FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest mslteck99
2 hours ago, Pebz said:

So a little (NC) bird once told me that your OMPF/ESR *only* gets updated when you re-enlist. You can submit corrections or additions anytime but they won’t show up? This doesn’t even make sense. Someone shed some light? 

Okay....I dealt with this right after transferring to my last unit.  I reenlisted prior to going to shore having never asked the right questions about how all of our systems work and get updated. I had been asking for some help getting years of missing PQS and awards into my record prior to reenlisting, but I guess this wheel wasn’t squeaking enough.  I reenlisted in 2015 and my record looked the same as it did when they did the initial upload in 2009/10, my last PQS was in 07 and I barely had any awards, not even a sea service!

I showed up to shore and explained everything to the YNC, he told me “give me everything you got”, then regretted that statement. I spent my entire shore duty correcting NSIPS, trying to push it to OMPF, but ended up submitting all the NAVPERS forms in every LTB on top of my other enclosures (it happens a lot I’m told). FY18 my YN1 was able to get an updated awards history through to OMPF, although it wasn’t complete, and FY19 another YN1 was able to push my Member Data Summary (but it didn’t get in my record till October).

With, I’d say, 98% of my qual’s and all 35 awards finally listed, they finally moved over to OMPF after I reenlisted this past December. So, long story short, your admin can TOPS anything over, but there is a department in PSD that DETERMINES if it should go in your record or not...even then it takes FOREVER, and I can’t tell you why.

If you want to update your NAVPERS forms in OMPF, you need to get that to your admin ASAP!

6 minutes ago, mslteck99 said:

If you want to update your NAVPERS forms in NSIPS, you need to get that to your admin ASAP!

Your situation is INSANE! But I can’t say I’m surprised. I don’t usually have THAT much missing but it was been like clockwork, every time I transfer, something that was once there is gone, something I’ve been trying forever to get in finally pops up and then I transfer and things disappear again. I swear it’s a game someone is playing. I just always end up submitting an LTB. When I got to my most recent command is when the admin guys told me it only gets “approved” for updates when you re-enlist. Best part is, since there were never any incentives I did a 6 year re-enlistment so that was my longest “gap” and I’ve always continuously sent the updates and missing info. They want to stop getting so many LTBs, they gotta fix THAT system. 

Anyway, congrats to everyone that made board! 

Guest mslteck99
22 minutes ago, Pebz said:

Your situation is INSANE! But I can’t say I’m surprised. I don’t usually have THAT much missing but it was been like clockwork, every time I transfer, something that was once there is gone, something I’ve been trying forever to get in finally pops up and then I transfer and things disappear again. I swear it’s a game someone is playing. I just always end up submitting an LTB. When I got to my most recent command is when the admin guys told me it only gets “approved” for updates when you re-enlist. Best part is, since there were never any incentives I did a 6 year re-enlistment so that was my longest “gap” and I’ve always continuously sent the updates and missing info. They want to stop getting so many LTBs, they gotta fix THAT system. 

Anyway, congrats to everyone that made board! 

I can’t blame anyone else for that but me. I came in the Navy in 2000, and we always did things with hard copy service records. When they did the move over to NSIPS I was on an MSC ship, all of our admin was done shore side, and we were mostly only in on the weekends. My OSC and I didn’t have the connectivity to even check CMSID, we got the req’s in an email, emailed our picks to admin, and it was in their hands from there...off topic, sorry.  We were so busy at RIVRON in ‘11, and I didn’t know the right questions to ask when I first made board.

Since all this has happened to me, I’ve made it my responsibility to explain to my subordinates and my peers the importance of checking records and keeping digital copies.  I don’t shy away from telling a junior Sailor how OS1 messed up, it’s my horror story, and I hope it scares them enough to take care of their records. 

Guest OJ451
5 hours ago, FCAguy said:

Anyone take the new FCAC exam? Since its the first of its kind in wondering what the FMS was.

Im on leave and cant access profile sheet.

Guest OJ451
8 hours ago, OJ451 said:

Whooo hooo Ticket to the show.  92%.  That’s the 6th time in the +90%. If only they cared about test scores on the board.  

Correction......Tickets to the dance.😉

1 hour ago, EMN1 said:

Is there a way for anyone on a .mil cpu to check my board eligible status?

Trusting one there. Your ESO should be able to tell you. 

Guest TacticalChessPiece

Fourth Time up and got a ticket to the dance as well. Found out through a phone call from my skipper. Before I did my unit transfer about four weeks ago, my CMC took a look at my transfer eval and made an adjustment to my Eval by adding the RSCA score (which was a 3.88) into block 43. Final transfer eval was a 4.57. Wishing everyone good luck on their board eligibility!

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

Greetings all. First off CONGRATULATIONS to those who are Selection Board Eligible. For those that did not make the cut, dont let this stop you from pressing forward. Review the areas you did not score well in and re-attack next time!!

With that being said, this is the time to ensure your admin is up to date, i.e. no breaks in continuity, eval gaps, missing evaluations, awards etc. I love me binders come in handy, I know mine did when I had to fix an award.

I wish you the best of luck and if you need anything (record review, genuine feedback on your evals, recommendations, etc.) please let me know.

V/r ITC_RRP.

