FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest FTS(PS)

I don't think it is that serious, it is useful to help track the documents you submit.

I think it depends on the rate.  It is expected that admin rates would not only have no errors in their package, but that their OMPF be squared away as well.  The thing is that nowadays with competition being as strong as it is and everyone having education, warfare, MOVSM, etc....one never knows what they may have to use as a tie breaker.  There are a lot of things about the board that are left for us to guess and take shots in the dark on, but when they provide a sample LTB on the NPC website, I don't think it wise to deviate from it.  When I was in Djibouti we were told by a Senior and Master Chief during CPO 365 that when they sat the board they saw packages where the letter contained errors or wasn't in the right format and that those records didn't make the cut because they figured if a member couldn't follow instructions that simple that they didn't deserve to wear anchors.  It just seems that we all spend so much time toiling over what to include in our LTBs....why then go and half do the cover letter?

Guest FTS(PS)

Yeah, I also noticed this right when SBE results came out on the NPC site, so I changed my letter which I had saved from last year. I also didnt even bother to look. At that point I think thats only style points for having it right.

Not that I'm saying having your cover letter done right isnt important (because I definitely made sure mine was), but from gouge I've heard numerous places is that no one actually sitting your board or a recorder will actually see it, it's tossed by the admin guys that received the packages once they scanned it in.

The cover letter is absolutely seen by the board.  Say for instance a member submits a cover letter with a short statement about a negative page 13 in his or her record that was placed in erroneously and belongs to someone else with the same name....if the letter is shredded before the board convenes, how will the board ever know to disregard that negative page 13?  The board sees everything that you submit.

Guest MA02

My package was downloaded today. Who is still waiting and for what reasons i.e. awards, evals, quals?

Still waiting, hoping to get my award for SOQ. I'm giving it until the 25th then I'm sending in what I have (JPME and USMAPS). I will send in a second LTB if I happened to get the award back after the 25th.

Guest ITCSDPW

How do y'all feel about sending your 1070/881 page 4 from nsips. It's not in my ompf and only gets updated when you reenlist and if I send that it has my PPME on there so do I need to send cert?

When I was up for Chief. I printed my 1070/881 had it stamped by admin and mailed it to NPC myself. It was added to my OMPF before the board convened. Not sure if they would still accept it like that but if there is something on there you think the board needs to see then submit it.

General question for the audience. It's been a while, but I am about to transition back to sea duty and am wondering if sea duty screenings need to be completed prior to receiving hard copy orders or conducted once the service member receives their hard copies. I want to say it is after you receive hard copies. Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Sea Duty Screenings are performed after you receive hard copy orders.

Guest MA02

Your command gives awards for SOQs? It's crazy that's it's no standard across the board on awards. For example, I have 5 NAMs in 11 yrs of service, which is a decent number and two of which I received from recruiting which was straight production awards. One of my sailors that just transferred had 8 NAMs. That person had only been at this command with about 7 yrs in. My Chief doesn't believe that LPOs should get awards. I had to out myself in for a MOVSM or else I wouldn't have gotten that either.

They do a FLOC for SOQ, NAM for SOY. More just hoping to get it for the write up which has my new department LPO title in it with some pretty good numbers as far as people led. The SOQ thing I'm just hoping for as more of a bonus, fairly decent summary group here so it should stand out a bit, atleast I hope.

Guest Fletch

How does one print a 1070/880 or /881?  Is it as tedious as going to NSIPS, opening up each page and generating the individual reports, or is there a bot function that reproduces all the pertinent information in one form?

How does one print a 1070/880 or /881?  Is it as tedious as going to NSIPS, opening up each page and generating the individual reports, or is there a bot function that reproduces all the pertinent information in one form?

Go into NSIPS and click on the "Training and Qualification" then at the bottom of that page click "Training and Qualification History" or something along those lines. Then go down to the report manager (The place u go to print out stuff from NSIPS) and wait for it to be updated. 

To the person that said a Senior Chief told them that some people didn't get selected due to not having the proper "format" for their LTB. I honestly find that hard to believe. How many E-7 and above do we see to this day that can't get their paperwork together?? Most of the Master Chiefs could honestly give a darn about a LTB as long as you record shows you have sustained superior performance you should still be good.

They do a FLOC for SOQ, NAM for SOY. More just hoping to get it for the write up which has my new department LPO title in it with some pretty good numbers as far as people led. The SOQ thing I'm just hoping for as more of a bonus, fairly decent summary group here so it should stand out a bit, atleast I hope.

Depending on the command...some get Navy & Marine Corps Comms for SOY.  I know because I got one. 

When I was up for Chief. I printed my 1070/881 had it stamped by admin and mailed it to NPC myself. It was added to my OMPF before the board convened. Not sure if they would still accept it like that but if there is something on there you think the board needs to see then submit it.

Now the 1070/881s can be uploaded via E-submission thru your PSD.  It still can take a while if you have a slow PSD.  I actually think the old way of mailing it in was faster. 

Guest Fletch

Basically I have a YNCS offering to look at my OMPF before I submit a package, but she asked me to bring a "printout" of my NSIPS.  Before I start guessing about which pages that means (or sheepishly have to ask what she means), I wondered if there was a standard printout she'd be expecting.

Guest Msduval2u

is it end of July yet?

We need to get this ball rolling. My last shot and I'm ready to see what happens

In order to liven up the discussion while we wait, what is the first thing you will do when you get selected? For those out there that are already members of the brother/sisterhood what did you do? What were the emotions like?

Guest Goalfocused

Question for OS ASTAC's- are you submitting your level 3/4 designation letters? Yes ASTAC is all over my evals and OMPF but my current level designation letters is unknown. Just wanted to know what you guys were doing. Thanks!

Guest AZ4LIFE

I am waiting on my FLOC for SOQ as well. 

Guest NavySquid79

I am also waiting on my FLOC for SSOQ. I am starting to think I should just send what I have now and that FLOC later.

Guest Blondie

When I check my continuity report on BOL it says there are no advancement selection boards for me.  Is that what it's supposed to say?

Guest MA02

I am also waiting on my FLOC for SSOQ. I am starting to think I should just send what I have now and that FLOC later.

I'm thinking I probably won't get mine back before the LTB due date. I'm really wanting my Command to pull the FLOC and just give me a LOC, I'm more concerned about the board seeing the write up than the SOQ.

Guest AZ4LIFE

Yeah I am waiting until beginning of next week.  The CMC told me that if we don't have it by then the Skipper will sign a letter for me stating that I have been selected for SSOQ. 

Guest AZ4LIFE

I'm thinking I probably won't get mine back before the LTB due date. I'm really wanting my Command to pull the FLOC and just give me a LOC, I'm more concerned about the board seeing the write up than the SOQ.

See if they'll do a memo style letter just for board purposes......

Guest maka

When I check my continuity report on BOL it says there are no advancement selection boards for me.  Is that what it's supposed to say?

Hello,

I was told that 30 days before the board convenes that will change. So, around May 23, 2014, we can then check BOL continuity report for verification of Selection board eligibility.