FY20 Chief Selection Board

34 minutes ago, jake_IT1 said:

So your saying they do check prims?

Not on the board.  I could be wrong, but I believe it's the post board scrub when they check things like PRIMS to verify eligibility to advance.  I think that is where the H comes from.

Guest Skipari
33 minutes ago, AME1 said:

Not on the board.  I could be wrong, but I believe it's the post board scrub when they check things like PRIMS to verify eligibility to advance.  I think that is where the H comes from.

Exactly what I've been told as well.. PRIMS is not reviewed or looked at by board members, but it is part of the post-board scrub. I.e. what they're looking though the next couple weeks.

Guest Skipari
36 minutes ago, Pebz said:

Another discussion topic: What would be your opinion on a sailor with a practically maxed out ladr? Is there such thing as “too good” or “overqualified? 

And

How much weight would you think “filling role of LCPO” would hold in a write up? 

A PO1 thats "too good....Overqualified" for Chief? That's quite an opinion of someone that you're throwing out there.

Are you suggesting the CPO board would be so blown away by a Sailor's record that they would recommend selection for Senior? 😆

43 minutes ago, Pebz said:

Another discussion topic: What would be your opinion on a sailor with a practically maxed out ladr? Is there such thing as “too good” or “overqualified? 

And

How much weight would you think “filling role of LCPO” would hold in a write up? 

I don’t know about over qualified. I think it’s more if you hit every block, what else are you doing to succeed and improve besides just what the LADR says and not being stagnant  

Filling the role of an LCPO would be working above your paygrade. So obviously good if you have positive impact

48 minutes ago, Skipari said:

A PO1 thats "too good....Overqualified" for Chief? That's quite an opinion of someone that you're throwing out there.

Are you suggesting the CPO board would be so blown away by a Sailor's record that they would recommend selection for Senior? 😆

Just tossing ideas around. Some people look at others that are highly qualified and instead of giving credit where it’s due they question what’s lacking because no one can be “THAT GOOD”. 

47 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

I don’t know about over qualified. I think it’s more if you hit every block, what else are you doing to succeed and improve besides just what the LADR says and not being stagnant  

Great way to put that. So often once results come out we see post after post of “Ive done EVERYTHING! What could possibly be left?” and it seems the most common answer is “keep doing what you’re doing, it’s not your turn”. I can see how that may get frustrating to many and that’s what prompts the thought, have you done too much, too soon, too quickly that people doubt you? 

1 hour ago, Pebz said:

Great way to put that. So often once results come out we see post after post of “Ive done EVERYTHING! What could possibly be left?” and it seems the most common answer is “keep doing what you’re doing, it’s not your turn”. I can see how that may get frustrating to many and that’s what prompts the thought, have you done too much, too soon, too quickly that people doubt you? 

I look at it like this. Some boxes you should be checking more than once. . Thats how do you show “sustained superior performance”. You could have one or two good years and hit every check, but if you don’t maintain then how is it sustained?

Guest DocEddy8404

I’ve always been told if you have a Field Code 38 in your record it has to be briefed to the entire selection tank; however, the precept says adverse Information only within the last 5 years will be briefed... what’s the disconnect here? 

Guest Romeo Sierra One
29 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

I look at it like this. Some boxes you should be checking more than once. . Thats how do you show “sustained superior performance”. You could have one or two good years and hit every check, but if you don’t maintain then how is it sustained?

Some of you may have experienced this but it can be difficult to mainain SSP if you're part of the top tier FCPOs at your command then you transfer and get a ranked eval at your new command when you have only been there for 2 or 3 months. I don't think that should count against you but you go from EP to P. 

Guest subguy10524
2 hours ago, Pebz said:

I think people sometimes miss the point in cases like this.  From what I read here, a lot of people have their evaluations only focused on what they have done. And those personnel are the ones not getting selected.

My guess, those people are missing the leadership. Sure they can do the ME things. But a very large about being a chief is taking care of leading your Sailors.  If your evaluation doesn't have the accomplishments of those who work under you or how you have helped your Sailors succeed, you are missing a key leadership component. This is just my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth.

Guest subguy10524
42 minutes ago, Sierra Hotel One said:

Some of you may have experienced this but it can be difficult to mainain SSP if you're part of the top tier FCPOs at your command then you transfer and get a ranked eval at your new command when you have only been there for 2 or 3 months. I don't think that should count against you but you go from EP to P. 

Every single Chief and above I have talked to who has sat the board has told me they expect the "sawtooth" pattern.  You will go to a P or MP at your first eval at a new command.  It is expected and not seen as a detractor.  The writeup should reflect what you have done and what you are doing to improve and impact the command. 