CWO2 (SEL) 7821

Guest Stazz

5th ticket to the dance (and 1 to the LDO dance) at the 98th percentile. If only that actually mattered. 12 years in now so I'm entering the Navy's "average" window for selection to Chief. Congratulations to those that made board and for those that haven't, start studying. This year feels different, already, so I hope that is a good sign. Best of luck to everyone this summer

Guest mslteck99
2 hours ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

E-8 and E-9 quotas look might lean this year for SELRES, based on that, it looks like a tough year to make OSC (again).....

That sucks...hopefully it’s not so bad on the active side

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
5 hours ago, BOATSNUGGYD said:

has anyone seen a master list for active and FTS who is board eligible?

I think FTS is lumped together with SELRES...am I wrong?

Those have not been released yet

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
7 minutes ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

I think FTS is lumped together with SELRES...am I wrong?

Those have not been released yet

their board commence at  the same time but exam is the same as active so their individual profile sheets have already been released

Guest mslteck99
20 minutes ago, BOATSNUGGYD said:

their board commence at  the same time but exam is the same as active so their individual profile sheets have already been released

I took the exam with a FTS YN1 the past two years. Their board is just before ours, and they get their results just befor ours.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass

Here we go again. I did recently talk a to a retired Master Chief who sat the board twice in his career and he gave some good insight. Even a couple things that I haven’t heard before. Any body have any rumors on proceedings?

Guest mslteck99
On 3/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, Submarinecook1stclass said:

Here we go again. I did recently talk a to a retired Master Chief who sat the board twice in his career and he gave some good insight. Even a couple things that I haven’t heard before. Any body have any rumors on proceedings?

The process is was changed last year, so older Senior Enlisted May have bad gouge...notice I said MAY.

I won “SOY” equivalent at a COCOM last year and was not selected. The Chief Mess racked it up to the the COCOM Board happening after LTBs we’re due. I was down, but kept pressing and left with #1 EP. And was told, “just pass the exam.”

I've transferred to a new command, and have already sat down with a few in rate Senior/Master Chiefs along with other CMCs who sat the AC and FTS board last year. 

Thise that have seen just my last 5 evals had questions, but those that reviewed my PSR were like “WTX!” There was a period in my career as a junior PO1 where my LCPO hurt my pride, and I got a bad attitude about it. That shows on two evals, the second debriefing (2012) was more of an intervention with all seven Chiefs. Everything has been solid since. 

Reason I say this is now they will go all the way back if they have to, everything is accessible. The big difference is instead of two reviewers heading your package and the score determines whether or not you go to the “tank, now EVERYONE goes to the tank and you’re voted on based off of what one reviewer can find in your record to brief. If you can make it to the crunch, that is when your SME will go through your record with a fine tooth comb and rebrief your record.

I was told last year there were people with Silver Stars not being selected.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass

Yeah I have heard that there changes. The master Chief I had talked to us recently retired. I had heard of course about after the two personnel that slate your record, you go to the tank, and the tank does a third look at your record. If after the two who grade your record and the tank grade it and the scores are to far apart in pints determined by the president, it will get regraded a fourth time. One piece of information he told me was when they are looking at your record. It’s not like that they are looking at all your evaluation and awards in front of them. He said that they are looking at purged information from your record, with exception to your letter to the board that is the only time they will read line for line everything that you send.

he also said that if it comes closes between some candidates and they have to get information pay five years to compete. They only take positive information  past last five years not negative. Again these are just some details he sent. He emphasized to me that it’s My package and my letter to the board, when send information send what make you comfortable. If your comfortable sending nothing then send nothing but if it makes you comfortable sending 10+ pages then send it.  

Again a lot was things I have heard before but some was good ensight.

So there is a social media site that has a page by the name of “navy reserve careercompass” that has a video today by CMDCM Heisler that is about 12-13 mins long, that gives some good advice and info in regards to presenting your package to the selection board. Also gives what insight he can on the board process as he was the SEA for last years FTS and SELRES E7 selection board. Could be worth a look for those interested. 

Guest Stazz
19 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

So there is a social media site that has a page by the name of “navy reserve careercompass” that has a video today by CMDCM Heisler that is about 12-13 mins long, that gives some good advice and info in regards to presenting your package to the selection board. Also gives what insight he can on the board process as he was the SEA for last years FTS and SELRES E7 selection board. Could be worth a look for those interested. 

He's also the first person I've heard say to send a career summary page. I haven't the first 4 times, but I'm thinking about putting one together for this board. I've been in two communities but 4 different aircraft platforms and an instructor tour. I've essentially hit "reset" every 3 years with qualifications and having to work my way from the bottom to be competitive with my peer group.

3 hours ago, Stazz said:

He's also the first person I've heard say to send a career summary page. I haven't the first 4 times, but I'm thinking about putting one together for this board. I've been in two communities but 4 different aircraft platforms and an instructor tour. I've essentially hit "reset" every 3 years with qualifications and having to work my way from the bottom to be competitive with my peer group.

I am still undecided about a career summary. They still have to go verify everything you put on it. What I would love to hear someone put some clarification on is things in block 44 like PPME/SEJPME cert. I hear equally “if it’s in your record, don’t send it” or “send it so it doesn’t get overlooked”.  He mentioned all documents of winning SOQ or JSOQ. Even though it’s on an eval, should I send my cookie cutter LOC that I got for winning JSOQ from 2012? Wish I could actually sit down with someone who has sat a recent board to go through my I love me book and recommend things to send in