FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest TM1(SS) 755

I knew a guy that picked it up on transfer leave and instead of being their TM1 he became their 3MC.

New question, anyone know of individuals who were selected to Chief, under PCS orders and actually keep them? Heard different ends of the spectrum...once you execute your orders (hard copies, etc), you can essentially be re-directed to another command within the same geo-region (i.e., instead of going to USS "A" ship in Norfolk, you go to USS "B" ship in Norfolk), that's if your current ship doesn't have an LCPO billet for your rate opening up shortly after your report NLT date.

What has everyone else heard of experienced?

Thanks!

I will be transferring at the end of july and my detailer told me I would be sent to a CruDes ship if I pick up ISC. headed to the Essex and there is already an ISCS there.

Guest NavySquid79

The career summary letter is a big topic where I'm at. I've talked to several Master Chiefs who speak highly of them, and I have also talked to some that don't recommend them.

I work with some Chiefs that were selected with a summary letter in their LTB (one last cycle), so it defiantly did not hurt them.

The explaination I have received has been pretty standard, that by outlining your career on a one page document that follows the precepts, it eliminates the need for the reviewer to do it, saves them time and gives them a solid briefing template.

I don't really understand the selection process, and this is all just information I have gathered from diffrent people. I have a summary page typed up but I'm still on the fence about it.

Guest Blondie

The career summary letter is a big topic where I'm at. I've talked to several Master Chiefs who speak highly of them, and I have also talked to some that don't recommend them.

I work with some Chiefs that were selected with a summary letter in their LTB (one last cycle), so it defiantly did not hurt them.

The explaination I have received has been pretty standard, that by outlining your career on a one page document that follows the precepts, it eliminates the need for the reviewer to do it, saves them time and gives them a solid briefing template.

I don't really understand the selection process, and this is all just information I have gathered from diffrent people. I have a summary page typed up but I'm still on the fence about it.

My primary problem with the career summary letter is that a resource from a navy.mil website specifically recommends against using them.  I can't comment on how it may or may not have worked in the past, all I know is that right now big Navy's official stance is they aren't recommended.

if you haven't read the All Hands article on navy.mil, take a few minutes and do so. I'm sure you've looked at the NPC slides as well but click through them again. The Navy has come a long way in terms of explaining the process and giving you tools to succeed. If you have detailed questions, please feel free to PM a Chief on here. We're here to help!

We have the AH "Are you up for Chief" link in this category (Chief Selection Board, E-7 through E-9) if that is what you are talking about - good read.

Guest FCC_Thawk

On your cover letter of the second package did you add any extra verbage stating this additional encl?

I didn't put any extra verbiage on it.  I just submitted an entirely new package with one enclosure, not making any mention of the other package I submitted.

Guest itdominance

I am officially DIW and out of the running. Good luck everyone. Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Guest Blondie

Do you have a link to that navy.mil resource?  BBb)

It's been posted here a few times previously, but I can't seem to find it.  I know it was from NPC's selection board information page.  This **might** be it, but since I am on an older mac I can't actually view the powerpoint to confirm

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Documents/ENL%20ADVANCEMENT%20BOARD%20BRIEF%20FOR%20PERS-803%20WEBPAGE%20(March%202014).pptx

Guest MA02

I would only send the one in, but it is up to you.  I dont think the USMAP certs will make or break you...I have never completed one (although they are suppose to be looked at favorably)  chances are you are probably already maxed out in quals/cert anyways.

Good to go, thanks for the feedback Senior.

It's been posted here a few times previously, but I can't seem to find it.  I know it was from NPC's selection board information page.  This **might** be it, but since I am on an older mac I can't actually view the powerpoint to confirm

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Documents/ENL%20ADVANCEMENT%20BOARD%20BRIEF%20FOR%20PERS-803%20WEBPAGE%20(March%202014).pptx

Alrighty then  thanks Blondie, as a reminder to all, while thinking about it, in the "Chief's Board", "Enlisted Records" and other sections in this forum there are updated and related posts for the picking.  :graphics-3d-smileys-283022:  

Guest Blondie

I know LTB package material is not entered into one's OMPF, however, has anyone know of individuals or have personally experienced documents (awards, evals, etc) make into their OMPF as a result of sole submission to the LTB?

