FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest Romeo Sierra One
33 minutes ago, Stazz said:

On leave and had a vivid dream that the board results were released way early and my name was on the list. Had to check this page so I didn't risk sounding like an idiot by calling into work. Is it August yet?

Hopefully your dream is a reality here in a few weeks. Just dont think about it and the days should go by quick, that's what I'm attempting to do.

Also anyone know about CO phone call if you are selected? Is that a navy wide thing or do only certain commands do it?

3 hours ago, YN Uno said:

haha...i've had a few of those myself! Following closing of unanswered ticket, I would usually received a follow-up email from a rep to resolve at least.

I got the follow up and emailed them asking why the ticket was closed without answering the question.  I'm not holding my breath on a response.

Guest Riverine Rat

Good day  all!!! I figured I would jump in to the mix finally. I haven't been stressing the results so much this year as I think I am at the point that I will make it if I make it. Had a great eval this cycle and its my 3rd year as a rated NC in which I have continued upward progression while at the command. I am more stressed in the fact that I have an Officer package in at the same time. Wasn't planning on submitting it but all the Officers I work with kept pushing me to submit one. I told them I was to old "36" for the program and my Divo emailed the CM to see if they would approve the age waiver in which he did. After that I said ok and whats the worst they do tell me no. Point is Never give up on yourself or your Sailors. Took a few kicks to the rear before I saw in myself what others see. Good luck to everyone and keep pushing. Spend time with family and loved ones as when the results our out time will be spent with other taskers. I will be going on leave next week to relax with my wife and five amazing kids spending lots of time fishing and camping out under the stars disconnected from all this

Guest Stazz
2 hours ago, Sierra Hotel One said:

Hopefully your dream is a reality here in a few weeks. Just dont think about it and the days should go by quick, that's what I'm attempting to do.

Also anyone know about CO phone call if you are selected? Is that a navy wide thing or do only certain commands do it?

I think I've experienced just about all scenarios at my current command. Been pulled aside by my chief, absolutely no feedback, a phone call from the skipper, and the CMC walking around and making contact with everyone (except he made eye contact with me and walked out of the room, leaving the rest of the mess that was with him scratching their heads). This year they'll have to come find me because I'll be in school with no cell service.

Guest subguy10524

Last year the CO sat us down in the wardroom and all eligibles were informed at once.

I won’t be able to check the forum much from here until results. Starting a refit on my boat. So things are getting heavy with the maintenance. Won’t have have time to worry. Gotta get the work done to get to sea!

Guest PO1Oz
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, EOTW said:

We were talking about this earlier and was wondering if anyone out there has ever seen someone with a 5.0 eval and if not what's the highest you've seen.

I know of 3. Myself for my last eval I received a 5.0 on 4.01 RSCA and SOY, a friend of mine got one as well last year, and received Group Maintainer of the Year, and another (now a CPO) was wing maintainer of the year. They are not that rare although like others were saying, RSCA matters with that mark.  But just so you get a full picture of my situation, my last 5 were 3.0 P, 4.14 MP, 4.14 MP, then >(new command) 3.41 P,  5.0 EP 1 of 72. So I'm hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath haha.

Please remember that if you join the forum, you need to respond to the validation email. If you are not getting them check your spam folder. Currently, there are three members waiting to be approved. After a few days, the registration request is deleted so please try again if that happens. 

If you are lurking, join up!

:big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoti

Guest PO1Oz
31 minutes ago, EOTW said:

I am in the same boat, except I didnt get a 5.0 my last eval was 4.86 RSCA 4.01 and got SOY and a com. I was LPO of 24, FCPOA president, ESO, urinalysis coordinator and got my associate's degree with my evals reflecting a ton of mentoring and leadership and the one before that was 4.71 RSCA 3.94. I was asking because I've never personally seen a 5.0 eval and it seems they are rare. I can honestly say being LPO and my MCPO giving me the trust to manage my guys the way I wanted helped me grow more as a leader in the two years I was in charge than I had the previous 6 years as a first class. It's tough reading this forum because I PERSONALLY think if people are honest with themselves they know when their ready to make chief and seeing so many people not make it is tough. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is my year, but like you said I'm not holding my breath.

It sure sounds like you have a solid shot. Those last two evals should speak volumes to the board. I've picked brains of people that sat boards recently, and as I am sure you know already, they make their decisions based on 1. Ladr (Have you reached all those milestones to be considered fully/best qualified) and 2. do your evals reflect sustained superior performance (Mentorship, growth, leadership, impact). By what you are posting I think you'll be good. Not sure how your rate quota looks like this year, for me it sits at 25% which is not bad at all.  Either way we have two weeks or so to dance around ideas in our heads about what ifs. :) Best of luck!

I read all these amazing posts about everyone's incredible accomplishments and how hard they work for the benefit of their Sailors to enable them to succeed.  I really hope everyone on here gets selected.  It is frustrating to be at the top year after year and not get selected.  Especially when someone else gets selected and their biggest accomplishment in Night Shift supervisor and they hold no major qualifications.  

6 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

Last year the CO sat us down in the wardroom and all eligibles were informed at once.

