs if we put enough people in the Navy in one fiscal year. It's difficult to do, but at least five recruiters at my command get a COM every year. I got one as an NC2. Everyone here has COMs. So, like someone said, it depends on your community and history of tours. 

Guest AE1(AW/SW/IW)

I have seen it go both ways, people being told they were a sure shot and not being selected and being told that they would not get that S and low and behold they did.

Guest Redsnoopy414

With awards I think it all depends on the command.  My last 3 EOTs have been COMs. But how the board looks at that or at all...I wouldn’t get wrapped around the axle on if an award will make or break you.  I also have 11 NAMs and I am still a First Class.  

Guest TM4life
13 minutes ago, Redsnoopy414 said:

With awards I think it all depends on the command.  My last 3 EOTs have been COMs. But how the board looks at that or at all...I wouldn’t get wrapped around the axle on if an award will make or break you.  I also have 11 NAMs and I am still a First Class.  

Wow! 11 NAMs. That's great.

Guest MR1(SW/SCW/AW
1 hour ago, PO Theo said:

I'm an NC (Recruiter) and we get COMs if we put enough people in the Navy in one fiscal year. It's difficult to do, but at least five recruiters at my command get a COM every year. I got one as an NC2. Everyone here has COMs. So, like someone said, it depends on your community and history of tours. 

They didn’t even give out six shooters or heavy hitters when I recruited. 2010-2013. I got rookie recruiter of the year and got an eagle statue. 😂

4 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

And I’m just over here, I got my 2 transfer NAMs. 

But as a sub nuke electrician, I have seen plenty of electricians not get many awards. We have loads of work, but nothing flashy to get noticed unless something breaks. So we tend to maybe get a mid tour or deployment award if lucky. Otherwise, we can get left out of awards since we don’t have engineering department evolutions. 

Of course that is something I am trying to not let happen at my command now. I want my guys to get recognized for the hard work they put in! 

Now, off to work on the boat. Got lots of maintenance and planning to distract me from the waiting game!

Of the 5 NAMS I got, 3 are transfer, 1 deployment award, and the last one is because the outgoing CO wanted to give the max awards possible.   I honestly don't care about the awards, and sounds like you are doing good for those that work for you.  If I don't make Chief I'm cool with it, just fine with the kid who works for me getting MAP'd to 2nd, and he got a NAM as a 3rd for the outstanding job during the inspection. 

13 minutes ago, AME1 said:

Of the 5 NAMS I got, 3 are transfer, 1 deployment award, and the last one is because the outgoing CO wanted to give the max awards possible.   I honestly don't care about the awards, and sounds like you are doing good for those that work for you.  If I don't make Chief I'm cool with it, just fine with the kid who works for me getting MAP'd to 2nd, and he got a NAM as a 3rd for the outstanding job during the inspection. 

Well, I seriously hope you make it and do thank you for the advise and posts you've given over the years!

😎

Alrighty then - we have more people joining up. I think an old timer is re-joining too. If you are that old-time, please let me know. 

For some, you need to reply to the validation email. If you don't see it, check your spam filter or ask your friendly IT.

:bigemo_harabe_net-85:

For one person, I re-sent the validation because it automatically deletes the pending account after about two days - I hope you see the validation email and join up. 

Also you lurkers are more than welcome to join and speak, vent or part with knowledge.

:128_1:

Guest Doc_K

Has anyone seen somebody who never had LPO on their eval or a E-6 ranked eval make Chief? Just wondering for a friend lol

Guest Sheldon73
10 minutes ago, Doc_K said:

Has anyone seen somebody who never had LPO on their eval or a E-6 ranked eval make Chief? Just wondering for a friend lol

I have a current Chief that was never an LPO and never had it on his Evals pick it up 2 years ago. 

Guest Doc_K
14 minutes ago, Sheldon73 said:

I have a current Chief that was never an LPO and never had it on his Evals pick it up 2 years ago. 

I guess there is still hope. I have an ALPO at sea eval and some ranked E5 evals but that’s about it. 

Guest TM4life
26 minutes ago, Doc_K said:

This year my MMW rating path requires an LPO tour for at least 12 months to be considered for advancement to Chief. I'm not sure about the other rates. You can check on NPC though.

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
On 7/24/2018 at 11:21 AM, Riverine Rat said:

Yes and now that I completed my BS degree if I dont pick up Chief I am looking at submitting an Officer package. Problem with that is I have 15 years so outside LDO, Im 35 so outside most designators for OCS other than Intel, IP, OceanO, PAO, AMDO. My degree(Business) and rate (AO/NC) dont make me the most competitive for these. Its fustrating when you want to do more but the Navy has limitations on the paths you can go. 

We have the same exact career path and thoughts. I been a first for like 8 years, 15 years in, outside of LDO and I will be 35 next week. We both are aviation. I know exactly how you feel!!

Guest TM1/SS
25 minutes ago, TM4life said:

This year my MMW rating path requires an LPO tour for at least 12 months to be considered for advancement to Chief. I'm not sure about the other rates. You can check on NPC though.

You have the link for our career model bud?