FY20 Chief Selection Board

1 hour ago, jake_IT1 said:

Alright guys, let’s shift to this:

How do you think you honestly broke out on the ranking board? Use the pic below, from 0-100 / yes or no.

The picture below is from the Board Selection Process power point. It’s the ranking device they use to stack your career/package...

(Photo credit: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Pages/GeneralInformation.aspx )

0C878BB0-1658-440E-B685-BC358F4A3DDC.jpeg

I don’t even know how to answer this lol hopefully it’s at least an 80 with a yes

2 hours ago, jake_IT1 said:

How do you think you honestly broke out on the ranking board? Use the pic below, from 0-100 / yes or no.

First off, much better conversation starter than well at we had going lol

With my understanding that the confidence vote is the 0-100, I would like to think I would have a fair share of 75’s and 100’s to average around 80-85 in the scattergram. Too bad this is something we will never know. 

Guest jake_IT1
1 hour ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

First off, much better conversation starter than well at we had going lol

With my understanding that the confidence vote is the 0-100, I would like to think I would have a fair share of 75’s and 100’s to average around 80-85 in the scattergram. Too bad this is something we will never know. 

Same, but it’s worth thinking about..it’s a humbling thought to have, that you and your career are summarized to a scattergram score.

I challenge everyone to look at all the docs that were published for this cycle, then at their career (ompf, esr, etc), and HONESTLY rank it from 0-100. Then knock 15 points off and there’s your score. 

If someone was to spend 30 secs to a minute talking about you and what you’ve done, how would it sound? 

Guest Skipari
4 hours ago, jake_IT1 said:

That's a hard call. Each time I've looked through my record I've bounced back and forth somewhere between 100 and negative three.

Guest Helo_AO
36 minutes ago, Waltersobchak said:

Maybe 95? I think I’m competitive ( EP, SFF, Production  Control, DAPA, QA LPO, 120 LPO, SOQ, FCPOA VP, etc.), but every community is different. Aviation seems to be: EP plus SFF= selection. Not sure if other communities have a qual like SFF, but for us it’s about the only path unless you like to roll the dice. Good luck everyone! 

Yeah, I agree with you on the EP plus SFF statement.  As an AO, it's rare that we get the opportunity to get SFF qualified.  I don't know about the F/A-18 guys but in the helo community...ehhh, again not many.  So other items that can make you competitive like you stated, has to be taken into consideration for us because even though we are an Aviation rating, we're not "maintenance driven" so to speak.  

1 hour ago, Helo_AO said:

Yeah, I agree with you on the EP plus SFF statement.  As an AO, it's rare that we get the opportunity to get SFF qualified.  I don't know about the F/A-18 guys but in the helo community...ehhh, again not many.  So other items that can make you competitive like you stated, has to be taken into consideration for us because even though we are an Aviation rating, we're not "maintenance driven" so to speak.  

Depends on the hornet command.  It's either feast or famine.  I was the only First Class that was SFF but then three more got qualified after I transferred.  

If I had to rate my self it would be to hard.  I was on a ship for my first 5.1 years then recruiting and now I'm at a joint command.  I am following my ladr and career path however, I have not had the ability to get a few of the Quals expected based off my command history. but I do get all Quals available to me.

1 minute ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

If I had to rate my self it would be to hard.  I was on a ship for my first 5.1 years then recruiting and now I'm at a joint command.  I am following my ladr and career path however, I have not had the ability to get a few of the Quals expected based off my command history. but I do get all Quals available to me.

We can't always control what commands we get.  Getting fully qualified in each command is important though.

• Cool 1

Guest jake_IT1
42 minutes ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

All,

It really comes to how well you know you and your career. Some people can be up for chief for years, and because they aren’t honest with themselves or haven’t taken inventory or their career, can be missing that one piece that puts them over the top...

I think there’s 2 key points to remember:

1. You and what you’ve done to stand out above your peers.

2. How well your record can be interpreted for the board.

Guest LS1(SW)
29 minutes ago, jake_IT1 said:

Also: did everyone put their name and social on every page of their LTB? 

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2019/NAV19040.txt

I put my full name and social on every enclosure.  I was told by someone that they never put it in the enclosures that already had their name and social in it and they made CPO and SCPO that way.  I went with what the NAVADMIN stated. It's our package at the end of the day.

Guest DocEddy8404
54 minutes ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

Im going to share my ESR and PSR with you all because I would like some feed back.  I already shared my last write up a few pages back.  This is my first time up and would like some thoughts and or to know if anything stands out good or bad.

esr.PNG

PSR.PNG

I assume you already know what you’re doing well. A few things that stuck out to me was you had 3 evals that are under RSCA. The most recent being a 1 of 1 (7) months under RSCA and a 13 month under RSCA. Not a big deal since the  subsequent evals are EP and over RSCA; however, I have seen some PSRs where the member has never been under RSCA even for very short reporting periods.  

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker
14 minutes ago, DocEddy8404 said:

I assume you already know what you’re doing well. A few things that stuck out to me was you had 3 evals that are under RSCA. The most recent being a 1 of 1 (7) months under RSCA and a 13 month under RSCA. Not a big deal since the  subsequent evals are EP and over RSCA; however, I have seen some PSRs where the member has never been under RSCA even for very short reporting periods.  

I was told you don't usually get dinged for short periods of time or changing commands and reporting seniors cause it's expected, not all fall under this category but it happens, I was told long as you go back up next year following those evals it don't hurt , but you've better be above the RSCA on the next eval, the PSR shown above is almost similar to mine.

25 minutes ago, DocEddy8404 said:

Thanks for the feed back!

1 hour ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

Im going to share my ESR and PSR with you all because I would like some feed back.  I already shared my last write up a few pages back.  This is my first time up and would like some thoughts and or to know if anything stands out good or bad.

esr.PNG

PSR.PNG

And from what I see you're usually above or at RSCA more times than not.

Guest Rmss00

Its good to know I am not the only one stressing about the PSR and eval write up 😂. The reality is that only God has total control about the situation and his time is always perfect. 

1 hour ago, LS1(EXW/SW/AW) said:

esr.PNG

PSR.PNG

I do think you have a very good chance, God willing. Good luck everyone!

6 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

So if aug 5 is the start of the 6 weeks, and if results came out aug 1, would all the “fun” wait till aug 5 since season is only suppose to be 6 weeks?

I'm placing my bets on August 1st 

Guest jake_IT1
5 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

So if aug 5 is the start of the 6 weeks, and if results came out aug 1, would all the “fun” wait till aug 5 since season is only suppose to be 6 weeks?

I think the pinning won’t flex, but the length of the season might. They’ll probably say that the season doesn’t start till a set date, but it’ll be a local or command driven season till the official start.

5 hours ago, jake_IT1 said:

Also: did everyone put their name and social on every page of their LTB? 

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2019/NAV19040.txt

I used labels and put full name, SSN and enclosure numbers on them and places in bottom right corner. But I’m slightly OCD and wanted uniformity on all pages. 

Guest jake_IT1
1 hour ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

I used labels and put full name, SSN and enclosure numbers on them and places in bottom right corner. But I’m slightly OCD and wanted uniformity on all pages. 

I’ve relooked at my psr, to see if there was anything I didn’t find the first 18 times

11 minutes ago, jake_IT1 said:
5 minutes ago, jake_IT1 said:

I’ve relooked at my psr, to see if there was anything I didn’t find the first 18 times

I think I have relooked at my psr and my package I sent in along with my last 5 evals everyday just to see if there is something that I keep missing as well haha these results cant come out soon enough