FY21 Chief Selection Board

Guest Charlie_Tango
4 hours ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

Would 3MC be a special qualification by chance?

3MC is good. Are you doing the job? 
couldn’t post the screenshot it was too big, but here’s the link to your career path. See page 3 for What they’re looking for for Chief. Message me if you want or have any more questions

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/surface_engineering/Documents/GSE career path.pdf

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker
1 minute ago, Charlie_Tango said:

couldn’t post the screenshot it was too big, but here’s the link to your career path. See page 3 for What they’re looking for for Chief. Message me if you want or have any more questions

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/surface_engineering/Documents/GSE career path.pdf

I know all about the career path , I definitely will be doing the job, I'm precommisioning a LCS, so there are 2 billets for 3MC that's required to be fully qualified one as a first class which is me and one for a chief, I'll be engineering departmental 3MA and will be 3MCA I'll be right hand to the primary 3MC and the other crew 3MAs, so I'll have my hands full with my engineering tasks and 3m, which I'm fully capable of handling. Basically I'll be doing both jobs. Right now we're starting up our 3M program with direct training and getting everyone else qualified to there respective positions.

10 minutes ago, Charlie_Tango said:

And I've seen on my career path, they expect us to be up to 3MA,  but I'll have 3mc under my belt as well..

22 minutes ago, Charlie_Tango said:

So I'll have my designation letters sometime next month, our ship commissions in like 5 months, but I want to know how could I even quantify the numbers when I've accomplished all of this after my last NOV eval..

Guest Charlie_Tango
1 hour ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

So I'll have my designation letters sometime next month, our ship commissions in like 5 months, but I want to know how could I even quantify the numbers when I've accomplished all of this after my last NOV eval..

I was in the same boat as you, sorta. I started 3M at my command and did it all after my November eval. Luckily for me - I won SOQ that quarter and my SOQ LOC write up mentioned my work. I submitted that LOC and my 3MC letter in my LTB. At a minimum - send your 3MC letter into the board. Made it that year. 

2 hours ago, Charlie_Tango said:

I was in the same boat as you, sorta. I started 3M at my command and did it all after my November eval. Luckily for me - I won SOQ that quarter and my SOQ LOC write up mentioned my work. I submitted that LOC and my 3MC letter in my LTB. At a minimum - send your 3MC letter into the board. Made it that year. 

Talking about a perfect ending, that's some good insight, it definitely worked out well for you, it's good to know that people can overcome certain obstacles like this, I really appreciate it, any more tips I'm all game for ..

I have another question,  so on the considerations for chief on career LADR it says ETT/DCTT, I qualified ETT as a third on my last ship and it's in that eval with IMPACT, but I have no designation letter for it, so how would it be applied to being a E6 when I got that qual when I was a E-4,  would that mark off the ETT portion?

Guest Charlie_Tango
5 hours ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

I have another question,  so on the considerations for chief on career LADR it says ETT/DCTT, I qualified ETT as a third on my last ship and it's in that eval with IMPACT, but I have no designation letter for it, so how would it be applied to being a E6 when I got that qual when I was a E-4,  would that mark off the ETT portion?

I never got a desig letter for CSTT it DCTT. As long as it’s documented in your evals. Being a FCPO at sea hopefully you’re doing it out there as well and documented 

I never got a desig letter for CSTT it DCTT. As long as it’s documented in your evals. Being a FCPO at sea hopefully you’re doing it out there as well and documented 

LCS don't have a ship ETT team, the LCSRON ETT team has to come aboard and drill us lol ikr crazy..but I'm doing dctt tho..

Guest Charlie_Tango
3 hours ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

LCS don't have a ship ETT team, the LCSRON ETT team has to come aboard and drill us lol ikr crazy..but I'm doing dctt tho..

LCS is an interesting community...

just remember in all that you do... qualify senior in rate + subordinate success, contribution to division/department/command/Navy. that's the recipe for "best and fully qualified."

19 hours ago, Charlie_Tango said:

LCS is an interesting community...

just remember in all that you do... qualify senior in rate + subordinate success, contribution to division/department/command/Navy. that's the recipe for "best and fully qualified."

What's your rate by chance?

Guest Doc Danny
20 hours ago, Rmss00 said:

Anyone willing to look at my evals and provide feedback? How much wait, if any, does a transfer eval carries?

I would like to know too. I transferred in October. Hoping it doesn’t send a message that I was trying to avoid being ranked with my peers. Had to report to school.

14 hours ago, Doc Danny said:

I would like to know too. I transferred in October. Hoping it doesn’t send a message that I was trying to avoid being ranked with my peers. Had to report to school.

