FY20 Chief Selection Board

18 minutes ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

Yes I have heard of this 'scoring sheet' but from the several board members I have had the pleasure of speaking of the only consistent answer I get is there is no consistency. you could have the 10 different graders grade the same package and get 10 different answers.

My understanding from what I’ve been told by people that sat the board recently is that there is no grading anymore because every record goes to the tank. The person that gets your record gets 10-15 mins to go through your record and essentially create a briefing sheet. They get around a min to brief your record to the panel in the tank and then they vote their confidence level and that creates the scattergram.  

Guest navyordie123
5 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

My understanding from what I’ve been told by people that sat the board recently is that there is no grading anymore because every record goes to the tank. The person that gets your record gets 10-15 mins to go through your record and essentially create a briefing sheet. They get around a min to brief your record to the panel in the tank and then they vote their confidence level and that creates the scattergram.  

I have also heard that once everyone has scored that record that the briefer has to stop briefing and move on from there. 

Guest navyordie123
Just now, Ord3i said:

***UPDATE***  My Navy Career Center called me.  "TEST BOARD" means that it is under review.  They said they cannot go into details other than that.  So now we have an answer!!!!

Now I think that we are going to have more questions, like what does under review mean? 

Guest Doc Danny
1 hour ago, Ord3i said:

How many people on have received a CDB after not getting selected?  I have only had it once officially.  One year I knew one of the board members so I asked him to review everything.  I understand that it is near impossible to accomplish a non select CDB during the season but I feel that it goes a long way in showing that your Chiefs Mess cares about your development.

My command is all about CDBs as I feel everyone should be and they should be done correctly. Not just a check in a box to say that it was done. Last year my command had all hopefuls muster in one location. One by one they would call us into the conference room. That's when they told us that we weren't selected and did our CDBs right then. It really sucked because the wait was killing me. I was the last one to find out that I didn't get selected.

Guest PO Theo
4 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

Ah, yes. You are correct. I heard this too. Every package goes to the tank now and get briefed by someone who has combed your record. This is why everyone has been suggesting a career summary letter. 

Guest PO Theo
4 minutes ago, Ord3i said:

***UPDATE***  My Navy Career Center called me.  "TEST BOARD" means that it is under review.  They said they cannot go into details other than that.  So now we have an answer!!!!

You call that an answer? That just provokes more questions!!

Guest navyordie123
1 minute ago, Ord3i said:

I hear ya.  They told me they cannot elaborate and that it is under review.

I wonder why that is and what it all means. maybe it is just a final review of all eligible records. 

Guest PO1Oz
1 minute ago, Ord3i said:

I hear ya.  They told me they cannot elaborate and that it is under review.

oh snap, I hope no shenanigans happened. it's the first time I've ever seen that thing as well.

Guest navyordie123
6 minutes ago, PO1Oz said:

oh snap, I hope no shenanigans happened. it's the first time I've ever seen that thing as well.

we can only hope that nothing has happened.

Guest Romeo Sierra One
1 hour ago, Ord3i said:

Last year I never saw this in CCA. I wonder if that was an indication that our stuff was never reviewed? I knew an HM1 who claimed his package was received by NPC but never reviewed. Not sure if true or not. 

1 minute ago, Sierra Hotel One said:

Last year I never saw this in CCA. I wonder if that was an indication that our stuff was never reviewed? I knew an HM1 who claimed his package was received by NPC but never reviewed. Not sure if true or not. 

I have asked every board eligible if they have TEST BOARD, and they all replied in the affirmative.  That would be way too many people who's package was not reviewed if that were the case.  I cannot say for certain that every board eligible has the TEST BOARD, but it sure seems that way.  So I would say that all of our packages are there and are currently under review.

Guest Romeo Sierra One
3 minutes ago, Ord3i said:

I have asked every board eligible if they have TEST BOARD, and they all replied in the affirmative.  That would be way too many people who's package was not reviewed if that were the case.  I cannot say for certain that every board eligible has the TEST BOARD, but it sure seems that way.  So I would say that all of our packages are there and are currently under review.

