Jump to content
Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran

AME1

FY20 Chief Selection Board

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Stazz
On 11/14/2018 at 8:56 PM, DeepCLeprechaun35 said:

Anyone familiar with ranking boards for the E6 level? Also if you have a new reporting senior but your previous eval from the same command was an EP, does it get dropped bc of a new CO or does it remain in effect? Any knowledge would be much appreciated, thank you.

Your eval can change every year between P, MP, EP (or worse) depending on your performance. Typically, the ranking board is going to show progress/ growth by moving you up from one year to the next, but there are factors that can affect that. Generally speaking, if you get bumped down from EP to MP at the same command, you want the write-up to address it, i.e. reduction of summary group. If you are bumped down because of change of senior rater, the board will see that and it is not a big deal. Don't get hung up on EP or MP though, the write-up is most important followed by being above the summary group average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

subguy10524

There are people still here! Always crazy the lull in conversation when it isn’t board season. 

How did the eval cycle go for everyone? I had 11 months at my command. Managed an MP out of 18 first classes and above summary group average. 

Was hoping for an EP, but I don’t have all my quals 100% complete yet. Dropped from an EP at my last command. Write up has leadership and management of my work center and LPO at sea.  So hopefully, this will work out favorably! 

How did everyone else do?

  • Like 1
  • Cool! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony

Remember folks, when signing up, you have to respond to the validation email. If you are not getting the email then you may need to whitelist NavyAdvancement.com or contact your IT. Otherwise, I cannot email you saying that there is a pending request because you won't get that email either! :o

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mslteck99
On 11/27/2018 at 6:48 PM, subguy10524 said:

There are people still here! Always crazy the lull in conversation when it isn’t board season. 

How did the eval cycle go for everyone? I had 11 months at my command. Managed an MP out of 18 first classes and above summary group average. 

Was hoping for an EP, but I don’t have all my quals 100% complete yet. Dropped from an EP at my last command. Write up has leadership and management of my work center and LPO at sea.  So hopefully, this will work out favorably! 

How did everyone else do?

#1 EP with .44 above RSCA, but they took my four billets and collapsed then into two and removed a few dollar amounts and personnel numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
subguy10524
5 hours ago, mslteck99 said:

#1 EP with .44 above RSCA, but they took my four billets and collapsed then into two and removed a few dollar amounts and personnel numbers. 

Congrats on the great breakout! 

Did you ask about the billets and amounts before signing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mslteck99
18 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

Congrats on the great breakout! 

Did you ask about the billets and amounts before signing?

I did! The CAPT said the board isn’t worried about how many tickets you sold, how much you raised, or how many organizations participated in a parade. He separated all the personnel numbers to prevent confusion, “you led all the ALL of the E6 and below here, but you also trained all the Navy personnel. It’s confusing to say you led mentored trained 91 Sailors, then advocated for the command’s 130+ E6 and below. The board doesn’t like confusing.”

“It’s all in the actions you did and capturing the leadership behind it, that’s what I focused on, your leadership in EVERYTHING you did!” 

Senior discussed it with me when the CAPT stepped out to talk to the one star, “this is his view point, but it’s a GREAT view point” he was more than satisfied with it, and that is saying something after the MCs that reviewed my record loved the last eval Senior played a huge part of. 

BAD8E47E-2CB0-46B6-B9A7-987360472983.jpeg

  • Cool! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stazz
On 11/27/2018 at 6:48 PM, subguy10524 said:

There are people still here! Always crazy the lull in conversation when it isn’t board season. 

How did the eval cycle go for everyone? I had 11 months at my command. Managed an MP out of 18 first classes and above summary group average. 

Was hoping for an EP, but I don’t have all my quals 100% complete yet. Dropped from an EP at my last command. Write up has leadership and management of my work center and LPO at sea.  So hopefully, this will work out favorably! 

How did everyone else do?

MP above Summary Group, so that's a win after the 2017 fiasco of absolutely zero transfers. 10 months QA ALPO and 2 months LPO in Avionics at sea (Deployment, RIMPAC, Fallon, SUSTEX). My Sailors produced and were recognized (MAP, '17 SOY, '18 SOY, 100% warfare qual'd, etc.) Led SAILOR 360, duty section, FCPOA Fundraising.

