FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest PO Theo

So I have two things I'm curious about. 

1. Historically, hometown recruiters have not been eligible to make Chief and stay hometown. As a result, they are typically given promotable evals. The Hometown Medical Recruiter (HMR) program came out a few years ago and supposedly they are allowed to make Chief. I have a string of promotable evals from when I was a regular hometown recruiter with my most recent eval being #1 EP SOY. Does anyone think the board will understand the reason for my evals being consistently below RSCA? 

2. I had NJP in January 2013 for an offense committed in October 2012. There is an administrative remark in my OMPF, but the nature of the offense is never described anywhere in my record outside of it being labeled as an Article 92. I've heard the five year thing doesn't really apply, so I'm concerned they will see the NJP and want to know what the offense actually was. Anyone have any thoughts? 

PS - my LTB is already submitted, so your advice is more food for thought than anything. 

Guest navyordie123
11 hours ago, PO Theo said:

Good morning, everyone! I'm back for the first time this year. Just submitted my LTB. Why is that always so stressful?

Because we want to get to that next level and be a part of the exclusive brotherhood and sisterhood. 

Guest subguy10524
1 hour ago, SH1(SW/AW/IW) said:

Thank you but I was trying to see what goes in the subject line when sending the encrypted email. 

It doesn’t really matter I think. That goes to a clerk or someone not involved in the board who prints it out or in some way attaches it to your package. 

I have done: “Letter to the board Active E7 FY20(#360) ICO EMN1 Sailor”

somewhat official and helping them know what it is for without having to open a decipher the attachments. 

Guest mslteck99
1 hour ago, subguy10524 said:

It doesn’t really matter I think. That goes to a clerk or someone not involved in the board who prints it out or in some way attaches it to your package. 

I have done: “Letter to the board Active E7 FY20(#360) ICO EMN1 Sailor”

somewhat official and helping them know what it is for without having to open a decipher the attachments. 

After submitting mine, I was helping a couple PO1s with their LTBs. Then I noticed that I left the word “Active” off my cover sheet. Laughing at myself now. 

Guest Guns to CTRCS

Good luck to all! I was in same spot 4 years ago, stalking this page and reading as much as possible. The encryption method DOES WORK, you just have to read and follow the directions. If you guys have any last minute questions before your LTB deadline, just ask. I don't have the magic formula to tell you if you "have enough" but following your Career Path and writing to the Convening Order are basic things you should be doing already. 

Here to help...good luck guys!

Board package has been sent. I verified it was received. Now it's just time to wait. 6th time is a charm? Nothing more I can do on my end other than hope for the best! Good luck to everyone!

Guest ITCS(IDW/SW/AW/IUSS) RET

Good luck all! Keep your heads on a swivel, keep on leading your Sailors and the rest will fall in place!

Guest ITC Harley Rider

LTBs are due soon! Make sure you get them in on time and reach out to your fellow first and verify they do the same. Don’t forget to verify with NPC to make sure they have received your package. good luck to all.

Guest DeepseaSeabee

For the LTB. Correspondence manual says use courier new 12 point font. My admin just rewrote and formatted my cover letter with Times New Roman. Am I wrong for switching it to what the correspondence manual says? Your thoughts. 

7 hours ago, DeepseaSeabee said:

For the LTB. Correspondence manual says use courier new 12 point font. My admin just rewrote and formatted my cover letter with Times New Roman. Am I wrong for switching it to what the correspondence manual says? Your thoughts. 

So for “official correspondence” the preferred font is Times New Roman according to the correspondence manual. The true question is what is the definition of official correspondence?  I was told it’s if it’s letterhead.   I did mine in courier new because since it’s not letter head And I consider it informal. But everyone has different opinions I that.   

Guest PO1Oz
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, mslteck99 said:

After submitting mine, I was helping a couple PO1s with their LTBs. Then I noticed that I left the word “Active” off my cover sheet. Laughing at myself now. 

Doesn't matter really. Board # 360 is for AD anyways. And after having so many MC's look at my packages throughout the years, they don't even look at that. They go straight to the enclosures listing. I think we're sweating the small details to be honest. I mean, a buddy of mine referenced the wrong navadmin and didn't sign his LTB and still made it. It's all about what's in your record.

Guest Gilly
18 hours ago, PO1Oz said:

Doesn't matter really. Board # 360 is for AD anyways. And after having so many MC's look at my packages throughout the years, they don't even look at that. They go straight to the enclosures listing. I think we're sweating the small details to be honest. I mean, a buddy of mine referenced the wrong navadmin and didn't sign his LTB and still made it. It's all about what's in your record.

While I do agree it comes down to mostly what’s in your record, I worry about that crunch time rack and stack where your LTB is one of the few things all the 9s can see and it could be a few small details that get you

3 hours ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

The great mystery of how the board works

Never mind the man with two stars on his anchor behind the curtain.....

Guest subguy10524
14 hours ago, Gilly said:

While I do agree it comes down to mostly what’s in your record, I worry about that crunch time rack and stack where your LTB is one of the few things all the 9s can see and it could be a few small details that get you

14 hours ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

The great mystery of how the board works

I don’t think it is much of a mystery. The briefs are out there. We can all read the precepts that are published every year. 

