FY19 Chief Selection Board

Guest Boatstheman

So I just got a head nod for Tuesday. We will see though. Good luck to everyone and may fortune ever be in your favor. 

Guest MannyTheET
1 minute ago, Boatstheman said:

So I just got a head nod for Tuesday. We will see though. Good luck to everyone and may fortune ever be in your favor. 

hg2.jpg

Guest Frye_Daddy
5 hours ago, STS1(SS)752754 said:

Social and name are supposed to be top right with enclosures numbers bottom right. And if it is more than one page you only add the second page number and so forth until the next enclosure. The MC that sat the board this year said to add the designation letters and so forth as then they don't have to search through other things in the eval to look for it. I put 13 enclosures in mine this year as I thought they were highlights that should be looked at and I did a Career summary sheet also. Each is there own. 

It just gotta be on the document, but make them uniform to make it easier for the recorders.

Guest OS1 (EXW/SW/AW/SS)
Just now, Frye_Daddy said:

It just gotta be on the document, but make them uniform to make it easier for the recorders.

I had a YN1 go full "correspondence manual" on my package this year, checking spacing and a plethora of other things I don't get!

I am no longer stressing over whether or not I get selected this year. I was 100% certain I made it last year as the quotas were 62 selected (up 20 or so from the previous year). Prior to the quotas being released last year, I new that the cutoff for me getting selected was 30. So if there were more than 30 selected, I knew for a fact that there was no way I wasn't 1 of the 30. Well, here I am, still a first class. I was definitely frustrated, humbled, and learned only that the board process works in mysterious ways. Ways that have never really been explained to me, now in my 15th year of service. Now that my rate is up another 20 from last years 62, It's hard for me to image not being selected. 

That being said, I have hit nearly every possible wicket available (3 of 120 EP, IW/EXW/AW pins, PPME, SEJPME, MOVSM, SOQ, COM w/R, JCOM, ARCOM, 2x NAM, CFL, SAPR POC, SAPR VA, CAT member, 2x deployments to Iraq (with 2x bronze stars and countless COM's awarded), LPO of 60+, LPO at sea, Led CPO365, Joint tour, BA & AA degree, FCPOA Treasurer, Division CCC, EXW Coord., Service member of the year award). I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of. 

My LCPO happens to be a Master Chief who sat the E8/E9 board this year, and an E7 board a few years back. He's pretty confident that it will happen this year, but as he's said before "stranger things have happened". I have sat down with him and a host of other Master Chief's who have also sat board's and I continue to hear the same thing over and over again, "KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING and you're gonna make it". This has become a running joke in my shop now. 

So best of luck to those feverishly awaiting the results. I hope that we are all selected and can put this behind us and help those junior sailors get to the next level. I am hoping for an August 7th release, as I am on leave and would rather NOT be called in early lol.

That's the end of my rant. Best of luck to you all!!!

Guest OS1 (EXW/SW/AW/SS)
Just now, IS Uno said:

I am no longer stressing over whether or not I get selected this year. I was 100% certain I made it last year as the quotas were 62 selected (up 20 or so from the previous year). Prior to the quotas being released last year, I new that the cutoff for me getting selected was 30. So if there were more than 30 selected, I knew for a fact that there was no way I wasn't 1 of the 30. Well, here I am, still a first class. I was definitely frustrated, humbled, and learned only that the board process works in mysterious ways. Ways that have never really been explained to me, now in my 15th year of service. Now that my rate is up another 20 last years 62, It's hard for me to image not being selected. 

That being said, I have hit nearly every possible wicket available (3 of 120 EP, IW/EXW/AW pins, PPME, SEJPME, MOVSM, SOQ, COM w/R, JCOM, ARCOM, 2x NAM, CFL, SAPR POC, SAPR VA, CAT member, 2x deployments to Iraq (with 2x bronze stars and countless COM's awarded), LPO of 60+, LPO at sea, Led CPO365, Joint tour, BA & AA degree, FCPOA Treasurer, Division CCC, EXW Coord., Service member of the year award). I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of. 

My LCPO happens to be a Master Chief who sat the E8/E9 board this year, and an E7 board a few years back. He's pretty confident that it will happen this year, but as he's said before "stranger things have happened". I have sat down with him and a host of other Master Chief's who have also sat board's and I continue to hear the same thing over and over again, "KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING and you're gonna make it". This has become a running joke in my shop now. 

So best of luck to those feverishly awaiting the results. I hope that we are all selected and can put this behind us and help those junior sailors get to the next level. I am hoping for an August 7th release, as I am on leave and would rather NOT be called in early lol.

Good luck to you

Guest PO Theo
5 minutes ago, IS Uno said:

I am no longer stressing over whether or not I get selected this year. I was 100% certain I made it last year as the quotas were 62 selected (up 20 or so from the previous year). Prior to the quotas being released last year, I new that the cutoff for me getting selected was 30. So if there were more than 30 selected, I knew for a fact that there was no way I wasn't 1 of the 30. Well, here I am, still a first class. I was definitely frustrated, humbled, and learned only that the board process works in mysterious ways. Ways that have never really been explained to me, now in my 15th year of service. Now that my rate is up another 20 from last years 62, It's hard for me to image not being selected. 