I won’t be able to check the forum much from here until results. Starting a refit on my boat. So things are getting heavy with the maintenance. Won’t have have time to worry. Gotta get the work done to get to sea!

It is interesting to see how different communities or different size commands inform everyone of the results.  Personally,  I think the best way is to let the CMC inform the Sailor by calling them down to the Chiefs Mess.

Guest navyordie123
Just now, Ord3i said:

It is interesting to see how different communities or different size commands inform everyone of the results.  Personally,  I think the best way is to let the CMC inform the Sailor by calling them down to the Chiefs Mess.

I definitely agree with that. there have been times when I haven't even been informed and just sort of figured it out on my own that I didn't make it. but from other First Classes that I have spoken with, we have all come to the agreement that we should be informed some way or another instead of just letting the time go by with no answers. 

Guest UwantMotrin?

My last command, they told all board eligible to be in the conference room and listen to the announcement from the CO (through speaker phone).

Guest navyordie123
1 minute ago, UwantMotrin? said:

My last command, they told all board eligible to be in the conference room and listen to the announcement from the CO (through speaker phone).

That is definitely different. I have heard of gathering all the FCPOs like that in one room but not hearing the announcement through a group phone call. 

Guest jake_IT1
30 minutes ago, Ord3i said:

I read all these amazing posts about everyone's incredible accomplishments and how hard they work for the benefit of their Sailors to enable them to succeed.  I really hope everyone on here gets selected.  It is frustrating to be at the top year after year and not get selected.  Especially when someone else gets selected and their biggest accomplishment in Night Shift supervisor and they hold no major qualifications.  

It could all come down to their records, and how well its maintained. For instance, I found a 65 day gap in my eval, and I looked at my PSR a dozen times before that. My mentors looked at it, found nothing; my chiefs looked at it and same deal.

Guest UwantMotrin?
4 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

That is definitely different. I have heard of gathering all the FCPOs like that in one room but not hearing the announcement through a group phone call. 

That was Naval Hospital Yokosuka.  I think it's because they have to reach out to about 5 or 6 different clinics across Asia.  They have 4 clinics in Japan, 1 in South Korea, and 1 in Diego Garcia.

How many people on have received a CDB after not getting selected?  I have only had it once officially.  One year I knew one of the board members so I asked him to review everything.  I understand that it is near impossible to accomplish a non select CDB during the season but I feel that it goes a long way in showing that your Chiefs Mess cares about your development.

Guest navyordie123
7 minutes ago, Ord3i said:

How many people on have received a CDB after not getting selected?  I have only had it once officially.  One year I knew one of the board members so I asked him to review everything.  I understand that it is near impossible to accomplish a non select CDB during the season but I feel that it goes a long way in showing that your Chiefs Mess cares about your development.

I have had only one CDB after non selection, the rest of the times it was either hey we will have one for you and didnt have one or heard nothing and just kept it pushing. 

5 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

I have had only one CDB after non selection, the rest of the times it was either hey we will have one for you and didnt have one or heard nothing and just kept it pushing. 

Pretty much the same for me.  I will say that in each command where they didn't do one for any of the non-selects, they still pushed and motivated everyone.  

36 minutes ago, EOTW said:

I know at this point it doesnt matter our fates are sealed but does anyone have any idea how the board grades packages. I've always wondered how scoring is done.

From my understanding they go off of you LADR, Precepts, and Convening order.  2-3 graders will go over your record and give it a raw score.  You will then be briefed to a panel of voters who will vote based off of a confidence factor.  Say 20 get briefed at a time they will pick a cut off for those tentively selected, and those they are dropping from consideration.  The ones in the middle get crunched and are voted for again until quotas are filled.

• Like 1

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker

It's only one grader now per the new brief that came out last year,  and I think he was getting at what gets grades, I'm sure he's talking about how many points is each item considered.

Guest PO Theo
5 minutes ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

From my understanding they go off of you LADR, Precepts, and Convening order.  2-3 graders will go over your record and give it a raw score.  You will then be briefed to a panel of voters who will vote based off of a confidence factor.  Say 20 get briefed at a time they will pick a cut off for those tentively selected, and those they are dropping from consideration.  The ones in the middle get crunched and are voted for again until quotas are filled.

I think EOTW was asking more about the actual scoring process. As in, how many points are awarded for each section. I have seen a grading sheet floating around in the past, but I don't know if they still use that or not. 

4 minutes ago, PO Theo said:

I think EOTW was asking more about the actual scoring process. As in, how many points are awarded for each section. I have seen a grading sheet floating around in the past, but I don't know if they still use that or not. 

Yes I have heard of this 'scoring sheet' but from the several board members I have had the pleasure of speaking of the only consistent answer I get is there is no consistency. you could have the 10 different graders grade the same package and get 10 different answers.

Guest PO Theo
18 minutes ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

Yes I have heard of this 'scoring sheet' but from the several board members I have had the pleasure of speaking of the only consistent answer I get is there is no consistency. you could have the 10 different graders grade the same package and get 10 different answers.

Of course. This is the same with SOQ and SOY grading too, though.