FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest jake_IT1

Alright guys, I've lurked enough. 

After looking through the last few years of the scheduled adjourn date, and the NAVADMIN release date (because there isn't really anything else that can be done until the results come out) the average time is 2 weeks. 

15JUL16-3AUG16: 2 1/2 Weeks
21JUL17-4AUG17: 2 Weeks
20JUL18-8AUG18: 2 1/2 Weeks

If they follow the trend, we'll have the results either the 1st of August, or the 6th.

Guest jake_IT1

If your new to the entire selection board process, or new to here, below is some questions that I came upon when my peers asked me:

Why does the process take so long?

A: "From the time that sailors are notified that they are SEL BD ELIGIBLE, to the time that the board convenes, isn't too long to have sailors review all of their online records and submit LTB for corrections. That is why it is important to have your records in OMPF (awards, evaluation gaps, etc) addressed as soon as they are found". 
BL: Be ready, so you never have to get ready.

What do all they look over?

A: Honestly, some people have got the rank of 1st WITHOUT having to look at their OMPF. Nothing on them, this might be the first time that they were unsure about what the board looks for, and were never mentored on this. Remember, we all started at the same place, but our careers are as vast as the people that inhabit our navy.
"Each candidate’s permanent record is maintained in the Electronic Military Personnel Records System (EMPRS).  Documents in Official Military Personnel files (OMPF) field codes 30 through 38, the PSR, and the candidate’s LTB are provided to selection boards (refer to MILPERSMAN 1070-080 and BUPERSINST 1070.27).  Each candidate is required to review his or her OMPF and PSR and take action to ensure those records are updated to the maximum extent.  Commands shall take proactive steps to ensure candidates’ records are properly updated and that candidates review their OMPF and PSR and submit LTBs as appropriate".

Who makes up the Board?

A: BOARD MEMBERSHIP.  Each enlisted selection board consists of a Flag Officer or Captain who serves as President; a Fleet, Force, or Command Master Chief who serves as the Board Senior Enlisted Advisor, a senior recorder; and officers and master chief petty officers (and senior chief petty officers for E7 boards) serving as board members. Your rate may have as little as 1, but as many as 10, depending on the size of your rate. That is why your records and evals need to cater towards your LADR.

So the board adjourned, why does it take so long from when it adjourns, to the results being posted.

A:  After the board adjourns, a report is drafted to CNP. "The content of the report must certify that the board complied with all instructions and directions contained in the precept and convening order and that the board carefully considered the record of every candidate whose name was furnished for review.  Upon CNP approval of the selectees, a NAVADMIN is released to announce the selectees". By observation, this can take up to 2 weeks.

Guest LS1(AW/SW/IW)
On 7/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

Just for the record, a MCPO from my command that I am 99% sure was at the board is back 

Look him up on fltmps. If he did the selection board training recently then he was there lol

Guest jake_IT1
2 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

I know we haven’t mentioned this in a bit but are the rumors true about the board being adjourned? 

At this point, they're supposed to adjourn by Friday, so maybe 1August, or the 6th for results...

51 minutes ago, LS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Look him up on fltmps. If he did the selection board training recently then he was there lol

I actually just got done doing this, and looked to see which master chiefs were there from my rate. It was actually easy to figure it out, not that it helps anything 😂 

1 hour ago, LS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Yeah, they don’t always update that because I know 2 MCPOs from my command that we’re at the Senior Chief board and that wasn’t updated till after results. And the one I think was at this one was at another board already this year and didn’t have the training listed from that one either

49 minutes ago, OrdieLife said:

I actually just got done doing this, and looked to see which master chiefs were there from my rate. It was actually easy to figure it out, not that it helps anything 😂 

I just went through this for all the master chiefs in my rating and the only recent training I see is for the one I know did the Senior Chief board

Guest wvahillbilly
On 7/17/2019 at 4:20 AM, Sierra Hotel One said:

Hopefully your dream is a reality here in a few weeks. Just dont think about it and the days should go by quick, that's what I'm attempting to do.

Also anyone know about CO phone call if you are selected? Is that a navy wide thing or do only certain commands do it?

From what i am hearing at my command our CO will call us once he finds out.  so midnightsh japan time. 

Guest subguy10524

Love reading all the back and forth!

For what it’s worth, the scoring is what they are specifically told can’t be released. Every time I get training on board packages from someone who has sat a board, they always say they can’t say scoring. 

I have gotten out that diverse background isn’t hugely important, as we can’t always choose our assignments. Other than that, the write up is key. And maintaining the sustained the superior performance and making an impact. 

Our evals should be about what those under our leadership accomplished or what we did specifically to impact the command or mission. 

Guest SOUTHCTRCS
19 hours ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

Sorry about that my computer would not let me delete those Quote Boxes.

So my question is this.  I am at a joint command.  I am ranked against other PO1's however, The people that work for me are GS and other branches.  Will that be looked at just as positive as leading sailors?  here is my write up this last time around.

write up.PNG

It absolutely is looked at positively. I personally picked up Senior with 3x evals that were chalked full of Joint leadership. I would even say if you get lucky enough to have someone on your board that has worked in the Joint environment, they will be able to explain to the rest of the board that often times leadership in the Joint world is more difficult than simply leading Sailors. Leadership is leadership. Even in volunteer activities, if you run/lead volunteer activities vice just participate, that carries weight. Highlighting leading peers is always a big one as well. Doesn't matter if they are Navy or not.

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker

I have a question so for those who know the term Brilliant on the Basics and the acronym S.A.I.L.O.R , so I have sponsoring on my most recent eval,  what does Sponsoring fall under i.e leadership or something else?

15 minutes ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

I have a question so for those who know the term Brilliant on the Basics and the acronym S.A.I.L.O.R , so I have sponsoring on my most recent eval,  what does Sponsoring fall under i.e leadership or something else?

Leadership, Sailorization, Command impact.  You would get points for all of it so long as the write up shows how you used sponsorship

21 minutes ago, SOUTHCTRCS said:

It absolutely is looked at positively. I personally picked up Senior with 3x evals that were chalked full of Joint leadership. I would even say if you get lucky enough to have someone on your board that has worked in the Joint environment, they will be able to explain to the rest of the board that often times leadership in the Joint world is more difficult than simply leading Sailors. Leadership is leadership. Even in volunteer activities, if you run/lead volunteer activities vice just participate, that carries weight. Highlighting leading peers is always a big one as well. Doesn't matter if they are Navy or not.

Thank you for that Senior.

Guest YN Uno
6 minutes ago, Ord3i said:

Leadership, Sailorization, Command impact.  You would get points for all of it so long as the write shows how you used sponsorship

So just in my experience, i would bullet under command impact. Speaking from carrier experience, I think it's more of a command wide program that is driven, whether with shipboard personnel gains & loss or dealing with Hull Swaps and accountability with personnel. I had a line in my eval regarding sponsorship but for hull swap purposes.  

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker
12 minutes ago, Ord3i said:

Leadership, Sailorization, Command impact.  You would get points for all of it so long as the write up shows how you used sponsorship

Thank you for the Clarification because I was trying to find which category it fell in, I appreciate the feedback  .

Guest Skipari
7 hours ago, Rmss00 said:

And the Test board thing is gone on my CCA

Now I would just like that ugly "N" to disappear from my Advancements/Selection Boards next. 😉