Just trying to keep the gears turning!

Per CNO MSG 282147ZJAN13, the only thing from LTBs that can make it to your OMPF are award citations accurately reflected in NDAWS.

Guest Sleeping Dog

Never mind all, I think I found the answer, and it is a BIG negative.  No documents submitted to the selection board are entered into anyone's OMPF, period.  The procedure for entering evals/Fitreps, and awards into one's OMPF is completely different and through an entirely different PERS Dept.  Makes perfect sense, if they did, PERS 313 and 32 would be exponentially overwhelmed and I frankly do not see that being practical at all!

Good luck all!

Jenkballs, I'm just trying to clear things up about this, but your post contradicts what others here have already verified as true, not to mention the content of NAVADMIN 016/13 which states:

3.  AWARD CITATIONS RECEIVED BY NPC FROM SOURCES OTHER THAN NDAWS AUTHORITIES

WILL BE ENTERED INTO A SAILORS' OMPF IF THE AWARD IS ACCURATELY REFLECTED IN

NDAWS, INCLUDING PERSONAL AWARDS (NA AND HIGHER) THAT ARE RECEIVED BY NPC AS

PART OF A SELECTION BOARD PACKAGE.  SAILORS MAILING AWARD

CERTIFICATES/CITATIONS MUST CHECK NDAWS PRIOR TO SUBMISSION. IF THE AWARD DOES

NOT REFLECT IN NDAWS, IT WILL NOT BE PLACED INTO THE OMPF.

Now, I undertand there are caveats such as NAM and higher,  and the award must already reflect in NDAWS, but if these criteria are met then awards submitted as part of a selection board package are, indeed, added to OMPF.  I do understand the confusion based on the situation and so much info flying around, but the bottom line is awards submitted with a selection board package can be added to OMPF.

Also, there is no mention of adding evals or fitreps, only awards.

If anyone has more recent info than this, please share. I hope this helps everyone, and good luck.

Guest Sleeping Dog

OK, then my question is 3 fold;

1) Do they enter the award AFTER the selection board adjourns/secured, meaning August?

2) How do they know if the service member's command hasn't already submitted the award for insertion into their OMPF?

3)  What if the award is ALREADY on the service member's OMPF and the SBE members just wants to ensure the board sees the write up, in other words, wouldn't it end up being a duplicate on everyone's OMPF if they blindly automatically uploaded every SBE member's NAM and above?...sounds kind of silly if they do.

Food for thought, and if anyone else has any insight who has had this happen, please share in detail how it happened.

Thanks!

All are good questions. Best answers will likely come from some of the Sailors that have experienced it for themselves. I submitted two awards this year that I know will not be in my OMPF, but I also know they aren't in NDAWS either. However, I made sure in my LTB that I explained that they were recent awards that may not reflect in my OMPF when the board convenes. This way if they are found to be duplicates, the board should know to discard them and not submit for addition to my OMPF.

My guess for your 2nd question is that they don't know if the award has already been submitted by the unit. That's why I made specific mention of my awards status in my LTB.  The same can be said for your 3rd question.The best I can tell, that is the only way to provide at least a background regarding the award to the board. I do agree with you that the system may cause more problems than it's worth, but nonetheless if awards are submitted with a selection board package they do have the likelihood of being added to OMPF, whether they are duplicates or not. Another thing to consider, it could be that if an award is submitted to OMPF by the selection board it is sent with specific instruction to verify the award hasn't already been submitted by the command or individual. Or, maybe not.

