FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest ITCS(IDW/SW/AW/IUSS) RET
On 6/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, PO14Life said:

I’m hoping for August 2nd for AD! I will have checked in. Then if I didn’t make it, I can go on house hunting, and cry in my Cheerios or Margaritas. Someone mentioned previously about being transferred right away. What are the chances? Who determines who stays and who goes?

Really depends on the situation. If you are reporting to a ship that has another Chief, then more than likely you would be moved to another ship in the same home port (provided there is not another Chief billet or the Chief already there is slated to xfer).

If shore duty, could be the same as above however, in both situations if you are reporting close to the issuance of the CPO results, the CMC may not have you check in the division as you would wait until pinned to report to your shop.

There are way too many moving parts to each unique situation to give a finite answer. And yes, Fleet Redistribution is still a thing. EPMAC/MILLINGTON is the one who has the final say.

Guest navyordie123

So question for everyone. What is the hardest that you were messed with by the Chiefs Mess prior to results coming out?

Guest ITCS(IDW/SW/AW/IUSS) RET
1 hour ago, kneppercr said:

I don't know about messed with, but I am good and tired of Chiefs telling me that I'm guaranteed to get selected. Hasn't been true the last two years, probably not true this year, but I can't help but get my hopes up just to have them thrashed.

I quickly learned after sitting in a selection board to stop telling people "you for sure are going to be selected" but instead, look at a record and apply the lessons observed in the board to the record and help First Classes improve themselves professionally.

I think, without sitting the board you are simply misleading Sailors by telling them that. Any Chief should and is capable of doing what I described above in a general sense, which in turn further nurtures the relationship between Chief's and First Classes. IMHO, telling them they are going to be selected (and then not actually happening) does the opposite to that relationship.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
4 hours ago, navyordie123 said:

So question for everyone. What is the hardest that you were messed with by the Chiefs Mess prior to results coming out?

Yeah, this is year three for me. Every years I hear it. But my first year was the worst. But each year my hope goes down a bit. I know I’m competitive enough. Just waiting for the right year to get picked. 

Guest navyordie123
4 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

What do you mean by “messed with”

By hyping up for if you get selected and how they can’t wait til you go through the season.

Guest PO14Life
15 hours ago, ITCS(IDW/SW/AW/IUSS) RET said:

Really depends on the situation. If you are reporting to a ship that has another Chief, then more than likely you would be moved to another ship in the same home port (provided there is not another Chief billet or the Chief already there is slated to xfer).

If shore duty, could be the same as above however, in both situations if you are reporting close to the issuance of the CPO results, the CMC may not have you check in the division as you would wait until pinned to report to your shop.

There are way too many moving parts to each unique situation to give a finite answer. And yes, Fleet Redistribution is still a thing. EPMAC/MILLINGTON is the one who has the final say.

I guess I'm just a little hesitant, because I'm already making a long distance move(OCONUS PAC to East Coast) I would be reluctant to move my family again, if I had a choice. I will be a one of one billet, but I don't know what impact that will have. Thank you for the info.

2 hours ago, navyordie123 said:

By hyping up for if you get selected and how they can’t wait til you go through the season.

Got it. Seen others be messed with in this manner but not me personally. I just keep getting told “you’re doing what you need to be. Just keep doing it”

Guest mslteck99
On 6/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, navyordie123 said:

At my previous duty station nearly the entire Mess thought I was a shoe in. I found myself helping out with CPOA fundraisers here and there. I didn’t mind it at all, but sometimes they had conversations I couldn’t be a part of. One of the things that sucks when you have time in and most of your peers are at a level you’re trying to reach.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
10 minutes ago, mslteck99 said:

At my previous duty station nearly the entire Mess thought I was a shoe in. I found myself helping out with CPOA fundraisers here and there. I didn’t mind it at all, but sometimes they had conversations I couldn’t be a part of. One of the things that sucks when you have time in and most of your peers are at a level you’re trying to reach.

Agreed, I’m always happy for them, it’s just sucks when you have the same checks in the box as them and not picked. just always wondering when my name is gonna hey called

Guest navyordie123
3 hours ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

Agreed, I’m always happy for them, it’s just sucks when you have the same checks in the box as them and not picked. just always wondering when my name is gonna hey called

It does suck when that happens, when the list comes out and your name isn’t on it. Then you start to wonder what you need to do big or small to get you over that hump.   I hope that this year is your year and you get selected.

Guest Doc (FMF) E
2 hours ago, BOATSNUGGYD said:

Has anyone heard anything about the FTS/ SELRES result coming soon?

Doesn’t it usually come out around July 4th weekend? Like 10/11th?

Guest Doc (FMF) E

Personally, I was able to identify areas of weakness in my evals and I was able to address them. I have always had EP, at or above the RSCA, etc. but my evals didn’t document leadership well enough. I was a leader and still am a leader. My eval was much better this year at showing just how much I am leading and mentoring sailors. I am also trying to show that I am leading my peers, and even helping chiefs earn their FMF pin as an EFMFWS Coordinator. It’s the little adjustments that I hope will help push me over the line. 

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
18 minutes ago, Doc (FMF) E said:

Doesn’t it usually come out around July 4th weekend? Like 10/11th?

last year they came out on the 21st of june

Guest Doc (FMF) E
12 minutes ago, BOATSNUGGYD said:

last year they came out on the 21st of june

FTS/SELRES results came out July 11th last year. 

Guest navyordie123
12 minutes ago, LS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

It’s about to get real in here

So for all those newbies that haven’t been on here once quotas are released and as time gets closer to results coming out then y’all better batten down the hatches and prepare for rough seas. And a couple days before the results are coming out then general quarters will be called and all stretcher beaters and corpsman will report to all medical stations.