FY21 Chief Selection Board

Guest Juan  "The Don" Clavijo

First time, made board! Not going to lie, I'm a little nervous.

Looking forward to all the great info from everybody. Congrats to all who made it! Hope this is everyone's year! 

I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S

So the RC E8/9 board was scheduled to adjourn today.  The AC E9 board is suppose to convene on 30 March, but with all the stuff about Covid-19, I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets shifted to the right. And if it gets shifted, likely so will the E8 board. Which could cascade through all of board season. I wonder if COVID-19 will last long enough to affect the E7 boards?

39 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

So the RC E8/9 board was scheduled to adjourn today.  The AC E9 board is suppose to convene on 30 March, but with all the stuff about Covid-19, I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets shifted to the right. And if it gets shifted, likely so will the E8 board. Which could cascade through all of board season. I wonder if COVID-19 will last long enough to affect the E7 boards?

Good question, I hope someone might know. There are a lot of things shutting down and not by choice.

25 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

I wonder if this will cause a push to more virtual boards. 

Does the Navy already have virtual boards? It's hard to imagine seeing the Chief's board done that way but I don't know. 

Guest subguy10524
48 minutes ago, Tony said:

Does the Navy already have virtual boards? It's hard to imagine seeing the Chief's board done that way but I don't know. 

The nuclear LDO ISPB to my knowledge was a virtual board. It was mentioned in a couple of places I would have to dig for again. 

Guest MILSPOUSE01

Hey y'all, I'm a little late with sharing this, but my husband made board......again! When results come out he will have 19 years 6 months in. He has already submitted his retirement package, but I have encouraged him to give it hell one last time before he hangs his hat up! Send some good vibes his way if you wouldn't mind and good luck to all of you who made board as well! Praying this is y'alls year too!!! 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

How are designation letters after the November eval percieved to the board ?

The board fully understands that after you sign your eval in November, you may gain additional roles and responsibilities.  It is just something that hasn't been quantified on an eval.  It is not looked at as a negative.  

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker
1 hour ago, Ord3i said:

The board fully understands that after you sign your eval in November, you may gain additional roles and responsibilities.  It is just something that hasn't been quantified on an eval.  It is not looked at as a negative.  

I guess I'm just hearing mixed opinions about it or something,  thanks for clarifying it, cause honestly it would be stupid if they totally blew it off...

Guest Krack06

Has anybody annotated to the board about being at a training command and not an instructor? If so how did you go about it? Not billeted as an instructor, but able to go through the MTS program. 

Guest Charlie_Tango
On 3/12/2020 at 11:41 PM, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

How are designation letters after the November eval percieved to the board ?

I sent 3 I received after my November eval. I was selected.

Send them... they are the purpose of the LTB.. to include things not in your record.

Guest Charlie_Tango
6 hours ago, Krack06 said:

Has anybody annotated to the board about being at a training command and not an instructor? If so how did you go about it? Not billeted as an instructor, but able to go through the MTS program. 

Have your CO  draft a letter and sign it stating that you are not in an instructor billet and are ineligible to participate in the MTS program. include it in your LTB. easy day.

10 hours ago, Tony said:

Anyone think the board will be delayed because of COVID-19? I'm thinking it's moving in that direction. :huh:

Well seeing as the E9 and E8 AC board were scheduled to convene in the next 60 days, but travel ban. Plus all the officer boards that are suppose to go down, plus the E7 boards. Yeah I would probably def say it’s gonna be late. Super short season if there is one at all

25 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

Well seeing as the E9 and E8 AC board were scheduled to convene in the next 60 days, but travel ban. Plus all the officer boards that are suppose to go down, plus the E7 boards. Yeah I would probably def say it’s gonna be late. Super short season if there is one at all

Didn't think about the season either. Everytime I turn on the news, that virus thing gets worse!

Guest hayes

NAVADMIN 069/20 was released today about guidance for administering the remaining active E4 exams and the rest of the SELRES exams. It has this gem:

3.  Results.  E-4 through E-6 Total Force advancements and SELRES
E-7 Selection Board Eligibility are anticipated to be released in July 2020.  
Results are heavily dependent on commands promptly processing and returning 
answer sheets.

Yup - SELRES E-7 SBE to be released July 2020. Keep in mind that that board is supposed to convene in the middle of May. So yeah, this year's board schedule will be all kinds of whack.

1 hour ago, hayes said:

NAVADMIN 069/20 was released today about guidance for administering the remaining active E4 exams and the rest of the SELRES exams. It has this gem:

Yup - SELRES E-7 SBE to be released July 2020. Keep in mind that that board is supposed to convene in the middle of May. So yeah, this year's board schedule will be all kinds of whack.

This whole thing is wild.

Guest PropM
20 hours ago, Charlie_Tango said:

Have your CO  draft a letter and sign it stating that you are not in an instructor billet and are ineligible to participate in the MTS program. include it in your LTB. easy day.

Has anyone really done that? I'm thinking it's like doing a letter that says sorry I'm not EOOW qualified because I'm not on a ship. Thoughts?

Break/

Are there any MM SW's in here?

Break/

Anyone mind sharing their LTB's that assisted in selection?

Guest Charlie_Tango
1 hour ago, PropM said:

Has anyone really done that? I'm thinking it's like doing a letter that says sorry I'm not EOOW qualified because I'm not on a ship. Thoughts?

Break/

I understand your question/statement. A buddy of mine did the very thing that I suggested. MTS and training commands aren't black and white in rating career paths. EOOW and rank restrictions depending on platform are black and white. Example: being a PO2 on a CVN...you're not getting an EOOW letter. PO1 at a CRUDES command? You can definitely get it if CHENG/CO trusts you.