FY 15 Chief Selection Board

It seems like alot of members on here are scrambling to complete JPME, PPME, etc...

Quick story...I was approached by my CMC yesterday, who asked me if I had completed them, I replied "Yes, and they are all documented in my last 2 evals", he said "Great, but those hold zero weight over sustained superior performance"...

-Just my 2 cents

Well, reading between the lines, it looks like your CMC might have high hopes for you and reminded you about what needs to be done to make the grade IMHO. 

Going way back, in this forum, there have been many who did not know about the importance of Sustained Superior Performance until it was drilled in them numerous times or saw the light one way or the other. And actually there have been some who did not know about SSP at all.  BBb)

I have a tough one for you guys, so hopefully some of you guys that are smarter than me can help me out. 

I have two PRT's missing in my PRIMS record (within the past five years).  This was before I was smart about keeping up on this stuff, so lesson learned and its something that I push hard on my peers and juniors about.  According to the PRT instruction, you can only request PRIMS corrections within 12 months of the occurance.  I double checked my evals, and my PRT's are documented there.  So where do I go from here?

Send me a PM and I'll put you in the right direction. I've done these recently and personally know the Senior Chief and Retired Master Chief who work for OPNAV N135.
  • Like 1

Guest Blondie

My Senior Chief told me this today...

"LS1, you know the board mainly focuses on your last 3 years worth of evals, the other two years of the "five-years" are usually used just for tie-breaker situations"...

This got my wheels turning, so what do you all think?

Also, I'm still confused what 5 years he referring to...

5 years prior to 23 June 2014 (Board convene date)

or Nov 2009-Nov 2013???

Any prior board members advice?

This is a great question, and I am looking forward to seeing the answer!

Guest itdominance

I have a tough one for you guys, so hopefully some of you guys that are smarter than me can help me out. 

I have two PRT's missing in my PRIMS record (within the past five years).  This was before I was smart about keeping up on this stuff, so lesson learned and its something that I push hard on my peers and juniors about.  According to the PRT instruction, you can only request PRIMS corrections within 12 months of the occurance.  I double checked my evals, and my PRT's are documented there.  So where do I go from here? 

I am a cfl. You have to get ahold of Millington. I will pm you the email address so that you can contact the proper organizational code.

Guest itdominance

Stupid question.  In order to send the LTB, the message must be encrypted.  Outlook requires a cert to do so.  From years past, I can't remember where to go to download the cert.  Any guidance?

you can do the cert or use this website

HTTPS://SAFE.AMRDEC.ARMY.MIL/SAFE/

NAVADMIN 288/13

Guest Msduval2u

It seems like alot of members on here are scrambling to complete JPME, PPME, etc...

Quick story...I was approached by my CMC yesterday, who asked me if I had completed them, I replied "Yes, and they are all documented in my last 2 evals", he said "Great, but those hold zero weight over sustained superior performance"...

-Just my 2 cents

I spoke to a buddy of mine (YNC) who works at the Pentagon and he begs to differ

Guest itdominance

Both of you are correct.  I believe the misconception may lie with individuals who do not posses "Sustained Superior Performance" or at least not documented well in their evals, and believe completing the PPME or JPME course, or both, will compensate.  As hard as the PPME was for me to complete, and I mean that in the sincerest way, it will not ever trump a strong Leader's ethic and performance who always takes care of his or her Sailors, Division, & Command.  PPME enhances said Leader's attributes greater and propels them closer towards being selected.

My 2 cents.

exactly. I did the courses because I have the time and to learn as well as to include in my record.  I have no doubt to my SSP the last few years as I finally stepped out of my comfort zone and got command collaterals(DAPA, CFL, CFS, CACO) and mentored other junior sailors besides the IT's. I was an honorary ET and SEABEE at my last command.

Not doubting you but, the YNC spoke to MC'S that sat on the board as well

Weelll Msduval2u,

I will buy you that foo foo coffee from Starbucks  :bigemo_harabe_net-08:  you like that I cannot remember the name but…

All things being equal, ‘Sustained Superior Performance’ can trump other items on the checklist. Your YNC may have got the wrong picture.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong or if you want to add to, or delete because these are my words and not from the Nav.

