FY20 Chief Selection Board

45 minutes ago, Skipari said:

It’ll start really rolling here in the next week or so. I remember last year we had (I think) around 200+ folks chiming in or watching the forum in the days leading to the release.

Oh yeah I mean last year jumped 90 pages between jul25 and 6aug. End of next week I expect a rather large influx 

• Like 1

Guest AO1(AW/SW)

Newbie posting but long time lurker! I just want to say that I appreciate all of you guys/gals that contribute. Although I did not make an account in the past, I definitely read forum and got a ton of good info and inputs from all.

Now, Is there any AO's on the site? If so what did you guys put in your LTB and what is your Ordnance background?

38 minutes ago, AO1(AW/SW) said:

Newbie posting but long time lurker! I just want to say that I appreciate all of you guys/gals that contribute. Although I did not make an account in the past, I definitely read forum and got a ton of good info and inputs from all.

Now, Is there any AO's on the site? If so what did you guys put in your LTB and what is your Ordnance background?

What’s up man I’ve been ships company and at school house in Norfolk , I didn’t really put anything special in my LTB just the usual stuff degree,mts,movsm,ppmes, although I did decide to put my cdi/qar des letters in there since they are on the ladr. Good luck!

40 minutes ago, AO1(AW/SW) said:

I'm mostly a VFA guy . I did a CVW tour and FRC as well.  I submitted a career summary letter in the format of the old LDO/CWO packages, I just found them easy to read and it flows well.  I also submitted my designation letters for safe for flight, production controller, and the COM and NAM I got when I was staff

Guest jake_IT1
35 minutes ago, Ord3i said:

I'm mostly a VFA guy . I did a CVW tour and FRC as well.  I submitted a career summary letter in the format of the old LDO/CWO packages, I just found them easy to read and it flows well.  I also submitted my designation letters for safe for flight, production controller, and the COM and NAM I got when I was staff

Yeah that career summary letter seemed like the go to thing. When they throw my records up on the screen, they can quickly see everything about me. The easier to read, the easier to brief...possible better chance. I got 900 PO1’s up for chief in my rate, wanna put my best foot forward 

Guest subguy10524
4 hours ago, ATC said:

With all due respect, you can roll your eyes at it being about your junior Sailors accomplishments all you want but it is. I got here because the Sailors that worked for me, worked hard and did a very good job, it allowed me to focus on the bigger picture of things and not just what was happening right then. I didn't have time to get extra qualifications like Safe For Flight, but I didn't need to because of them. My Sailors where not just an eval bullet, but if I would have just tried to put on my eval what I had accomplished then I wouldn't be here. The point is, don't make your eval all about what you are doing or have done and if you are and not leaving time for your Sailors and training them and only focusing on yourself it is hurting you. That is how I view it, everyone has their own opinions.

I very much appreciate the input. This is exactly what I feel and view.  My guys are who help me excel.  If they aren't working properly, it is because I didn't train them properly.  It goes back to me and how I have given them or not given the tools to be successful.  It is about training my relief, so when I leave, or they go on to be an LPO someday, they will have as much knowledge and experience as I can give them and they can have success. 

Guest Romeo Sierra One
49 minutes ago, jake_IT1 said:

Yeah that career summary letter seemed like the go to thing. When they throw my records up on the screen, they can quickly see everything about me. The easier to read, the easier to brief...possible better chance. I got 900 PO1’s up for chief in my rate, wanna put my best foot forward 

I submitted a career summary letter for this first time this cycle. I've heard mixed reactions about them but figured I'd try it out this time. I'm hoping it made things easier for whoever reviewed my record. How about you all?

Guest IS1(IW/SW/AW)

I've put a career summary letter the past couple of times, but a Master Chief who sat the board a couple of times had a good point that led me not to this year. They're going to have to dig through your record already, and a roadmap is good sure, but on the off chance you put something there that they cant quickly verify or is hidden in an eval, it throws the whole thing into question. Then again, I've had plenty of friends make it with and without them so who knows!

3 hours ago, Rmss00 said:

What do you guys think about the write up? Do you think it’s a EP, MP or P eval? 

My assumption based off not seeing a soft breakout or ranking that this is either an unranked MP or a P. But with the closer I would go for MP

Guest LS1(SW)
23 minutes ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

My assumption based off not seeing a soft breakout or ranking that this is either an unranked MP or a P. But with the closer I would go for MP

I agree with an MP.  

Guest Skipari
3 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

Agree. The closing line suggests MP. I could also see a transfer EP.

It's a good write-up with documented impact but a breakout line would provide more context.

Guest jake_IT1

Alright guys, let’s shift to this:

How do you think you honestly broke out on the ranking board? Use the pic below, from 0-100 / yes or no.

The picture below is from the Board Selection Process power point. It’s the ranking device they use to stack your career/package...

(Photo credit: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Pages/GeneralInformation.aspx )

0C878BB0-1658-440E-B685-BC358F4A3DDC.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

It gets so slow on the weekends... need time to pass by faster!!

I agree.  This weekend is dragging even though the family has tried to keep busy.  We have a serious heat wave here in VA.. heat index like 114, nothing to enjoy outdoors.  I've got hard copies for December.. looking forward to knowing whether I'll be headed there, or if I'll get selected and redistributed.  I'll have to purposely plan something for next weekend to make the time go by faster LOL.

Guest GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker

So we all know the convening order has changed this year with education/professional development moving into the number 4 spot and collaterals to the number 6 slot,  how do you guys think PPME and SEJPME was weighted this year ?

6 minutes ago, GSE1(SW) Lukeskywalker said:

So we all know the convening order has changed this year with education/professional development moving into the number 4 spot and collaterals to the number 6 slot,  how do you guys think PPME and SEJPME was weighted this year ?

I think they’re just emphasizing that it needs to be done, but they’re looking for more than just that in professional development— are Sailors taking advantage of options such as USMAP etc.  I guess what I’m saying is I don’t necessarily think PPME and SEJPME are anymore important than they were in previous years when it comes to the board.  

• Like 1