FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest itdominance

I went to Captain's Mast back in July of 2010 (drunk and disorderly and assault) and have spent a great deal of time having my record reviewed by folks that have sat the board.  Nov of 2010, my first eval at the command and after the Captain's Mast, I received a 3.00 P, Nov 2011 same reporting senior that sent me to Captains Mast gave me a #6 out of 45 EP, Transfer EP in July of 2012 as acting LCPO, welcome aboard promotable NOV 12 and most recently #11 out of 100ish EP.  I am also a DAPA here at my command with a des letter that was sent in with my package.  So you would think all that would be enough right?  Maybe.  The overwhelming feedback that I have gotten back is, it depends on the people and the numbers.  That's it.  You might have a group of 8 crusty old Master Chiefs that look at your record and say you over came it, or you might have a group that thinks you haven't.  I've been told that I will make it into the crunch zone but from there, it's all about the confidence factor those MC give you based on how your record is briefed.  In cases like ours, where you have a detractor, it comes down to the human factor.  The precept tells them to consider those with adverse information if they have bounced back, but you still have to consider the adverse information within the last 5 years.  It all comes down to how they feel about it.  I know you don't have much time left, but just take these next couple years and keep working hard.  This could be your year, or maybe next year.  You just never know how the board is going to feel about something.  They set their own grading criteria based on the current precept.

I am in similiar situation. I went to Mast in April 2010 for Adultery/Wrongful Cohabitation. I was reduced in rank to e5 and kept all pay. I appealed the decision and was sent TAD for 2 months pending appeal. After submitting my appeal the OPS DH told me I would be reduced in rank to e4 and processed out in a few weeks. I won my appeal and put e6 back in july 2010. I was even still board eligible for Chief. The CO gave me a 2.71 P transfer eval. The CMC was relieved of duty after an IG inspection for my case and an E-7's female that was similiar. I have been trying to get rid of the transfer eval but got a final letter from BCR 2 weeks ago that says it will stay. Bupers even marked the report invalid due to dates and PRM remarks. I have sent in a statement 3 times to bupers detailing the performance marks and that statement is still not in my ompf. This year is the first time since 2010 that I made board due to that eval. I got to my next command in August 2010. Once there I got a P eval, then another P due to being on watch rotation at a NCTS. Once I became a day worker I was able to break out in 2012. I was Dapa (got 5.0 in leadership on evals), CFS, CACO, IDW SME, WCS, EKMS Primary Custodian. I am hoping the board can see through the eval but I think I am DWI at this point in my career.

I am in similiar situation. I went to Mast in April 2010 for Adultery/Wrongful Cohabitation. I was reduced in rank to e5 and kept all pay. I appealed the decision and was sent TAD for 2 months pending appeal. After submitting my appeal the OPS DH told me I would be reduced in rank to e4 and processed out in a few weeks. I won my appeal and put e6 back in july 2010. I was even still board eligible for Chief. The CO gave me a 2.71 P transfer eval. The CMC was relieved of duty after an IG inspection for my case and an E-7's female that was similiar. I have been trying to get rid of the transfer eval but got a final letter from BCR 2 weeks ago that says it will stay. Bupers even marked the report invalid due to dates and PRM remarks. I have sent in a statement 3 times to bupers detailing the performance marks and that statement is still not in my ompf. This year is the first time since 2010 that I made board due to that eval. I got to my next command in August 2010. Once there I got a P eval, then another P due to being on watch rotation at a NCTS. Once I became a day worker I was able to break out in 2012. I was Dapa (got 5.0 in leadership on evals), CFS, CACO, IDW SME, WCS, EKMS Primary Custodian. I am hoping the board can see through the eval but I think I am DWI at this point in my career.

Thank you for sharing...  BBb)

Guest amcreed

That's pretty nuts.  Sounds like you have been fighting an up hill battle.  Glad to see you are breaking out though.  The way that I see it, for most of us here, it is a matter of when rather than if.  I have done back to back to back sea duties now.  I have divisional and departmental LPO and acting LCPO at sea under my belt.  Really not much more I, you or folks like us can do IMHO.

Guest itdominance

Are you at NSWC Crane? I love that place. We get so much help from the civilians over there.

Yep. NSWC Crane Indiana. Amish country middle of noweresville. From Jacksonville FL to here. Not many of us active duty out here. Whats your rate?

Guest amcreed

Yep. NSWC Crane Indiana. Amish country middle of noweresville. From Jacksonville FL to here. Not many of us active duty out here. Whats your rate?

I served with a GMCS that made GMCM right before getting stationed up there.  Good people.

Guest itdominance

I served with a GMCS that made GMCM right before getting stationed up there.  Good people.

His last name start with a G? Our GMCS got pcs'd out due to making e-9 and is in Virigina.

Guest itdominance

That'd be the one!