Sustained Superior Performance

Superior Performance

A Sailor who’s performance is above his peers in all areas including professional, technical and off duty. This is the person who comes to work looks sharp uniform wise and is the person Chiefs and Officers come to for a straight answer or legitimate solution. Is a factor to your department’s mission success. (What is the mission of your department? Do you know? Come on don’t be shy, tell me…  :D ) Also if you are not trusted. Do officers or chiefs go to someone else beside yourself?

Sustained

Very important. The Sailor’s exemplary Performance has not gone down and is not unpredictable. Something such as a DUI, PRT failure or a bad hair day at your command that hits the “reset button” with your superiors. This person is predictably above par. (Was there a mission failure of which you contributed to?)

Generalized question to no one specifically.. .  :sxmas_100-138:

That is the holy grail that many have missed from what I have observed over many years on this forum IMO.

:graphics-3d-smileys-082254:

Guest Msduval2u

Both of you are correct.  I believe the misconception may lie with individuals who do not posses "Sustained Superior Performance" or at least not documented well in their evals, and believe completing the PPME or JPME course, or both, will compensate.  As hard as the PPME was for me to complete, and I mean that in the sincerest way, it will not ever trump a strong Leader's ethic and performance who always takes care of his or her Sailors, Division, & Command.  PPME enhances said Leader's attributes greater and propels them closer towards being selected.

My 2 cents.

Question for you then: I have sustained superior performance but, I lack sea duty as a yeoman. Do you think me completing the PPME and JPME will give me a better chance at getting selected?

Guest Msduval2u

Weelll Msduval2u,

I will buy you that foo foo coffee from Starbucks  :bigemo_harabe_net-08:  you like that I cannot remember the name but…

All things being equal, ‘Sustained Superior Performance’ can trump other items on the checklist. Your YNC may have got the wrong picture.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong or if you want to add to, or delete because these are my words and not from the Nav.

Sustained Superior Performance

Superior Performance

A Sailor who’s performance is above his peers in all areas including professional, technical and off duty. This is the person who comes to work looks sharp uniform wise and is the person Chiefs and Officers come to for a straight answer or legitimate solution. Is a factor to your department’s mission success. (What is the mission of your department? Do you know? Come on don’t be shy, tell me…  :D ) Also if you are not trusted. Do officers or chiefs go to someone else beside yourself?

Sustained

Very important. The Sailor’s exemplary Performance has not gone down and is not unpredictable. Something such as a DUI, PRT failure or a bad hair day at your command that hits the “reset button” with your superiors. This person is predictably above par. (Was there a mission failure of which you contributed to?)

Generalized question to no one specifically.. .  :sxmas_100-138:

That is the holy grail that many have missed from what I have observed over many years on this forum IMO.

:graphics-3d-smileys-082254:

French vanilla iced latte. .. Two pumps of sugar please :)

So how is sustained superior performance, documented?

Is it by having straight EPs? which rarely happens.

Is it by trait averages?

Continuous passing and being board eligible all the time.

It just seems every one have their own definition.....

And I was going to mention something about that in my last post but decided not to but here goes..

Superior Performance, Well Documented  (posted in the career section of this forum by the way)

The latest buzz word about Sustained Superior Performance is documentation. Not just evals but correcting your records, getting awards etc...

Guest HM8404

Just my two cents on if they matter....... last year a group of FCPO at my command did the NKO PME and the SEJPME a few didn't. The people with the "S" was the group that didn't do it. Like a lot of people have already said, a few courses like those doesn't promise you anything, just like the #1 EP or the SSOY.   All of those HELP, sure..... but cant overcome mediocre performance or badly written evals.

Guest Blondie
I'm also a strong believer the board will see last minute certificates with dates after the board list came out and not even factor those in. 

I'm not sure I agree.  The precepts say nothing about completion dates on materials submitted for review to the board having any weight, and furthermore there is even a process in place to send things to the board that you weren't able to get into your record in time.  

