FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest Gilly
On 6/3/2019 at 2:09 AM, ITCS(IDW/SW/AW/IUSS) RET said:

I would first ask, what has your chain of command said in response to what your local PSD is telling you?  Additionally, there is a multitude of things you can scan and submit for inclusion to your record using NPC as your guide.

With NSIPS being the new thing, your CMD ADMIN should be able to transfer via TOPS to PSD for inclusion to your record. If what you are saying is happening, I would ask through your leadership if PSD would be willing to provide a letter you could include in your LTB stating that they will not submit anything to your record. Then, I would venture to assume that you have a stack of things you should submit to the board.

As far as your outlook on retention advice to your junior Sailors, I would be cautious of how outspoken you are.  While the days of old (berating Sailors for getting out) have passed, I never made direct advice to Sailors on one or the other (stay in or get out). That is their decision to make.  What I would do however, I would support their decision while asking challenging questions that maybe they weren't factoring in (if getting out), or congratulate their decision to stay Navy while setting real expectations going forward.

Everyone at the command is aware of the PSD backlog. My NSIPS is properly updated, unfortunately that isn’t available to the board for review. My OMPF is the issue, so my LTB included 18 enclosures. 

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely add it to the toolbox 

Guest ITCS(IDW/SW/AW/IUSS) RET
30 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Everyone at the command is aware of the PSD backlog. My NSIPS is properly updated, unfortunately that isn’t available to the board for review. My OMPF is the issue, so my LTB included 18 enclosures. 

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely add it to the toolbox 

No worries, please do not take anything I wrote above as a personal attack, only my perspective on what you shared.

Often times what people fail to recognize is the fact that the Selection board can only see what they have access to. 

You are correct, OMPF is the main access point that is prepped for board members to look at. Often times what I would recommend to my First Classes (dependent on that is missing from OMPF) is to print the summary report from NSIPS and submit that instead of multiple pages (contained in the NSIPS report) to submit in the LTB.

Guest HT4Life87

i was wondering about the air gap. I received a transfer MP on my way out. my most recent eval I had a hard break out MP for my first eval at the command. not to mention the person who gave me the air gap also gave me an EOOW letter. will the board take this into consideration

3 hours ago, HT4Life87 said:

i was wondering about the air gap. I received a transfer MP on my way out. my most recent eval I had a hard break out MP for my first eval at the command. not to mention the person who gave me the air gap also gave me an EOOW letter. will the board take this into consideration

So let me make sure I am tracking correctly: Your first EVAL at the CMD was an MP, your second EVAL was a transfer MP? 

The EOOW Designation Letter is a great addition to your record!

Guest mslteck99
On 6/2/2019 at 7:44 AM, Gilly said:

Senior,

To your first point, if we can’t update our own records and my local PSD has stated they refuse to update my record until I re-enlist why does it become such a detractor and thought of as I can’t maintain my record?

I now tell my Sailors never re-enlist longer than 3 years so they never have to face a 6 year gap like I’m in the midst of. 🤦‍♂️

I completely understand the headache of trying to update the NSIPS documents in OMPF. When we went to an online system, I had no idea what NSIPS was about past eLeave. I never asked the right questions when I first started putting together LTBs, my fault.  When one of my leaders was able to completely explain everything to me, I was right on top of re-enlistment. I worked with admin, and was able to quickly update everything, but still had to wait three years to have everything placed in OMPF.

My admin had sent everything into PSD each of those three years, well ahead of exam results, but nothing was ever uploaded. This past year YN1 explained to me that it was up to PSD to process paperwork for individuals who weren’t reenlisting. Something regarding major degradation between what showed in OMPF vs. what is in NSIPS would be needed before they would consider pushing your paperwork.

I don’t tell my Sailors to shorten their reenlistments, but I have told them of my experiences and have urged them to stay on top of these things.

8 hours ago, mslteck99 said:

I completely understand the headache of trying to update the NSIPS documents in OMPF. When we went to an online system, I had no idea what NSIPS was about past eLeave. I never asked the right questions when I first started putting together LTBs, my fault.  When one of my leaders was able to completely explain everything to me, I was right on top of re-enlistment. I worked with admin, and was able to quickly update everything, but still had to wait three years to have everything placed in OMPF.

My admin had sent everything into PSD each of those three years, well ahead of exam results, but nothing was ever uploaded. This past year YN1 explained to me that it was up to PSD to process paperwork for individuals who weren’t reenlisting. Something regarding major degradation between what showed in OMPF vs. what is in NSIPS would be needed before they would consider pushing your paperwork.

I don’t tell my Sailors to shorten their reenlistments, but I have told them of my experiences and have urged them to stay on top of these things.

Outstanding!

Exactly what we as Chief's are looking for our deck plate leaders to be doing!

