Guest Doc_K
14 minutes ago, CursedSwabbie said:

They mention this in the precepts this year...

This is the only thing I could find in the precepts pertaining to this, did you see something else. "It is not expected that every candidate will meet the typical career path and guidelines depicted in reference (a)."

Guest THEORDNANCMAN

Considerations for advancement from E6 to E7 For AO's

1. Sea Assignments:

 Should be qualified QA/SO for Ship’s Company and Squadron

 QAR for squadron and/or AIMD

 Dual warfare qualified

 Asst. Command Collateral or primary departmental collateral duty

 CPO 365 Phase I involvement

 FCPOA involvement

 Weapons Training Team onboard a CVN/LHD

 LPO or Production LPO, ALPO

2. Shore Assignments:

 Should include an RDC, Instructor (MTS required) and/or Recruiting Tour

 In rate assignments: FRS, Inspection Team, Major NMC, NAWDC

 Community Service

o MOVSM

 Civilian Education

Military Education PMEs

This right here will just piss me off even more if I'm not selected know I checked every block.. SMDH

Guest CursedSwabbie
18 minutes ago, Doc_K said:

This is the only thing I could find in the precepts pertaining to this, did you see something else. "It is not expected that every candidate will meet the typical career path and guidelines depicted in reference (a)."

Yeah... It was the firat time i remember seeing it in the precepts... I was also briefed from my Chain that the LaDR is starting to play a bigger role.

Guest Stazz
1 hour ago, Doc_K said:

Has anyone seen somebody who never had LPO on their eval or a E-6 ranked eval make Chief? Just wondering for a friend lol

My ATCS (who is AVCM eligible at 17 years of service) was never an LPO or QAR

Considerations for advancement from E6 to E7
A. Sea Assignments (all)
• Qualified (I/P) OOD, CSOOW, Duty Dept. Head; (U/W) ASWC,CSOOW, SONAR SUP COND II, QUAL CERT
• Advanced Qualifications (I/P) ATTWO; (U/W) ASWE, SUWC
• At least one warfare qualification (duty station dependent)
• Training Team member (Primary CSTT Technical and Tactical) (ATTT, VBSS, and ITT)
• SURTASS Tactical Coordinator

• Asst. Command Collateral for major program (ie: DAPA, CFL, ESWS)
• First Class Mess involvement
• CPO 365 Phase I involvement and leading a committee
• Assistant Watch Bill Coordinator, Assistant Duty Section Leader
• DESRON (I/P) SDO, (U/W) Staff Tactical Watch Assistant/Officer
B. Shore Assignments (all)
• STG “A” or “C” School/ Instructor Duty (MTS after 1 year)
• IUSS/CUS (qualified IUSS Tactical Coordinator, ACINT Analyst)
• ATG (qualified ATS)
NPC (Detailer)
• RDC (MTS at all levels)
• Enlisted Recruiter (Silver and Gold wreaths)
• FCPOA involved/Community
• Off duty education/PME/JPME
• Qualified CDO/SDO

Guest THEORDNANCMAN
12 minutes ago, STG1 said:

Considerations for advancement from E6 to E7
A. Sea Assignments (all)
• Qualified (I/P) OOD, CSOOW, Duty Dept. Head; (U/W) ASWC,CSOOW, SONAR SUP COND II, QUAL CERT
• Advanced Qualifications (I/P) ATTWO; (U/W) ASWE, SUWC
• At least one warfare qualification (duty station dependent)
• Training Team member (Primary CSTT Technical and Tactical) (ATTT, VBSS, and ITT)
• SURTASS Tactical Coordinator

• Asst. Command Collateral for major program (ie: DAPA, CFL, ESWS)
• First Class Mess involvement
• Assistant Watch Bill Coordinator, Assistant Duty Section Leader
• DESRON (I/P) SDO, (U/W) Staff Tactical Watch Assistant/Officer
B. Shore Assignments (all)
• STG “A” or “C” School/ Instructor Duty (MTS after 1 year)
• IUSS/CUS (qualified IUSS Tactical Coordinator, ACINT Analyst)
• ATG (qualified ATS)
NPC (Detailer)
• RDC (MTS at all levels)
• Enlisted Recruiter (Silver and Gold wreaths)
• FCPOA involved/Community
• Off duty education/PME/JPME
• Qualified CDO/SDO

So for everything that is required of you how many do you have, because it seems like it's tough to get everything. Maybe because I'm aviation it seems like a lot...

2 minutes ago, THEORDNANCMAN said:

So for everything that is required of you how many do you have, because it seems like it's tough to get everything. Maybe because I'm aviation it seems like a lot...

Definitely missing quite a few from the sea duty, but I didn’t do a complete sea tour due to decommissioning of the ship. Also on a frigate some of the qualifications weren’t possible and I didn’t make first class until after I left the ship so we shall see. 

Guest THEORDNANCMAN
2 minutes ago, STG1 said:

Definitely missing quite a few from the sea duty, but I didn’t do a complete sea tour due to decommissioning of the ship. Also on a frigate some of the qualifications weren’t possible and I didn’t make first class until after I left the ship so we shall see. 

That sucks!! I work with a guy that his last ship decom and transferred with a P because they ranked all the first classes. If he had left before then he would've been a 1 of 1.

That’s rough, I left with a 1 of 1 ep but didn’t get a soft break out unfortunately didn’t really know how important that was until now.  But shore duty was good to me I did extremely well so hopefully the board isn’t just worried about what you do while at sea.  With my 9.5 years in I only have 3 years 10 months of sea duty so far. Not complaining but probably have a better shot at making Chief at sea doing my job.