Do you think they would fault people for not completing their degrees until right before the board as well?

Guest HM8404

I don't think that completion dates matter. #1, all board members were once FCPOs and know some Sailors find out about stuff like this last minute, or have jobs at their command where they can not complete them in a month or so. #2 think about all the FCPOs that have transfered from a command after november and have transfer evals and EOT awards that they want to include in their package.

Last year was my first year up and I was all worried about a package, completing qualifications, and things that would make me "stand out". Here is what I have learned since then #1. Your package is just that your package, you can submit nothing or 20 pages or more, its yours. I dont feel that you WONT get selected because you have submitted too much or too litte, hell i know a HMC (7 years, fast for HMs) that submitted 15 documents in his package, "S" first time up for HMC and HMCS.

#2. Review your record periodically throughout the year so when its "board season" you arent trying to get stuff into your record that we know wont make it.

#3 Once you make board, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Everyone that has posted and shared information so far is spot on, and alot of good information is getting passed. But none of us will sit the board. I would love to hear that everyone that has chimmed in so far on this forum gets the "S", but the awesome part of the whole process is if you dont, the only people thatll know why are the people that sit the board.

Just remember the hard part is over!

Guest Mustang6235

Fellow PO1's, I have a quick question for ya.  First off, congrats to all the SBE's and best of luck to each one of you.

Im coming over from the reserve side of the house. Posting here since there is more traffic on this thread.  Made board again, but most of us finally got to view profile sheets for the first time this weekend. Some rates had the final multiple of 112 or so and other rates (MM,LS,BM to name a few) have a 20. It seems strange to have a 20, as all you have to do is pass the test. Any of you have any experience with this or why it would be like that?

Guest Msduval2u

When you say that you lack sea duty as a YN...do you mean that you have never done sea duty? Or do you mean that you cross-rated and since becoming a YN you havent done a sea duty?

Those 2 scenarios paint very different pictures.

I mean I cross rated to YN. Prior SM. No sea duty as a YN

Guest Msduval2u

Having them done gives you a better chance to get selected than if you didnt have them done. Sea duty isnt a requirement per the precepts. The board will look at your record and base their decision on that. Are you excelling at a challenging assignment? Are you leading your juniors and your peers? Really its the "what have you done for me lately?" game when it comes to the board. And most of all, is there documentation in your eval to substantiate all of the leading you're doing. That's what punches the ticket.

I personally look at JPME and PPME as steak sauce for a well seasoned steak. Can it make it taste better? Sure, but without the seasoning its just a piece of meat. Leadership and SSP is the seasoning for that steak.

Yeah, I just made a food analogy. :graphics-3d-smileys-741483:

Like the analogy. I was acting LCPO at my last command. Lead Sailors and Airmen. Advancement and SOQ/JSOQ as well

Guest itdominance

Blondie, I think you are a little confused on where I was going with this, this is my personal belief...FYI I am only a 15 Year FCPO with ZERO board experience, so please take what a say with a grain of "SALT". However, I truely believe in my heart last minute is never a good thing.

all the blue jacket and jsoq boards I have sat on it didn't matter what the date said as long as it was within the applicable period. I don't graduate with my bachelor of science till July 25th but I start working on my masters August 15th. I hope that isn't held against me.

Guest Blondie

What does everyone think about sending in PIMs to the board?  The one I received on my last deployment goes more in-depth than the periodic eval I received from my parent command afterwards.

My Senior Chief told me this today...

"LS1, you know the board mainly focuses on your last 3 years worth of evals, the other two years of the "five-years" are usually used just for tie-breaker situations"...

This got my wheels turning, so what do you all think?

Also, I'm still confused what 5 years he referring to...

5 years prior to 23 June 2014 (Board convene date)

or Nov 2009-Nov 2013???

Any prior board members advice?

My CMC, who has sat multiple boards, told me it's 5 years from the board convene date.

Guest Blondie

My CMC, who has sat multiple boards, told me it's 5 years from the board convene date.

So would they see my Nov 08 to Nov 09 eval?  June 2009 would be five years from the board's convene date, and that falls squarely in the middle of that eval.