While I feel I deserved better ranking, I've spent 3 consecutive years on Nx and understand that, unfortunately, face-time does matter and it was directly commented on at my debrief (Freudian slip). I got what I needed to make my PSR PT 3 to show progress on the 'lazy Z'. I feel this will lead the board members to have a more favorable opinion as they dig deeper in my record. The last check in the block on my LADR is now complete as well with LPO. This year better be the year- tired to taking tests and don't want to have to take 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mslteck99
4 hours ago, Stazz said:

MP above Summary Group, so that's a win after the 2017 fiasco of absolutely zero transfers. 10 months QA ALPO and 2 months LPO in Avionics at sea (Deployment, RIMPAC, Fallon, SUSTEX). My Sailors produced and were recognized (MAP, '17 SOY, '18 SOY, 100% warfare qual'd, etc.) Led SAILOR 360, duty section, FCPOA Fundraising.

While I feel I deserved better ranking, I've spent 3 consecutive years on Nx and understand that, unfortunately, face-time does matter and it was directly commented on at my debrief (Freudian slip). I got what I needed to make my PSR PT 3 to show progress on the 'lazy Z'. I feel this will lead the board members to have a more favorable opinion as they dig deeper in my record. The last check in the block on my LADR is now complete as well with LPO. This year better be the year- tired to taking tests and don't want to have to take 2.

I'm there with you...about tested out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PO1(IW/FMF)
On 11/27/2018 at 6:48 PM, subguy10524 said:

There are people still here! Always crazy the lull in conversation when it isn’t board season. 

How did the eval cycle go for everyone? I had 11 months at my command. Managed an MP out of 18 first classes and above summary group average. 

Was hoping for an EP, but I don’t have all my quals 100% complete yet. Dropped from an EP at my last command. Write up has leadership and management of my work center and LPO at sea.  So hopefully, this will work out favorably! 

How did everyone else do?

Only been on board 4 months and got the Welcome Aboard P and a below RSCA trait average, and every CPO that talked to me made it very clear I was getting it. But the write up is def way better than a P write up as told to me by the few CPOs that have seen it so hopefully that will speak enough at the board. Hopefully between that and the transfer eval my package will be an improvement from last year. Not much leadership in the 4 month but I’m also at a staff command so... but plenty in last years and the transfer with Sailors producing greatly as well as FY17 BJOY and JSOY. 

 

Happy holidays everyone and keep studying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony

Take heed, in NAVADMIN 312/18 (Advancement Policy Update). 2. a. "This change is intended to reward our most talented Sailors who display sustained superior performance."

For those those going up for Chief who have frequented this forum, this validates that Sustained Superior Performance is still very important!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ET(SS)

It's a bit pre-mature, but I'm trying to set myself up for success in the coming cycle. I'm studying hard and hope to make board (99'd the last test), but my biggest concern is my LTB. Is anyone who made it the last couple cycles with a solid LTB wiling to help me out? I was only at my command for 3 months, with a three week school, by the time evals were due and want to explain some things. I.e., the date I actually got into the controlled access building through my check in process, the three weeks of school, and then add my designation letters that I couldn't get routed before the due date. The writeup is pretty solid for a new check in P, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SK2006
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, mslteck99 said:

I did! The CAPT said the board isn’t worried about how many tickets you sold, how much you raised, or how many organizations participated in a parade. He separated all the personnel numbers to prevent confusion, “you led all the ALL of the E6 and below here, but you also trained all the Navy personnel. It’s confusing to say you led mentored trained 91 Sailors, then advocated for the command’s 130+ E6 and below. The board doesn’t like confusing.”

“It’s all in the actions you did and capturing the leadership behind it, that’s what I focused on, your leadership in EVERYTHING you did!” 

Senior discussed it with me when the CAPT stepped out to talk to the one star, “this is his view point, but it’s a GREAT view point” he was more than satisfied with it, and that is saying something after the MCs that reviewed my record loved the last eval Senior played a huge part of. 

BAD8E47E-2CB0-46B6-B9A7-987360472983.jpeg

@mslteck99 , Great job on getting the number one EP in your rankings! Alot of great awards, volunteering and community involvement. The only key thing I believe you are missing is documentation on your Job.  I would suggest taking a look at the last CNO and MCPON PODcast in regards to what boards are looking for in order to promote better leaders in the warfighting effort. The number one thing is Job performance and how well you did in your rating. This aspect is identified to the board by the documented performance on your EVAL. The Navy is getting away from what it has been doing for the past decade and are searching for rating experts again. I wish this information was documented on your most recent EVAL. Hopefully your previous evaluations provide a more prominent outlook in regards to your rating. Good Luck!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mslteck99
On 1/2/2019 at 8:18 PM, SK2006 said:

@mslteck99 , Great job on getting the number one EP in your rankings! Alot of great awards, volunteering and community involvement. The only key thing I believe you are missing is documentation on your Job.  I would suggest taking a look at the last CNO and MCPON PODcast in regards to what boards are looking for in order to promote better leaders in the warfighting effort. The number one thing is Job performance and how well you did in your rating. This aspect is identified to the board by the documented performance on your EVAL. The Navy is getting away from what it has been doing for the past decade and are searching for rating experts again. I wish this information was documented on your most recent EVAL. Hopefully your previous evaluations provide a more prominent outlook in regards to your rating. Good Luck!