Same here, I've asked other SBEs at my command and they have TEST BOARD. I'm also asking them to join this forum but they never do! 

Sorry about that my computer would not let me delete those Quote Boxes.

So my question is this.  I am at a joint command.  I am ranked against other PO1's however, The people that work for me are GS and other branches.  Will that be looked at just as positive as leading sailors?  here is my write up this last time around.

write up.PNG

31 minutes ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

Sorry about that my computer would not let me delete those Quote Boxes.

So my question is this.  I am at a joint command.  I am ranked against other PO1's however, The people that work for me are GS and other branches.  Will that be looked at just as positive as leading sailors?  here is my write up this last time around.

Why wouldn’t it? It specifically calls out joint leadership position in convening order

C9F61CBC-5930-4C27-A789-FF3BDFA6E127.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ord3i said:

How many people on have received a CDB after not getting selected?  I have only had it once officially.  One year I knew one of the board members so I asked him to review everything.  I understand that it is near impossible to accomplish a non select CDB during the season but I feel that it goes a long way in showing that your Chiefs Mess cares about your development.

I have had 1 CDB after not getting selected, and that was right before shipping to Afghanistan on my 2nd IA.  Results dropped a couple days before we shipped out, and the CMC held a CDB with the Chiefs, and all the 1st's that didn't pick up.  Only other CDB I had was the 1 time I didn't make board.  Fleet Reserve next year, so if they do a CDB for me it'll be a short one (if I don't make it).

1 minute ago, AME1 said:

I have had 1 CDB after not getting selected, and that was right before shipping to Afghanistan on my 2nd IA.  Results dropped a couple days before we shipped out, and the CMC held a CDB with the Chiefs, and all the 1st's that didn't pick up.  Only other CDB I had was the 1 time I didn't make board.  Fleet Reserve next year, so if they do a CDB for me it'll be a short one (if I don't make it).

I really hope you get selected brother.  

Guest Romeo Sierra One
36 minutes ago, AME1 said:

I think it's no longer mandatory to conduct a CBD for non selects but when I did mine the CCC and my senior chief said that it really helps on your eval when BLK 39 LEADERSHIP is 5.0. My next two evals I made sure I got 5.0 in that catagory. 

I was out there for a 9 month tour and I'd have to say it was the best deployment I've been on. I counted 31 IDF attacks while I was there and I can still hear those FOB alarms going off! Thankfully nobody from my group was KIA but we did have one artillary shell go through the T-wall and almost hit one of our towers. 

Guest Delta Charlie Uno

Hello everybody!  First time poster but have been lurking for some time.  Been in 11 years 4th time up for chief and I feel like I got a good shot.  Sailors under my leadership have thrived and I've been without a Chief for the past 2 years, so hopefully that holds some weight.  Oh and I think results will come out on the 5th

Guest mslteck99
On 7/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, Riverine Rat said:

Good day  all!!! I figured I would jump in to the mix finally. I haven't been stressing the results so much this year as I think I am at the point that I will make it if I make it. Had a great eval this cycle and its my 3rd year as a rated NC in which I have continued upward progression while at the command. I am more stressed in the fact that I have an Officer package in at the same time. Wasn't planning on submitting it but all the Officers I work with kept pushing me to submit one. I told them I was to old "36" for the program and my Divo emailed the CM to see if they would approve the age waiver in which he did. After that I said ok and whats the worst they do tell me no. Point is Never give up on yourself or your Sailors. Took a few kicks to the rear before I saw in myself what others see. Good luck to everyone and keep pushing. Spend time with family and loved ones as when the results our out time will be spent with other taskers. I will be going on leave next week to relax with my wife and five amazing kids spending lots of time fishing and camping out under the stars disconnected from all this

Great to hear from you this year! I’m right there with you on the stress level, it’s either going to happen or not...I haven’t even been reading here as much as I did in the past. I know about getting that kick in the rear too! Brad Williamson always got into my butt at the RON and it took me a bit to get my head out, but things have been on the up ever since!

i hope to see your name on a list soon!