I think it comes down to leading sailors. What is in your record that shows you care about your sailors. Sure you gotta have your personal quals, your personal things, but what have you done to lead your sailors and impact your command. 

Your letter the board can add stuff that isn’t captured in the November eval since things have happened between them and the board. But I don’t think the letter will be the make or break. 

I equate it to the last minute missed field goal. Would that have won the game? Sure. But what else did you do throughout the year or game that was a mistake that wouldn’t have needed that last second field goal. We should all be focused on the full game and bettering ourselves and our sailors all year and not trying to get that last minute field goal. 

7 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

I don’t think it is much of a mystery. The briefs are out there. We can all read the precepts that are published every year. 

I think it comes down to leading sailors. What is in your record that shows you care about your sailors. Sure you gotta have your personal quals, your personal things, but what have you done to lead your sailors and impact your command. 

Your letter the board can add stuff that isn’t captured in the November eval since things have happened between them and the board. But I don’t think the letter will be the make or break. 

I equate it to the last minute missed field goal. Would that have won the game? Sure. But what else did you do throughout the year or game that was a mistake that wouldn’t have needed that last second field goal. We should all be focused on the full game and bettering ourselves and our sailors all year and not trying to get that last minute field goal. 

To address two points:

1. You are partially correct on LTB. The true purpose is to submit anything that has not had time to process OR was missing from your OMPF.  A HUGE part of the Selection Board review of you as a Sailor is not only your EVALs but the accuracy of your records (and what comes in my second point).  If you can't manage your own record, how can we as Chiefs expect you to manage your Sailors records.

2. True, while leading Sailors placed in your charge is paramount, leading your peers is a part of that factor as well.  A healthy balance of EVERYTHING is important, leading your Sailors (Technically and Professionally), Leading a Command Program, and Leading in the Mess.

Yes, you will see some that are Selected without one of the above, it is possible but as one of my old mentors used to tell me "why roll goose eggs? It isn't going to be the same or any easier when you enter the CPO Mess".

Guest Gilly
7 hours ago, ITCS(IDW/SW/AW/IUSS) RET said:

To address two points:

1. You are partially correct on LTB. The true purpose is to submit anything that has not had time to process OR was missing from your OMPF.  A HUGE part of the Selection Board review of you as a Sailor is not only your EVALs but the accuracy of your records (and what comes in my second point).  If you can't manage your own record, how can we as Chiefs expect you to manage your Sailors records.

2. True, while leading Sailors placed in your charge is paramount, leading your peers is a part of that factor as well.  A healthy balance of EVERYTHING is important, leading your Sailors (Technically and Professionally), Leading a Command Program, and Leading in the Mess.

Yes, you will see some that are Selected without one of the above, it is possible but as one of my old mentors used to tell me "why roll goose eggs? It isn't going to be the same or any easier when you enter the CPO Mess".

Senior,

To your first point, if we can’t update our own records and my local PSD has stated they refuse to update my record until I re-enlist why does it become such a detractor and thought of as I can’t maintain my record?

I now tell my Sailors never re-enlist longer than 3 years so they never have to face a 6 year gap like I’m in the midst of. 🤦‍♂️

Guest subguy10524
16 hours ago, ITCS(IDW/SW/AW/IUSS) RET said:

To address two points:

You are 100% correct. Thanks for clarifying. I should have included those points in my reply also. 

And as you say, sometimes a record sticks out to someone and the board sees something and the person makes chief without absolutely everything. Fully qualified of course, and best qualified in the eyes of the board. 

11 hours ago, Gilly said:

Senior,

To your first point, if we can’t update our own records and my local PSD has stated they refuse to update my record until I re-enlist why does it become such a detractor and thought of as I can’t maintain my record?

I now tell my Sailors never re-enlist longer than 3 years so they never have to face a 6 year gap like I’m in the midst of. 🤦‍♂️

I would first ask, what has your chain of command said in response to what your local PSD is telling you?  Additionally, there is a multitude of things you can scan and submit for inclusion to your record using NPC as your guide.

With NSIPS being the new thing, your CMD ADMIN should be able to transfer via TOPS to PSD for inclusion to your record. If what you are saying is happening, I would ask through your leadership if PSD would be willing to provide a letter you could include in your LTB stating that they will not submit anything to your record. Then, I would venture to assume that you have a stack of things you should submit to the board.

As far as your outlook on retention advice to your junior Sailors, I would be cautious of how outspoken you are.  While the days of old (berating Sailors for getting out) have passed, I never made direct advice to Sailors on one or the other (stay in or get out). That is their decision to make.  What I would do however, I would support their decision while asking challenging questions that maybe they weren't factoring in (if getting out), or congratulate their decision to stay Navy while setting real expectations going forward.

8 hours ago, BOATSNUGGYD said:

Any word if the FTS/SELRES board has adjourned????

It’s not scheduled to adjourn until the 7th. Are you asking if it’s done early?  If so I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Boards adjourned early last year and still results posted around normal time. I’d say June 17-21 probably still for results. It was a month for results last year.