Guest AG1 Clark

Does anyone have an inside bead on when the results are going to be released. I saw the quotas were released on May 20th. I was under the impression that information was released shortly before the results were. I am a bit confused and anxious about it. 

AG1 Clark 

Guest navyordie123

I hope that every one is having a good morning and are starting to gear up for what seems like is going to be a long month and a half till the results come out. I hope that everyone got their LTBs in.

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
20 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

I hope that every one is having a good morning and are starting to gear up for what seems like is going to be a long month and a half till the results come out. I hope that everyone got their LTBs in.

At least till quotas come out in 12 days

Guest navyordie123
2 hours ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

At least till quotas come out in 12 days

That is very true, I think most feel the same way that I do is that once quotas are out that the mind games really start to kick in. I always try not to think about it even after then since it is still a month or so away but we all know that it is hard to do. 

On 6/12/2019 at 1:00 PM, navyordie123 said:

That is very true, I think most feel the same way that I do is that once quotas are out that the mind games really start to kick in. I always try not to think about it even after then since it is still a month or so away but we all know that it is hard to do. 

It’s crazy (and yes I used to be one) all the complaining that happens for the E4-E6 results. Waiting 2-2 1/2 months is a lifetime to them.  I then explain to them that we wait 2 months just to find out if we have to wait almost 5 more. That month after quotas come out is a rough one. Happy waiting everyone and best of luck. 

Guest Submarinecook1stclass

Normally after the quotas come out is also when their will go from 10 pages to 60 pages in a week on here

5 hours ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

Normally after the quotas come out is also when their will go from 10 pages to 60 pages in a week on here

It’s funny to go back and look at last years forum and we are right about the same area. I think about 1 page behind on last years pace

• Like 1

Good morning  everybody,

Long time reader first time poster. I signed a transfer eval today and I was curious if I had enough time to get into ompf before the ad board convened or if anybody had a resource to get it expedited. Only reason I’m interested is because I just won a big navy award for 2018 instructor of the year but it’s not documented anywhere since I was just selected this week. Thank you

Guest mslteck99
3 hours ago, OrdieLife said:

Good morning  everybody,

Long time reader first time poster. I signed a transfer eval today and I was curious if I had enough time to get into ompf before the ad board convened or if anybody had a resource to get it expedited. Only reason I’m interested is because I just won a big navy award for 2018 instructor of the year but it’s not documented anywhere since I was just selected this week. Thank you

I’m no YN, but they usually tell you that stuff takes awhile to hit your record, sorry for the bad news. I feel that pain though, last year I was selected as USSOUTHCOM’s COCOM of the Year the Friday prior to the board convening.

It’s a long shot, but maybe someone here has a PERS contact that can try to push the eval. Never hurts to ask around. Good Luck!

Guest mslteck99
17 hours ago, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

It’s funny to go back and look at last years forum and we are right about the same area. I think about 1 page behind on last years pace

How about all the posts with the rumor mill about the date of result release? That’s when the pages really ramp up!

Guest mslteck99
17 hours ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

Looking mighty lean for OSC again....(roll eyes here)

OH MAN! You’d have better luck active! I think we’ve averaged around 27% since it dropped from 40% in FY14.

1 hour ago, mslteck99 said:

I’m no YN, but they usually tell you that stuff takes awhile to hit your record, sorry for the bad news. I feel that pain though, last year I was selected as USSOUTHCOM’s COCOM of the Year the Friday prior to the board convening.

It’s a long shot, but maybe someone here has a PERS contact that can try to push the eval. Never hurts to ask around. Good Luck!

I figured as much but was worth seeing if anybody here had any hookups appreciate it! 

8 hours ago, mslteck99 said:

How about all the posts with the rumor mill about the date of result release? That’s when the pages really ramp up!

Or how about the guy who has a hook up such as Bill whose wife knows the dog groomer of the Admiral's Aunt who happens to know where in the chain the Chief's results are at? 

:128_19:

• Ha Ha 1

Guest navyordie123

I would love to see how many pages we get to by the time results come out for both reserve and active. I know before it has gotten up almost to the mid 100s.  I’m guessing active quotas will be out by first week of July before the 4th. 

Guest PO14Life

I’m hoping for August 2nd for AD! I will have checked in. Then if I didn’t make it, I can go on house hunting, and cry in my Cheerios or Margaritas. Someone mentioned previously about being transferred right away. What are the chances? Who determines who stays and who goes?

Guest navyordie123
3 hours ago, PO14Life said:

I’m hoping for August 2nd for AD! I will have checked in. Then if I didn’t make it, I can go on house hunting, and cry in my Cheerios or Margaritas. Someone mentioned previously about being transferred right away. What are the chances? Who determines who stays and who goes?

It does happen where you can get transferred but it usually depends on manning. 

On 6/15/2019 at 8:40 AM, navyordie123 said:

It does happen where you can get transferred but it usually depends on manning. 

I wish this was an option for me if I get selected