Nate_theFC previously said he had awards submitted to his OMPF by the board.    

Nate, what are your observations?

Guest KJAN0105

I submitted my package via email on 27May. I was so caught up on submitting my package on time and ensuring that I had all the correct enclosures. As a result, I forgot to sign my cover letter. (I feel like a total DB for failing on the most important detail.) Please Help! Any suggestions on what I should do? Or are my chances pretty much OVER!

Guest FTS(PS)

I just find it hard to believe that they dont see it.  What if someone submits a cover letter with statements?  I would prefer that they did see it just in case one of my enclosures was left on the printer.  They could identify that my package is one enclosure short and maybe have someone check on it.... That second part was just wishful thinking..lol

Guest MA02

Then what about letters with statements on them? How do the see those statements if they toss the letter.

Everything you send in is reviewed, including your "LTB" (the cover sheet is the LTB, everything under it are just enclosures). As you said, the LTB may have statements the personnel reviewing your package need to see, like the example on NPC which talks about NJP records from another member. We recently had a package review by our FLTCM and 5 other Board veteran MC's who were with the FLTCM, the cover letter was looked at just like everything else and areas of improvement or suggested changes were discussed, I don't think they would of taken the time to give us suggestions on our LTB's if they were just going to be tossed out.

Guest MA02

I have always been told that if you have to submit a statement about something on your LTB, then you better attach some type of documentation regarding it as an enclosure. Which makes sense to me. Anybody can say "That captains mast or negative pg13 in my record wasnt me" in a LTB, but what have you done to fix it? Have you sent any official correspondence regarding it? Again, it is maintaining your record, your career and etc. We've all submitting things such as PPME, JPME, Designation letters and etc as enclosures as proof of completion of those things, why do the rules supposedly change for discrepancies in your record? So it makes perfect sense to me that your LTB cover sheet once all the info is scanned in is tossed.

Edit for clarification: So, am I saying your cover letter isnt important? No. However, there seems to be this myth that if your cover letter is perfect you'll get picked up, or it'll hurt you if your spacing isnt right and etc. Do the formatting, make sure your enclosures are there and hit send. But, the things that matter, your OMPF, evals, quals, documentation and etc is what matters, not some letter that you generate yourself. Remember, you can put almost anything you want on your cover letter and the only person that has to verify it is you....kind of like a summary letter. The real verification of that data you talk about on your cover letter is with the enclosures. Like a NAM signed by your CO, or a PG13 signed by your personnel officer, a designation letter signed by the proper authority and etc.

I agree partially with what you said, it does need to be stated about what your are doing to fix any issues. But, say your statement in the LTB is concerning a duplicate award in your OMPF, your official correspondence concerning this is going to be an email to pers, stating the field code, document ID number of the page which needs removed and the reason for removal, in this case a duplicate award. That is it, there is no response email, you send it off, wait your 30 days and check your OMPF for the correction. What would you send in with your LTB to document you are taking care of this? There isn't anything, sending a copy of a one way email to pers is not official correspondence.

This is where the LTB comes into play, and the reason it isn't thrown out. Your statement on the LTB shows the board member reviewing your package that you are aware of the discrepancy and this is where you would make your case as to "upon review of my record, I have verified via "My OMPF" that xxx is a duplicate entry, I have contacted PERS 313(I think that is the one) concerning the issue. As of the time of submission, this duplicate entry has not been removed" or however you wish to word it.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to thinking the LTB is make or break, I don't believe it is either. But, attention to detail stands out in all things, it's human nature to spend a little extra with someone putting in the little extra. On the flip side to that coin, if you look at two Chiefs in your commands who picked up last cycle, I will bet their LTB's have something different about the formatting... Yet they still got the "S" in Aug last year.

Guest KJAN0105

I just keep beating myself up over the fact that I didn't sign my cover letter...I am also afraid that my package will not be considered for review because of it...I guess all I can do is try again next year.