Guest Skipari
1 hour ago, subguy10524 said:

I think people sometimes miss the point in cases like this.  From what I read here, a lot of people have their evaluations only focused on what they have done. And those personnel are the ones not getting selected.

My guess, those people are missing the leadership. Sure they can do the ME things. But a very large about being a chief is taking care of leading your Sailors.  If your evaluation doesn't have the accomplishments of those who work under you or how you have helped your Sailors succeed, you are missing a key leadership component. This is just my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth.

Great point. This is why I’m not a huge fan of using the LaDR to measure your success as a PO1. If you solely focus on that, it takes away from your priority to train and develop your Sailors. Its a very self-centric tool.

1 minute ago, Skipari said:

Great point. This is why I’m not a huge fan of using the LaDR to measure your success as a PO1. If you solely focus on that, it takes away from your priority to train and develop your Sailors. Its a very self-centric tool.

That’s why it’s used in conjunction with the convening order. Plus if your doing it right, at least I know with my LADR, leadership can been shown while completing some of the labeled considerations. 

Guest Skipari
5 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

That’s why it’s used in conjunction with the convening order. Plus if your doing it right, at least I know with my LADR, leadership can been shown while completing some of the labeled considerations. 

Fair point. I guess I should clarify that my own rate’s LaDR is very qualification-heavy. That just encourages PO1s to get their own PQS/JQR signed vice training someone else to complete theirs IMO.

22 minutes ago, Skipari said:

Fair point. I guess I should clarify that my own rate’s LaDR is very qualification-heavy. That just encourages PO1s to get their own PQS/JQR signed vice training someone else to complete theirs IMO.

How do you expect to train someone else to get their PQS/JQR, if you yourself aren't qualified to do so?

Guest LS1(SW)
42 minutes ago, Skipari said:

Its does encourage A bit of selfishness  but it's also gives us an opportunity to teach junior Sailors about the LaDR and possibly motivate them to start working on those PQS/JQRs themselves.

Guest Skipari
26 minutes ago, AT1 said:

How do you expect to train someone else to get their PQS/JQR, if you yourself aren't qualified to do so?

Our LaDR highlights achieving advanced qualifications (the ones usually held by a CPO or above), which I understand how that is a positive with regards to a candidate. My point was that I have seen instances where LPOs/PO1s were more self-focused on obtaining these advanced quals rather than training junior guys in to achieve their more intial/basic quals (the ones that the PO1 already have).

1 minute ago, Skipari said:

Our LaDR highlights achieving advanced qualifications (the ones usually held by a CPO or above), which I understand how that is a positive with regards to a candidate. My point was that I have seen instances where LPOs/PO1s were more self-focused on obtaining these advanced quals rather than training junior guys in to achieve their more intial/basic quals (the ones that the PO1 already have).

Understood, the most positive impact IMO that a Sailor could have is if they had those qualifications listed on their eval to show what they have done. But to also list the qualifications their junior Sailors have achieved through their leadership, as someone pointed out earlier many people tend to focus on themselves and not what they are doing for their junior Sailors in their evals.

Okay, I’m usually silent here but I’m drunk and have been grilling dinner in some pretty hot and humid weather so I decided... what the hell...

I see people talking about their “junior sailors” and trying to translate or word things to make them look good in front of a Chief board. I know what the general intent is however, I did want to point out what I assume (and hope) is obvious...

Who cares? Really, just do your job, do it well. If you have quals to get (JQRs, PQS, Supervisor, etc) then get them. After you get them, get better at them. When you’re better at them, train your relief. If your command needs help, then help. If you can be a FCPOA Pres, be it. If not, help them. If you can lead SAILOR360 (CPO365 or whatever we’re gonna call it next) then do it. If any of those things are even the slightest distraction from your job or your junior sailors then forget those BS extra things and do what’s more important. 

If you’re gonna make chief, you’ll make it. It not, who cares? You can do a good job and have fun, kick some (whatever they’ll not bleep out in this post) and have some memories worth looking back on (and doing something else later in life) instead of wearing a “Vet” hat riding a little rascal in a Walmart. 

If you’re worried about making it and wondering if your package was good enough for the board... I feel ya. Just suck it up and get back to work. You all had that FCPO who spent all their time worried about making Chief instead of helping you out. Don’t be that guy. 

I am not making fun of any person or post on here so if you feel offended then look inward and not at me. You all are smart enough to know what you need to do, have worked with people you wish to be (or not be) and know where you want to go from here. I appreciate being able to “lurk” here and learn a bit, but don’t forget your junior people are people... not an eval bullet. 

Guest NOLASenior
3 hours ago, DocEddy8404 said:

I’ve always been told if you have a Field Code 38 in your record it has to be briefed to the entire selection tank; however, the precept says adverse Information only within the last 5 years will be briefed... what’s the disconnect here? 