9 minutes ago, THEORDNANCMAN said:

That sucks!! I work with a guy that his last ship decom and transferred with a P because they ranked all the first classes. If he had left before then he would've been a 1 of 1.

I have one P and that was my first E5 eval hopefully the board either didn’t look back that far or didn’t worry about it since it was a 9 month frocked eval and the write up isn’t horrible. 

Guest THEORDNANCMAN
7 minutes ago, STG1 said:

I have one P and that was my first E5 eval hopefully the board either didn’t look back that far or didn’t worry about it since it was a 9 month frocked eval and the write up isn’t horrible. 

Fingers crossed.. Good Luck!!

Guest MR1(SW/SCW/AW
5 minutes ago, STG1 said:

P Evals is not a bad thing. If your nothing but an ep sailor, then you better have a lot of supporting documents along with it, ie sailor of the years and stuff. Or they will see through the bs an for some sailors, realize they are just a polictal sailor. Start with a P end with an EP, shows progression of continual improvement. But hey I’m still a first. So who knows. Just what I’ve been preached too by a lot of CMC’s an such.

Guest PO Theo
9 minutes ago, STG1 said:

I have one P and that was my first E5 eval hopefully the board either won’t look back that far or won’t worry about it since it was a 9 months frocked eval and the write up isn’t horrible. 

This is not going to break you. There's no way. Now, if you were an EP sailor that has a P as your most recent eval, that might carry some weight against you. Don't sweat it. 

2 minutes ago, MR1(SW/SCW/AW said:

P Evals is not a bad thing. If your nothing but an ep sailor, then you better have a lot of supporting documents along with it, ie sailor of the years and stuff. Or they will see through the bs an for some sailors, realize they are just a polictal sailor. Start with a P end with an EP, shows progression of continual improvement. But hey I’m still a first. So who knows. Just what I’ve been preached too by a lot of CMC’s an such.

As a first class MP with a sailor of the quarter, then #1ep two years in a row with a sailor of the quarter and back to back instructor of the year. 

Guest THEORDNANCMAN
Just now, STG1 said:

As a first class MP with a sailor of the quarter, then #1ep two years in a row with a sailor of the quarter and back to back instructor of the year. 

Yea that P wont stand, you'll be aight!!

Guest PO Theo

But since we're talking about evals.. check this out. I have nothing but Promotables. All of my trait averages are less than the summary group averages. The nature of my rate, NC (Hometown), is that we were never able to make Chief until last year. As a result, it was common practice to give all hometown recruiters P's and to save the higher grades for NCs that were eligible to promote. 

Guest MR1(SW/SCW/AW
4 minutes ago, STG1 said:

That’s some good stuff. You have the supporting documents to prove it all. 

Just now, MR1(SW/SCW/AW said:

That’s some good stuff. You have the supporting documents to prove it all. 

Yea besides what’s in my evals and the NAM for one of the instructors of the year I sent in the sailor of the quarter citations in my package. Unfortunately the last IOY I received I didn’t get an award for and the only thing I did get was a plaque but it is all documented in my last eval. 

6 minutes ago, PO Theo said:

But since we're talking about evals.. check this out. I have nothing but Promotables. All of my trait averages are less than the summary group averages. The nature of my rate, NC (Hometown), is that we were never able to make Chief until last year. As a result, it was common practice to give all hometown recruiters P's and to save the higher grades for NCs that were eligible to promote. 

That sounds rough, but are you still able to  get the same qualifications regardless of the mandatory P? I would hope they would look past the P and look at what’s actually in your write ups, qualifications and school or community service completed or sailors you led.  But I guess we will see come next week.

1 minute ago, Montrell1891 said:

You guys are losing your minds and filling up my inbox with notifications!:4225:

Well we definitely can’t stop now....

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009

With the results coming out next week (still betting on the 31st for triad), am I the only one looking back at my recent evals and LTB and with confidence telling myself "I have a great feeling I'm getting that "S"!   But then the negativity comes out of you when you look back more than 5 years (entire career) saying, "I'm definitely not getting that "S". Oh the tragedy!

1 minute ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

With the results coming out next week (still betting on the 31st for triad), am I the only one looking back at my recent evals and LTB and with confidence telling myself "I have a great feeling I'm getting that "S"!   But then the negativity comes out of you when you look back more than 5 years (entire career) saying, "I'm definitely not getting that "S". Oh the tragedy!

Totally normal 😂

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009
9 minutes ago, Montrell1891 said:

For me, I've never stressed about advancing. I've never studied, freaked out or gotten pissed that I didn't make it. I've always told myself, when I'm ready I'll make it. I made 3rd and 2nd first time up in less than 3 years, but I knew I wasn't ready to be a first so I stayed there for a while. When I felt I was ready to be a first, two exams later, I was there. I felt like I was ready to be a Chief two years ago, and this is my last look or I'll retire. Maybe I took to long to mentally advance myself, but I'm content with my decision. I've never wanted to advance for the pay or the position, I wanted to know deep down that I was ready to make a difference.

I feel you brother.  I've been eligible since 2011. I got CAP'd to first class in 2009 and all these years I never studied, didn't make board until I studied (3 years ago in 2015). I really took it for granted and my evals weren't all that either (no progression) even though I got my IW pin, my MTS and some collaterals, but that was basically it.  Then I transferred from instructor duty with a transfer EP and I reported to my last ship in 2014 and I hit the decks running hard during the 3 years I was there and my last 4 evals on board rocked, but I feel I'm a little too late in the game.  I heard from a reliable source they look back your entire career now.  But I find that very interesting since they have very little time to view records.  I mean do they just go off your PSR I and III and quickly read your LTB and your evals on ompf?  I'm at 19 now, so we'll see what happens next. Hoping for the "S" for you and I both!