Yep real good guy. He was the one to convince me not to give up on making Chief after seeing that eval at my initial CDB. Only worked with him a few months. Gave him alot if flack about the Louisville Cardinals football team.

Guest amcreed

Yep real good guy. He was the one to convince me not to give up on making Chief after seeing that eval at my initial CDB. Only worked with him a few months. Gave him alot if flack about the Louisville Cardinals football team.

And he is all about Louisville everything....Small Navy.  You would have enjoyed working with him longer.  No doubt.

Guest amcreed

The board is going to look at your collaterals and wonder how you have time to take care of your Sailors and maintenance as the LPO....all one needs is one collateral, do it well, and document what you've done with that duty on your eval. Share the wealth with your fellow FCPO's, especially if you are the primary for all these collaterals.

That doesn't always work when your Chain of Command dumps stuff on you.  You don't want to overload on collaterals, but sometimes you don't have the choice of what you get.  You just become it.  That’s happened to me more than once.  Success in the Navy is rewarded with more work and the possibility of selection for increased pay.  The more work is the only guarantee..... 

Guest amcreed

Hello everyone.  I have been an avid follower of this site for the past 5 years and I have definitely taken some of the wisdom given off of the site.  Thank you.

This is my third time up for board and hopefully  as we all who are eligible for promotion am hoping to get selected.  However, I have a couple of questions:

- I recieved an NMCCM and saw that it was uploaded into my NDAWS.  How long does it take to show up in my OMPF.  I submitted for inclusion on 28 May 2014. Suprised it showed up so quickly.  

-I submitted two LTB.  One with my cover letter, career summary and the citation as I wanted the board to see this. Additionally, I submitted my transfer eval becasue it had some heavy Sailorization that I wanted considered. On my second LTB, I left the same verbage of request for consideration.....however in my Enclosures, I only had one enclosure but numbered it as 3.  

Any advice on the above?  Thanks so much.  Wish you all luck this year!

I was asking if the cover letters are scanned in/saved with the package and I was told that they are not viewed.  They shouldn't notice the enclosure numbering I wouldn't think.  That's really getting into the weeds.

Guest amcreed

I went to Mast 30 June 2009 still wondering if it will be within the 5 years'.

Since 2009, I have these evals:

Nov 2009 "P" (Frocked EVAL Documenting Mast)

Nov 2010 "MP"

SEP 2011 "Transfer EP"

Nov 2012 "MP"

Nov 2013 "EP"

I have been told the cutoff is usually the day the board convenes, but who knows.  I know people that have made it with adverse information in their records.  You just have to bounce back from it.  I have spoken with board members that have selected folks with adverse information in their records.  It just comes down to numbers and if those individuals that are sitting the board feel you have performed better than others in your rating.  It truly is a flip of the coin, but those of us that have adverse information do at least get our “feedback”.  The times that I didn’t make it, I knew it was because of that.  Most folks have no idea why they weren’t selected.  Gotta look on the bright side of things!

Guest amcreed

amcreed, totally understand. Good luck!

You too.  Hopefully we all get that "S" this year.  The amount of information that is put out on this forum is awesome and we all want each other to advance.  Great place to come!

Guest FT1SS

I went to Mast 30 June 2009 still wondering if it will be within the 5 years'.

Since 2009, I have these evals:

Nov 2009 "P" (Frocked EVAL Documenting Mast)

Nov 2010 "MP"

SEP 2011 "Transfer EP"

Nov 2012 "MP"

Nov 2013 "EP"

I'm in a similar situation. NJP on 09 Aug 2009. I've been told the board sees EVERYTHING. If you had an NJP fifteen years ago, they'll see it. It's just whether or not they consider it. 

Evals since:

Oct 2009: P (xfer eval with NJP documented)

Nov 2010: MP

Nov 2011: MP

Nov 2012: EP #5 of 32

Nov 2013: EP #2 of 28

Guest HM8404

One of my mentors went to MAST as a PO1 for hazing. Three years later he gets selected. After that Mast eval, he had a P and the rest EPs. So it is definatley possible. He said what helped him is picking commands that have alot of PO1s. Basically he put it like this.

Alot of people pick small commands where they may be the only or one of five PO1s. Thats good if you can get the EP but what does that EP really mean. The people who advance are the PO1s that have awesome eval write ups in large summary groups and are at the top of it. He swears that being #1 of 40 got him selected even after the NJP. Bottom line. The ones with the N will never tuley know. This is the best time of the year in the Navy. Once your package is submitted you just sit back and wait.

AUG 4th!

Guest itdominance

The board is going to look at your collaterals and wonder how you have time to take care of your Sailors and maintenance as the LPO....all one needs is one collateral, do it well, and document what you've done with that duty on your eval. Share the wealth with your fellow FCPO's, especially if you are the primary for all these collaterals.

There are only 2 of us e-6's here. My command is only 9 people. Basewide about 40 military and 5000 civilians.

