FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Those of you with USMAPS Certificates, do you have it documented any where other than your Evals?

I know they show up on the ETJ but do you have them listed in your OMPF or somewhere else the board will see them? Mine are listed on my eval in block 44 simple short blurb "USMAPS (2)", I'm not sure this is sufficent enough documentation. It leaves me on the fence about sending them in with my LTB, I am already sending 1 in I just completed and don't have listed anywhere, any thoughts on this?

Another thing to take into account is the "Early Selectee" quota.  Basically, anyone with under 11 yrs in falls into this category for E-7.  Here is the paragraph on Early Selectees:

1202. EARLY SELECTEE QUOTA. Department of Defense (DOD) has

established the Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS)

requirement which is to be met prior to a member’s advancement

to a given paygrade. TAFMS requirements are as follows:

E7 – 11 years

E8 – 16 years

E9 – 19 years

DOD has made provisions for early advancements. An “early”

candidate is one who does not meet the TAFMS minimum service

requirements. No more than 10 percent of the total number of

Sailors in the E7/8/9 paygrades may have less than the

prescribed TAFMS. The number of “early” selectee quotas

available to the selection board is limited to a percentage of

the total selectee quota. CNO (N13) monitors this and informs

the board of what percentage can be early selectees. The

percentage is an overall board figure, not a quota by rate.

Some panels may recommend fewer early selectees and others more

because the average time in service of candidates varies from

rating to rating. This percentage changes yearly.

I interpret this as a candidate having a better chance of being selected once they are over 11 yrs, of course while still meeting all prereqs.

A Sr Chief onboard told me that they did away with this.  I haven't been able to find anything stating that yet.  Has anybody else heard of this?

DoD Directive 1304.20 was revised in 2005 and removed all verbiage limiting services to advancing 10% of "early eligibles" as determined by the Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS).

Guest HM8404

Just wanted to drop a little bit of knowledge that a board member told me about two weeks ago.

MOVSM. Here was my opinion that I explained. I dont volunteer for an award. I volunteer because sometimes I get board and other times I am volunterring for my daughters soccer club. I dont think an MOVSM will get me selected or not selected. She crushed me right then and there.

Here is how it was explained. The board members will look to see if you are volunteering, it should be documented in your evals. They may give you a point or two, but if you have an award for it, there is a certain point ammount that they will give you. So why not, if you have met the requirement, submit for it. So in a since your right, having a MOVSM wont get anyone selected, but if your have SSP that little bit extra may get you over the hump.

So to all the hard headed people out there like me who have always been like "WTF"  inregards to the award, dont be. If its documented on your evals or you have letters or something that can prove it. Submit for it.

By the way, i was pretty close on the SBE results coming out. So ill start it again, the FY15 CPO results will be out AUG 2nd 1500 EST!

• Like 1

Guest ITCSDPW

Just wanted to drop a little bit of knowledge that a board member told me about two weeks ago.

MOVSM. Here was my opinion that I explained. I dont volunteer for an award. I volunteer because sometimes I get board and other times I am volunterring for my daughters soccer club. I dont think an MOVSM will get me selected or not selected. She crushed me right then and there.

Here is how it was explained. The board members will look to see if you are volunteering, it should be documented in your evals. They may give you a point or two, but if you have an award for it, there is a certain point ammount that they will give you. So why not, if you have met the requirement, submit for it. So in a since your right, having a MOVSM wont get anyone selected, but if your have SSP that little bit extra may get you over the hump.

So to all the hard headed people out there like me who have always been like "WTF"  inregards to the award, dont be. If its documented on your evals or you have letters or something that can prove it. Submit for it.

By the way, i was pretty close on the SBE results coming out. So ill start it again, the FY15 CPO results will be out AUG 2nd 1500 EST!

you get a certain amount of points for community service/volunteer work but you get max points if you have your MOVSM.

Guest ITCSDPW

I have to comment on the Career Summary Sheet and submitting your package. The more people you talk to the more OPINIONS you will get. I highly recommend doing the selection board training so you will know exactly what they know and will be looking at. You will get mixed opinions about career summary sheets, I decided to submit one and was selected for Senior Chief first time up. How much did it play a part in my selection who knows but it definitely wasn't a distractor or hurt my chances for selection. There are people who get selected with them and without them. Like everyone says in the end its your package. I can guarantee that if you have a strong package a career summary sheet or extra enclosure will not hurt (except maybe for admin personnel they have different/stricter rules).