You honestly can't be dinged with transferring in october, but I would explain it in your ltb to clear things up, cause if your orders say you have school next month, you could not possibly be dodging being ranked.

18 hours ago, Doc Danny said:

We can’t all transfer right after a reporting period and the board is obviously aware of it. IMO, a transfer eval would carry as much weight for how strongly it was written. Does it have the action and impact? Another way for it to carry weight is to have a soft breakout. 

Guest Doc Danny
5 hours ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

You honestly can't be dinged with transferring in october, but I would explain it in your ltb to clear things up, cause if your orders say you have school next month, you could not possibly be dodging being ranked.

Ok that’s what I’ll do. Don’t want to leave it for someone to come up with their own interpretation for the sequence of events. Especially in my rate where there are some many of us. I’ve seen it asked many times back when I was a lurker. 

Guest Doc Danny
1 hour ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

We can’t all transfer right after a reporting period and the board is obviously aware of it. IMO, a transfer eval would carry as much weight for how strongly it was written. Does it have the action and impact? Another way for it to carry weight is to have a soft breakout. 

It would be nice if we could though. Before I submitted I vetted it through my mentors both in rate and not and they loved it. My greatest concern and what I teach and mentor my junior Sailors about is the importance of the write up and being above RSCA. Just didn’t want it to be preceived as this Sailor was sitting high two years in a row but what could of happened here? Was the transfer prior to being rank with her peers to avoid doing so? I know it’s not suppose to be the case but we can’t say it does happen. All it takes is for some to mention it and the thought is easily planted. But like you mentioned the write up was all impact and action. It was a busy year for us at USS Last Command. 

Guest Charlie_Tango
On 2/21/2020 at 4:52 PM, Rmss00 said:

Anyone willing to look at my evals and provide feedback? How much wait, if any, does a transfer eval carries?

PM me for my work email - will happily look at what you got 

Guest Charlie_Tango
On 2/22/2020 at 1:22 PM, Doc Danny said:

Was it addressed in your October transfer eval - (why you transferred/what your ranking would be if you stayed?) if so - you’re good. 

What's Sustained superior performance and go.. anyone care to chime in 

Leadership 

Qualifications 

Awards

Education 

Collaterals ( what are the major collaterals)

Guest Charlie_Tango
6 hours ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

What's Sustained superior performance and go.. anyone care to chime in 

Leadership 

Qualifications 

Awards

Education 

Collaterals ( what are the major collaterals)

Soft/Hard eval breakouts - ITA at/above RSCA - and trending up. ranking above peers. SSP...

from the convening order:

BEST & FULLY qualified: 

Scope and impact of leadership: primary job assignments & impact to division/department/command/NAVY; mentoring/developing Sailors (qualifying/advancing/retaining)

institutional and tehcnical exptertise: using that knowledge to train - developing proficiency of subordinates and creating winning teams. 

*** special qualifications - at, above rank - in and out of rating ***

education and professional development - PPME/JPME/civilian education (PPME and JPME are prequisites to the SEA...which is a prequisite to make MCPO..)

history of assignments: haze grey and underway... diversity. 

collateral duties - successful management of major collateral duties, documented impact NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF PRIMARY DUTIES!

summary - take the HARD JOBS and better yourself and your team every chance you get. Your Sailors/team succeeds YOU DO! your eval writeups should be about your team's accomplishments.. their success is your success.

Guest subguy10524
6 hours ago, Charlie_Tango said:

summary - take the HARD JOBS and better yourself and your team every chance you get. Your Sailors/team succeeds YOU DO! your eval writeups should be about your team's accomplishments.. their success is your success.

This last part is key. While I haven’t gotten the S myself, everyone I have seen pickup while being on this forum for a few years has been the ones talking about the Sailors they led and mentored. Individual accomplishments don’t matter as much as the impact you have on those you lead. 

Your awards don’t matter as much anymore. How many awards did you help your guys earn? What did you do behind the scenes to help your guys succeed! How did you teach them? 

if your evals show those metrics and how your guys performed, you will be successful! 

1 hour ago, subguy10524 said:

This last part is key. While I haven’t gotten the S myself, everyone I have seen pickup while being on this forum for a few years has been the ones talking about the Sailors they led and mentored. Individual accomplishments don’t matter as much as the impact you have on those you lead. 

Your awards don’t matter as much anymore. How many awards did you help your guys earn? What did you do behind the scenes to help your guys succeed! How did you teach them? 

if your evals show those metrics and how your guys performed, you will be successful! 

Hit that right on the head..

Guest LS1(AW/SW/IW)

Listen, I’ve heard sustaine superior performance, dctt lpo at sea the whole 9. I’m also saw people make the cut with zero of the things Every mentioned . It gets to the point where if it’s your turn it’s your turn.