FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest Skipari

Has the FY-20 CPO Initiation Guidance been released?

I heard a rumor that MCPON Smith wasn’t putting out anything specific and that “Laying the Keel” was to act as that guidance. Can anyone confirm?

Guest jake_IT1
1 hour ago, Skipari said:

Has the FY-20 CPO Initiation Guidance been released?

I heard a rumor that MCPON Smith wasn’t putting out anything specific and that “Laying the Keel” was to act as that guidance. Can anyone confirm?

There’s an article that mcpon isn’t changing anything this year, that the “laying the keel” doc did well last year. They might change things next year.

Now that he’s the Navy’s top enlisted sailor, don’t expect Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Russ Smith to shake things up with his first official CPO initiation guidance.

That happened last year, when the post of an appointed MCPON was vacant and the four fleet master chiefs together reworked the “philosophical and aspirational approach” of initiation.”

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/05/07/what-you-need-to-know-about-this-years-chief-initiation/

I put my Full Name and SSN on every page of my LTB (23 pages), except if it already had my Full name (first, middle, and last), or already had my SSN (such as an Eval).

One question I have for everyone though:  I hand wrote my full name and SSN in the  bottom right of every page, and i mailed my LTB in. Before I mailed it though, I made a copy to have for my records and to show junior personnel in the future. On my copy, anything too close to the edges was cut out, such as my Name and SSN!!!

Do you think when they received my Letter and scanned it into their computers, that they would throw it out if the name and SSN didn't transfer over?

5 hours ago, Ord3i said:

I agree with the change BIGTIME!!  Collateral duties became an unruly monster in the selection process.  The less points they are valued the better. 

I agree 100%!

I've known way too many FCPO's that were in charge of 4+ Collaterals, but couldn't even do their own job for their rate, and everyone knew it. Most weren't trusted enough to even be an LPO.

Guest DocEddy8404
5 hours ago, IS1 said:

Somehow I missed education/professional development moving up and collateral duties moving down. Guess I didn’t digest the convening order very well. Do you guys agree with the change? I wonder why the change also...

Does the order of depict their importance though? 

8 minutes ago, DocEddy8404 said:

I don’t think so. I think it’s just at the bottom now because the section was re-written. For the reserves convening order, the collateral section didn’t move and also was not re-written. They are just subsections of another bullet. I personally don’t think the order matters. 

Guest Skipari
13 minutes ago, DocEddy8404 said:

Yes. From what I've gathered talking to board members and those in the know (from what they could talk about) is that scoring sheets and focus are altered year to year based on the convening order. In the case of what is being discussed, it would be reasonable to assume education point values went up and collateral point values went down.

Guest jake_IT1
36 minutes ago, EMN1 said:

I put my Full Name and SSN on every page of my LTB (23 pages), except if it already had my Full name (first, middle, and last), or already had my SSN (such as an Eval).

One question I have for everyone though:  I hand wrote my full name and SSN in the  bottom right of every page, and i mailed my LTB in. Before I mailed it though, I made a copy to have for my records and to show junior personnel in the future. On my copy, anything too close to the edges was cut out, such as my Name and SSN!!!

Do you think when they received my Letter and scanned it into their computers, that they would throw it out if the name and SSN didn't transfer over?

I assume that there’s a human element, to check for these things. 

If you put it on each page, and they don’t see it after it’s scanned in, they might do a quick double check to see if something went wrong. 

Bottom line: they page check each letter.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Guest HI_IT

Not selection board related but I figure this would be a good place to get eval advice.

I transfer in two weeks.  I’m at a joint command, CO is a USMC colonel.  Just had a change of command last week.  It looks like the new CO will be establishing his RSCA with me.  I expect that this will mean a drop in my trait average (last eval was 4.43).  I’ve heard before that this can be explained in the write up but should I also submit a statement explaining the drop In trait average?

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker
9 hours ago, Skipari said:

Yes. From what I've gathered talking to board members and those in the know (from what they could talk about) is that scoring sheets and focus are altered year to year based on the convening order. In the case of what is being discussed, it would be reasonable to assume education point values went up and collateral point values went down.

And professional development courses way more also

Guest subguy10524
2 hours ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

And professional development courses way more also

Did anyone send anything extra related to PPME or JPME?  I completed it and it is in an eval a couple cycles ago and it is in my course history. 

Just curious if I should have sent in the certificates or something in my LTB. 

Guest PO Theo
11 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

I don’t think so. I think it’s just at the bottom now because the section was re-written. For the reserves convening order, the collateral section didn’t move and also was not re-written. They are just subsections of another bullet. I personally don’t think the order matters. 

I did read somewhere though that they wanted to lessen the importance of things like collaterals and awards and focus more on technical expertise and development.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass

I think collaterals are important, which is why there in the convening order. However as long as it’s states that you were successful in the collateral without taking always from your primary duties. Basically showing you could handle your primary duty and collateral and be successful and have impact with both.

thats my take on it.

Guest PO Theo
7 hours ago, HI_IT said:

Not selection board related but I figure this would be a good place to get eval advice.

I transfer in two weeks.  I’m at a joint command, CO is a USMC colonel.  Just had a change of command last week.  It looks like the new CO will be establishing his RSCA with me.  I expect that this will mean a drop in my trait average (last eval was 4.43).  I’ve heard before that this can be explained in the write up but should I also submit a statement explaining the drop In trait average?

Your PSR will show how many evals he's graded as well as his average. If you are his first eval, your trait average will match his RSCA.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
10 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

Did anyone send anything extra related to PPME or JPME?  I completed it and it is in an eval a couple cycles ago and it is in my course history. 

So I sent mine in because I had a chief tell me I should even though it’s in my list eval. I’ve heard it both ways. I really think it really is what makes you more comfortable. It is you package.

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker
1 hour ago, subguy10524 said:

I sent all my education/professional development courses in, all my ppme and SEJPME in also along with my Gas turbine license, lean Six Sigma yellow belt,  The foundry E6 leadership course cert and that PMK even tho we wasn't required to do it this cycle, who would of thought this year education/professional development would move up this far. 

2 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

I sent in my PPME and SEJPME as well as USMAP certs.  They all can be found somewhere else whether eval/course history, etc.  But, I have heard varying things.. send them or not to send them.  Whatever makes you most comfortable since its your package.  

1 hour ago, Ord3i said:

What are the good rumors for today?  Did you all hear about the CNP's dog eating the results?

Heard from a very reliable source that, that is misinformation put out.  The real story, I heard, is his "new" windows 10 computer crashed, and wiped the file.

Side note, has anyone else recently asked if you made board?  I guess maybe it's just as the results get closer the Chiefs are starting to eye their new prospective play toys.

9 minutes ago, AME1 said:

Side note, has anyone else recently asked if you made board?  I guess maybe it's just as the results get closer the Chiefs are starting to eye their new prospective play toys.

I get asked randomly, we have a lot of Chiefs at my command so it's the ones that I don't see daily that ask.

Guest PO1_LS

Are there any LSs here that maybe wouldn’t mind giving me input on how important USMAPS certifications and DAU courses like ACQ 101 and LOG 101-103 level certs actually matter. 6 of my enclosures were just those inputs. I was told as long as they aren't normal job functions of GCPC required DAU then they should hold weight as steps towards rate mastery. I appreciate the help 

Guest NavyMA
16 hours ago, EMN1 said:

From what I have heard and think about the situation is that the name and social are more for the people scanning your stuff into the system, to verify they have your stuff with your stuff. They would have seen the entire name and SSN while scanning.

In other words I don’t think you have anything to worry about.