FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest Msduval2u

They are able to look at your PSR which part one lists last two commands, current command, and a perspective command if you have one.  I have orders to go push boots, and even though I don’t have a separation eval or have even reported to that command, they are going to know that is where I am heading to.  They will know the command you are at.  As far as how much it matters, each board is able to determine their own grading values.  They just all have to use the same grading values that are decided on by the majority.  You will never know how much weight something has.  The only thing you know for sure is sustained superior performance is ranked the highest.  The precept makes that very clear to the board.  The board will review the precept many times while it is in progress. 

well, i have the sustained superior performance on lock.  I also received my MOVSM, completed my JPME, PPME, USMAPS and received a JCOM for my EOT.  I was #2 of 18 for my last eval and received my Security manager NEC so, i have been fairly busy within the past year.  Praying that they all hold enough weight to get me the "S" stamp of approval  ^_^

Guest amcreed

CPO 365 is officially in full gear over here.  We have training and PT every week all year around for the first classes.  After the board eligible results come out, they are mandatory to attend both events every week.  It hasn't been strictly enforced because of our hectic schedule, but being underway and it getting so close.....lots and lots of participation.  It's been pretty good.  Making us learn cadences, long runs, CPO Heritage training, and a whole grip of GMTs.  I think our program is super effective over here.  How is CPO 365 run for you all?

Guest Msduval2u

I was told that that specific blurb is because specop Sailors, and some specop support Sailors will have blank write ups on their evals because they were involved in classified ops... Makes sense, but im not a specop guy and can only speculate that the source was accurate

Well, I'm hoping it will help. Yall please pray for me as I will do the same for everyone anticipating their selection. Best of luck to all.

Guest amcreed

My commands program definitely doesnt run like that. We've had a few training sessions since the SBE results came out and thats about it. :rolleyes:

Get underway! In the offing knoweth ye that hand over fist I will fight hard & fast! So batten down the hatches because between the devil and the deep blue sea I will deliver more than a shot across the bow! (You big dummy) .  Pretty sure that it's supposed to be a little bit more robust than that.  It's also cool because our CMC takes the time every week to put out information about the command, schedule, ect.  Stuff that he puts out to his Mess.  Immediately following training, which only lasts about a half an hour, we move right into our FCM meeting.  The schedule actually works out pretty great and our CMC really does keep us in the loop and listens to what our FCM has to say.  My last command definitely didn't function as smoothly IRT CPO 365 training....it was pretty much exactly how you described!

CPO 365 is officially in full gear over here.  We have training and PT every week all year around for the first classes.  After the board eligible results come out, they are mandatory to attend both events every week.  It hasn't been strictly enforced because of our hectic schedule, but being underway and it getting so close.....lots and lots of participation.  It's been pretty good.  Making us learn cadences, long runs, CPO Heritage training, and a whole grip of GMTs.  I think our program is super effective over here.  How is CPO 365 run for you all?

CPO 365 here runs pretty efficiently.  We do training, PT, and outings.  The great thing is our CMC is always at PT unless he has another obligation but he's always there.  To speaks volume.  Of course all CPOs don't participate but it is what it is.  We just keep moving forward and do what we need to do.

Guest PSjg78

I really wish it was for us, really there are not many involved in it here.  We do training one week and PT the next week, personally my last command had CPO365 down pat, this command not so much.  Im pretty involved because that is just me, but really when you dont really get much CPO participation that speaks volumes to me.  Im glad you guys are rocking it out!!! Im praying to for my selection so maybe I can change the dynamics of our program here. 

Guest amcreed

I really wish it was for us, really there are not many involved in it here.  We do training one week and PT the next week, personally my last command had CPO365 down pat, this command not so much.  Im pretty involved because that is just me, but really when you dont really get much CPO participation that speaks volumes to me.  Im glad you guys are rocking it out!!! Im praying to for my selection so maybe I can change the dynamics of our program here. 

Yeah, you could probably have a lot success with that.  Hoping that you get your name on that list this year!

Guest PSjg78

Yeah, you could probably have a lot success with that.  Hoping that you get your name on that list this year!

Thank you very much!!!!!! Hope to see allot of us on here screaming we all get that big "S" this year!!!!

Guest Blondie

Has anyone heard how much EPME/PPME/JPME is being considered? I know it was listed on the precept letter.

Bottom line for me, if a course is listen by name on the precept, I am going to complete it.  It can only help.

Guest FT1SS

Yesterday my package was finally marked as received. Took about 7-8 working days. It showed 20 pages received but I count only 18 including the cover letter in my package (I had 11 enclosures). Anyone else notice this?

Yesterday my package was finally marked as received. Took about 7-8 working days. It showed 20 pages received but I count only 18 including the cover letter in my package (I had 11 enclosures). Anyone else notice this?

Did you email it? I was told by someone at PERS that the email is also scanned and that is normally two additional pages. 

Guest FT1SS

Did you email it? I was told by someone at PERS that the email is also scanned and that is normally two additional pages. 

Yea, I emailed it. Noticed it last year too. That's what I was wondering.

Guest amcreed

Yea, I emailed it. Noticed it last year too. That's what I was wondering.

I e-mailed mine in and it had 2 additional pages as well.

Guest NukeET1FCFL

Aloha from Hawaii. I saw my board package was updated as received yesterday. Processed on 2 Jun. Thank goodness. I mailed mine in and they had the right number of pages.