Thank you!  I will take a look at the podcasts you mentioned. Unfortunately, the past three years I’ve been at a joint command working on the JOCC prior to being the CMC’s EA. The work we did on the floor was noted in my previous evals, and the end of tour I just received summed it all up again. I was told by a couple of MCs that sat this past board that I need to go back to sea, before this three year stint at a joint command (my only shore duty in 18.5 years) I worked 5.5 over at RIVRON. 

I could have made some better decisions with my career, but my last five years I feel I’ve made an impression on quite a few junior Sailors. While not putting on Chief would be disappointing, I feel that the work I’ve put in over the recent years has done wonders for my subordinates who never thought they could be the “golden child.”  

Thanks again for the input, hopefully this next eval can align with these new visions. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PO1(IW/FMF)

Exam week, good luck everyone

  • Cool! 1
  • That Sounds Good!! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ord3i

Hopefully everyone knocks the test out of the park so we can all prepare for the board. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PO1(IW/FMF)

Now the wait for Selection Board eligibility results. Felt good about the exam, hopefully that doesn’t translate into the standard navy thinking 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ord3i

I feel the same way about every exam.  I know most but not all.  I average in the 70's for exam score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MannyTheET

Alright how many brains are still hurting?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PO1(IW/FMF)

Now that the test is over I expect the conversations will pick up some, but probably still slow until SBE results 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
subguy10524
9 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

Now that the test is over I expect the conversations will pick up some, but probably still slow until SBE results 

I would expect the same. And even then, the real action doesn’t occur until August. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PO1(IW/FMF)
9 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

I would expect the same. And even then, the real action doesn’t occur until August. 

I’d say late June (board convenes June 24) to early July when the rumor mills start grinding again. Pending any board compromises.  By August I’d expect the FY-21 to start up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ET(SS)

Has anyone used the FMS Calulator app? The historical cut information was updated not long before the test. I looked up a couple of rates, averages for both over the last 3 years was 157.2 to make the 60% cut. That equals a 3.8 PMA and 48 SS on the exam, or a 3.6 and 58 for the two I saw. According to the NAC, "A SS of 70 indicates candidate scored higher than 98% of all candidates, 60 indicates 84%, 50 indicates 50%, 40 indicates 16%, 30 indicates 2%, and 20 indicates 1%". I'm glad they're being more transparent with the historical cuts, gives you somewhere to aim. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony
3 hours ago, ET(SS) said:

Has anyone used the FMS Calulator app? The historical cut information was updated not long before the test. I looked up a couple of rates, averages for both over the last 3 years was 157.2 to make the 60% cut. That equals a 3.8 PMA and 48 SS on the exam, or a 3.6 and 58 for the two I saw. According to the NAC, "A SS of 70 indicates candidate scored higher than 98% of all candidates, 60 indicates 84%, 50 indicates 50%, 40 indicates 16%, 30 indicates 2%, and 20 indicates 1%". I'm glad they're being more transparent with the historical cuts, gives you somewhere to aim. 

At the bottom of the linked page, I have the new "E4 Through E7 Final Multiple Score" chart and right above that, in the yellow box, is the link to the FMS Calculator app.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PO1(IW/FMF)
22 hours ago, ET(SS) said:

Has anyone used the FMS Calulator app? The historical cut information was updated not long before the test. I looked up a couple of rates, averages for both over the last 3 years was 157.2 to make the 60% cut. That equals a 3.8 PMA and 48 SS on the exam, or a 3.6 and 58 for the two I saw. According to the NAC, "A SS of 70 indicates candidate scored higher than 98% of all candidates, 60 indicates 84%, 50 indicates 50%, 40 indicates 16%, 30 indicates 2%, and 20 indicates 1%". I'm glad they're being more transparent with the historical cuts, gives you somewhere to aim. 

Do you have a link to this info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ET(SS)
20 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

Do you have a link to this info?

The app is the only way I know to get it.

Screenshot_20190121-084723.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

    • bmaciver


×
×
  • Create New...