FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest KJAN0105

I just keep beating myself up over the fact that I didn't sign my cover letter...I am also afraid that my package will not be considered for review because of it...I guess all I can do is try again next year.

Guest MA02

Lets agree to disagree when it comes to LTB. This has come up a few times and I think it is taking away from the main point of this discussion, which is to share information.

Hopefully everyone already sent their letters in so really arguing over what actually gets looked at will be a moot point come 0000 2JUN14. Then we can all throw out guesses on quotas til the board convenes on the 23rd.

What is important is that everyone squared their OMPF so a letter isnt even necessary. I know if I dont pick it up this year, I probably wont need to send a letter at all next year, mainly because I am all over my record now, and even more importantly, sharing that info with your divisions and peers at your commands. Because honestly, it is much easier to fix an entry if you find it when it happens, rather than years down the road when you transferred to a different geographical location and now your advancement depends on it.

And with that, goodnight all!

Agree, and 100% agree about the squared away OMPF being top priority. There is no way a sparkling LTB will make up for a substandard record. Best of luck to you this cycle, hope everyone putting in the effort sees their name on the list!

Quick question when you submit your package did you do 1 PDF of all files or send each PDF separately? About to press send I combined them in order to be one PDF file does this matter

Guest FT1SS

Never mind all, I think I found the answer, and it is a BIG negative.  No documents submitted to the selection board are entered into anyone's OMPF, period.  The procedure for entering evals/Fitreps, and awards into one's OMPF is completely different and through an entirely different PERS Dept.  Makes perfect sense, if they did, PERS 313 and 32 would be exponentially overwhelmed and I frankly do not see that being practical at all!

Good luck all!

I had three awards entered in my OMPF after the board adjourned last year. I didn't even notice until I started prepping this year's package and I saw them in there. IAW the NAVADMIN, if the award is in NDAWS, they will enter it into your OMPF (NAM or higher). The awards were from 2004 - 2006 time frame.

Guest amcreed

I had three awards entered in my OMPF after the board adjourned last year. I didn't even notice until I started prepping this year's package and I saw them in there. IAW the NAVADMIN, if the award is in NDAWS, they will enter it into your OMPF (NAM or higher). The awards were from 2004 - 2006 time frame.

My problem is, I have 5 of my 6 NAMS in my OMPF.  Only 3 are listed in NDAWS.  I have submitted them multiple times and nothing ever changes.  It is really frustrating that I can't get my record in order after I have been trying for years.  So I sent in the one that isn't in my OMPF.  Sat down for a record review with a Master Chief that sat last years board and he said they bounce them off of NDAWS.  He said some board members only care if it is in your OMPF, but others want the awards in both and wont give you credit if they aren't.

Guest TM1(SS) 755

My problem is, I have 5 of my 6 NAMS in my OMPF.  Only 3 are listed in NDAWS.  I have submitted them multiple times and nothing ever changes.  It is really frustrating that I can't get my record in order after I have been trying for years.  So I sent in the one that isn't in my OMPF.  Sat down for a record review with a Master Chief that sat last years board and he said they bounce them off of NDAWS.  He said some board members only care if it is in your OMPF, but others want the awards in both and wont give you credit if they aren't.

I thought they were only able to look at OMPF and PSR?

Guest amcreed

I thought the same thing.  The board doesn't look at NDAWS as far I know.

I thought that as well until I sat down with him about a month ago.  It was new information to me too.  He made me pull up my NDAWS because he said it would be looked at.  He said that it is the only "external" data base that they have access to.

Guest ETC_Marsland

Regardless, if they aren't in, get that LTB sent.  That's the best advice I have.  But directly from PERS, they look at PSR and OMPF, they don't have to look at anything else.

Guest amcreed

Nuff said.

I have read all the NAVADMINS, Selection Board Briefs, ect.  I know NDAWS isn't listed as something that is reviewed, but the Salty Old Master Chief who just sat the board, said that the data is available.  Take it for what it's worth.

Guest shooter mcgavin

Not to derail this discussion but has any of the chiefs here PCS'd during induction/phase2? How was that like? Did you haul butt to the next duty station and forego your leave enroute? Did you get taskers while you are traveling? I would imagine you would want to miss as little as possible is why I ask and of course I PCS this August across country with a family in tow so this is on my mind.