This is my fourth time up for AOC the only detractor I am aware of that I have is back in 2009 the first pfa cycle I had a bca failure.  my eval says P/WS on the front and on the back in the write up at the end it has a entry that says  failed cycle one bca but bounced back and worked himself into standards for cycle two.   that eval was a mp out of 365 first classes and my senior chief still got me a MP.  My question is , after that I went on to instructor duty got a p welcome aboard,  next got #1 mp and after that # 1 ep  nation wide 14 learning sites . i had big numbers for students while at instructor duty i was the command cmeo, got my mts, mts board member and two nams,then i moved on to a vp squadron and got the welcome aboard p, Lpo at sea , command rso , asst. command sponsor coord, command has mat certifier, cat team ,    i guess my question is this pfa failure is at the very end of the 5 year mark I heard they only look back 4 years on prims not sure   whats your thoughts on this ?  My first time up didn't make it, second and third my fault missed board, this is number 4 I'm at 12 years hopefully this is my turn!!

Don't know for sure, but I do know a buddy of mine made it as soon as his PRT failure fell out of the 5 year time frame.  Could be coincidence, but he feels that was definitely a factor.

Guest amcreed

Yesterday one of my chiefs had a heart ti heart with me. He broke down my package and said that I had a good not great but good shot of making it. He looked at it and brought up the fact that I had a P checking in my recruiting command then received 2 MP's in a row one of which was above the CO's average. Then saw that I received a Transfer EP then a MP with LPO at sea at my current command. My last eval was another MP this time I was the WSC. The only downfall was I did not put my CAT team in my evals but I did put the designation letter in my package. My chief apologized about how they shorten my evals because there were more thing I wanted to but in but when it came back from the COC they wrote a standard eval even through it was a high MP. He said hopefully they look at my time in recruiting and what I done here.

Going from MP LPO at sea to MP WCS.  Same command right?  Did your trait average do up, down, or stay the same?  Was it the same reporting senior or a different one?  Did you get a soft break out with that high MP?  I'd take a good shot over no shot any day of the week!

Guest amcreed

My trait actually went up above the CO's average

My trait actually went up. I got the MP with 4 months being on board. Then above the co's average as WSC

Summary group average or the CO's cumulative average or both?  Two different averages, but both important and the board sees them both.  It also matters how many reports go into your CO's cumulative average when you receive that eval too.  You want to be above both.  That is why transfer evals aren't just throw away evals.  You want your marks to be at or above the CO's cumulative average.  You can see that in your PSR Part III on BOL.  It breaks it all down.  One of last year's board members broke it all down for me.  He said he always started grading a package there and it would give him a good idea of what he would probably be reading in the block 43.  Pretty interesting stuff actually.

Guest Blondie

Summary group average or the CO's cumulative average or both?  Two different averages, but both important and the board sees them both.  It also matters how many reports go into your CO's cumulative average when you receive that eval too.  You want to be above both.  That is why transfer evals aren't just throw away evals.  You want your marks to be at or above the CO's cumulative average.  You can see that in your PSR Part III on BOL.  It breaks it all down.  One of last year's board members broke it all down for me.  He said he always started grading a package there and it would give him a good idea of what he would probably be reading in the block 43.  Pretty interesting stuff actually.

I don't understand how it's fair to be graded based on the CO's average.  Shouldn't I only be compared to the people I am actually serving beside?

Guest amcreed

I don't understand how it's fair to be graded based on the CO's average.  Shouldn't I only be compared to the people I am actually serving beside?

It's his cumulative average.  Meaning the average of every trait he has given out at that command.  So, some reporting seniors, give overall low marks and keep their cumulative average low.  By low, I mean an average below 4.  If that reporting senior then gives very high marks to an individual, it really is telling the board to promote that person.  Does that make sense?

Guest Blondie

It's his cumulative average.  Meaning the average of every trait he has given out at that command.  So, some reporting seniors, give overall low marks and keep their cumulative average low.  By low, I mean an average below 4.  If that reporting senior then gives very high marks to an individual, it really is telling the board to promote that person.  Does that make sense?

I understand.  What message does it send if I am below the CO's average but above the SGA?  That seems like it would quickly get too confusing to infer anything.  And are you sure the CO's average is only for that command?  When our new CO took over and we got our evals a few months later, he already had hundreds of reports to his name (my command is not that large).

Guest amcreed

I understand.  What message does it send if I am below the CO's average but above the SGA?  That seems like it would quickly get too confusing to infer anything.  And are you sure the CO's average is only for that command?  When our new CO took over and we got our evals a few months later, he already had hundreds of reports to his name (my command is not that large).

I'm actually not sure if it's based off of command or rank, but there is a baseline.  I would say his average is probably above yours because of transfer evals and you being ahead of the SGA is what will matter there.  All I'm saying, is it is another trait average that is looked at.

Guest amcreed

There are 3 averages on your report.

Individual Trait Average your score based off the (1.0 to 5.0) grading scale.

Summary Group Average - the average of all who were rated upon in your summary group. i.e. regular, frocked 

Reporting Senior's Average - this is the average of your reporting senior for all of the Sailors he has evaluated upon in your pay grade in his Naval Career.  NPC keeps stats like that.  As said before,  it distinguishes you on where you stand when coming up for selection boards if you are above the summary/reporting seniors average. It is all numbers to compare you against others to show who is the best of the best or the cream of the crop.

One thing you should note is that some reporting seniors grade high and when it becomes too inflated they have to lower the summary group average to readjust their reporting seniors average.  If this happends it should be noted in the block 43 as to why you/group was ranked below his reporting seniors average, or it can be a detractor.  Navigate your PSR, look at history of traits assigned and this will mesh all of what we are saying together.

When put together - if your individual trait average is higher than the summary, it is implied you are performing above the group of peers you were rated against. 

Cool, so it's based off of paygrade.  And all the numbers do matter for sure.