FY19 Chief Selection Board

Guest MannyTheET

Definitely enjoying this convo! Shows great spirits and that each of us is not alone in this nailbiting last few days!!

9 minutes ago, MannyTheET said:

Definitely enjoying this convo! Shows great spirits and that each of us is not alone in this nailbiting last few days!!

I think you should win profile pic of the month!

😅

41 minutes ago, OS1 said:

45DEDD06-39E5-46BA-AF17-55640357CD99.jpeg

What happened to this pic? It's not showing for me. You can re-post if you want and I'll delete the other one.

Guest CMCWO5

Created an account today because I noticed a bunch of people asking for this guidance. Will be required reading for you getting the S next week. Best of Luck!

Grant

-CWO5 (ret)

Screenshot_20180728-113556_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-113616_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-113633_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-113651_Messenger.jpg

Guest shindeepsailor
20 minutes ago, CMCWO5 said:

Created an account today because I noticed a bunch of people asking for this guidance. Will be required reading for you getting the S next week. Best of Luck!

Grant

-CWO5 (ret)

Pride runs deep. 

20 minutes ago, CMCWO5 said:

Grant

-CWO5 (ret)

Could I please get a copy that can be posted in its own thread? And please stick around!

Guest CMCWO5
14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Could I please get a copy that can be posted in its own thread? And please stick around!

Shoot me an email at grantmitchell71usn@gmail.com and I'll forward it to you.

Guest CMCWO5
11 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

That is a good read. 2 things stick out to me:

1. No fundraising. 

2. No all nighter before pinning.

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary than i would expect never have seen one of these. 

This also should be what our E6 evals should be speaking toward. Showing you are selfless and taking care of your sailors. If we are to become chiefs we are past the point of individual accomplishment, but rather to the point of command accomplishment and the sailors under your guidance. 

To all of you who wonder what is missing in your evals, look at these past 10 pages or so. How many people, including myself, have spoken of individual accomplishment, versus how many of command and junior sailor impact. Personally, I think my better shot at advancing is next year. My last eval is a lot of ME accomplishments, but that is now done. This next eval will focus on what my sailors have done and what I have done to make the command a better place. 

Take a strong look at yourself in the mirror. Make the hard critique on what you are doing on a day to day basis. Are you focusing on doing for you to advance? Or are you focusing on how you can help others succeed and be better sailors? I am pretty sure the latter will advance sooner. 

The all nighters stopped a few years ago.

23 minutes ago, CMCWO5 said:

Shoot me an email at grantmitchell71usn@gmail.com and I'll forward it to you.

Okay sent, thank you.

Guest navyordie123

The guidance is a great read and I just hope that all of us are so luck enough to get the “S” next week cause I know that it’s not just me but all of us that are beyond ready to participate in such a time honored tradition.  

1 hour ago, CMCWO5 said:

Grant

-CWO5 (ret)

Thank you!

Guest TM1/SS
2 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

That is a good read. 2 things stick out to me:

1. No fundraising. 

2. No all nighter before pinning.

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary than i would expect never have seen one of these. 

This also should be what our E6 evals should be speaking toward. Showing you are selfless and taking care of your sailors. If we are to become chiefs we are past the point of individual accomplishment, but rather to the point of command accomplishment and the sailors under your guidance. 

To all of you who wonder what is missing in your evals, look at these past 10 pages or so. How many people, including myself, have spoken of individual accomplishment, versus how many of command and junior sailor impact. Personally, I think my better shot at advancing is next year. My last eval is a lot of ME accomplishments, but that is now done. This next eval will focus on what my sailors have done and what I have done to make the command a better place. 

Take a strong look at yourself in the mirror. Make the hard critique on what you are doing on a day to day basis. Are you focusing on doing for you to advance? Or are you focusing on how you can help others succeed and be better sailors? I am pretty sure the latter will advance sooner. 

So I'd have to agree with you on the speaking to what YOUR SAILORS accomplished vice what you accomplished. On my most recent eval before my transfer eval I had 2 bullets about my sailors and the command and only one about myself. On my transfer eval, what I wrote got completely scrapped and was personally rewritten by the CO. He spoke directly about me, but theres a line in there, saying that I had zero input on this evaluation and it was written from the CO's perspective having personally observed me during his tour as the commanding officer, wether that will help me or hurt me, I am not sure of, but it meant a lot to me for the way he wrote it, so even if it causes me to not pick up this year, it'll still have meaning to me.