We can't all get selected. @Tony would be out of business.

Guest lydbkguy
1 minute ago, USAF2USN said:

Best of luck to everyone eligible. To the Chiefs on here does anyone know if the new Season guidance is out yet? Was hinted at dropping today but still haven't seen anything.

Its out.. My LCPO was just looking at it. 

Guest PO Theo
4 minutes ago, USAF2USN said:

Best of luck to everyone eligible. To the Chiefs on here does anyone know if the new Season guidance is out yet? Was hinted at dropping today but still haven't seen anything.

Had every Chief at the Command up at HQ today for a meeting.

11 minutes ago, PO Theo said:

We can't all get selected. @Tony would be out of business.

9 minutes ago, IS Uno said:

I can live with that... LOL, Sorry @Tony.

Lol, I'm missing all the action, the server is acting up so I cant read... will catchup later!

Guest Frye_Daddy
39 minutes ago, OS1 (EXW/SW/AW/SS) said:

I had a YN1 go full "correspondence manual" on my package this year, checking spacing and a plethora of other things I don't get!

I'm a YN, and used to hate when PO1s would have me type their LTB and enclosures.  I didnt understand why they didnt know how to do it themselves.  Now, I dont mind helping, if they get it to me before the last minute

Guest PO Theo

Me: "How's that guidance looking this year?"

Chief: (with quizzical look) "What guidance?"

Me: "The season guidance."

Chief: (big smile) "Same as every other year."

Whooo boy. It's getting close.

Guest OS1 (EXW/SW/AW/SS)
Just now, Frye_Daddy said:

I'm a YN, and used to hate when PO1s would have me type their LTB and enclosures.  I didnt understand why they didnt know how to do it themselves.  Now, I dont mind helping, if they get it to me before the last minute

I asked the guy what he thought word usage, just wanted to make sure I was stating something correctly... and he grabbed the thing, folded it in half, told me to send it to him digitally, walked me in and out of instructions...the works

Sadly he didn't make YNC (FTS), but he will next year!  This YN deserves it!

Guest OS1 (EXW/SW/AW/SS)
20 minutes ago, USAF2USN said:

Please don't take this as anything official but here's my $.02. The FY19 CPO guidance being released at the minimum today, I wouldn't expect results until the end of next week.  Again just the way I'm looking at it. If I were the acting MCPON, and with the new changes I heard going to happen this Season, I'd want to give my Chiefs as much time to prepare as possible. This may seem unfair to you guys waiting for results but trust me in saying this that the better prepared we are, the better Season you will have.

V/R

OSC

I agree with that statement completely

Just now, SH1(SW/AW/IW) said:

I think thru the towel in, already printed my bibs for Jan but still hope I don’t need them.

C1736EB2-658B-4EBC-9B1E-13C41367BDF0.jpeg

Me too!

Let me clear up some of the rumors.  There has been no word on when results will be released.  There has been no navy-wide Chief guidance released.  Individual commands may be training on their particular guidance but there is no navy-wide update. 

Once the official release to triad message goes out, you'll see it all over the place.

Guest navyordie123
2 minutes ago, CMC said:

Let me clear up some of the rumors.  There has been no word on when results will be released.  There has been no navy-wide Chief guidance released.  Individual commands may be training on their particular guidance but there is no navy-wide update. 

Once the official release to triad message goes out, you'll see it all over the place.

Well I guess that clears up the muddy water then. Standing by for the official word. 

Guest PO Theo
8 minutes ago, CMC said:

Aww, man. It was just starting to get fun.

9 minutes ago, PO Theo said:

Aww, man. It was just starting to get fun.

I know, the funnier ones are when the Chief tells an unsuspecting 1st a timeline and that 1st comes on the forum and posts "the facts". A few I have to delete because it is too obvious they are ribbing that guy or gal but it's all in good fun. But yeah @CMC is 100% correct and word needs to go out to that affect. 

:4219:

Guest Riverine Rat
2 hours ago, OS1 (EXW/SW/AW/SS) said:

HAHA, so true!  It's just funny when you actually train with them, pick up their mannerisms, and employ it on a day-to-day basis (JTAC range days).  I get along with the Marines, Rangers, and Green Berets around here better than Navy, and I have E5s here that respect me because I treat them like people.  My supervisor when I got here said I need to square myself away, but our new SEL came in with a similar background and told me to "stay the course, you're doing everything perfect"

So true! When I got back to the fleet I was told I needed to remember my place as a first class and stop being so “friendly” to junior sailors. I asked how treating junior sailors like grown adults and showing respect for their input on subject was a bad thing. Back at the “Ron” we could talked from the CO down to the most junior sailor as a person and turn Navy if the right people came around but always showing respect to seniors and subordinate alike. I never felt disrespected by my fellow brothers in arms even when we had issues to address and “BIGBOY RULES” went in effect. Still remember MasterChief Lee giving me that speech and he expected us to solve our problems like grown men and unless he needed to get involved he left it to us as First Class Petty Officers since we ran the Detatchments.