FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
10 minutes ago, jake_IT1 said:

I’ve relooked at my psr, to see if there was anything I didn’t find the first 18 times

Definitely not alone!!!

Looking for opinions on how big of a detractor a PFA failure 3 years ago could be.  No excuses.. had a lot of crap going on outside of work and packed on a few extra pounds when my focus shifted other places.  I've lost the weight, passed all before and all since then.  I had JSOY at an FDNF squadron in 2015, I was SOY of an FRS this year #1 of 68. I feel like my evals are spot on regarding leadership for my juniors. I attached the most recent eval.  I have had people say that it (PFA fail) won't be the reason I don't make it, and others have told me I absolutely will not make Chief with a fail on my record within the past 5 years.  Thoughts?  I think we're all at the point that we are overthinking everything now.  First time selection board eligible and hoping I don't have to go through this feeling for many years to come LOL

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1562.PNG

Guest Rmss00
49 minutes ago, CookieMonster88 said:

Looking for opinions on how big of a detractor a PFA failure 3 years ago could be.  No excuses.. had a lot of crap going on outside of work and packed on a few extra pounds when my focus shifted other places.  I've lost the weight, passed all before and all since then.  I had JSOY at an FDNF squadron in 2015, I was SOY of an FRS this year #1 of 68. I feel like my evals are spot on regarding leadership for my juniors. I attached the most recent eval.  I have had people say that it (PFA fail) won't be the reason I don't make it, and others have told me I absolutely will not make Chief with a fail on my record within the past 5 years.  Thoughts?  I think we're all at the point that we are overthinking everything now.  First time selection board eligible and hoping I don't have to go through this feeling for many years to come LOL

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1562.PNG

With that write up, you are a shoe in, God willing. I have been told more than once that the board knows we are not perfect. If you show that you fix the issue then you good. Also helps if the reason why you failed the PFA on your eval. 

Guest DocEddy8404
2 hours ago, CookieMonster88 said:

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1562.PNG

As the CFL I know everyone who passes and fails the PRT at my command.  I can tell you every year there are at least 3 or 4 selectees who have a recent PFA fail and still get selected. So take that for what it’s worth lol

4 minutes ago, DocEddy8404 said:

As the CFL I know everyone who passes and fails the PRT at my command.  I can tell you every year there are at least 3 or 4 selectees who have a recent PFA fail and still get selected. So take that for what it’s worth lol

Thanks DocEddy8404– that really does help!  I was hoping to hear the possibility.  One person made a comment that the command “wasted” SOY on someone who won’t get selected due to the PFA failure and it really put my head in the wrong space.  Going to try to stay positive. Thanks man.   

• Like 1

Guest Skipari
44 minutes ago, CookieMonster88 said:

Thanks DocEddy8404– that really does help!  I was hoping to hear the possibility.  One person made a comment that the command “wasted” SOY on someone who won’t get selected due to the PFA failure and it really put my head in the wrong space.  Going to try to stay positive. Thanks man.   

Drown out that negativity. Your performance for the year merited the award. You obviously were doing something right. Good on you for rebounding from a misstep.

Guest LS1(AW/SW/IW)
5 hours ago, CookieMonster88 said:

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1562.PNG

Great write up. I can say you will have to wait the 5 years. I have a mentor of mine that was in the same boat just pick up senior with immaculate rank ep evals at sea. Best of luck 

Guest AO1(AW/SW)
17 hours ago, Helo_AO said:

Yeah, I agree with you on the EP plus SFF statement.  As an AO, it's rare that we get the opportunity to get SFF qualified.  I don't know about the F/A-18 guys but in the helo community...ehhh, again not many.  So other items that can make you competitive like you stated, has to be taken into consideration for us because even though we are an Aviation rating, we're not "maintenance driven" so to speak.  

Yes I definitely agree about SFF in the helo community. It's wayyyyy different then the VFA community on getting that. You said you were an HELO AO? I have been in helo almost my entire career. What squadron are you at? I was just LPO at the HSM Weapons school.

Guest sk32004toLSC
8 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

So if aug 5 is the start of the 6 weeks, and if results came out aug 1, would all the “fun” wait till aug 5 since season is only suppose to be 6 weeks?

LOL

Guest AO1(AW/SW)
8 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

So if aug 5 is the start of the 6 weeks, and if results came out aug 1, would all the “fun” wait till aug 5 since season is only suppose to be 6 weeks?

yeah right lol. I'm currently on deployment right now on the big ship (and that's all they are talking about) and if you think they are going to call our names and not mess with us for 4-5 days you are crazy lol

Guest wvahillbilly
14 hours ago, jake_IT1 said:

Also: did everyone put their name and social on every page of their LTB? 

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2019/NAV19040.txt

I did put Full Name and social on each page..  one other First actually put EDI vice social.  unfortunately we caught after it was sent and the deadline passed. 