Guest amcreed

I'm in a similar situation. NJP on 09 Aug 2009. I've been told the board sees EVERYTHING. If you had an NJP fifteen years ago, they'll see it. It's just whether or not they consider it. 

Evals since:

Oct 2009: P (xfer eval with NJP documented)

Nov 2010: MP

Nov 2011: MP

Nov 2012: EP #5 of 32

Nov 2013: EP #2 of 28

True, they do see everything in your record, but they only have to brief NJPs back 5 years.  They are only going to look back further if they need to for whatever reason.  I know some E9 boards where they have looked back to what the Sailor did all the way to E5.

Guest PSjg78

I have been told the cutoff is usually the day the board convenes, but who knows.  I know people that have made it with adverse information in their records.  You just have to bounce back from it.  I have spoken with board members that have selected folks with adverse information in their records.  It just comes down to numbers and if those individuals that are sitting the board feel you have performed better than others in your rating.  It truly is a flip of the coin, but those of us that have adverse information do at least get our “feedback”.  The times that I didn’t make it, I knew it was because of that.  Most folks have no idea why they weren’t selected.  Gotta look on the bright side of things!

Couldnt agree more!!!!!  All I hear is that I have hit it all the check marks, now with this COMM leaving my last command hopefully that is it.... I got all check marks in but if I dont get selected I will never know why...... thats the part that SUCKs.. lol... not knowing what else you could do or what they are looking for when everyone else is saying you have done it all..

Hello everyone.  I have been an avid follower of this site for the past 5 years and I have definitely taken some of the wisdom given off of the site.  Thank you.

This is my third time up for board and hopefully  as we all who are eligible for promotion am hoping to get selected.  However, I have a couple of questions:

- I recieved an NMCCM and saw that it was uploaded into my NDAWS.  How long does it take to show up in my OMPF.  I submitted for inclusion on 28 May 2014. Suprised it showed up so quickly.  

-I submitted two LTB.  One with my cover letter, career summary and the citation as I wanted the board to see this. Additionally, I submitted my transfer eval becasue it had some heavy Sailorization that I wanted considered. On my second LTB, I left the same verbage of request for consideration.....however in my Enclosures, I only had one enclosure but numbered it as 3.  

Any advice on the above?  Thanks so much.  Wish you all luck this year!

I was in the same boat as you are with the Navy Com.  I actually included it in my package and low and behold after I emailed it off the award popped up in my OMPF.  Better safe than sorry.  I was told that it'll pop up in NDAWS and then give it about 3-4 weeks for it to show up in the OMPF.  I'm sure they will understand and not be frustrated by duplicate info since the award date is April 30 2014 and they know that it takes a while for it to show up. 

Guest amcreed

Couldnt agree more!!!!!  All I hear is that I have hit it all the check marks, now with this COMM leaving my last command hopefully that is it.... I got all check marks in but if I dont get selected I will never know why...... thats the part that SUCKs.. lol... not knowing what else you could do or what they are looking for when everyone else is saying you have done it all..

Fingers crossed it is your year!  Quotas aren't that far away for the AD side of things.  I would be willing to bet money that one of our Master Chiefs is going to sit the board this year.  I have a few brothers and sisters out there that I am really hoping to see on the list this year.  They are either just as, or more deserving than myself.  I'm thinking my rate, CTR, should stay on par quota wise, but that is just a guess.  The higher the better!

Guest PSjg78

Has anyone heard how much EPME/PPME/JPME is being considered? I know it was listed on the precept letter.

DOnt think we would ever know how much anything is worth, each board is different and the OATH they take will keep those worths to just the board.  If its in the precept in which it is, then just know those are points and thats what matters ... Thats why its important for each of us to make sure we are hitting everything and going above and beyond not just staying complacent with just the bare minimum....

Guest Msduval2u

so, i was reading the precept and got down to the section regarding Naval Special Warfare Command.  so, my question is, will the board be able to see that i am assigned to SPECWAR? and for those that have sat the board, do you think it will help? i just reported to this command in December so, there are no evals to document where i am.  the one thing i do have is a MOVSM.

Guest amcreed

so, i was reading the precept and got down to the section regarding Naval Special Warfare Command.  so, my question is, will the board be able to see that i am assigned to SPECWAR? and for those that have sat the board, do you think it will help?

They are able to look at your PSR which part one lists last two commands, current command, and a perspective command if you have one.  I have orders to go push boots, and even though I don’t have a separation eval or have even reported to that command, they are going to know that is where I am heading to.  They will know the command you are at.  As far as how much it matters, each board is able to determine their own grading values.  They just all have to use the same grading values that are decided on by the majority.  You will never know how much weight something has.  The only thing you know for sure is sustained superior performance is ranked the highest.  The precept makes that very clear to the board.  The board will review the precept many times while it is in progress.