All LTB's and FC-38 will be briefed by the grader before the rest of the record is briefed. Only the FC-38's within the 5 year window are re-boarded and re-briefed/ tank voted on. Policy states that those inside 5 years will be scrutinized by the panel and more policy procedures are conducted (resulting in a "H" status). This is where the '5 year' myth comes from. Panel members see much more than 5 years. Do they consider much past that? It is up to the individual, mostly NO. PRIMS data? What's in the eval track tells the board everything.

46 minutes ago, KDSA said:

...don’t forget your junior people are people... not an eval bullet. 

Amen to that. Spoken like a true no bs leader. I just choose to believe when people talk about doing all they can do, helping the junior people is a given. I don’t think it needs to be said over and over again every cycle. That’s like saying you have to make sure you’re wearing your uniform everyday. I see the collective eye roll when the “it’s about your junior guys accomplishments not yours” conversations start. Yes, some people go in every day just for themselves. It will all pan out in the end if you’re doing what’s right. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Guest Skipari
8 minutes ago, KDSA said:

Okay, I’m usually silent here but I’m drunk and have been grilling dinner in some pretty hot and humid weather so I decided... what the hell...

I see people talking about their “junior sailors” and trying to translate or word things to make them look good in front of a Chief board. I know what the general intent is however, I did want to point out what I assume (and hope) is obvious...

Who cares? Really, just do your job, do it well. If you have quals to get (JQRs, PQS, Supervisor, etc) then get them. After you get them, get better at them. When you’re better at them, train your relief. If your command needs help, then help. If you can be a FCPOA Pres, be it. If not, help them. If you can lead SAILOR360 (CPO365 or whatever we’re gonna call it next) then do it. If any of those things are even the slightest distraction from your job or your junior sailors then forget those BS extra things and do what’s more important. 

If you’re gonna make chief, you’ll make it. It not, who cares? You can do a good job and have fun, kick some (whatever they’ll not bleep out in this post) and have some memories worth looking back on (and doing something else later in life) instead of wearing a “Vet” hat riding a little rascal in a Walmart. 

If you’re worried about making it and wondering if your package was good enough for the board... I feel ya. Just suck it up and get back to work. You all had that FCPO who spent all their time worried about making Chief instead of helping you out. Don’t be that guy. 

I am not making fun of any person or post on here so if you feel offended then look inward and not at me. You all are smart enough to know what you need to do, have worked with people you wish to be (or not be) and know where you want to go from here. I appreciate being able to “lurk” here and learn a bit, but don’t forget your junior people are people... not an eval bullet. 

All fair points and thanks for sharing. With respect, I don't agree with the attitude that we shouldn't care about advancing. IMO, it should be okay to want to progress in your career while still maintaining humility and being thankful for the people who helped you get there. However, as you said, when it becomes your sole focus or consumes the way you work, then it is a problem.

I would assume all participants on here are either trying to learn something or pass the time while we all wait -- it is the CPO advancement forum after all 😃. For the majority of us, its not our first rodeo. I'm sure, like me, we've been told "not this year" more than once and gotten right back to work the next day. It's good to take the bad news in stride as you said.  I didn't get the vibe anyone was placating to a board or trying to make themselves look good on here. There would obviously be no point to that. In the end, we're just killing time.

1 hour ago, Pebz said:

Amen to that. Spoken like a true no bs leader. I just choose to believe when people talk about doing all they can do, helping the junior people is a given. I don’t think it needs to be said over and over again every cycle. That’s like saying you have to make sure you’re wearing your uniform everyday. I see the collective eye roll when the “it’s about your junior guys accomplishments not yours” conversations start. Yes, some people go in every day just for themselves. It will all pan out in the end if you’re doing what’s right. 🤷🏽‍♀️

With all due respect, you can roll your eyes at it being about your junior Sailors accomplishments all you want but it is. I got here because the Sailors that worked for me, worked hard and did a very good job, it allowed me to focus on the bigger picture of things and not just what was happening right then. I didn't have time to get extra qualifications like Safe For Flight, but I didn't need to because of them. My Sailors where not just an eval bullet, but if I would have just tried to put on my eval what I had accomplished then I wouldn't be here. The point is, don't make your eval all about what you are doing or have done and if you are and not leaving time for your Sailors and training them and only focusing on yourself it is hurting you. That is how I view it, everyone has their own opinions.

Guest Skipari
2 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

I am just saying, we are 5 days ahead of last year’s forum. It was July 25th when we hit page 33 last year. I’m so bored right now 🤣 

It’ll start really rolling here in the next week or so. I remember last year we had (I think) around 200+ folks chiming in or watching the forum in the days leading to the release.