Guest wvahillbilly

it is always the last couple of weeks that drag by soooooo  long.  Would love for it to be a quick congrats go get initiated or try again next year.  but the waiting is killin me....  lol

Guest Helo_AO
6 hours ago, AO1(AW/SW) said:

Yes I definitely agree about SFF in the helo community. It's wayyyyy different then the VFA community on getting that. You said you were an HELO AO? I have been in helo almost my entire career. What squadron are you at? I was just LPO at the HSM Weapons school.

I was at HSC-26, I'm at CNATTU now.  Actually headed back to 26, lol, unless I get selected then they may redistribute me...either way, I'll be fine with the result.  HSM WEPS school in Mayport right?  My boy was down there a few years ago, he picked up AOC two years back (Zhaye).  Also, another AO1 just came through here for school that was down there with him. 

Guest Helo_AO
7 minutes ago, NC1 EL said:

Good morning folks, 

Just wondering if any NC’s out there caught the error on the quotas for NC’s. On NPC the quotas show NCR with 46 quotas and NCC with 38 quotas, but All Hands posted NCR 38 and NCC 46. What you guys think about this?

FY20 AE7 QUOTAS.pdf 666.06 kB · 0 downloads CYCLE 242 ACTIVE DUTY E7 QUOTAS.PDF 88.84 kB · 0 downloads

I have some CRF friends that brought this up in one of the CRF groups I'm in.  I told them I'd go off of what NPC put out for sure.  They're numbers are usually pretty good on average anyway. 

35 minutes ago, EOTW said:

I have always wondered if after making chief the navy looks different. I know alot of chiefs that dont stress about qualifications, dont have very many if any collaterals etc. For an E-6 that wants to make chief you are doing it all, for years. Maybe it's just my rate.

Depends on where you are at.  I have been in commands where the Chiefs Mess is all about being qualified and holding collaterals.  They may not outwardly stress about it but, there are a lot of variables as to why.  I do agree that it is a complete change in mindset, it is not about you anymore.  We have a totally different focus when it comes to those things.  

Guest AO1(AW/SW)
1 hour ago, Helo_AO said:

I was at HSC-26, I'm at CNATTU now.  Actually headed back to 26, lol, unless I get selected then they may redistribute me...either way, I'll be fine with the result.  HSM WEPS school in Mayport right?  My boy was down there a few years ago, he picked up AOC two years back (Zhaye).  Also, another AO1 just came through here for school that was down there with him. 

Man hell yeah I know zhaye. That’s my dog. He’s at HSC-22 now. You were probably talking about eddy he just got stationed there too. Well good luck bro hope we put on this year and if not then keep grindin

Guest PO Theo
3 hours ago, NC1 EL said:

Good morning folks, 

Just wondering if any NC’s out there caught the error on the quotas for NC’s. On NPC the quotas show NCR with 46 quotas and NCC with 38 quotas, but All Hands posted NCR 38 and NCC 46. What you guys think about this?

FY20 AE7 QUOTAS.pdf 666.06 kB · 1 download CYCLE 242 ACTIVE DUTY E7 QUOTAS.PDF 88.84 kB · 1 download

Yes. I definitely noticed this. My hope is that the board works off the quotas in the convening order!

Guest Skipari
1 hour ago, Ord3i said:

Does anyone remember how long it was from when they made the announcement and the results being released to the TRIAD?  We are coming up on 9 days until August 1st.

Usually it’s only been 2-3 days before triad release.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:06 AM, Waltersobchak said:

Maybe 95? I think I’m competitive ( EP, SFF, Production  Control, DAPA, QA LPO, 120 LPO, SOQ, FCPOA VP, etc.), but every community is different. Aviation seems to be: EP plus SFF= selection. Not sure if other communities have a qual like SFF, but for us it’s about the only path unless you like to roll the dice. Good luck everyone! 

The Chief I work for made it last cycle as QA LPO, and is just now working his SFF.  AME is a hard rate to make it, and I've been outside of the AME shop a total of 3 years in the past 21 years (not counting my 2 IA's).  I had 1 year as "CCC" 12 years ago when I made 1st, and then the other 2 years where I was 1 year in QA and then in the tool room before coming back to the AME shop.  All I know is right now I have 8 months until I start house hunting/job hunting/terminal leave.

On 7/21/2019 at 11:52 PM, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

So we all know the convening order has changed this year with education/professional development moving into the number 4 spot and collaterals to the number 6 slot,  how do you guys think PPME and SEJPME was weighted this year ?

Somehow I missed education/professional development moving up and collateral duties moving down. Guess I didn’t digest the convening order very well. Do you guys agree with the change? I wonder why the change also...

2 minutes ago, IS1 said:

Somehow I missed education/professional development moving up and collateral duties moving down. Guess I didn’t digest the convening order very well. Do you guys agree with the change? I wonder why the change also...

I agree with the change BIGTIME!!  Collateral duties became an unruly monster in the selection process.  The less points they are valued the better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ord3i said:

I agree with the change BIGTIME!!  Collateral duties became an unruly monster in the selection process.  The less points they are valued the better. 

Could not agree more!!! While collaterals are important we should never get our selves in to a spot where they consume us.  We as First Class's are suppose to be SME's in our rates, and should be able to maintain our technical knowledge throughout our Navy career. 

• Like 2