So would they see my Nov 08 to Nov 09 eval?  June 2009 would be five years from the board's convene date, and that falls squarely in the middle of that eval.

I would say 'yes".

Guest Blondie

I was awarded the MOVSM last week.  The CO told me that he doesn't award a lot of them and I told him that a lot of people don't know what it takes to qualify to receive it.  A lot of people don't know that the instruction changed a while back.

Do you have a link to the updated instruction?  I looked around for a bit and all I could come up with were the old ones.  My Google-Fu is weak :(

Guest Blondie

Here you go....http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/134833vol2.pdf

page 55

"There is no time limit required for the MOVSM; however most awarding authorities require that the volunteer service must exceed 3 years in length and/or 500 hours of service."

I did find this on NPC and it is from Nov 2010.

Holy moly, 500 hours?!  That is a significant increase from what it previously was.

Guest TM1(SS) 755

That 500 hrs over 24 calendar months is just an example not the rule. As long as you show that you volunteer on a regular basis over an extended period of time you should be fine.

That 500 hrs over 24 calendar months is just an example not the rule. As long as you show that you volunteer on a regular basis over an extended period of time you should be fine.

As stated above each Commanding Officer has his/her set guidance for the MOVSM. I was awarded my second MOVSM and each CO I received it from policy differed greatly. It's a hit or miss when it comes to these. My humble opinion would be to seek your commands policy IRT the MOVSM and go from there.

I will be sending in all my PME certs and JPME cert(5 total) because although your 1070/881 shows you as completing the modules, the actual completion cert that comes from the Naval War College doesn't show up. Plus I don't think the board has time to sift thru my 1070 to ensure that I completed all 7 modules (Just an example). I completed mine over a long period so I feel it's easier to just send in the certs so that there will be no doubt that they are all done.

Guest TM1(SS) 755

Only 2 Senior Chiefs and 2 Master Chiefs for us TM's so it's not looking to good but they made 0 Seniors one year and made a bunch of Chiefs so who knows

So I see everybody has somewhat of an idea on what to submit with your LTB, but what is everybody doing regarding their OMPF?  On top of submitting missing awards and documents what type of other discrepancies have you guys found in your records and what have you done to correct them?

For me I discovered that under the subject tite one of my evals read "FITREP AND COUNSELING RECORD E7-06," but when I open it up it is obviously one of my normal evals.  Should this be a concern?

I also discovered that my recent reenlistment paperwork is not there as well.

Also, as far as evals goes I understand that a gap is bad, but what about an overlap of say 10 days?

Thank you all for your assistance.

Guest Msduval2u

Submitted my LTB today. Had my old YNCS and my AO review it before I submitted. God willing, I can follow in my dad's footsteps.

Guest shooter mcgavin

For anyone wondering how they can get their USMAP cert into your OMPF you can send it via email to vec@navy.mil. I am sending mine in with my package and was just told about this the other day. I don't know how long it takes to hit your record but I did receive a reply so I know it works. Hope this helps someone.

Guest shooter mcgavin

I will complete my required hours in 2 weeks, once completed, how long does it take to receive the completion certificate from USMAP?

I want to say mine arrived in the mail in under two weeks. Won't take long.

Guest Msduval2u

After having my package reviewed today, the Chiefs talked me into adding all of my designation letters. I went from 6 to 10 enclosures.  I've labeled them all and scanned them, but now I just nervous about hitting the send button.  This is the earliest i've ever been done with my package.  Last yr we were deployed and SHF was down for almost 3 weeks and we almost missed the deadline.

I closed my eyes as I hit send. I was very nervous. Lol

Guest Msduval2u

I want to say mine arrived in the mail in under two weeks. Won't take long.

If you email them, once they have the cert complete, they can email you a copy

12 enlsosures and holding.....time to have it re evaluated

I don't think the number of enclosures matter as long as they're items not in your record and can help influence the board.  I have a buddy of mine who sent in 17 pages when he made it.  On the flip side, I decided not to include my 1070/881 last year because I thought it would be too much.  Well, now I'll never know if that would have made the difference or not.