Guest Black Hawk

How long does it take for your package to be downloaded when emailed? I finished CMEO school on the 27th of May and emailed my package the same day and it has not been downloaded yet.

Not to derail this discussion but has any of the chiefs here PCS'd during induction/phase2? How was that like? Did you haul butt to the next duty station and forego your leave enroute? Did you get taskers while you are traveling? I would imagine you would want to miss as little as possible is why I ask and of course I PCS this August across country with a family in tow so this is on my mind.

If possible, you could request an ordmod to stay until after pinning. We've had selects in the past PCS in the middle. It's a tough thing to balance because of your first priority to your family. If, and hopefully WHEN, that happens, your CMC, chair and co-chair will work with you to coordinate with the gaining command. Another thing to consider is if your orders would still be valid upon selection. There's a few variables at play here.

Guest Blondie

If I was PCSing and got the magic "S", I would prefer to go through phase two at my old command.  I would have done the majority of the work that got me selected there, I would have shipmates that I served alongside with for years, and I would prefer showing up to my new command in my new position rather than showing up as a Chief Select.  Just my $0.02

Guest ETC_Marsland

We have a couple Chiefs in my office here that PCS'd during the season, and to gain the most of their experience, both hauled their butts here and didn't take any additional leave than what was necessary.  You only get this experience once.  That being said, I agree with Blondie.  I'd rather go through the full season at my old command like I did, and show up to my new one with anchors on.

I have read all the NAVADMINS, Selection Board Briefs, ect.  I know NDAWS isn't listed as something that is reviewed, but the Salty Old Master Chief who just sat the board, said that the data is available.  Take it for what it's worth.

He has a point.  The difference between FLTMPS and NDAWS is FLTMPS you need a login & super access to view everyone in the Navy but with NDAWS you don't. All you need is a name and SSN.  What's on every page of your package?  Exactly.  It takes less than a minute to verify something in NDAWS if you have that info.

Guest itdominance

I am out in the middle of nowhere Indiana (weapons base). I was told that if by chance I do make it that they would send me TAD due to the fact we only have 9 active duty navy at my command, About 40 active duty with CG, Marines, Army, and Air Force. We got alot of reservists that come in along with SO's and GM's that go to weapons school. Whats really strange is that my CO is a Marine Colonel over all us Navy types. Sorry for the rant was reading about the PCS types and induction. My situation is strange indeed.

Guest FTS(PS)

He has a point.  The difference between FLTMPS and NDAWS is FLTMPS you need a login & super access to view everyone in the Navy but with NDAWS you don't. All you need is a name and SSN.  What's on every page of your package?  Exactly.  It takes less than a minute to verify something in NDAWS if you have that info.

One doesnt need super access for FLLTMPS....I have regular FLTMPS access and can look at anyone in the Navy.....However, with that being said, FLTMPS is a highly unreliable source of information for board purposes.  Just looking at mine I see a plethora of things that arent there that should be.  FLTMPS is used primarily for recording mandatory training and things of that nature. 

The PSR pulls from NDAWS, so in a sense, sure, they can see NDAWS info, whether or not they're actually going directly into it.

Noticed this last year. Had four awards that were supposed to be listed and all of them were in my OMPF, but PSR only showed three. Turned out, one of the awards, while having my SSN right, had my middle initial wrong, and sure enough, a search in NDAWS with the wrong middle initial pulled up the "missing" award right away.  

One doesnt need super access for FLLTMPS....I have regular FLTMPS access and can look at anyone in the Navy.....However, with that being said, FLTMPS is a highly unreliable source of information for board purposes.  Just looking at mine I see a plethora of things that arent there that should be.  FLTMPS is used primarily for recording mandatory training and things of that nature. 

I was being sarcastic about the super access!!

• Like 1

Guest Msduval2u

I had a dream last night that woke me up out of my sleep. I was a...wait for it.. YNC! Dreaming it into existence

Guest Blondie

When/how are the cycle's E-7 quotas determined?  I know they are typically released within a few days of the board convening, I am just really interested in the mechanics of the process.